• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri

Hoonigan

Question

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a Capri for some time now but haven't really been very successful.

I'm trying to do a resto-mod and I have a few very specific things I want to do to it. So an abandoned car that needs body work, paint, interior work etc fits the bill perfectly. I don't really care if it's running or not either.

The few I found were recently restored or 'modified' and asking prices were a bit on the high side and I would anyway have to roll back some of the work already done on them and this would make me overshoot my budget by a mile.

Basically, I'm looking for a Ford Capri (preferably MK1) in shabby condition for around 3-500K (not set in stone,maybe a bit more depending on the condition) If any of you gents know about one close to what I've mentioned above, please be kind enough to drop me a PM. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

16"? I say... Go for a wider profile in the rear

That was my plan earlier as well but not so sure machan, The Car has 13"s stock. 16"s with wider profile tyres might jack up the rear a tad too much. And might look disproportionatly large for the car.

Hoonigan,

i also fitted 16" 5 studded BBS-RS to a ford capri..(front 16"dia x9" wheels with 205x50R16 tires and rear 16"x10 wheels with 225x55R16)and.. i had to modify the hubs as the adapters were an utter failure.. (coz i had 2.25" adapters, which were not at all practical to drive)

SN

Hoonigan,

i also fitted 16" 5 studded BBS-RS to a ford capri..(front 16"dia x9" wheels with 205x50R16 tires and rear 16"x10 wheels with 225x55R16)and.. i had to modify the hubs as the adapters were an utter failure.. (coz i had 2.25" adapters, which were not at all practical to drive)

SN

That sounds like a neat set-up. Have any pics of the tyres that I can use as reference? I'm rethinking the tyre sizes...215/45R16 front and 245/50R16 for the rear maybe? I'm going to miss that chunky sidewall of the old muscle cars but it is what it is :-/

I'm not really a big fan of spacers so I will try and avoid them if possible. Even if I do go down that path, it won't be thicker than 1" (which is the minimum thickness spacers are manufactured it seems).

Did you have any rubbing on the inside of the fenders at full lock?

I started this 3 years back.. I was adding slight mods to the car.. currently i am installing big brakes to it..(4 pots to the front and disks to the rear) I will take sum pics this weekend when i visit the garage and post here.. plus i had to put 1" spacers, tightly locked to the hub and some decent wheel arches to accommodate the rear wheels.. i am too cautious not to ruin the bodylines..

SN

SN tho maara porak ne! And what makes you think we don't want to hear more about this build on Autolanka? Dude is this in Sri Lanka? Please. For the love of god, elaborate!! And photos too. Maybe your own thread about it. This is hoonigans after all, and you sir seem to have don't quite a bit to your car!!

@isam Thanks dude :) Luck seems to be in short supply so I can definitely use some....

@VVTi - I count two...not sure if that's a dude in the red bikini :D

@similarnames I agree with Komi..now you got me really really interested! Looks like we are heading the same way (somewhat) I also want the big arches but also want to keep the car's overall look intact. I would love to see some pics. If you're too shy to open a thread, please feel free to hijack this one (not like I'm post anything here for months on end)

Hoonigan,

As promised, i went to the garage this morning,. managed to get sum pics with my phone camera.. I am currently doing the tinkering thing all over again..(failed once because of an imcompetent $#..)

I will update you with the brake mods..

It would be my pleasure if these pics help you..

Hoonigan,

As promised, i went to the garage this morning,. managed to get sum pics with my phone camera.. I am currently doing the tinkering thing all over again..(failed once because of an imcompetent $#..)

Those wheels look awesome! Some more photos please!

Hoonigan,

SN ma man, that looks like an awesome set up. Glad to see someone braving against the tide! And your own thread will be an intersting one to follow.

The arches are WIP right? Will they be blended in to the body panels or are you going for that layered sort of look?

And are those RS3100 tail lights???? I've been trying to locate a pair but the ones I found were in the US and (apparently as most Capri parts over the pond) were a bit too pricey for me. Please could you let me know where you found them?

Thanks again for the pics! Helped me put the wheels in to perspective. I hope you do start your own thread for more awesome!

@ Hoonigan,

Yes machan, The arches are being done.. I took (the tinker guy honestly) all the effort to keep the main bodywork intact.. (Capri's signature mark)..and.. I was wrong about the tire sizes.. the rear are 215x55 R16.. not 225.. my bad..

You see... the wheel botls not tightened until i am finished with minor adjustments in the wheel arches..

I dint keep any photos of the progress so far.. So i will take everything fresh..

The taillights are from the FACELIFTED 73 Capri and RS3100 too.. Try Ebay US..under Mercury Capri Mk1 despite FORD Capri.. and these lights are made by Hella..So, Search the miscategorized items in ebay under Hella.. made in Germany..etc..

Plus i will PM u some catalogs .. I donno how to attach these to the main thread..

Edited by similarnames

I will pm you my email addy. Thanks a lot machan. I will look uo the particular ebay store as well.

I was hoping to go at least 245 at the rear. I wanted 265 earlier on 10" wide rims. Do you think there will be issues with a 245/55R16 on a 8J wheel?

Its possible putting 245XXX to a capri to my knowledge.. But probably with some wheel arches.. Go ahead with your plans on your car machan.. apparantly none of the Capris in SL has your spec..bt in my case, I had to limit certain things in my project de to the cost factor + fear of failing..

The arches are going to be blended to the body panels..

SN

Edited by similarnames

Its possible putting 245XXX to a capri to my knowledge.. But probably with some wheel arches.. Go ahead with your plans on your car machan.. apparantly none of the Capris in SL has your spec..bt in my case, I had to limit certain things in my project de to the cost factor + fear of failing..

The arches are going to be blended to the body panels..

SN

Oh cost and fear of failing are very real concerns for me too machan :)

Tyres will soon be my main focus, as soon as I get my hands on the engine. Arches were on my to-do list from the get-go. Trick is to make them look almost stock and not too drastic.

While waiting for the rest of the hardware to be sorted, I think I might as well decide on and buy the rubber.

As mentioned before, the Capri has 13"s stock. The wheels I bought are 16" 8Js. I would like 255/50R16 rear and 205/50R16. Will there be issues with these sizes on the wheels I have? Should I go smaller?

Second, where can I find these sizes around colombo and what brands can I expect and approximate prices? A quick search tells me BFG makes a tyre called "G-Force Sport Comp-2" but have no idea whether these are locally available or not.

Progress on the engine department is painfully slow. Thanks to a few of you guys here, there are some leads I'm chasing but things are moving at a very very slow pace.

On a more positive note, I have a few updates.

I manged to snatch this up and got delivered today.

IMG-20131125-WA0003.jpg

Yup, just the one! It's pretty nasty as it is. I'm hoping that the chrome can be refurbished and some polishing will bring up the lens (a light rubbing compound?). The hunt is on for the other side.

I also bought a Grant GT Challenger steering wheel. It's 13 inch diameter wheel with a 3 inch dish and I kindda fell in love with it when I saw it. Should reach me soon enough and I will upload a picture when it gets here.

Decided to look at getting the tyres down through Kapruka. The specific tyre mentioned in my previous post is the only one that keeps popping up offering both the sizes I need so that's that. Will be placing the order within the next couple of days. Hopefully the tyres will get here by the time I sort out the other hardware.