• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

They are going to build a Toyota Century SUV??😱 @iRage you got more news on this?

Suzuki is showcasing an EV in Autoexpo India.

https://media.suzuki.co.uk/en-gb/releases/833

The eVX is an all-electric concept SUV derived out of Suzuki’s first global strategic EV. It is scheduled to be introduced to the market by 2025. Suzuki offers SUV models such as the Grand Vitara and S-CROSS in various countries around the world. The eVX is a BEV model that combines Suzuki’s strong 4x4 DNA with the advanced features of the latest BEVs. The exterior is designed to be instantly recognizable as a Suzuki SUV. In addition, it aims to carry forward the brand’s 4x4 legacy into the new electric era to deliver a true Suzuki SUV driving experience

On 9/2/2022 at 9:41 AM, iRage said:

トヨタが高性能モデル「GRカローラ」の日本仕様車を世界初公開【Movie】 【ニュース】 - webCG

Pricing for the GR Corolla is due around the 7th of September with additional data on the 14th. There are rumors on the internet on the prices but those are more or less rumors and so far nothing official (so it might be right it might be wrong).

Was wondering why this was not discussed more here!!

I've been closely following the release of the GR Corolla and I'm so excited for this car to arrive in Australia. Since Mitsubishi and Subaru are out of the game, I really don't see any other (Japanese) alternative to this rally inspired, all wheel drive hot hatch. It fetches a hefty price tag though. 

It was released in New Zealand just a few days ago and we have pictures circulating in Australian forums of multiple examples of the car having arrived at ports here to be shipped to dealerships!

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-arrives-australia/?fbclid=IwAR1z8lyedqAapVb89LM90e4fXZytwpUCF-JONensep_UFZy7Mn73Zqrwfs0

Never thought I'd say this about a Corolla - but DAMN! 😍

7 hours ago, Gummybr said:

hey are going to build a Toyota Century SUV??😱

The Bestcar magazine printed an article about some rumors that there might be a super luxury crossover from Toyota and that it might carry the Century badge. It also stated that this might be in line with Toyota's plans to launch previously Japan exclusive model nameplates in other regions (where SUVs are preferred and can be easily taken over by a newcomer than sedans in the luxury segment).

So at this point in time it is something that may or may not happen. It wouldn't be a surprise if it does as they have literally turned everything name plate into a crossover. Even if a crossover is released it doesn't necessarily mean that the sedan will be cut off. Like in the Crown the sedan might be a Japan only variant (or limited to strategic markets)

Edited by iRage

7 hours ago, Davy said:

Was wondering why this was not discussed more here!!

I've been closely following the release of the GR Corolla and I'm so excited for this car to arrive in Australia. Since Mitsubishi and Subaru are out of the game, I really don't see any other (Japanese) alternative to this rally inspired, all wheel drive hot hatch. It fetches a hefty price tag though. 

It was released in New Zealand just a few days ago and we have pictures circulating in Australian forums of multiple examples of the car having arrived at ports here to be shipped to dealerships!

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-arrives-australia/?fbclid=IwAR1z8lyedqAapVb89LM90e4fXZytwpUCF-JONensep_UFZy7Mn73Zqrwfs0

Never thought I'd say this about a Corolla - but DAMN! 😍

I suppose there isn't much to discuss? The Americans are going crazy over it as this is their first experience with the power and drive trains. The Japanese' attitude towards it is more subdued and is seen as a grown-up version of the GR Yaris. Whilst the GRC is more friendly for long haul runs and track days, the GR Yaris is more harsh and suited for rallying. There are no GRCs in Japan for test drives and the only ones available are a few test mules which are making the rounds across the country and also been given to the usual car testers.

I do not like the way it looks, granted I admit it does look a lot better in person. At the end of the day the physical design looks like an after-thought where someone took a standard Corolla and stuck plastic body parts on it. The WRX, Evo X, etc...all had bespoke, nicely sculptured and integrated body panels. Black is the most agreeable color IMO.

For Japan, the original plan was to have 100 Morizo editions sold by lottery and the standard grade RZ (which is equivalent to the circuit package in export markets) as a free for all standard catalog model. However, due to production issues, Toyota decided to sell even the RZ grade on lottery (just 500 for Japan for the first batch of deliveries). Lottery applications went on from 2nd to 18th December. Lottery for the Morizo edition was drawn and prospective owners notified last Friday. The RZ grade lottery gets drawn next Monday to something. So....the biggest issue with the GRC is going to be supply. If you want one...you are going to have to wait for a long time indefinitely. By which time, I would not be surprised if the owners of the first deliveries will be flipping them for a markup (in Japan the biggest issue is resellers buying these cars up from the manufacturer for resale at high markups, seen it with the Land Cruiser 300, Fairlady Z and even the new Type R). As it stands, Japan is set to see deliveries start around summer (500 in total) and then similar batches every 2nd quarter or so (if one was to apply for the second round of lottery they will see the car around Q2 2024)

Personal opinion about the car: No matter what is said and done it simply does not bring any memories of the old Corolla GTs or Levins or the Corolla TRD racers, even though Toyota likes to draw parallels. It is a completely different beast built up on a Corolla platform using a bespoke high-power engine (in fact the turbo charged 1.2L Corolla has more of a feel of the old school Corolla GTs). As mentioned before, the engine's power delivery seems to have been smoothened out compared to the GR Yaris and is helped by slightly different gearing. Apart from that the GRC exibits characteristics of a typical longer wheel-base car as opposed to the shorter wheel-based GRY (how the car pivots, point and degree of understeer, etc...). The GRC does have dynamic drive mode selection system that the GRY does not have (steering weight, accelerator response, etc... can be changed to NORMAL, SPORT or CUSTOM). 

As a daily livable car, I do find the Civic Type R more appealing. The interior feel and refinement of the materials are a lot lot better. Also, the gear throws are much nicer in the Civic than in the GRYaris (and thus the GRC). Compared to the GRC, the CTR feels more roomier and has light coming in through these things called windows :D The GRC and the GRY are very dark inside thanks to the acres and acres of dull black plastic and the interior shape

Do I want one? I was hoping I would fall in love with it when I saw it...sadly it wasn't so (I had to try real hard to convince myself I wanted one...)

Finally I did go to apply for the lottery.  Interestingly, I was talked out of it (here is the kicker) by the GR Garage and Toyota dealership guys ! Their view was that I should hold on to the GRY as there is no guarantee when I could or if I would ever get a GRC (I went to apply on the morning of the 3rd of December, less than 12 hours after the lottery applications opened and there were already 5600+ applicants). Their other point was that the driving experience will not be that much different than the GRY and the greatest and only benefit will only be the practicality. 

The RZ, with Toyota Safety Sense (the full suite is only offered as an option in Japan), the JBL sound package with some unwanted techie stuff, carpets and visors came to 5.8 million yen (which includes tax and registration). For reference, the GR Yaris similarly spec'd came it at 5.2mil yen and the Civic Type R at 5.6 mil yen (granted the Civic had a lot more accessories as standard).

Instead...ended up getting a standard Corolla (as they had one that they could give in less than 2 weeks...on going delivery time for a standard Corolla is 10 months). AND....went and signed up for a Civic Type R...which I may or may not get...in 3-4 years time....go figure. 

Why 3-4 years ?

Well..both the GR Yaris and Civic Type R have officially closed the order books. Toyota does not accept anything for the GR Yaris (even the catalogs are gone but the model has not officially been stopped) whilst Honda gives out non-committal contracts to be on a waiting list. Delivery time for the GR Yaris is nearly one year. CTR on the other hand...orders from pre-launch to November will be delivered through-out the next 1.5 years-2 years. Factor in the waiting list, my delivery time would be closer to 3 years. 

DSC_2389.thumb.JPG.8df4c5dd3863875bc6dc4578f9a43df6.JPGDSC_2387.thumb.JPG.0576601d54908b9688ed24b7b7e24017.JPGDSC_2385.thumb.JPG.56fe27c5c0d8ef37cb5b96e64d01881f.JPGDSC_2384.thumb.JPG.b6c0099aca1448c27b102493ac974b73.JPGDSC_2383.thumb.JPG.4949441cc450b27788ffbd9123504738.JPG

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, iRage said:

I suppose there isn't much to discuss? The Americans are going crazy over it as this is their first experience with the power and drive trains. The Japanese' attitude towards it is more subdued and is seen as a grown-up version of the GR Yaris. Whilst the GRC is more friendly for long haul runs and track days, the GR Yaris is more harsh and suited for rallying. There are no GRCs in Japan for test drives and the only ones available are a few test mules which are making the rounds across the country and also been given to the usual car testers.

I do not like the way it looks, granted I admit it does look a lot better in person. At the end of the day the physical design looks like an after-thought where someone took a standard Corolla and stuck plastic body parts on it. The WRX, Evo X, etc...all had bespoke, nicely sculptured and integrated body panels. Black is the most agreeable color IMO.

For Japan, the original plan was to have 100 Morizo editions sold by lottery and the standard grade RZ (which is equivalent to the circuit package in export markets) as a free for all standard catalog model. However, due to production issues, Toyota decided to sell even the RZ grade on lottery (just 500 for Japan for the first batch of deliveries). Lottery applications went on from 2nd to 18th December. Lottery for the Morizo edition was drawn and prospective owners notified last Friday. The RZ grade lottery gets drawn next Monday to something. So....the biggest issue with the GRC is going to be supply. If you want one...you are going to have to wait for a long time indefinitely. By which time, I would not be surprised if the owners of the first deliveries will be flipping them for a markup (in Japan the biggest issue is resellers buying these cars up from the manufacturer for resale at high markups, seen it with the Land Cruiser 300, Fairlady Z and even the new Type R). As it stands, Japan is set to see deliveries start around summer (500 in total) and then similar batches every 2nd quarter or so (if one was to apply for the second round of lottery they will see the car around Q2 2024)

Personal opinion about the car: No matter what is said and done it simply does not bring any memories of the old Corolla GTs or Levins or the Corolla TRD racers, even though Toyota likes to draw parallels. It is a completely different beast built up on a Corolla platform using a bespoke high-power engine (in fact the turbo charged 1.2L Corolla has more of a feel of the old school Corolla GTs). As mentioned before, the engine's power delivery seems to have been smoothened out compared to the GR Yaris and is helped by slightly different gearing. Apart from that the GRC exibits characteristics of a typical longer wheel-base car as opposed to the shorter wheel-based GRY (how the car pivots, point and degree of understeer, etc...). The GRC does have dynamic drive mode selection system that the GRY does not have (steering weight, accelerator response, etc... can be changed to NORMAL, SPORT or CUSTOM). 

As a daily livable car, I do find the Civic Type R more appealing. The interior feel and refinement of the materials are a lot lot better. Also, the gear throws are much nicer in the Civic than in the GRYaris (and thus the GRC). Compared to the GRC, the CTR feels more roomier and has light coming in through these things called windows :D The GRC and the GRY are very dark inside thanks to the acres and acres of dull black plastic and the interior shape

Do I want one? I was hoping I would fall in love with it when I saw it...sadly it wasn't so (I had to try real hard to convince myself I wanted one...)

Finally I did go to apply for the lottery.  Interestingly, I was talked out of it (here is the kicker) by the GR Garage and Toyota dealership guys ! Their view was that I should hold on to the GRY as there is no guarantee when I could or if I would ever get a GRC (I went to apply on the morning of the 3rd of December, less than 12 hours after the lottery applications opened and there were already 5600+ applicants). Their other point was that the driving experience will not be that much different than the GRY and the greatest and only benefit will only be the practicality. 

The RZ, with Toyota Safety Sense (the full suite is only offered as an option in Japan), the JBL sound package with some unwanted techie stuff, carpets and visors came to 5.8 million yen (which includes tax and registration). For reference, the GR Yaris similarly spec'd came it at 5.2mil yen and the Civic Type R at 5.6 mil yen (granted the Civic had a lot more accessories as standard).

Instead...ended up getting a standard Corolla (as they had one that they could give in less than 2 weeks...on going delivery time for a standard Corolla is 10 months). AND....went and signed up for a Civic Type R...which I may or may not get...in 3-4 years time....go figure. 

Why 3-4 years ?

Well..both the GR Yaris and Civic Type R have officially closed the order books. Toyota does not accept anything for the GR Yaris (even the catalogs are gone but the model has not officially been stopped) whilst Honda gives out non-committal contracts to be on a waiting list. Delivery time for the GR Yaris is nearly one year. CTR on the other hand...orders from pre-launch to November will be delivered through-out the next 1.5 years-2 years. Factor in the waiting list, my delivery time would be closer to 3 years. 

Very interesting thoughts mate. Thanks!

The GR Yaris has actually taken Australian motoring enthusiasts by storm. We got around 1700 cars here, and once sales stopped, there was still more demand for the car, so the dealerships pushed for Toyota to release more cars (in late 2022) and sales re-opened for another 160 cars (just 160!), and they were only available to order through a selected few dealers across the country.

While this is happening, we do have a few current owners of the GRY trying to make a quick buck by listing their cars for crazy prices (nearly 1.5 times the original price). So this I guess happens everywhere. In the mean time, I know a guy who bought a GRY and has stored it in a garage (without even driving, registering or even taking the plastic off the seats), so that he can one day sell it for a profit. It's crazy how people are toying with the demand for the car.

With the GR Corolla, I believe this will be significantly magnified, and in fact the buzz on social media has been impressive, there were so many people who paid a deposit for the GRC to various Toyota dealerships around the country, only to be later refunded on instruction by Toyota as they decided to go for a ballot just like you've explained happened in Japan.

Grades... With the GR Yaris, we get two variants here. The base GR Yaris, and the limited edition GR Yaris Rallye (only 200 cars for the Australian market - each numbered). Some verified new sources mention that it will be the same for the GR Corolla as well. These two, plus a handful of Morizo editions only offered to hardcore enthusiasts who apparently will be interviewed by Toyota prior to determining if they can buy one!

The Toyota GR Yaris 'Rallye Edition' is asking a 36% premium over the  regular. What's so special? - AutoBuzz.my

As for appearance, I was never a fan of Toyota designs a few years ago. The Corolla (NZE161) was absolutely hideous along with many other cars of the same era. But I feel like some of their new cars have actually become nicer. You don't feel like you want to throw up when you see one. 😁 However, the plastic stuck on the side of the GRC to make the rear doors match up with the wider rear end does seem like an afterthought. And the big black grille and accents is certainly controversial, and I agree a darker colour would definitely mask some of it as you said. I think the grey (called Precious Metal) looks sick! Having said all of this, looks is a subjective thing. Each to their own.

The CIVIC Type R is such a nice looking car. So refined compared to the outgoing model which received so much hate because of the way it looks. From what I've seen so far, it seems well put together - the interior looks amazing, has pretty much the same power figures as the GRC, more cylinders etc... but.... all wheel drive over front wheel drive for me. No doubt about it. 🙂 Mainly because the Civic struggles to put it's 315 horsepower down to the road given that it has to do it through just the front wheels. Unless you have semi slicks or something, won't get close to the way the GR Corolla is able to put down the 300 horsepower it's got. Sure, during a daily drive you're never going to notice the difference.

My excitement for the GR Corolla is because when the Evo and STi were around, we had the option of choosing a rally bred 4 door, 5 seater, all wheel drive car. A car that we can comfortably daily, a car that is not as expensive to buy or maintain like the Golf R or Audi RS3. I believe Toyota has hit the nail in the head with the GRC in that regard. We now have an option. All hope isn't lost. 

Edited by Davy

Since the GR Corolla and Civic Type R has been lengthily discussed here, this would be an interesting comparison of the two with a drag and roll race.. They are both closely matched in terms of performance, but apart from a drag race the CTR seems to be better in other aspects including circuit driving..

Edited by Dee Jay

Dont know if this is valid to this thread, but Good News the Suzuki Jimny 5 Door is coming and confirmed. Brochure and details in link.

https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-jimny-5-door-debuts-at-2023-auto-expo-launch-this-year-12455502.html

Looks nice indeed, if only it came with a small engine or an Electric option.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davy said:

I know a guy who bought a GRY and has stored it in a garage (without even driving, registering or even taking the plastic off the seats), so that he can one day sell it for a profit. It's crazy how people are toying with the demand for the car.

This guy was/is in the GR Yaris groups. Gets heckled 50% of the time, congratulated for 20% of the time and scolded 30% of the time :)

15 hours ago, Davy said:

With the GR Corolla, I believe this will be significantly magnified, and in fact the buzz on social media has been impressive, there were so many people who paid a deposit for the GRC to various Toyota dealerships around the country

With the GR Corolla it is strange. Toyota never intended it to be an exclusive model. But because of production issues the GRC is going to be rarer than the GRY so that is going to drive prices up the roof. The whle deposit thing seems to be crazy in the US....the dealerships there (dealerships are pure franchises and manufacturers have no control over them in the US) are making up all kinds of BS to add on dealer markups. What is funny is that the whole situation has been created by the car buyers themselves.

15 hours ago, Davy said:

Grades... With the GR Yaris, we get two variants here

There are PLENTY of GR Yaris in JPN. Last I heard Toyota has touched 28,000ish units in sales a nd a majority of it is in Japan. We get 4 variants. RZ High Performance (equivelant to RALLYE or Circuit Edition in other markets), RZ (same as the base/core in export markets); both can be bought with the comfort package and winter package, etc... (in most export markets you only can get one or the other). Then we have the RC, which is a stripped down version for a rally/race car base. It has a mechanical LSD for gravel use and smaller brakes and thicker tires favored for rallying. Then...to the dismay and annoyance of every GR Yaris owner in JPN, they released a RS grade which is FWD has a 1.5L 3 cylinder engine and CVT from the standard Yaris.

15 hours ago, Davy said:

who apparently will be interviewed by Toyota prior to determining if they can buy one!

In Japan the lottery app asks you to write a small essay as to why you want one :) But word is that they don't necessarily read it and will only looked in to if there is some issue with any of the draws.

15 hours ago, Davy said:

The Corolla (NZE161) was absolutely hideous along with many other cars of the same era.

The E160 Corolla Axio was actually dissed in Japan and people complained saying that it was an insult to the Corolla badge which is "Japan's car to the world". Despite that, the car was rather popular with old folks and fleet operators. In fact, although they wanted to stop producing the car in 2019/2020, a year after the new one was introduced, they have not been able to stop production. In fact they saw an uptick in sales as the E160 Axio was the only small body sedan/wagon in Japan ! The waiting list for the thing is longer than the waiting list for the new Corolla !

15 hours ago, Davy said:

I think the grey (called Precious Metal)

Are you sure you are talking about the "grey" ? Precious metal is sort of a silverish grey that is a bit dark. It is the standard color in the orizo edition but a 33,000yen option in the RZ. But here is the kicker...there is a Morizo exclusive gun metalic like color "matte steel" which was also offered in the GRMN Yaris. That is a 350,000yen option !!!

16 hours ago, Davy said:

My excitement for the GR Corolla is because when the Evo and STi were around

Here is the thing....the GRC and GRY are fun cars and the GRC (based on Japanese reviews) is much milder than the GRY and made for track or amateur rallying (Toyota revealed the Rally1 and Rally2 GRYs today and they look pretty killer). Here is the thing though..niether car is as refined as the Evo and newer STI/WRXs. The GRY is reminiscent of the old gen 1 and gen 2 WRXs and Evo 4s and 5s. Where the AWD system is concerned...again..simply not as sophisticated and capable as the Evo and WRX systems. It is quite capable..but is prone to snap understeer (the reason why a LOT of GRYs have been totalled). Simple explanation for it is that it simply does not have a center diff to neutralize differences in rotation of the two axles.  Yes....do we have an AWD Japanese car ? Yes....but the Evo and WRX will be missed.

Yes...the CTR is FWD....it has more power and torque than the GRC (300 vs 315+? hp). Unless you are going to be tracking the car right at the limit, I doubt you will have any issues with the FWD setup. No idea what sorcery Honda does but that thing (like FWD Type Rs of the past) simply do not behave like normal FWD cars. Also, the CTR has a more high-revving NA engine feel to it than the engine in the Toyotas which has that old school turbo oomph kick in the rear feeling.

9 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Dont know if this is valid to this thread, but Good News the Suzuki Jimny 5 Door is coming and confirmed. Brochure and details in link.

https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-jimny-5-door-debuts-at-2023-auto-expo-launch-this-year-12455502.html

Looks nice indeed, if only it came with a small engine or an Electric option.

what I love is the old school lever to kick it in to 4WD modes :D 

I wonder if it will be sold as Suzuki or Maruti Suzuki, probably both. Although it has been talked about, there is no word on if the 5-door will be sold in Japan. So far the model seems to have been announced in select emerging markets and a few others like South Africa

10 hours ago, iRage said:

what I love is the old school lever to kick it in to 4WD modes :D 

I wonder if it will be sold as Suzuki or Maruti Suzuki, probably both. Although it has been talked about, there is no word on if the 5-door will be sold in Japan. So far the model seems to have been announced in select emerging markets and a few others like South Africa

Yup miss the good old lever, I woud still trust the mechanical engagement than the electric motorized stuff which could fail when off roading. 

Think its going to be Maruti only I would say, unless they put a hybrid drive train or an Electric motor in it and sell it in Europe, would be a best seller. People pay premium money for a boxy Mercedes, why wont they pay 1/10 of that for a simple workhorse SUV that is wonderful off road?

On 1/14/2023 at 2:58 AM, iRage said:

This guy was/is in the GR Yaris groups. Gets heckled 50% of the time, congratulated for 20% of the time and scolded 30% of the time :)

Must be a different guy. The one I mentioned is someone I personally know (he's the guy who owns the garage working on my Skyline). Not active on social media. I told him to let me know when he decides to sell lol

With the GR Corolla it is strange. Toyota never intended it to be an exclusive model. But because of production issues the GRC is going to be rarer than the GRY so that is going to drive prices up the roof.

This is true. I wonder what's up with production issues though. Probably in the engine, drivetrain departments because the chassis is basically the base Corolla with a few mods.

Then...to the dismay and annoyance of every GR Yaris owner in JPN, they released a RS grade which is FWD has a 1.5L 3 cylinder engine and CVT from the standard Yaris.

Wow... I understand why GRY owners would be upset. This totally blurs the line between the Yaris and the GRY. 

Are you sure you are talking about the "grey" ? Precious metal is sort of a silverish grey that is a bit dark.

Yep. Here's a screenshot from the Toyota NZ website. Certainly not the matte grey available on the Morizo. Between black and this colour, I think I would pick this.

image.thumb.png.87b7f23ac1c3d6d1a5c6fcbe46574745.png

Here is the thing....the GRC and GRY are fun cars and the GRC (based on Japanese reviews) is much milder than the GRY and made for track or amateur rallying (Toyota revealed the Rally1 and Rally2 GRYs today and they look pretty killer). Here is the thing though..niether car is as refined as the Evo and newer STI/WRXs. The GRY is reminiscent of the old gen 1 and gen 2 WRXs and Evo 4s and 5s. Where the AWD system is concerned...again..simply not as sophisticated and capable as the Evo and WRX systems. It is quite capable..but is prone to snap understeer (the reason why a LOT of GRYs have been totalled). Simple explanation for it is that it simply does not have a center diff to neutralize differences in rotation of the two axles.  Yes....do we have an AWD Japanese car ? Yes....but the Evo and WRX will be missed.

Agreed. The all wheel drive system on the GRY or the GRC is nowhere as sophisticated as the Mitsubishi's S-AWC system which had an active centre differential, active yaw control etc. But I do like the direction Toyota has taken in allowing the car to be transformed with the GR-Four system having three modes of torque split. And the engineering behind it (again, although isn't as sophisticated to that of the Evo or STi), is inspired IMO.

I guess it will come to personal preference in the end about the CTR vs The GRC. This might turn out to be another Evo vs STi rivalry. Who knows... :) 

On 1/15/2023 at 8:42 AM, Davy said:

Must be a different guy. The one I mentioned is someone I personally know (he's the guy who owns the garage working on my Skyline). Not active on social media. I told him to let me know when he decides to sell lol

😮 There is more than ONE ???!!!!

This is true. I wonder what's up with production issues though. Probably in the engine, drivetrain departments because the chassis is basically the base Corolla with a few mods.

1. Even the normal Corolla has an almost 1 year wait in Japan. Also, they have to individually build-up the frame with extra welds and glue on each vehicle...

2. The engine is hand built so that is slow 

3. Toyota's explanation is that for certain parts and features (like the Display Audio system) there is a shortage of chips and other components. FOr example....a GRY RZ High Performance and RZ will take nearly one year. But a stripped down RC can be had within 5 months. Then for a standard Yaris...if you get the car in specific configuration and single color it can be had in 3-4 months but if you want the same car in two tone will take nearly 7. (at least that was the case as of early December last year)

Wow... I understand why GRY owners would be upset. This totally blurs the line between the Yaris and the GRY. 

Yupp...it is a model only for Japan but I am pretty sure in a couple of years they will be exported as used cars. So when Toyota made desperate plans to make 25,000units for homologation without actually realizing that they could have sold 25000units even without the base unit.

But I do like the direction Toyota has taken in allowing the car to be transformed with the GR-Four system

and now they have the e-Four system. It is actually pretty good (in the Crown with the Hybrid turbo engine) and what they say is that it will be tuned and fitted to select GR Sport (not GR..yet) models.   

I guess it will come to personal preference in the end about the CTR vs The GRC. This might turn out to be another Evo vs STi rivalry. Who knows..

Eitherway, we are seeing the last of its kind with these types of cars. CTR is to go Electric/Hybrid the next time around. Corolla sports cars will be the same (their Rally1 Hybrid GRY was revealed over the weekend...so that is just going to keep evolving).

2 hours ago, iRage said:

😮 There is more than ONE ???!!!!

Apparently so! :) 

2 hours ago, iRage said:

3. Toyota's explanation is that for certain parts and features (like the Display Audio system) there is a shortage of chips and other components. FOr example....a GRY RZ High Performance and RZ will take nearly one year. But a stripped down RC can be had within 5 months. Then for a standard Yaris...if you get the car in specific configuration and single color it can be had in 3-4 months but if you want the same car in two tone will take nearly 7. (at least that was the case as of early December last year)

Interesting. Makes sense now given that many contacts of mine who have placed orders with Toyota had to wait nearly a year, and some even settled for lower trim levels as they were able to ship them out faster.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Eitherway, we are seeing the last of its kind with these types of cars. CTR is to go Electric/Hybrid the next time around. Corolla sports cars will be the same (their Rally1 Hybrid GRY was revealed over the weekend...so that is just going to keep evolving).

Also, some of Toyota's marketing material indicates that they might go down the Hydrogen route for the GRC.

https://www.toyota.com.au/the-latest/ensuring-the-future-of-gr-corolla-through-super-taikyu

https://toyotagazooracing.com/supertaikyu/drivers/2022/

Having just discovered about Taikyu, it looks like the Civic Type R is dominating in it's class.

11 hours ago, Davy said:

Also, some of Toyota's marketing material indicates that they might go down the Hydrogen route for the GRC.

Yupp.....Toyota raced the Corolla Hatch in Hybrid form last year....then they also did a Hydrogen GRY

The Toyota GR Yaris Hydrogen Concept Is a Race Car Powered By Its Name

but here is the thing...last weekend Toyota totally threw everyone in to a whirlwind at the Tokyo Auto Salon by unveiling an AE86 Levin that has gotten an EV conversion (and it has a manual transmission)

hydrogen-toyota-ae86-inline-C.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1440&dpr=1.5

Granted the back is full of batteries for now (but dude...the EV with a manual transmission they showed in a Lexus can actually work)

hydrogen-toyota-ae86-inline-B.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1440&dpr=1.5

Toyota AE86 Concepts Debut As Factory Hydrogen And Electric Restomods

As if that wasn't enough....they also unveiled a Trueno with a 4A-GE engine that runs on Hydrogen !

hydrogen-toyota-ae86.jpg?auto=webp&crop=16%3A9&auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1920hydrogen-toyota-ae86-inline-A.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1440&dpr=1.5hydrogen-toyota-ae86-inline-D.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1440&dpr=1.5

True..the entire rear is full of the Hydrogen tank but Toyota says they are working on minituarizing the Hydrogen components.

Best part is...THEY CAN DRIFT !

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 12:54 AM, iRage said:

True..the entire rear is full of the Hydrogen tank but Toyota says they are working on minituarizing the Hydrogen components.

Best part is...THEY CAN DRIFT !

Saw this in the news. Pretty cool! :) 

4 hours ago, Davy said:

Saw this in the news. Pretty cool! :)

Toyota's support for restoring old cars is really really poor compared to Nissan and Mazda. Yes, Toyota started the GR Heritage parts program but what is offered (so far) is absolutely worthless (or has plenty of aftermarket options). 

Then...they go ahead and do THIS ! This gives hope to all classic car owners ❤️ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 7:54 AM, Gummybr said:

Think its going to be Maruti only I would say, unless they put a hybrid drive train or an Electric motor in it and sell it in Europe, would be a best seller. 

Suzuki had heard the gen public, will offer a full EV by 2024 Jimny as per this report.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/battery-electric-suzuki-jimny-confirmed-europe

Suzuki Europe lineup

2 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Suzuki had heard the gen public

Are you sure EVs are the voice of the general public and not the voice of the loudest activists, lobbyists and politicians? People want a transportation solution that is easy, cost-effective and won't kill the planet (either at the tail pipe, mineral mine or power generation plant)

Anyway, the Japanese press release indicated the Suzuki President stating that the EVs will be a collaboration with Toyota as well as other strategic partners (a Jimny EV seems to be in the same segment as the baby EV cruiser Toyota announced last month...so won't be surprising if a lot of things are shared).  What is equally interesting is that Suzuki also claimed that they are developing carbon neutral internal combustion engines that use CNG, bio-fuels, etc...

I seriously doubt any Japanese manufacturer would be going complete EVs like their European counterparts/competitors. Japanese manufacturers have too large of a stake in developing markets that can't make that EV transition. The Suzuki Pres was also caught saying that right now EVs go for nearly 2mil yen and that Suzuki would try its best to offer an EV closer to the 1mil yen mark. 

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Are you sure EVs are the voice of the general public and not the voice of the loudest activists, lobbyists and politicians?

Well for Europe, they have been waiting for the Jimny only for it to be cancelled from the market due to the green types. So its good news for them.

Same goes for the Sri Lankan market, word is that they will open the market (when they open maybe in a couple of years or more) only for EV's without putting the infra structure in place (typical of the Sri Lankan strategy of not researching the implications). 

Toyota have been going against the EV revolution but they seem to have changed their strategy by opting for EV's.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

I seriously doubt any Japanese manufacturer would be going complete EVs like their European counterparts/competitors. Japanese manufacturers have too large of a stake in developing markets that can't make that EV transition. The Suzuki Pres was also caught saying that right now EVs go for nearly 2mil yen and that Suzuki would try its best to offer an EV closer to the 1mil yen mark. 

This is true, but the world has decided to be fully electric by 2035/40 (Paris agreement) most of the countries have already laid the ground work and manufacturers are also adapting accordingly. What would you do if you were the head of any of the Japanese companies? Would you go with the EV revolution or keep producing the ICE vehicles for a smaller market and not be able to sell in the mass market? What I feel is they will try to keep producing ICE vehicles for as long as they can, but will move more into mass market EV's.

3 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Well for Europe, they have been waiting for the Jimny only for it to be cancelled from the market due to the green types. So its good news for them.

Same goes for the Sri Lankan market, word is that they will open the market (when they open maybe in a couple of years or more) only for EV's without putting the infra structure in place (typical of the Sri Lankan strategy of not researching the implications). 

Toyota have been going against the EV revolution but they seem to have changed their strategy by opting for EV's.

This is true, but the world has decided to be fully electric by 2035/40 (Paris agreement) most of the countries have already laid the ground work and manufacturers are also adapting accordingly. What would you do if you were the head of any of the Japanese companies? Would you go with the EV revolution or keep producing the ICE vehicles for a smaller market and not be able to sell in the mass market? What I feel is they will try to keep producing ICE vehicles for as long as they can, but will move more into mass market EV's.

Well...this is where the outside world got the whole Akio Toyoda speech wrong. He never said that Toyota was not going EV.That was a complete western media spin-off. What he said, in Japanese, was that Toyota does not believe that EVs are the total and only solution. Then he went on to say that a rapid transition to EVs in Japan like what the government was pushing for at the time is irresponsible (because power is generated using fossil fuels as nuclear power is not at full capacity, infrastructure issues, change/loss in jobs, etc...) and he mentioned countries in Africa, South East Asia needing traditional vehicles that are more fuel efficient. Then he also cited solutions needed for all the cars that are to be taken off the road.  So it is not a change in strategy...a change in roll-out plans with Europe going gun-ho with the whole EV movement.

As for the Paris agreement, I am sorry but the latest pledge of the agreement was nothing but a farce and political hogwash. For starters...guess who was absent from the pledge! U.S., Germany, South Korea, China and Japan, yes ! the largest car producing countries in the world. Lets not forget...China is light years ahead of EVs compared to the others and has most to gain thanks to its first-to-market position. Also, Toyota and Volkswagen, world's two largest auto manufacturers were not in the pledge. Even the ones who are in the pledge, like BMW and MB are waiting to see how the policies take shape.

Also, the agreement significantly fails because it focuses on greenhouse gases at the TAILPIPE!

The agreement, way back in 2015 started off as reduction in greenhouse emissions by selling EVs (HEVs and BEVs where at least 20% of cars are EVs) and improving zero emission public transport systems. Now that the latter has failed, the former seems to be put on steroids.

Also, it is not just Sri Lanka, even other countries are doing this without a long-term SUSTAINABLE plan. Even if all new cars available for sale are EVs, then people are not going to switch unless they are practical (apartment dwellers, charging times, etc..) and affordable. Until then they will just use their old car longer. Then governments will impose taxes like ULEV taxes  which means you either pay a lot of money for taxes or a new car <In many ways a lot of the agreement as seen as disenfranchising/compromising vulnerable groups in society to protect a world for a privileged few>. I am embarrassed to say this, but it was a similar approach that made the Millenium Development Goals an embarrassing failure (which we will not admit to) and instead the Sustainable Development Goals were achieved.

The bottom line is we are not going to make any considerable impact unless we change the way we live. All this private transportation to and from work/school, being stuck in traffic, etc...needs to go away. EVs are only going to shift the problem from one point to another. We need better public transportation systems so that we don't have to use cars.  

Edited by iRage

17 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...this is where the outside world got the whole Akio Toyoda speech wrong. He never said that Toyota was not going EV.That was a complete western media spin-off. What he said, in Japanese, was that Toyota does not believe that EVs are the total and only solution. Then he went on to say that a rapid transition to EVs in Japan like what the government was pushing for at the time is irresponsible (because power is generated using fossil fuels as nuclear power is not at full capacity, infrastructure issues, change/loss in jobs, etc...) and he mentioned countries in Africa, South East Asia needing traditional vehicles that are more fuel efficient. Then he also cited solutions needed for all the cars that are to be taken off the road.  So it is not a change in strategy...a change in roll-out plans with Europe going gun-ho with the whole EV movement.

As for the Paris agreement, I am sorry but the latest pledge of the agreement was nothing but a farce and political hogwash. For starters...guess who was absent from the pledge! U.S., Germany, South Korea, China and Japan, yes ! the largest car producing countries in the world. Lets not forget...China is light years ahead of EVs compared to the others and has most to gain thanks to its first-to-market position. Also, Toyota and Volkswagen, world's two largest auto manufacturers were not in the pledge. Even the ones who are in the pledge, like BMW and MB are waiting to see how the policies take shape.

Also, the agreement significantly fails because it focuses on greenhouse gases at the TAILPIPE!

The agreement, way back in 2015 started off as reduction in greenhouse emissions by selling EVs (HEVs and BEVs where at least 20% of cars are EVs) and improving zero emission public transport systems. Now that the latter has failed, the former seems to be put on steroids.

Also, it is not just Sri Lanka, even other countries are doing this without a long-term SUSTAINABLE plan. Even if all new cars available for sale are EVs, then people are not going to switch unless they are practical (apartment dwellers, charging times, etc..) and affordable. Until then they will just use their old car longer. Then governments will impose taxes like ULEV taxes  which means you either pay a lot of money for taxes or a new car <In many ways a lot of the agreement as seen as disenfranchising/compromising vulnerable groups in society to protect a world for a privileged few>. I am embarrassed to say this, but it was a similar approach that made the Millenium Development Goals an embarrassing failure (which we will not admit to) and instead the Sustainable Development Goals were achieved.

The bottom line is we are not going to make any considerable impact unless we change the way we live. All this private transportation to and from work/school, being stuck in traffic, etc...needs to go away. EVs are only going to shift the problem from one point to another. We need better public transportation systems so that we don't have to use cars.  

I agree with you @iRage, everyone is pushing for this EV thing but as you say they have failed to understand that there is a lot that needs to change for the world to adopt. 

Through the CMTA we have pressured the govt to atleast have a standardized charging system for Sri Lanka if they want to go all electric but they dont listen. Imagine if you are going to invest in a fast charging station (leave aside the network) would you invest on 3 charger types for one station or one type? These are basics that they should have in place before you think of importing EV's, if not our guys will just blindly go and buy cars with the trend and go through the same pain as what the original leaf owners went through.

This is slightly OT, but on topic that is discussed above, the Sri Lankan entrepreneur who built Sri Lanka's first EV was there in a forum that discussed the future mobility in Sri Lanka. He was saying that he will have his electric bikes, tuk tuks and quad bikes running in the country this year and told of how he has developed remote control drones to act as taxi's for people like in a fairytale. He was saying that he has developed the best kind of batteries for EV's that are better than Tesla and how his was the only electric supercar to come out. (so we have one car built as a prototype and we go parade that everywhere)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

He was saying that he has developed the best kind of batteries for EV's that are better than Tesla

That right there would solve Sri Lanka's economic problems for the next century !!! Well...if we are talking about the same person...he is a self-proclaimed "Crazy bug***" <his own words at a certain conference>.  Instead of trying to build cars and stuff we really need to capture the component market. Building cars is an absolute money pit. After spending million on R&D and going to market...you have to repeat it all over again.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

We had the Pajero Mini...now we get the Delica Mini

It was revealed yesterday and in just 1 day it apparently has nearly 9000 pre-orders. Launch is supposed to be on the 25th of May. One thing that is seriously missing in the Japanese market is an outdoorsy van. Only option is the Delica, which probably explains why it is still being sold for such a long time. This little Kei van is trying to capture the outdoorsy vanny spirit of its big bodied brother I suppose..

main_01_pc.jpgimg_01.jpgimg_02.jpgimg_03_03.jpgimg_04.jpgmain_02_pc.jpg

15 hours ago, iRage said:

We had the Pajero Mini...now we get the Delica Mini

It was revealed yesterday and in just 1 day it apparently has nearly 9000 pre-orders. Launch is supposed to be on the 25th of May. One thing that is seriously missing in the Japanese market is an outdoorsy van. Only option is the Delica, which probably explains why it is still being sold for such a long time. This little Kei van is trying to capture the outdoorsy vanny spirit of its big bodied brother I suppose..

main_01_pc.jpgimg_01.jpgimg_02.jpgimg_03_03.jpgimg_04.jpgmain_02_pc.jpg

Is that a rebadged Suzuki? I know they have this rebadging game going in Japan for Kei cars. The Believe the Dayz / ekWagon were originals.