• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri

Hoonigan

Question

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a Capri for some time now but haven't really been very successful.

I'm trying to do a resto-mod and I have a few very specific things I want to do to it. So an abandoned car that needs body work, paint, interior work etc fits the bill perfectly. I don't really care if it's running or not either.

The few I found were recently restored or 'modified' and asking prices were a bit on the high side and I would anyway have to roll back some of the work already done on them and this would make me overshoot my budget by a mile.

Basically, I'm looking for a Ford Capri (preferably MK1) in shabby condition for around 3-500K (not set in stone,maybe a bit more depending on the condition) If any of you gents know about one close to what I've mentioned above, please be kind enough to drop me a PM. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

I've got that poison on my mind! Aha! *-shaking it like Nicole samarasinghe-*

he he he komi. This would even be nice in the 510. Just think about how many cars you will smoke on the way back and think about their faces when they get left behind he he. awesome machan awesome

Nothing to pass a nice V8 machan. People in sl will go nuts if you actually did drop one in. Im sure you might even find a nice toyota v8 engine lying around somewhere off a converted land cruiser. Think about it

that would also be very heavy!

I've got that poison on my mind! Aha! *-shaking it like Nicole samarasinghe-*
Imagine a V8 rumbling under the hood of an unassuming 510, fooling everyone in it's path until the taps open leaving the everyday Allion driver in a cloud of tyre smoke wondering what the f*** that was...Dude it will be the definition of a sleeper and a fitting accessory for the pissu dosthara (no offence)

btw thanks to you lot, I spent the entire day daydreaming while staring at a random spreadsheet! This is starting to get weird!

Edited by Hoonigan
  • Like 2

Imagine a V8 rumbling under the hood of an unassuming 510, fooling everyone in it's path until the taps open leaving the everyday Allion driver in a cloud of tyre smoke wondering what the f*** that was...Dude it will be the definition of a sleeper and a fitting accessory for the pissu dosthara (no offence)

btw thanks to you lot, I spent the entire day daydreaming while staring at a random spreadsheet! This is starting to get weird!

Sleepers are 'hella fun' lol ;)

Trust me, the feeling of driving something old & non descript but potent enough to mop the floor with most things on the road is quite satisfying , leave aside ridiculously amusing!

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Devinda_Z" data-cid="244047" data-time="1374325218"><p>

Sleepers are 'hella fun' lol ;)<br />

Trust me, the feeling of driving something old & non descript but potent enough to mop the floor with most things on the road is quite satisfying , leave aside ridiculously amusing!</p></blockquote>

all that noise and you call it a sleeper ? ;-)

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Devinda_Z" data-cid="244047" data-time="1374325218"><p>

Sleepers are 'hella fun' lol ;)<br />

Trust me, the feeling of driving something old & non descript but potent enough to mop the floor with most things on the road is quite satisfying , leave aside ridiculously amusing!</p></blockquote>

all that noise and you call it a sleeper ? ;-)

Hey everyone including the cops think its an old "sunny" with an exhaust leak ;)

played around with that idea. was offered one VG30DETT motor, and another VG3030DET complete conversion.

and it can be done, mind you. did the reading into that as well. but there apparently is something called too much power for a 960kg car. and this was it. lu. ithin i let that go. this thing has difficulty stopping from 40kmph.

i can imagine what happens at 140. and i don't want to imagine at 240

• Like 1

I managed to pay a small visit to the garage while spending a few days in SL. Finally managed to meet the little ford in person. It never seizes to fill one's heart to meet a car they love for the first time.

I'm delighted to report that the body kit is finally piled up in a corner and the car looks like a Capri once again. The kit was riveted on to the body panels so nothing had been cut away. The bad news is there's a fair bit of corrosion where the resin was sitting on.

The guys have started a tinkering some obvious stuff but waiting on me to actually see the car and bridge any communication gaps first. The paint is still on, so I cannot really tell what the exact condition of the metal work is at the moment. The garage is free now after a few projects with the Motor Show and work should pick up soon.

Anyways, this update isn't much but I hope the pics will pick up the slack :)

20130917_153255.jpg20130917_152701.jpg20130917_152651.jpg20130917_152453.jpg

• Like 1

The body isn't that bad, now is it? What about the chrome bumpers? Were they included with the car or do you have to source them?

There's a bit of cataloy on the roof that was used to cover some rust, which worries me. Until the paint comes off, there's no telling what's underneath. They say it's an easy fix.My frame of reference is not that great to be honest, this being my very first restoration. But overall I'd say the car is in decent shape. We'll see how it comes up in due course.

The previous owner gave the rear bumper but I'm not planning to use any bumpers at the moment. I think I like the bare bones look. If at all, I will try to get my hands on some quarter bumpers.

There's a bit of cataloy on the roof that was used to cover some rust, which worries me. Until the paint comes off, there's no telling what's underneath. They say it's an easy fix.My frame of reference is not that great to be honest, this being my very first restoration. But overall I'd say the car is in decent shape. We'll see how it comes up in due course.

The previous owner gave the rear bumper but I'm not planning to use any bumpers at the moment. I think I like the bare bones look. If at all, I will try to get my hands on some quarter bumpers.

Hmmm...no bumpers kinda look good, but I'm a sucker for chrome bumpers! :sport-smiley-004:

@Jaliya48 LOL chrome is a double edged sword machan :) I'm planning to black everything out that is chrome except the wheels. The front will get a lip and I don't think a bumper will do it justice.

@Komi Actually quite a few had taken a liking to the kit! Different strokes to different folks maybe. Personally, I had the biggest smile on my face seeing it all lifted looking.

• Like 1

Great to see progress Hoonigan. By the sounds of it I would say, expect the worst but hope for the best! The same attitude to have when asking a girl who's a bit out of ones' league for a date ;) .

It's amazing what you do find under cataloy these days. I've found fibre glass matting holding pieces of rust together and even pieces of aluminium on a steel body. But don't let your discovery, even if horrific discourage you. Slow, steady and doing it properly is the key to classic heaven.

Quarter bumpers will look great imo. Btw what are those horrible wheels? 80's Jap?

• Like 1

@Jaliya48 LOL chrome is a double edged sword machan :) I'm planning to black everything out that is chrome except the wheels. The front will get a lip and I don't think a bumper will do it justice.

@Komi Actually quite a few had taken a liking to the kit! Different strokes to different folks maybe. Personally, I had the biggest smile on my face seeing it all lifted looking.

So what would be the body colour...Black?

Remember the beauty of red Ford Capri with black hood in "Dadayama"film. :)

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/11469-quick-trivia-3/page-76

Oh man, that car must have been suffocating inside that bodykit. Glad it has been taken out to reveal the beautiful Capri underneath.

Even more glad that the car has found a good home. Best of luck on the restoration Hoonigan! Please keep the forum updated.

Yellow Capri,

Previously owned by Lakshman Uncle,

Nice to see ths car in good hands, You know he had three Capris..

Anyways.. Good Luck with you project Hoonigan..

Similarnames

Thanks man :)

Great to see progress Hoonigan. By the sounds of it I would say, expect the worst but hope for the best! The same attitude to have when asking a girl who's a bit out of ones' league for a date ;) .

It's amazing what you do find under cataloy these days. I've found fibre glass matting holding pieces of rust together and even pieces of aluminium on a steel body. But don't let your discovery, even if horrific discourage you. Slow, steady and doing it properly is the key to classic heaven.

Quarter bumpers will look great imo. Btw what are those horrible wheels? 80's Jap?

To be honest, there's less rust under the fiber than I initially expected so I'd write that down as a good start. I'm hoping for the best and yet bracing myself at the same time. But I will see this project through one way or the other. Nice analogy btw :D

The wheels are from another Ford but I forgot which model.

So what would be the body colour...Black?

Remember the beauty of red Ford Capri with black hood in "Dadayama"film. :)

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/11469-quick-trivia-3/page-76

I've settled down to a Metallic Gunmetal Grey with black trim to compliment. Open to suggestions though :) About red, I think enough and more red Capris have been done, and in cases like Mr. Rhamzi's MK3, done better. I want to go for a different shade.

Oh man, that car must have been suffocating inside that bodykit. Glad it has been taken out to reveal the beautiful Capri underneath.

Even more glad that the car has found a good home. Best of luck on the restoration Hoonigan! Please keep the forum updated.

Thanks man! I will do my best to update but they are more likely to be far in between.

• Like 2

Any update Hoonigan ?

I'm interested in a Ford Capri as well, i found one dumped in an abandoned garage thanks to a bit of help from a friend. Its beyond restoration IMO, owner is in Italy he is coming to sri lanka soon, i wonder what he says to say for throwing away this car :violent-smiley-009:

1. im wondering if its worth all the trouble to restore it ?

2. how much did you buy your capri for, Hoonigan? :)

All the best !

ABR

Edited by ABR

Any update Hoonigan ?

I'm interested in a Ford Capri as well, i found one dumped in an abandoned garage thanks to a bit of help from a friend. Its beyond restoration IMO, owner is in Italy he is coming to sri lanka soon, i wonder what he says to say for throwing away this car :violent-smiley-009:

1. im wondering if its worth all the trouble to restore it ?

2. how much did you buy your capri for, Hoonigan? :)

All the best !

ABR

Updates not so much...still in a maze about how to power the thing. Capris weren't exactly sought after not too long ago so you can't blame the guy for leaving the car in the rain, albeit a waste of a car.

1. Whether it's worth or not is entirely a sentiment. Despite their recent popularity, they aren't strictly "vintage" specimens. Some veterans in the classic scene don't even have a second look at one. For some, it's a cool old Ford. For me it is worth it. I loved the look of the car the moment I saw it. (performance, not so much LOL) So I had this idea to find one and build one up the way I like it for a while but for many reasons never got around to it. But here I am.

2. I paid 8 and a half. I was sort of desperate at that time : /

If you do go ahead and buy one, do it if you love it. Otherwise you will end up facing a lot of frustration :)

Do let us know if you do bite the bullet :)

2. I paid 8 and a half. I was sort of desperate at that time : /

If you do go ahead and buy one, do it if you love it. Otherwise you will end up facing a lot of frustration :)

Do let us know if you do bite the bullet :)

Dude... 850,000? Seriously? Either you're fully loaded and money'd not a problem or you were taken for a ride.