• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Restoring a Toyota Sprinter Trueno

iRage

You think £500 for a used set is a steel or one for £500 is a steal? I'm obviously quoting GBP here. They were RX8 types (you know 8 spoke alloy, not a mag versions)

I'm used to carcases. I have a couple lying around :)

I meant 500GBP for a set was a steal considering one brand new R-type aluminium wheel was/is about 45000yen and t(about 300GBP?) he magnesium one about 65,000yen (450GBP ??)plus taxes on average. Actually, having converted the 500GBP, I am not sure...when I was looking I can recall seeing magnesium sets running at around 90,000yen on average and the aluminium ones for about 50.000yen on avg. Every now and then you see individuals stripping their cars at home which are being sold at really really low prices.

I meant 500GBP for a set was a steal considering one brand new R-type aluminium wheel was/is about 45000yen and t(about 300GBP?) he magnesium one about 65,000yen (450GBP ??)plus taxes on average. Actually, having converted the 500GBP, I am not sure...when I was looking I can recall seeing magnesium sets running at around 90,000yen on average and the aluminium ones for about 50.000yen on avg. Every now and then you see individuals stripping their cars at home which are being sold at really really low prices.

Yeah by the time it gets here the value sky rockets (£500 for one brand new or £500 for a used set). To be honest if somebody can export these from Japan direct and ship them to SL, whole of Sri Lankan car nuts will worship that purpose forever more.

• 2 months later...

I wish there were drastic updates....I am dealing with the frustrations of taking of layers of cataloy (the bottom half of the car has it quite thick) and the tinkering baas disappearing for days and days and days and days after cleaning up each panel.

I wish there were drastic updates....I am dealing with the frustrations of taking of layers of cataloy (the bottom half of the car has it quite thick) and the tinkering baas disappearing for days and days and days and days after cleaning up each panel.

This seems to be a common quality of tinkers. Maybe they work in multiple places and take on small jobs that pay them more.

But still... It's golden to find something that's in original condition :yahoo:

Any idea about the difference between an AE91 and an AE92?? :speechless-smiley-019::speechless-smiley-019:

But still... It's golden to find something that's in original condition :yahoo:

Any idea about the difference between an AE91 and an AE92?? :speechless-smiley-019::speechless-smiley-019:

Yes..thankfully the previous owner had done a good job bringing it back to what it was thus saving me from additional frustration; and from the old pics I got from him it doesn't seem to have been raped before that either :)

The 90 series was the first time the Levin/Trueno went FF. Basically the AE92 was the sportier version and the AE91 the standard econo coupe' version.The AE92 came with a 4A-GE or 4A-GZE engine, had bigger brakes, discs all around and I believe TEMS was standard in all the AE92 grades.

The AE91 on the other hand came with the 5A-FE engine (108 ? or something HP). The later versions came with the 5A-FHE engine which had some fancy EFI system and larger throttle which pushed out 130 ? or something HP (can't remember the exact output figures). I've heard some people say the 5A-FHE is almost as good as the 4A-GE on the AE101s and that the engine is a good base for tuning (well for a Toyota power plant at least). The AE91 had front discs with rear drums, softer suspension, etc...

Yes..thankfully the previous owner had done a good job bringing it back to what it was thus saving me from additional frustration; and from the old pics I got from him it doesn't seem to have been raped before that either :)

The 90 series was the first time the Levin/Trueno went FF. Basically the AE92 was the sportier version and the AE91 the standard econo coupe' version.The AE92 came with a 4A-GE or 4A-GZE engine, had bigger brakes, discs all around and I believe TEMS was standard in all the AE92 grades.

The AE91 on the other hand came with the 5A-FE engine (108 ? or something HP). The later versions came with the 5A-FHE engine which had some fancy EFI system and larger throttle which pushed out 130 ? or something HP (can't remember the exact output figures). I've heard some people say the 5A-FHE is almost as good as the 4A-GE on the AE101s and that the engine is a good base for tuning (well for a Toyota power plant at least). The AE91 had front discs with rear drums, softer suspension, etc...

So the other components such as the gearbox is the same? Does that mean the 5A-F can be swapped with a 4A-GE or GZE without changing the gearbox? What are the other parts required? Btw both are FWD right?

So the other components such as the gearbox is the same? Does that mean the 5A-F can be swapped with a 4A-GE or GZE without changing the gearbox? What are the other parts required? Btw both are FWD right?

The AE92 came with the C52 gearbox and I think the AE91 came with a C50 gearbox (I say that only because most 5A engines came with it...). Not entirely sure about he mating of a C50 gearbox with a 4A-G engine...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Okay...I know a lot o updates are due....but not today I am afraid.

So a quick question...the power steering rack is leaking oil. Now the mechanic wants to replace it and surprise surprise..none of the usual parts shop carry it. So the only solution (atleast for now) is to rebuild it. Having checked the web the old fashioned rack is somewhat serviceable. My question is..does anyone know of a mechanic/garage who actually knows something/anything about rebuilding the rack ?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know the latest regulations regarding Engine swaps ? 

I have been hearing rumors that the upto 500cc capacity increase has been scrapped and the new engine has to be the same capacity of the original engine the car came with.

Any truth to this ? 

Even if it is true, I am presuming it applies only to new engine swaps...

Since I am not in SL its a bit hard to get info directly from RMV...

• 2 years later...

Wow...it has been 3 years since anything was stated here....on the plus side...nothing much has happened with the car except for a few things here and there....

So here is a recap...

When I got it:
The previous owner had installed a 7A-GE engine built with a 4A-GE blacktop head and converted the AT to a T50 5-speed.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:

Engine:
UPDATE : Stock 4A-GE Blue top which I got from a friend in Japan off his low mileage car which he crashed :)

UPDATE : Cooling plate and AE86 washer fluid tank
- Installed the Fujitsubo exhaust the previous owner gave me with the car
- WHAT I AM PLANNING : Get a custom WEPR exhaust system that is more subtle and quiet....

Brakes/Clutch
- UPDATE : T3 braided brake lines (to be installed)
- AE86 pedal box
- AE86 master and slave clutch cylinders overhauled with Toyota overhaul kit
- AE86 brake booster and master
- AE86 front calipers completely overhauled with Toyota overhaul kit
- Dixel disks and brake pads

Suspension
- FRONT: Techno Toy Tuning coilovers custom built with KYB adjustable dampers and TRD springs with CUSCO camber plates.
- REAR: TRD adjustable short stroke dampers with TRD racing springs
- AE86 Front lower strut bar and CUSCO upper strut bar
- AE86 Rear under carriage strut bar (custom fabricated on to AE85 chassis)
- Replaced all suspension bushes with stock AE86 Toyota bushes

Body and Electricals
- Complete strip down and repaint
- New bumper signal/parking indicator lenses
- Swapped existing Levin coupe lights for Trueno coupe lights
- Installed an AE86 trunk lead garnish
- Installed new pop-up light motors
- Pop-up light control relay and pop-up relay plus interior wiring harness off of an AE86

Interior
- Redid the old style AE85 seats
- New light and wiper switches
- New AC switch panel
- Replaced lower dash components
- New panel clips, etc…
- AE86 meter cluster and housing...
- Clock and clock garnish

Tires and Wheels
- WHEELS: (Actual) RS Watanabe B-types. 14x7 rear and 14x6.5 front
- I can’t remember what the tires are…all I can say is I like the old style chunky wheel look of the AE86

• Like 1

and after the bulk of the work has been completed...

No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.Image may contain: 2 people, car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoorNo photo description available.

This was taken minutes before I went for a drive and the front wheel came off sending the car skidding...thankfully nothing broke :) ? No photo description available.

My Labrador decided to creep under the car and bite the steering rack..

No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.

Oh yeah...I did put in a TRD short shifter too...

No photo description available.No photo description available.

• Like 2

Whilst I was away, my dad decided to install the side strips...sadly it is at a higher level than it should be so need to refit it...

image.png.cbda54482e7bdf687f73b1ed6e5e3e01.png

image.png.9a40de483391c528de36f87a38ffec7a.png

The ECU was dangling at the back of the center console...so again..dad had gotten a bracket made and stuck it behind the carpet :)

image.png.c8dac6bffed67151b7a233ccaaaf7987.pngimage.thumb.png.29c6b6a421b310329bb32ce34f8824cf.png

When the car was taken to an AE85 Meet-up a few weeks ago...

image.thumb.png.e411bca9c102b0abb0a008a3749d4ed3.png

image.thumb.png.798f65d5ccca3ac5e2203f5db179518e.png

image.thumb.png.3fc761ffea90630849a1083a1eb25df2.png

image.thumb.png.b99665e7180f058b96b04d44182e6047.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, iRage said:

image.png.9a40de483391c528de36f87a38ffec7a.png

image.png.c8dac6bffed67151b7a233ccaaaf7987.png

This is indeed a sight for sore eyes! WOW!  There's something charming about 80's and early 90's cars - the very linear-ness and the interior that reminds me of VHS players,Walkmans, Nintendo and the Terminator ?