• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brake Disks Finishing

CodeMaster

Question

Is it a good idea to finish the disc before replacing new brake pads. My garage guy suggest me that. My discs are worn bit and need to replace caliper repair kits as well. Is it worth of refinish discs? It's a11 yer old car...I don’t want to spend on unnecessary things if it's not really required. Thanks… :speechless-smiley-006:

My opinion is that regardless of how well the bonding has been done, if the friction material used is too abrasive, then the pads will wear out the rotor sooner. That's quite similar to using substandard aftermarket brake pads. So if OEM pads/shoes are available, then it's always safe to use them.

If we look at overall performance , safety and durability yes its right.

However when it comes to business vehicles the perspective changes. Most of the cases the brakes will worn out in 3,4 months and required replacement. Thus the cash flow, time value of money, etc plays bigger role comparing to our car.

From business point of view, if they hope to use the vehicle for 2 years and it required 5 times brake pad/shoe changes. They might spend 1/10 of the cost for those 5 changes and end up with worn out brake rotor/drum after 2 years. So they sell it and move to another vehicle.

Edit - Not that I say this is the right thing to do. But There is a business line built up just like re-boring, re-filing worn out CV joits, bushes, etc, for a vehicle used solely for business it makes more sense.

Edited by MkX
  • Like 1

My worry in terms of brake liners is them coming off and then causing the wheel to jam. This just happened to a guy in the Ratsun forum the other day while at 70mph at a motorway. Only sheer luck and skill had avoided a serious accident.

In my car the liners had come off (must have been low quality replacements), but on one side they stayed attached. I would dread to think what might have happened if they had completely come off.

I think in certain cases we have no choice. Either the parts are not available, ridiculously expensive. Also not all pads/ liners are the same quality (like the ones I clearly had) and sometimes you might even be better off getting them re lined vs buying new.

They reline clutches and brake shoes even in the UK for the same reasons.

Ultimately the key is knowing what you are buying I guess. Some people are going to do a better job than others.