• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fiat Punto 2007/2008

ajnluv69

Question

Hi everyone.. I'm planning to buy a used Fiat Punto 2007/2008 petrol tiptronic car. Despite that there is no second-hand value I just want to know the maintenance cost and any other issues.. Got to know that this is good on fuel and more comfortable than a Japanese vehicle. One person told me that there is a gearbox issue with tiptronic gearbox. Pls enlighten me with this issue. Thanx everyone.. :-)

• Like 1

I think when they got the fiat agency people with the italian made puntos started going there for repairs. In the beginning they've had to bring in some of the fiat gurus we refer to in the forum. With time most probably the lolc mechanics learned a thing or two. Nws my opinion nobody knows in detail about these cars. People with the most experience are the safest bet. Hopefully they've had more time to tinker around & learn.

With regard to manufacturing in India, they don't own the JV plant anymore. The initial Indian puntos had a mix of Italian & Indian parts but apprently recent iterations have been 99% localised. LOLC has nothing to do with fiat anymore. I actually wrote to FCA Singapore office & they directed me to micro cars given they have some form of sales agreement on Alfa Romeo in SL. But the micro guys were very forthcoming in saying that the agreement has not lead to any significant tech transfer capable of maintaining these cars.

It is true that majority of the Fiats I've seen at LOLC are Indian ones, however they have the know-how regarding the italian ones and does a really good job with repairs.

My Selespeed stopped working due to a pump failure and they were able to identify the problem very quickly ad removed the faulty part. I managed to get the pump fixed and they refit and did an oil change and service for a very reasonable price (they even replaced two faulty bulbs without me asking).

Even at an earlier date, I had a massive coolant leak besides the engine bay, as soon as I took the car in they knew where the issue was exactly, and managed to get the car fixed within two days. Again, the charges were very reasonable.

Overall they do a decent job for the amount you pay and they've all the required tools. This is the only place I've been so far to repair the car, therefore I can't really compare the other places.

19 minutes ago, NeroX said:

Out of curiosity how long ago was this selespeed issue? Do they have selespeed oil n parts in stock? Good to know there's good support arnd for the Punto.

This issue happened in December. They have the oil but not the exact one but compatible. Parts generally they source it from the places you already know ;)

I replaced my accumulator recently (original one was not faulty though) and have to replace an Electronic Valve which is causing the hydrolic pressure to drop fast. These information i got from another forum. Helpful bunch there too.

Edited by gunemalli

11 hours ago, gunemalli said:

This issue happened in December. They have the oil but not the exact one but compatible. Parts generally they source it from the places you already know ;)

I replaced my accumulator recently (original one was not faulty though) and have to replace an Electronic Valve which is causing the hydrolic pressure to drop fast. These information i got from another forum. Helpful bunch there too.

Exactly what I was worried about. There have been previous instances where people have used non-tutela oil on the dualogic system causing all the oil seals to deteriorate. The electronic valve you're referring to is this. Most probably it has started happening already. Gearbox, Brake fluid I'm not too adamant on using tutela but this is an absolute no no. I went through hell trying to fix my one which was abused previously. Just a word of caution.

Euro motors imported about 100 grande Puntos then from UK. They opened the service facility at Peliyagoda those days. But some reason they do not import anymore. However repairs are still undertaken at Peliyagoda. I went there several times and they did good job and charges were  reasonable. A mechanic from there operates a workshop at Makola. I went there for clutch repair and subsequently  sold it to him since my wife had enough trouble with Punto.:unsure:

On 10/16/2013 at 3:50 PM, VVTi said:

A man who insists on complete clarity before deciding never decides, however here is Noel's and Indika's numbers, call them, give them the vehicle number, if they know about it you will get your answer. They have more knowledge on all Italians in this country than anyone I know. However, I must tell you now, you will not enjoy a Euro with this much paranoia.

You seems like a guy will be happy as shit in a Maruti. No offense.

Noel 0774044516

Indika 0771674675

Good luck, if you get it don't skimp on things and ruin a fairly nice car.

Thank you very much for the information of Mr.Indika's number. looks as he is a genuine man. I was looking for our fiat punto ECu repair and he gave me a great idea

I have a one for like 2 years now and had to gone through major repairs as mentioned below.

• Had to repair the whole selespeed gear issues with new parts.
  • Complete replacement/repair of the whole A/C system.
  • Fuel filter replaced
  • All engine mounts and gear box mounts were replaced
  • Radiator replaced

And many more other small repairs.

Edited by jwenn

@ajnluv69 owned one. @VVTi bought one brand new and owned it for over 2 years or so.

I owned a petrol dualogic one (KI-211X ) and the only manual Grande Punto in the country (KN-955X). The latter was part of a leasing scam (some guy imported it, took a massive lease on it, dumped the car and ran off with the money). I bought it after the leasing company decided to give up. Did the repairs on it properly and used it for 6 months or so before selling it off. 

If you plan to buy a GP, look for the manual one if its for sale. If its properly maintained, go for it. Proper restoration using genuine parts didn't cost me much because Its a much simpler car than the dualogic ones and easy to repair. Many parts were common with older Fiats. Or else go for a diesel Grande Punto.

There's also a JR-number older Punto (2005 model) imported from South Africa. That was in very good nick when I checked it around 2015 or so. 

@jwenn who's repairing your car now? Su*il Ayya, Noel or Indika? I've totally lost touch with the Fiat underworld now.

On 8/6/2020 at 3:11 PM, Crosswind said:

@ajnluv69 owned one. @VVTi bought one brand new and owned it for over 2 years or so.

I owned a petrol dualogic one (KI-211X ) and the only manual Grande Punto in the country (KN-955X). The latter was part of a leasing scam (some guy imported it, took a massive lease on it, dumped the car and ran off with the money). I bought it after the leasing company decided to give up. Did the repairs on it properly and used it for 6 months or so before selling it off. 

If you plan to buy a GP, look for the manual one if its for sale. If its properly maintained, go for it. Proper restoration using genuine parts didn't cost me much because Its a much simpler car than the dualogic ones and easy to repair. Many parts were common with older Fiats. Or else go for a diesel Grande Punto.

There's also a JR-number older Punto (2005 model) imported from South Africa. That was in very good nick when I checked it around 2015 or so. 

@jwenn who's repairing your car now? Su*il Ayya, Noel or Indika? I've totally lost touch with the Fiat underworld now.

One and only S***l. He's doing a pretty neat job.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:54 AM, jwenn said:

I have a one for like 2 years now and had to gone through major repairs as mentioned below.

• Had to repair the whole selespeed gear issues with new parts.
  • Complete replacement/repair of the whole A/C system.
  • Fuel filter replaced
  • All engine mounts and gear box mounts were replaced
  • Radiator replaced

And many more other small repairs.

Sounds about right ?