• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2Nd Hand Market Of The Hybrid Vehicles

bumblebee

Question

Im using a Toyota Axio.Wish to sell it and buy a new hybrid.But i wonder about its 2nd hand market.I've never heard of anyone using a second hand one..

In my opinion hybrid is more sophisticated and worth driving for its minimal fuel expenses.But on the otherhand its more like a computer and vulnerable to electronic damage and the battery is expensive;Further more, its said that long distance travel is not worthy than the short distance one.

The current gov budget proposal is more towards the supportin of the hybrids.So I hope more will be used in future and options would be available.

So is it worth to buy a hybrid regardless of the second hand value..?

I value your reply..

Bumblebee

Edited by bumblebee

He googled me and got the wrong guy! What an idiot!! It's so fcuking funny!! If he had bothered to read any of my threads he would actually know who I am! Oh Lols!! And Shanka happens to be one of my closest friends. Mata nan puken-uth hinaa yanawa. Kindiya wahaganna jungiyak denna-da?

Hate and frustration baby I can't get enough of all the hate and frustration in my life!

• Like 2

Lols guys this thread is amusing so I want to join!!!

Firstly one could bring out financial analysis, economical analysis, npvs or break even points but the concept of second hand market and making a fortune out of your vehicle is unique to Sri Lanka due to its taxation policies and its unplanned economy. So as a matter of fact we all are frustrated bunch of people who try to save our poor wage being spent completely on fuel while the people who makes economic policies and financial policies travels in Mercs and BMWs (I dont have to mention their economy over hybrids) with a entourage. Moreover the frustration should grow, when unless you don't heir to a nice car and buying a new car is more like a dream come true and even if you achieve that dream, you will always carry a headache of settling the hire purchase lease with you for a very good period of 5 to 7 years.

To make things worst the people living in countries that discovered economic analysis or financial analysis clearly do not perform such analysis on purchasing a car and they are solely driven by the ego and the enthusiasm and they have enough tasks in their life to carry out such analysis. What we could see is that they purchase a car and use it for a while and take it to the junk yard after its been used for a period of time for which they do not expect the purchase value at all. its a depreciated value that they will expect and they do not have plans to cover the cost of their next car from that depreciated value instead they will make the next purchase from the tax return or more likely from their salary itself.

So having understood the reality I don't know how we point fingers at each other over frustration!!!

Talking about hybrids I think one have to be specific with the Hybrid car he/ she is having the enthusiasm. Cos there is prius or insight or fit and there is Toyota crown and Lexus and of course Porche Hybrids and the list goes on and on. But the selection of Hybrid (or any other car) clearly depends on your ego and enthusiasm and only such selection would let you enjoy your ride.

But if its the Prius or Insight or Fit that you are going to select, just because you see more of them on roads, one could look down on you because you are using a car that mostly used as taxis. :speechless-smiley-006: of course it will always take you to your destination like any other car and that's for sure.

And I saw few comments that criticize the admins and moderators or the senior guys here, which is not good as this is a place where we can share our issues mostly technical ( not financial or economic analysis) and get each others views regarding the problems we face with our vehicles. So just asking a Mechanical Expert to do an economic analysis and then criticize it is not acceptable at all.

• Like 1

Electric vehicles, if they are to successfully end pollution, sylvi, should ideally be charged from a solar power outlet. There's no point burning coal to generate power to charge a car. Might as well pump petrol.

Komisiripala,

Yes I agree to your point. At present there are plenty of R&D is on on developed countries, for electricity generation by various other methods.

In S L we have hydro power. Wind power is in a very big way. To my knowledge, CEB already on a very big way for that.

Few of my friends tried spending plenty of money for solar panels to generate power and supply to grid also.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 3

Komisiripala,

Yes I agree to your point. At present there are plenty of R&D is on on developed countries, for electricity generation by various other methods.

In S L we have hydro power. Wind power is in a very big way. To my knowledge, CEB already on a very big way for that.

Few of my friends tried spending plenty of money for solar panels to generate power and supply to grid also.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

to me, that's the way to go. because i remember on an earlier thread we did the calculation for charging a leaf from the grid. it takes about 25,000 rupees a month if you're running an average 80km per day. this is not taking into account the other appliances in the house, and we all know the bill rises exponentially when the units increase.

my idea is, imagine if we bought a leaf/prius plug in hybrid (currently available in SL, since we don't have the uber-sexy teslas) for around 4-4.5 million, and spent another 1 million on a good solar setup, would that be adequate to charge the leaf on its own daily? i'm equating this to the cost of a premio on the permit. (having paid for both)

maybe someone like Sampath who knows his solar panel stuff, can help us out with the calculation. this would be the ultimate free transport mode if it works out. i know i know batteries die, invertors die etc etc, but i beleive sampath has some info on a reliable solar outfit which gives a 25 year (or something) warranty on the invertor? what i'm saying is have the solar to exclusively charge the car, not net metering.

let's talk about something useful, instead of the whores-wallop that mogol chams comes up with...

• Like 1

Thanks Preveen, was expecting you .. Hope all the trading systems you support in order .. so that you could participate this post with your hate + frustration .. I guess you could do better .. :sport-smiley-004:

I actually felt like commenting , but stopped because this guy is so dumb that its' just a waste of words.

K(L)ollo, onna ohe ona deyak kiyapang..ape moko

• Like 3

Thanks Preveen, was expecting you .. Hope all the trading systems you support in order .. so that you could participate this post with your hate + frustration .. I guess you could do better .. :sport-smiley-004:

You were expecting a forum moderator to comment on a forum he moderates? Must be that crystal ball again [roll eyes]

I don't do support anymore FYI. Want any more personal info about me? Who I've been sleeping with and penis size in inches?

Know why no one bothers to look you up? Coz it makes no difference to peoples opinions of your knowledge on cars. Or your knowledge of etiquette when participating in a forum.

Memberrs,

To my knowledge This forum has no etiquette, On reply posts to members, by some privileged members.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Your knowledge is seriously lacking, as everyone and his dog knows. Forum etiquette is to use the member alias, or handle when replying to someone. This is why people here call me Peri, even tho my real name is included in my signature and not a big secret that required Sherlock Holmes to find it out. That is base etiquette on any forum.

So keep your ill-informed opinions to yourself, no one asked you, and no one wants to know.

Your knowledge is seriously lacking, as everyone and his dog knows. Forum etiquette is to use the member alias, or handle when replying to someone. This is why people here call me Peri, even tho my real name is included in my signature and not a big secret that required Sherlock Holmes to find it out. That is base etiquette on any forum.

So keep your ill-informed opinions to yourself, no one asked you, and no one wants to know.

Whatever.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

No one "hates" hybrid technology dude. Just that it has not surpassed what the conventional cars can still do pretty damn well. And I'm talking about the mainstream hybrids against the mainstream gasoline cars.

And about enjoying the latest technology (just for the sake of it being the 'latest') you are a demographic called 'early adopters' and manufacturers count on you guys to pay a premium price for the newest gadget. Nothing wrong with that, it's your money. But some of us like to let things play out and see how things develop.

And don't be so sure that the gasoline car will just die. It will, eventually, but your prius is not going to be the cause of it. Hybrid technology has a long way to go to take that place or (more likely) die before the gasoline cars to pave the way for alternative fuels.

It's not the fuel we enjoy dude, it's the cars. If it's fun to drive and not a bitch to keep running it, I don't care if it burns piss for fuel.

• Like 3

And dude, you're not scaring anyone by (unsuccessfully) googling their names. Most people here know each other personally. You're just making a fool of yourself.

Edited by Hoonigan

Members,

I got this press release few days back by Email.

96386058.jpg

Consumer Reports has released its annual Auto Reliability Rankings, and surprise of surprises, Japan is dominant. Among brands in 2014, Lexus, Toyota and Acura make up the top three marques, while Mazda, Infiniti, Honda and Subaru sit fifth, sixth, eighth, and tenth, respectively. For those keeping track at home, Japan's dominance wasn't complete, though.

Audi's 2014 models helped the German brand jump from eighth to fourth, while Volvo saw a massive, 13-spot improvement, to seventh overall. Even GMC got in on the action, jumping three places, to ninth.

Outside of the top 10, America, Europe and Japan saw more mixed results. Scion took the biggest tumble of any brand, falling ten positions to number 11, while Subaru, though still in the top ten, dropped five spots (coincidentally, CR had nothing good to say about Subaru and Toyota's joint venture, calling the BRZ and Scion FR-S each brand's least reliable vehicle). Nissan fell nine places to number 22 overall. BMW and Mercedes-Benz each climbed one place, to fifteenth and thirteenth, respectively.

The big earners, though, besides Volvo, included Buick, which jumped nine places to number 12. Chrysler and Ram both saw improvements, turning in at 18 and 19 respectively, although Jeep dropped four spots and Dodge stayed level at number 24. After a big fall in last year's rankings, Ford made a mild improvement, but was still dinged by CR over infotainment issues relating to MyFord Touch. Only Lincoln and Mini scored worse than the Blue Oval.

While the American and European brands have gained ground in terms of individual marques, Japan still has a firm grasp on individual vehicle categories. Of the 18 vehicle categories, ranging from subcompacts to sports cars to full-size pickups, Japanese models led 14 categories, including the midsize car and midsize SUV rankings. Europe captured the remaining four categories, while US cars and trucks were relegated to silver medals, at best.

Take a look below for a full press release on the 2014 rankings from Consumer Reports, and be sure to pick up CR's December 2013 issue for the full story on the annual Auto Reliability Rankings.

*UPDATE: Consumer Reports has removed the Toyota Camry, RAV4 and Prius V from its list of Recommended vehicles, and has added the Tesla Model S as a Recommended vehicle. Read more about those changes here.

Show full PR text

Consumer Reports Annual Auto Reliability Rankings: Japanese Dominance Cracks as Audi, Volvo & GMC Secure Spots in Top 10

In-Car Electronics Prove to be Achilles Heel for Many Models in Survey

YONKERS, NY-Japanese brands have historically been known for building some of the most reliable vehicles in the world. But Consumer Reports 2013 Annual Auto Reliability rankings show that some other automakers-from Europe and the U.S.-are also capable of building reliable vehicles. Audi, Volvo, and GMC captured three of the top-10 spots in the survey this year.

Survey results were released at a press conference today before the Automotive Press Association in Detroit.

Three Japanese brands, Lexus, Toyota, and Acura captured the top three spots in the survey, which was conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center. The survey is believed to be the largest of its kind; findings are based on CR subscribers' experiences with 1.1 million vehicles. Consumer Reports uses the survey data to compile reliability histories on vehicles and predict how well new cars that are currently on sale will hold up.

For more than a decade, Japanese brands have had a lock on most of the top spots in the survey. It's been rare for a European, Korean, or U.S. carmaker to achieve anything higher than seventh or eighth place.

But Audi, which has shown steady improvement in vehicle reliability during recent years, moved up four places this year to finish fourth overall-the top European manufacturer in the survey. Three Audis, the A6 sedan, Q7 SUV and Allroad wagon, have "much better than average" reliability. Volvo jumped 13 places to seventh. GMC emerged as the top domestic brand, finishing ninth-three places higher than last year. Moreover, every model from Audi, GMC, and Volvo, for which CR has data, earned an average or better reliability score.

The top predicted-reliability score went to the redesigned 2014 Subaru Forester SUV, which hadn't been on the market for very long when CR conducted the survey. The Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid got the worst score, and the regular C-Max Hybrid wasn't much better.

General Motors fared better than other domestic brands. In addition to GMC, Buick climbed nine slots to 12th place over last year. All Buicks except the V6 LaCrosse were average or better. The only dark spots for Chevrolet are the Camaro and Cruze, both of which earned below-average reliability scores.

Japanese brands took seven out of the 10 top spots in the survey. Nissan sank to 22nd among the 28 brands in the rankings. As a group, the nine Japanese brands in the survey still produce a remarkable number of reliable cars. Of the almost 100 models, 90 percent were average or better and almost a third ofthem received top marks. Ten of those highest scorers were Toyotas. Of the eight Lexus models in CR's survey, six got top marks. All Lexus and Acura models earned an above average reliability score while all Infiniti, Mazda, and Toyota models earned an average or better reliability score.

Two popular models, the redesigned 2013 Honda Accord V6 and the 2013 Nissan Altima, scored too poorly in the survey for Consumer Reports to continue Recommending them. Last year, CR had predicted that both vehicles would have at least average reliability.

Mazda slipped from fourth to fifth. The redesigned Mazda6 debuted with above-average
reliability. Subaru and Scion, which also typically rank well in reliability, were torpedoed by their twin sports cars, the Subaru BRZ and the Scion FR-S, which scored below average. This dropped Subaru to 10th place, from last year's fifth. Scion, for which CR had only two models with sufficient data, sank from first place to 11th this time.

One of the key problem areas in Consumer Reports' survey centers on in-car electronics, including the proliferating suite of audio, navigation, communication, and connected systems in newer cars. Of the 17 problem areas CR asks about, the category including in-car electronics generated more complaints from owners of 2013 models than for any other category.

In many cases, the survey revealed touch-screen infotainment systems have been buggy, with frustrating screen freezes, touch-control lag, or a reluctance to recognize a cell-phone, an MP3 device, or a voice command.

Hybrids and electric cars continue to do well. The Toyota Prius, Lexus ES 300h, Toyota Prius C, and Honda CR-Z hybrids, as well as the Nissan Leaf electric car, were among the top models. Ford's CMax and Fusion hybrids were the only exceptions.

The Tesla Model S electric car performed well enough in the survey to earn a Recommendation from CR for the first time. CR gathered data on more than 600 2012 and 2013 models. Owners of the 2012 model reported very few problems, although 2013 owners reported quite a few more. Problem areas included wind noise, squeaks and rattles, and body hardware (including the sunroof, doors, and locks).

Of the 31 Ford models in Consumer Reports' survey, only one, the F-150 pickup with the 3.7- liter V6, was above average. Seven achieved an average score. Ford's challenges don't end with the historically problematic My-Touch systems. Several EcoBoost turbocharged V6 models have poor reliability as well. Almost two-thirds of the 34 Fords and Lincolns in our survey got scores that were much worse than average.

Chrysler is still below par overall, but a bright spot is the very nice Chrysler 300 C which scores above average-last year it was the company's most troublesome vehicle. Unfortunately, some of Chrysler's most reliable models, such as the Jeep Compass and Patriot SUVs, didn't score well in Consumer Reports' testing, while the better performing 2014 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee has fallen well below average reliability.

In recent years, Hyundai and Kia were beginning to challenge the Japanese at the top of Consumer Reports' reliability rankings. In 2011, they scored well ahead of Detroit and most European companies. But they slipped a bit in the 2013 survey, with Kia ranking midpack and Hyundai sliding to 21st place.

BMW and Mercedes-Benz remained around midpack among all brands. Most models from those German badges are average or better, with each company having a few problem children: the BMW 335i and turbocharged six-cylinder X3, and the diesel-powered Mercedes M-Class. Volkswagen, which turned in a middling performance, was especially hampered by the trouble-prone Beetle, GTI, and Touareg. All three Minis in our survey made a very poor showing

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Been away for two weeks, and this thread has moved a lot :D

The hybrid cars can run with only gasoline and gasoline-electric dual mode with the battery support.

My point is ,when the battery is out in 5-10yrs time,still they can run with gasoline(but no longer can be called hybrids).

Cant we consider this as an advantageous point in hybrids in long term...?

Open for debate........

Bumblebee

Bumblebee, if you intend to run the car only with gasoline why buy a Hybrid?

Isam (apple keeps autocorrecting you to "Islam") don't be so hasty to scorn tiptronic. I'm a three pedal convert myself but still most of the new super/hyper cars have done away with the manual gearbox. I don't think Ferrari offers them any more, and Lamborghini only gives it as a custom add on. And there is something hella cool about flipping those paddles, having a twin clutch box match your revs and hear a v8 scream in less time than it takes your spinal cord to tell your hairs in your a$$ to stand on end...
I think most of super cars use "Manual gear box". the only difference is that they have switched to "Sequential transmission" which actually uses a Clutch and manual gear box.

But "Tiptronic" is just a forcefully up/down shift mechanism which is used with "Auto gear box".

anyway , what i think is , "Manual" lovers can not be satisfied by Tiptronic.

:sad-smiley-034: But I love manual transmission :)

As Richard Hammond says, "changing gear is a vital form of self-expression".

Edited by isam

Electric vehicles, if they are to successfully end pollution, sylvi, should ideally be charged from a solar power outlet. There's no point burning coal to generate power to charge a car. Might as well pump petrol.

Can't agree more.

When you add the environmental cost of;

• burning coal to generate power to charge cars
  • manufacturing the nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) or lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries for cars
  • disposing those batteries

my guess the hybrid cars do more damage to the enviroment than good.

Prius vehicles more reliable than we think they are. Check below;

Toyota Prius Hybrid Taxi Clocks 1 Million Kilometers in Vienna

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/12/toyota-prius-hybrid-taxi-clocks-1.html

Hybrid batteries getting more and more reliable and affordable. If the battery is faulty, individual cells can be diagnosed and replaced.

Like you replace used parts of your normal gasoline vehicle this will become just another part replacement in the future.

Does Toy*ta Lanka do this "individual cell replacement?"

No matter what each of you says, Hybrid and Electric cars are the future. Someday you guys have to accept this no matter how bitter that is going to be. No one cannot change the trend of SL buyers going for Hybrid vehicles. Fuel cost will rise with introduction of new Octane levels from next year. And the trend towards Hybrids will get accelerated.

We accept hybrid & electric cars alright. What are you trying to prove?

We are frustrated, that people like you think they are being revolutionary by stating the bloody obvious. I hope you didn't strain your crystal ball trying to figure out that people (like you) are cheap and want cheap transportation. We already know this. But here is the thing. We don't give a rats arse. Thats not what we want.

You see, we actually follow the subject of cars, we knew about hybrids before it was introduced to people like you by government tax breaks, thats why people come here to ask us questions. Because we already know the things you seem to think are you so clever to discover only now. We know, and we just don't care.

Amen to this reply from Peri!

No one "hates" hybrid technology dude. Just that it has not surpassed what the conventional cars can still do pretty damn well. And I'm talking about the mainstream hybrids against the mainstream gasoline cars.

Just want to add;

I guess that what we hate are the people who buys a Hybrid and drives 30kmph right in the middle of the road to 'save fuel'. :sport-smiley-005:

Come on Shanaka, you can do better than this. You had so much Hate + frustration those days. Show it up .. :sport-smiley-004:

:punish: oh you didn't.

You poor fool, Chams all you did was expose yourself! :violent-smiley-100:

You could use learning some forum etiquette first!

Edited by isam