• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

11 Reasons Why Hybrid Cars Are Better Than You Think

chams

Pretty shiity way to respond to a Hybrid lover.. ;)

It's normal for a person like Komisiripala who studied outside of sri lanka to act like this, they don't know values of sri lankan people and culture. Insulting and acting like idiots wasting money. Probably insulting is one of the subjects he has studied. I can see Komisiripala has studied quite a well on that... well done .. everyone must be proud of Komisiripala including state of PA.

It's normal for a person like Komisiripala who studied outside of sri lanka to act like this, they don't know values of sri lankan people and culture. Insulting and acting like idiots wasting money. Probably insulting is one of the subjects he has studied. I can see Komisiripala has studied quite a well on that... well done .. everyone must be proud of Komisiripala including state of PA.

You, my friend, wouldn't know a good insult if one came and f**ked you in your bunghole... :) Go cry at Ela Kiri.com pls.

• Like 1

What's the state of PA? Pennsylvania? I don't get it.

And yes, you're spot on about me. I don't know jack about you under privileged, goday, local sons of vatti-ammas. Nor do I give a rats ass

How is this relevant to hybrids?

It is a very sensitive relationship:

If you studied here, your option could have been a hybrid (not an Integ).

“Ethakota uba desha-premiyak wenawa”

Follow the Local MOs,Buy a hybrid and be a patriot.

Machan chams, mama hari neda?

• Like 1

So he served in war torn areas just for the kicks I guess, you know like those 'Suddah' fellows who always go in search of adventures...

• Like 1

Squatting for long is bad for the knees. But it helps to do your job faster and you don't have to put undue strain on your pelvic diaphragm. Helps to avoid haemorrhoids. Apropos it's bad to sit for hours on the throne and read while pooping for same reason
dostara mahaththayo, the lecture about the sh*t was way intersting than the original topic... ;)

So back on the topic, I do not think squatting is that bad. If you read the section on sexual dysfunction in the article http://naturesplatform.com/health_benefits.html, you would always be squatting! :mosking:

Edited by Rumesh88

Hybrids are just an intermediate technology - really do not understand all this glorification. Thats like some one long long time ago in baranesnuwara, writing "11 reasons why a papyrus is better than stone for writing".... :)

Edited by liya

Is this a hybrid owner 'thing' to have to prove themselves to gas burners? True that we love to hate 'em but if you bought one and like it, good on you...you shouldn't have to give a shit about what other people think. It's your car, you like it so enjoy it. It certainly is better than questioning someone's patriotism and getting your panties in a bunch.

Machan Chams, any opinion on anything is bound to have opposing ideas anywhere. Don't take it so personally. Chill, brush it off and stick around to help out another hybrid owner around here maybe.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a CRZ myself, if that means anything ;)

3. Hybrids Require Less Maintenance

When your engine is only running half of the time, your car will require fewer oil changes.

1. This part above might not be practical and not true. For example normally let’s say the oil change is needed every 5000kms and we go to the service station to change the oil. This creates a problem because lets say engine is running less the time than conventional vehicle, there is no measurement or an indication here when the oil change is needed other than how much miles/kilometers you have traveled. :sad-smiley-066:

2. I also have doubts about Engine running half the time . If the car is moving most of the time the engine is running proportionally with the amount of remaining battery - in Prius. And other technologies like Honda has , always the engine is running :)

11 Reasons Why Hybrid Cars Are Better Than You Think
Note: I have not altered the below article. Hence it may contain details of other countries.

When hybrid cars first came to our shores in 2001, they were an odd curiosity. In the intervening years, most Americans seem to have made up their mind regarding this new type of vehicle. Hybrid owners love their cars while drivers of traditional vehicles have reached their own conclusions, based largely on some erroneous assumptions.

Here are nine reasons why a hybrid car is better than you think it is.

1. Hybrids Are Not Slow

Many people conclude that the additional gas mileage offered by hybrids are not worth the cost of driving the slowest car on the road. In fact, hybrids are faster than you might think for an obvious reason – hybrid cars have multiple engines. In addition to the conventional gasoline engine, hybrids contain 1-3 electric motors that provide a little more horsepower and a lot more torque. Some models, like the Prius, use a smaller gasoline engine than similarly sized cars, but other hybrids simply add an electric motor to the standard engine which results in a faster combination than the non-hybrid version.

2. Hybrid Efficiency Is Not Just About The Car, It Is Also About The Driver

It is possible to drive a hybrid just like any other car, but your fuel economy will suffer. Hybrids want to be driven in a different manner in order to take advantage of all of the inherent efficiencies of their drive-trains. To help drivers get the most miles per gallon, most hybrids include some sort of feedback system that lets drivers know how the car is operating. For example, drivers learn when their car is in electric only mode, when the gas engine is running, and when they are generating energy from braking.

3. Hybrids Require Less Maintenance

When your engine is only running half of the time, your car will require fewer oil changes. Additionally, since a hybrid uses generators to decelerate while charging its battery, it will use its friction brakes far less often. The result is a car that will drive more miles before needing brake service.

4. Hybrid Batteries Will Outlast The Car

The most common concern that most drivers have with the concept of a hybrid is that they have an expensive battery that will need to be replaced. It is true that a hybrid’s batteries make up a substantial portion of the additional cost, but concerns that the battery will be unreliable are unfounded. In fact, Consumer Reports tested a 10 year old Prius and compared its performance to the same model when it was tested as new. They concluded that the 10 year old car with 200,000 miles performed identically to when it was tested as new. Furthermore, cities that have used hybrids as taxis found that their batteries were also working fine when the vehicles were retired as planned after 250,000 miles.

5. Hybrids Climb Well

It is torque, not horsepower that enables a car to climb a steep hill, and the electric motors in hybrid cars specialize in producing it. Additionally, hybrids often feature continuously variable transmissions that allow the engine to operate at the optimal number of revolutions per minute (RPMs) when climbing under full power. This is impossible with conventional transmissions that typically operate with four, five, or six speeds.

6. Hybrids Are Not Small

The original Toyota Prius and Honda Insight were subcompacts, although later models are classified as mid sized vehicles. Today, Toyota offers its seven passenger Highlander as a hybrid, and many full size American made SUVs and pickup trucks have hybrid drive-trains as an option.

7. Hybrids Are Incredibly Quiet

Starting a hybrid makes about as much commotion as turning on a lamp. When you take your foot off of the brake, a hybrid will begin to move so silently that passengers might think your car is rolling downhill. These cars are so quiet that owners sometimes forget to turn them off and safety advocates argue that they should artificially generate noise to warn pedestrians.

8. Hybrids Are Designed To Simulate A Conventional Car

The goal of hybrid designers seems to have been to ensure that the drivers of conventional vehicles could operate them without changing any of their habits. To that end, the electric motor will engage when the driver is not using the gas or the brakes, just like a conventional engine idling in a car with an automatic transmission. In order to simulate the engine drag, hybrids will apply a little regenerative braking when the driver is coasting without applying the brakes.

9. Hybrids Retain Their Value

Some analysts have downplayed the higher fuel economy offered by hybrids by comparing those savings to the increased purchase price of a new vehicle. This comparison neglects the reality that when sold, a used hybrid will command a higher price than a conventional car with lower fuel economy. In fact, the price premium will be even more pronounced every time there is a rise in gas prices. During these increasingly frequent price spikes, it is impossible to purchase a used hybrid for published “book” prices as there is far more demand than supply.

10. Hybrids Are Cleaner

Hybrid cars typically produce up to 80% less harmful pollutants and greenhouse gases than comparable gasoline cars. With fewer airborne pollutants and a cleaner Earth, you can’t go wrong.

11. Hybrids Come With Perks

Hybrid owners get to enjoy tax credits, preferred parking spaces, and in some states, even have the ability to drive solo in High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes.

Hybrids offer a new and exciting means of efficiently propelling your car, but there is so much more to them than high fuel economy. By understanding all of their advantages, drivers can make the best choice when it comes to purchasing a new vehicle.

Read more at http://www.lifed.com/11-reasons-why-hybrid-cars-are-better-than-you-think#VKpz6YQxczzYUmAS.99

:sarcastic_hand:

I guess someone who wants to use a hybrid needs no convincing. Just go and buy the car and use it! :prankster2:

Today also I was stuck in the traffic. Overtaking the long line of vehicles, guess what was at the forefront of it? yes, it was yet another Hybrid owner doing 30kmph in the middle of the road. :(

Don't understand what converts Hybrid drivers to do this! Can't be gas money, as hybrid cars are not cheap. :speechless-smiley-019:

Edited by isam
  • Like 1

So I am thinking ,we should all invest in a EMP generator... :) Set it off during serious traffic... (of course we will ensure to disconnect our car batteries and all)... would be interesting to see them Hybrids becoming expensive garden features... ;)

• Like 1

So I am thinking ,we should all invest in a EMP generator... :) Set it off during serious traffic... (of course we will ensure to disconnect our car batteries and all)... would be interesting to see them Hybrids becoming expensive garden features... ;)

:D I'd pay to see that done! as long as the EMP only affect the road-hogs! ;)

This road hogging is not an exclusive Hybrid issue. Car's like the Prius are quite big and some less than capable drivers seem to drive in the middle of the road thanks to their inability to deal with the size of the car or judge the size (possibly lack of visual perspective). Lady drivers seem to suffer from it more (even my ex had a bad habit of driving in the middle of 2 lane roads, and when I pointed it out I just got grief :))

Edited by The Don

Starting a hybrid makes about as much commotion as turning on a lamp. When you take your foot off of the brake, a hybrid will begin to move so silently that passengers might think your car is rolling downhill. These cars are so quiet that owners sometimes forget to turn them off and safety advocates argue that they should artificially generate noise to warn pedestrians.

Seriously? You think quieter cars are better?

From all I know we all petrol-heads love to hear a good engine note.

:to_pick_ones_nose3:

• Like 1

Seriously? You think quieter cars are better?

From all I know we all petrol-heads love to hear a good engine note.

:to_pick_ones_nose3:

Amen to that! As a former owner of a screaming Alfa 3.0 V6 i can vouch for the boner you get at high revs.. :)

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 3

That's cool...

I'm looking forward to see some hybrids fitted with the Cargills Ice cream siren

• Like 4