• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ep 82 Cold Start Vibration

amad

Mileage and the idle speed are not related. But due to wear and tear sometimes it could be difficult to run the engine smoothly at the recommended idle speed. Then of course you need to set it slightly higher until you decide to rebuilt it. However at a genuine mileage of 100,000 km a Toyota 4efe type well maintained engine should run smoothly even for another 100,000 kms.

anyone with their own car experince please post the rpm values.

What would be the normal idle rpm for a used starlet which clocks 100000km.Please someone with first hand experience help.

Default is 700.

correct me if I'm wrong.

usually it's around 750 without aircon running.btw I need to know some answers regarding your vehicle

1.isn't your car came with an OBD I port?

2.when was the last time the engine went through an overhaul or a compression check?

Since you live in Nugegoda,I suggest you to take the car to Udara Motors at Ethul Kotte.PM me for the contact details.

correct me if I'm wrong.

usually it's around 750 without aircon running.btw I need to know some answers regarding your vehicle

1.isn't your car came with an OBD I port?

2.when was the last time the engine went through an overhaul or a compression check?

Since you live in Nugegoda,I suggest you to take the car to Udara Motors at Ethul Kotte.PM me for the contact details.

Default value is 700.That is printed underneath the bonnet.

1.I dont know about that.

2.Never it has.

@ Rumesh an all;

I also feel very slight (I feel it when I stay fully aware) shaking near 1000 rpm when it comes down from above in cold start with AC off. In normal driving can't feel it with or without AC on. Engine mounts and spark plugs recently replaced. Is it alarming something or it just maybe the inherent frequency of the vehicle to oscillate with engine frequency?

what is the car model?

what is the idle rpm without AC.

@ Rumesh an all;

I also feel very slight (I feel it when I stay fully aware) shaking near 1000 rpm when it comes down from above in cold start with AC off. In normal driving can't feel it with or without AC on. Engine mounts and spark plugs recently replaced. Is it alarming something or it just maybe the inherent frequency of the vehicle to oscillate with engine frequency?

The engine is on flexible mounts and has a natural frequency of oscillation. If the RPM happens to cross this fundamental frequency (unlikely for it will be very violent) or a harmonic of the same there will always be a noticeable increase in the vibration. If you do not get the same vibration at a lower RPM then there is nothing to worry. Usually the vibration at a lower RPM (say 800rpm) is due to imbalance in the cylinders (some cylinders producing more power than the others). Apologies to OP for hijacking his thread.

• Like 2

Those rates are bit lower than the normal rates i think .Seek advice from a expert here.

I'm not an expert on these things but for a FB15 the idle speeds are MT 650+/-50 and AT 800+/-50. Charith's FB15 is within limits. If the engine is running smooth there is nothing wrong in maintaining it at the lower limit for it is then the engine and fuel wastage is at a minimum.

Ok I get it. Let's wait till some expert comment. Hope Rumesh88 respond. The issue I've mentioned is just near 1000 rpm. It smooth at above mentioned rpm. Lower rpm after a ride I thought because of well lubrication and optimal engine warm up. It doesn't go below 650 and won't make any issues. Anyway let's wait till comments come.

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

• 1 month later...

@Charith

You idle RPM is at 400 which is low. At this RPM your engine must be vibrating noticeably. Have you done a tune up recently? Check if there is a vacuum leak on the EVAP control system (the tubes leading to the charcoal canister, cracks at the tube ends).

@Charith

You idle RPM is at 400 which is low. At this RPM your engine must be vibrating noticeably. Have you done a tune up recently? Check if there is a vacuum leak on the EVAP control system (the tubes leading to the charcoal canister, cracks at the tube ends).

no , this is 700

• Like 1