• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Motoring Scams In Sri Lanka

tinyman

You seriously need to get off the internet and get to the real world.Take a copy of the CR to RMV, 1st Floor, Car Section.

Ask any officer there to verify the CR for you. The have a scanned copy of the exact CR and they can check everything including the Lot Nos. Ask them to check whether there are any pending transfers (website will not tell you the LOT Nos and pending transfer status. Also the free version of the website will only tell you the absolute owner (finance company) and not the actual owner's name - that's why I said... get off the internet).

If the CR tallies with the one in their system, then you are good

If it doesn't tally, then move on to the next car and stop thinking too much about it.

There are too many scams in this country and you and I cant possibly fight all those...

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, jayanathkarunarathna said:

Thanks for sharing. It'll be more beneficial for others if you can report this to police

I doubt anything will come of it. The police would probably not even write down an entry, and will even if they do that will be the last of it. Its hard enough to get them to investigate a violent crime let alone something like this. Not their fault through, it not like they don't have enough going on...

Edited by Kavvz

Since this is hoodwinking a buyer would it fall under some consumer rights protection act having said that this is fairly common place practice by many buying and selling guys (aka baiyas)

I remember one of these pests who knew me through an associate once got wind I was looking for a car kept turning up at my place with various cars which were either his brother's, uncle's or cousins that he was taking for a service. He could ask them if they are selling if i were intersted. Interestingly one of these cars would later go on sale on AL classifieds with much less milage than when he brought it for me to see.

At selling time, Odometer change comes to play in sellers mind, and apparently there are 2 key reasons; (1). Cheat to get an undue price (2). Even if seller has well maintained a vehicle with  high mileage and though all records are available, 'fear of getting a buyer mind' sets in. Odometer tampering happens not only in SL, but even in developed countries. Professional auto-site like AutoLanka perhaps may assist in this regard; (1). Create an awareness that it is nothing to fear buying a vehicle as long as seller can show evidence of due care was taken -may be with some guideline on capping the mileage for each type of vehicle (2). Linking the Insurance providers and RMV to get details of the vehicle for a fee (2). Introduce road-worthiness certification with adequate checkpoints and action taken.

This would not address the cheating 100%, but it may at least ease the buyers' (even sellers') fears on trading used vehicles, and eventually it would regularise itself.

Edited by VecLa
  • Like 1

I sold my Vitz in June. Mileage was somewhere around 101000Km. Lots of ppl told me to turn it down to about 60K. I didn't do that because i do not believe in such acts. 

But most of genuine buyers who called me were put back and never came to have a look when i told them it has run 100K despite me having all maintenance records from start from one of the reputed service centers. Most of the people who offered to buy were sellers offering low prices to make a quick buck.

I think its a psychological thing. Despite knowing the meter could be doctored they go for lower mileage vehicles.

23 minutes ago, Quiet said:

I sold my Vitz in June. Mileage was somewhere around 101000Km. Lots of ppl told me to turn it down to about 60K. I didn't do that because i do not believe in such acts. 

But most of genuine buyers who called me were put back and never came to have a look when i told them it has run 100K despite me having all maintenance records from start from one of the reputed service centers. Most of the people who offered to buy were sellers offering low prices to make a quick buck.

I think its a psychological thing. Despite knowing the meter could be doctored they go for lower mileage vehicles.

When I sold my previous presea, it had a mileage of 217k... I advertised and when they called I said the mileage was 217 and most of them kept the phone right away... got around 30-35 calls within the first 3 days and only 3 people turned up to see the car for that mileage... sold it for the 1st fellow who made the offer... so most of them still expect a 17 year old car to have a mileage less than 100k... 

• Like 1

Guys, just putting my 2 cents on this topic!

I'm an IT professional with a fair knowledge in programming and enterprise applications consulting. 

Almost every odometer in today's market have some kind of an EEPROM ( Electronically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) to record car mileage. Although most of the new cars have linked clusters with the ECU, it's just another EEPROM chip.

With sound knowledge of Serial programming/NAND chip programming and cheap ebay chip flashers almost anyone can adjust anything in those chips.

So never ever rely on the odometer reading or ECU diag report for actual mileage.
Laws are vague in Sri Lanka for this kind of tampering and I highly doubt whether it can be verified by even the manufacturer of the car if chips have been reprogrammed. Simply, correct reprogramming doesn't leave any detectable electronic trace.

So beware!

Edited by Jason_Bourne
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jason_Bourne said:

Guys, just putting my 2 cents on this topic!

I'm an IT professional with a fair knowledge in programming and enterprise applications consulting. 

Almost every odometer in today's market have some kind of an EEPROM ( Electronically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) to record car mileage. Although most of the new cars have linked clusters with the ECU, it's just another EEPROM chip.

With sound knowledge of Serial programming/NAND chip programming and cheap ebay chip flashers almost anyone can adjust anything in those chips.

So never ever rely on the odometer reading or ECU diag report for actual mileage.
Laws are vague in Sri Lanka for this kind of tampering and I highly doubt whether it can be verified by even the manufacturer of the car if chips have been reprogrammed. Simply, correct reprogramming doesn't leave any detectable electronic trace.

So beware!

Yes but there are some genuine reasons why one would need to change the odo reading if it's stored locally,  for an example if you replaced your guage cluster the new cluster would have a different reading. There are many tutorials online on how to do this based on specific car models, due to ethical reasons I will not post any links.  But basically it's a matter of editing the nand IC with hex, some are read only so alternatively copying the old hex values from the old meter clusters nand chip into an empty nand memory works as well. 

4 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Yes but there are some genuine reasons why one would need to change the odo reading if it's stored locally,  for an example if you replaced your guage cluster the new cluster would have a different reading. There are many tutorials online on how to do this based on specific car models, due to ethical reasons I will not post any links.  But basically it's a matter of editing the nand IC with hex, some are read only so alternatively copying the old hex values from the old meter clusters nand chip into an empty nand memory works as well. 

Agree!
That's why we need this kind of laws in Sri Lanka.
http://www.cbs.sa.gov.au/assets/files/odometer_request_form_web1.pdf

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, H.C said:

One of my colleagues paid a advance for a new Vitz from above car sale (Wasana Trading ) and when he went to get the car,they were reluctant to show the original jaai certificate. Ultimately it happened to be a R grade car with altered millage. (60000 plus original milage converted to 14000km or something similar). So they have paid back the advance payment .Guess what same car had been bought by a high ranked police officer few days later.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quoted from another thread 

• 1 month later...

I have decided to switch to another car instead of that.I thank everyone for their support.the thing is that no one is checking about these details about the auction sheet and the jevic certificates and etc. Please educate everyone who you know about these things.I'll post the details in elakiri.com

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lakimanka said:

I have decided to switch to another car instead of that.I thank everyone for their support.the thing is that no one is checking about these details about the auction sheet and the jevic certificates and etc. Please educate everyone who you know about these things.I'll post the details in elakiri.com

Thank you!

• 2 years later...