• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Great Debate - Rice Or Spice? Or Both? Or Neither?

Blitz

Ok here are my two rupees. Comes as no surprise:

I say spice. No rice. Because I believe jap vehicles of that era look absolutely fabulous and timeless the way they rolled out of the factory. Not these buckets we have now. I mean anything made from the late 80's to late '90's.

They were also developed with a lot of scope left for performance mods. I mean, the stuff you can do with a honda b series or d series is just insane! As with a 4age, nissan 6 pots, Mitsu 2 liters, boxers...

That being said, the veilside rx in Tokyo drift stole my heart. The advance audio guy's local copy of it didn't

Amen to that!

Edited by Ruslan

What black magic is this?? I was looking at the funniest moment thread and was wondering where all the storm clouds went :D

Rice or spice..My opinion is both but the rice should be in moderation. The Japs up to the late 90's and even early '00s dished out some of the most beautiful machines til date. Watching Rotaryhead go on and on about rescuing a rusted 8, I couldn't stop thinking how much better the 7 was compared to the 8. Sure the 8 has so much more tech in it but the 7 always tugged at my heart strings on the rare occasion I see one on the road. I'm sure most of you feel the same when you see a R34 or an S15 here and there. And those things had so much more potential when they left the company. The aftermarket support you see, even to this date, for SR20s and RBs is a clear indication that the Japs knew their s*it back then.

I think it's a waste not to milk at least a little bit out their performance. And then again, a car is sort of a personal reflection of the man behind the wheel. So a little bit of customization should be OK, but should not be the entire exercise. It's not like we didn't like Brian O'Connor's Evo or the Skyline in 2F2F

Basically what I'm saying is, If it looks the part, it should have the nuts to back it up.

My opinion about rice and spice?

If you know what the hell you are doing with it, I'm fine. MIley Cyrus thinks she's hot when she twerked with whos that guy... but the rest of teh world knows otherwise... those homogay civics are a bit like miley cyrus. a bloody waste of energy.

Have owned both spice and rice... and have respect for both....'nuff said!

One cannot call himself a car enthusiast untill he respects ALL car cultures...Calling them Homos only displays the poster's ignorance and unsatisfaction with his own car ownership experience.Like for example people like kelum_wj who thinks he's jesus sent from god to save all ricers but dumbass was just another poser with his pimped Maruti.

And people saying 90s Japanese cars all had timeless designs better get their vision tested.Apart from the RX7 FD,Skyline and maybe the Supra most other japs are ugly as hell and have aged really badly.I know beauty is in the of the beholder and so on but that is the generally accepted view among car pundits regarding jap cars of that era.

And some smartass saying that I'm biased against Japs cos most of my cars are European has another think coming....MD was born and bred on rotarys and vtecs baby!

Forget Miley Circus-freak and look up the explicit version of Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines on Youtube. Much more worth your while, I promise you.

Edit : Here - Bless Vevo

Edit 2: NSFW, People!

And that's how you make awesome music videos on low budget..!

I'm sure a few people are going to fall in trouble cause NSFW is mentioned "below" the link..

Back to the topic. (Rice or Spice, that is..)

In my opinion, general ricers are behind on the knowledge of technologies involved in a car, whereas spicers (hope this means people who do performance modifications) got to know their stuff about horsepower, torque, body-roll, drag and what not.

That's why most of the riced cars don't even perform up to the default factory level in speed and handling, if that is taken as a benchmark.

This way, ricers have made their cars ornaments that can also move a bit.

On the other hand, spicers let go of the original look and durability of the car to make them go faster and handle better.

This makes a spiced car not performing to the factory level in comfort, long term usability and functionality (equipment etc)

Two different mindsets.. But if I'm given the option of having two cars, I don't mind one of them being a riced up civic (but not in pink hell no..!) and the other being an M3 with a roll cage.

Edited by ae100

Rice or spice? I like mix, more towards spice but not extreme. I'm agree here with MD. We Can't discriminate rice guys about there knowledge. It's ultimately their perception about their cars how they love, feel it (car romance some might like violent while others gentle touch). As long as they care about their cars without neglecting, that should be fine I think.

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe