• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol Stations You Should Avoid

Niranjan de Silva

On a somewhat related note...I had the fuel tanks of two cars taken off and cleaned today(both 1950s manufactured vehicles).I do this on all the cars every five years or so.Last time I had this done in 2009 there was a bit of dust maybe a few bits of dirt and that was it at most...But this time around there was a quarter inch thick lining of gunk all around the tanks and it took a good hour of pressure washing at a service station to get rid of that grease.Funnily though the fuel filter was relatively clean but I think if we'd let anymore gunk to accumelate it would have blocked the fuel out pipe from the tank...FYI both cars are running 95 octane and had fuel pumped from both IOC and Ceypetco.

Just to clarify I cannot state correctly wether this was due to that one batch of fuel that affected us all a couple of years ago or if this was common occurrence.

So I can definitely echo the sentiments of people complaining of the dirty fuel being sold to us and if any one is still having problems with fuel supply and injection issues I can reccomend to have their fuel tanks cleaned as a last resort.

BTW we had the diesel tank cleaned of one of the lorries after 10 years of ownership....It was squeeky clean.

• Like 5

Adding something that I've observed at a fuel station (Ceypetco on Kotte road near Sri Naga Viharaya at Nugegoda) while I was checking the tyre pressure of my car one day: It was a week day morning and a worker was checking the fuel levels in their underground tanks. The guy had what looked like a long aluminum pole which he submerged in the tank to get to know the fuel level (just like checking the engine oil level with the dipstick). Before submerging the pole, he drew a line using chalk, from the bottom point of the pole towards the top. After he submerged the pole, he could read the fuel level by inspecting the point up to where the chalk had been erased by the fuel.

Obviously, a little amount of the while chalk powder was added to the underground fuel tank during the process, and if we assume they check the fuel levels twice a day, a huge amount of chalk can accumulate in the underground fuel tank over time. Plus, when the fuel tanker comes to fill up the tanks, the chalk should be getting stirred up well and probably ends up in a few fuel tanks as well.

I'm not sure if this is a common practice followed by every fuel station, but I have not been pumping from that particular fuel station since.

I stopped going to Pilawoos after one night of heavy drinking... went to the shitter inside and saw a guy washing cutting leeks and carrots next to the squatting pan... :) With a nice bread pudding (not mine) still fresh on it... ;) Sobered up pretty fast when reaiized that the batch was meant for our crowd... :)

Forgot why I went in there too. Walked home and peed... :)

Not been there since.

well thanks for letting us know will never site that place

Substandard fuel pumped from a Menikhinna - Kandy Petrol shed today. Also saw this in news today. The petrol samples taken from the shed looked like mud and water had mixed with it.

Investigations commence into substandard fuel

By Chrishanthi Christopher

A Ceylon Petroleum Corporation pumping station at Menikhinna is being investigated for pumping substandard petrol into vehicles, today.

It is learnt that around 18 vehicles that pumped petrol at this particular gas station has stalled.

CPC, Marketing Manager ChamindaSamarakoon told Ceylon Today that an investigation is going on and that samples of the petrol have been sent to the laboratory at the Sapugaskanda Oil Refinery. “If found guilty the franchise holder will face severe penalty,” he said.

He said that severe action will be taken against the owner of the outlet if proved guilty of contamination.

Samarakoon said that the facility to pay by cheque for all purchases was ceased from today, until further investigation.

He also said that if proven guilty the franchise holder will have to provide a bank guarantee of Rs.4.5 million in addition to a penalty of Rs.500,000.

Besides the owner will have to bear all repairs to the vehicles that got damaged from pumping fuel at this station, Samarakoon said.

Following complaints from the vehicle owners the filling station has been temporarily closed until such time investigations are completed.

Meanwhile, Jathika Sevaka Sangamaya, Secretary, Ananda Palitha said that nothing can be concluded till the test results are completed. (Ceylon Today Online)

http://www.ceylontoday.lk/16-49748-news-detail-investigations-commence-into-substandard-fuel.html

• 3 weeks later...
heard the same, no indication about the price. I think another eyewash for a price hike.
OT: Heard that all Ceypetco sheds will replace 90 octane with 92 octane from the 1st of January, no information about a price change.

Yes, Heard it too. Initially they are planning to give fuel at same price. i think that is to counter Euro3 issued by IOC some news sites says octane 90 not available in international market

http://www.colombopage.com/archive_13B/Nov04_1383546557JV.php

http://www.ft.lk/2013/11/05/cpc-to-import-92-octane-petrol/

Well the best thing is to get in to habit of having a several filling stations that you know by experience or through other's recommendations to get your vehicle filled regularly. Further, if you can try to find a near by station that is owned and controlled by armed forces. They carry out daily pump checks to see whether the pumps are pumping exactly the amount indicated. This is done by different people very day and documented. So there's very slim chance of being cheated.

Further, if u are planning on getting a full tank, just have a mega bottle with you where u have a marking on to indicate how much a 1 liter or 1.5 liter would be. Then ask the station to pump a liter to it first. Just say its for backupJ. If the amount is right get what ever amount u need. Otherwise complain.

I don’t know whether they can switch the calibration of the pump instantly, but if they can the bottle method wouldn’t work. Further,, I read a member has mentioned all stations much have those one liter and 5 liter containers with them to measure right, well most of the places have them, but not all, and some have rigged containers as well too…

Well the best thing is to get in to habit of having a several filling stations that you know by experience or through other's recommendations to get your vehicle filled regularly. Further, if you can try to find a near by station that is owned and controlled by armed forces. They carry out daily pump checks to see whether the pumps are pumping exactly the amount indicated. This is done by different people very day and documented. So there's very slim chance of being cheated.

Further, if u are planning on getting a full tank, just have a mega bottle with you where u have a marking on to indicate how much a 1 liter or 1.5 liter would be. Then ask the station to pump a liter to it first. Just say its for backupJ. If the amount is right get what ever amount u need. Otherwise complain.

I don’t know whether they can switch the calibration of the pump instantly, but if they can the bottle method wouldn’t work. Further,, I read a member has mentioned all stations much have those one liter and 5 liter containers with them to measure right, well most of the places have them, but not all, and some have rigged containers as well too…

You dont need to carry mega bottles. Every petrol stationhas a calbration measuring device.

Well I have noticed something strange recently about the quality of petrol

IOC (particularly the one near St. Bridget) - engine light comes very frequently

Ceypetco - engine light comes every now and then but much less than IOC

Laugfs - no engine light

Navy stations - no engine light

first i thought the engine light was due to some sensor issue and ITMC changed couple of sensors just to see the engine light coming up after a while. Then after a discussion with GTAm, i started to notice this happens only when i pump from the IOC whereas when i get the car from ITMC i pump from Laugfs Koswatte.

I pump only 95 and also seems to be getting better mileage from Laugfs and Navy

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Laugfs has opened a new Petrol Station opposite Arpico Dehiwela. About 10 pumps pumping Petrol (5 units). They have 3 individual pumps pumping 95 Octane. Super Diesel, Diesel and Kerosene are also available. There is Nitrogen and normal air available to inflate tires. Fully fledged Service Station run by Laugfs is also situated at the same premises. The Petrol Station is open 24 hours and the Laugfs Service Station is open from 7.00 A.M to 8.00 P.M.

Edited by Niranjan de Silva

Laugfs has opened a new Petrol Station opposite Arpico Dehiwela. About 10 pumps pumping Petrol (5 units). They have 3 individual pumps pumping 95 Octane. Super Diesel, Diesel and Kerosene are also available. There is Nitrogen and normal air available to inflate tires. Fully fledged Service Station run by Laugfs is also situated at the same premises. The Petrol Station is open 24 hours and the Laugfs Service Station is open from 7.00 A.M to 8.00 P.M.

Is that a advertisement ???? :speechless-smiley-004:

Edited by C Perera

Good. I am sick to my tits with automiraj and was waiting for this to open. The nerve of thoses bastards I tell you. Licked my anus clean when asking me to facilitate an offer for the doctors at Kalubowila. Didn't avail me the same discount when I went to service my car. When I reminded them who helped them set it up, they reduced 150/- off a 1500 bill (eligible discount was 50%)

The reasons? 1. I didn't bring a coupon 2. It's for a full service (a wash, vacuum, undercarriage wash, wax, engine bay cleanup is not a "full service". When asked, yet didn't specify what was)

Never went there again.

Edited by Komisiripala

Well, to see so many members in the area. Auto*iraj is a mirage. Their standards had gone down drastically the last time I went there. The guys working there are a real panditha set. There is a place called Auto Touch near the Dehiwela-Mount Lavinia Cemetery which is also a decent place which has reasonable rates. Laugf* are well stocked with oils, air filters, engine oil filters, wipers etc. Also they have premium quality products. They even got me down the Matic-J ATF I was looking for (will post soon on another thread). Furthermore the ATF change was done according to my specifications and they did not make a fuss about it saying that it is not their method. Also when you pump Petrol at the newly opened shed they will provide you with a automated receipt each time.

Well, to see so many members in the area. Auto*iraj is a mirage. Their standards had gone down drastically the last time I went there. The guys working there are a real panditha set. There is a place called Auto Touch near the Dehiwela-Mount Lavinia Cemetery which is also a decent place which has reasonable rates. Laugf* are well stocked with oils, air filters, engine oil filters, wipers etc. Also they have premium quality products. They even got me down the Matic-J ATF I was looking for (will post soon on another thread). Furthermore the ATF change was done according to my specifications and they did not make a fuss about it saying that it is not their method. Also when you pump Petrol at the newly opened shed they will provide you with a automated receipt each time.

I use auto touch all the time too. Tho I have a concern about them using that silicon squeegee on the cars to get the water off. Don't like those things, too easy to catch some grit and scrape the car.