• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Import A Car From Sri Lanka To Japan (Not A Misprint)

john cooper

I am trying to get my '59 Willys CJ5 across to NZ and its ok with the NZ authorities BUT the SL authorities (RMV) have classified all vehicles over 40 years as "National Heritage" and they are not allowed to be taken out of the country.

Damn "Heritage", We T.C of the our own cars in SL and they talking about heritage

And btw, does the government support the owners in any shape or form in the difficult business of maintaining this national heritage? If a citizen paid retail, spent the time, money and effort maintaining the car and documentation, why can't he do what he deems fits with it?

Of course the government can impose restrictions on it, but I call BS on the reason being "the government gives a s#!t about the cars".

And btw, does the government support the owners in any shape or form in the difficult business of maintaining this national heritage? If a citizen paid retail, spent the time, money and effort maintaining the car and documentation, why can't he do what he deems fits with it?

Of course the government can impose restrictions on it, but I call BS on the reason being "the government gives a s#!t about the cars".

Well, I dont agree. Just like unmovable assets like buildings and estates or what not, these are still part of ancient sri lankan culture. Same applies for ancient artifacts like swords, jewelry and what not from centuries ago.

As for ae100' question I thinkt he authorities DON'T have an issue with antiques being brought it. I recall seeing a old Rolls Royce on a english number. I dont know the full story on it, but it DID come in recently AFAIK. It's the country gaining something in this case, so why say no...

Well, I dont agree. Just like unmovable assets like buildings and estates or what not, these are still part of ancient sri lankan culture. Same applies for ancient artifacts like swords, jewelry and what not from centuries ago.

As for ae100' question I thinkt he authorities DON'T have an issue with antiques being brought it. I recall seeing a old Rolls Royce on a english number. I dont know the full story on it, but it DID come in recently AFAIK. It's the country gaining something in this case, so why say no...

that RR was a special case as I heard (for a foreigner). There is no regular process for the general public to follow should one decides to import one.

and I think you misunderstood my point. There is no argument about the significance of a vintage car as part of the history of a country. But I simply don't buy the fact that the government imposed these restrictions to export wit the intention of preservation. AFAIK there isn't much help by the government to preserve these articles. I just think it's best if the car survives elsewhere than rust to the ground.

that RR was a special case as I heard (for a foreigner). There is no regular process for the general public to follow should one decides to import one.

and I think you misunderstood my point. There is no argument about the significance of a vintage car as part of the history of a country. But I simply don't buy the fact that the government imposed these restrictions to export wit the intention of preservation. AFAIK there isn't much help by the government to preserve these articles. I just think it's best if the car survives elsewhere than rust to the ground.

Well, the car can't be preserved if it's not even in the country right. True the authorities may not be doing anything much to preserve the cars individually, but at least they are taking steps to make sure the country don't loose these treasures.

And frankly I dont think those who own these classics need financial help per-se. The only help they do need from the authorities is to keep them in the country.

edit: Speaking of letting cars rust to the ground, did anyone read/hear anything more about the "classic car registry" that someone from Colombo Uni (or some uni) compiling..

Edited by Watchman

Last time we sent some parts (Original canopy and carpet set) for the car and Dad endedup paying 104,000/= as tax just to save "National Heritage" name. If they not letting us take this from SL atleast they should give us a tax deduction or something to send the parts as its a genuine thing not a dodgy business :violent-smiley-027: