• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol Stations You Should Avoid

Niranjan de Silva

I use auto touch all the time too. Tho I have a concern about them using that silicon squeegee on the cars to get the water off. Don't like those things, too easy to catch some grit and scrape the car.

back in the states my car got scratched by those squeegee things..I had a 500$ beater at that time so didn't care a #$%#. Then I had a Camry (I know I know...but it was a V6 with a 5M/T and TRD suspension one of 5000 made by Toyota) so got one of those fancy squeegee things for like 25$ and other dedicated car washing stuff...but then I noticed it left a lot swirl marks...okay..they weren't squirly but straight lines..but the marks were similar

Well Auto Touch is good. The guy in charge of that place is also friendly. Still as all businesses go there is a catch somewhere. A Wash/Vacuum and Wax of a car cost 750bucks. They claim to use the 3M wax(Paste). Although they use the wax in 3M containers I believe that they do not use 3M. They fill these containers discreetly and goes to a place where they have it stored in bulk in their office to fill such. The paste is green in color, very different from the color of the original 3M Wax. Anyhow I asked the guy in charge whether he uses 3M and he said that it was so. I did not go to confront him after that. Still all in all a good place where the guys who washes the vehicles are very humble and friendly. Can get anything done according to your specifiations. Withregards to the squeegee I am surprised. It seems harmless. I actually haven't put much attention as to how that step happens in real time. Since it has been pointed out as a matter of concern will have to keep a close eye the next time.

Hi,

What is the deal with Euro-3 petrol fuel which is available at IOC? I believe that's Octane 93.

Between IOC Octane 95 and Euro 3, which is less harmful to engines?

This question was asked previously in this thread http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13513-what-is-the-different-between-euro3-and-95-octane/ , but I asked here again to see if there is a better answer.

• 9 months later...

I think I should share my experience here. I use an android mobile application called "My Cars" and used to record the fuel and other bills on it. Fuel bills are updated together with the odometer reading, so that the app will give me the calculated fuel efficiency. My car also has a display together with trip meter indicating the kmpl on the perticuler trip.

I always used to pump Euro3; full tank when my car's fuel indicator is at 2 and as a discipline I used to get down the car and make sure it is topped up full.

Every time i pump fuel (full tank always) i reset the trip meter in my car so that I can see the kmpl on display. the computed fuel efficiency will be around 0.5 - 1 kmpl more than what is indicated in the car display.

Recently (on 19/10/14) I pumped fuel at the IOC station in the Warakapola town, once I updated my app, it showed the computed efficiency about 1kmpl less than what is indicated. Since I have got an engine tune up also done a week back I thought it may be due to that.

next time (03/11/14) I pumped fuel at a different place, as usual computed kmpl was higher than what was indicated on the display..

on 9/11/14 I again visited the Warakapola IOC on my way to Colombo. Upon computing the fuel cost this time, I found the computed eff is less than the kmpl indicated in the display, this time it is 10% less than what was indicated on the display.

I think there has to be some issue with the fuel pump, either tempered or malfunctioning.

I'm thinking of going to that place again to check it out. keep you posted if I get to re-verify the above finding.

Edited by tinyman
  • Like 3

I think I should share my experience here. I use an android mobile application called "My Cars" and used to record the fuel and other bills on it. Fuel bills are updated together with the odometer reading, so that the app will give me the calculated fuel efficiency. My car also has a display together with trip meter indicating the kmpl on the perticuler trip.

I always used to pump Euro3; full tank when my car's fuel indicator is at 2 and as a discipline I used to get down the car and make sure it is topped up full.

Every time i pump fuel (full tank always) i reset the trip meter in my car so that I can see the kmpl on display. the computed fuel efficiency will be around 0.5 - 1 kmpl more than what is indicated in the car display.

Recently (on 19/10/14) I pumped fuel at the IOC station in the Warakapola town, once I updated my app, it showed the computed efficiency about 1kmpl less than what is indicated. Since I have got an engine tune up also done a week back I thought it may be due to that.

next time (03/11/14) I pumped fuel at a different place, as usual computed kmpl was higher than what was indicated on the display..

on 9/11/14 I again visited the Warakapola IOC on my way to Colombo. Upon computing the fuel cost this time, I found the computed eff is less than the kmpl indicated in the display, this time it is 10% less than what was indicated on the display.

I think there has to be some issue with the fuel pump, either tempered or malfunctioning.

I'm thinking of going to that place again to check it out. keep you posted if I get to re-verify the above finding.

This is what happens when people rely too much on technology and too little on plain old-fashioned common sense. Their brain cells get fried and they try to fry others' brain cells as well.

• Like 2

This is what happens when people rely too much on technology and too little on plain old-fashioned common sense. Their brain cells get fried and they try to fry others' brain cells as well.

Do you meant to say that it is wrong to compute and compare the fuel efficiency or something else.

I thought keeping records and observing the figures has helped me to find out the discrepancy, which I should share with others also. As it may help people to avoid such places.

Sorry if I have misused the forum.

• Like 5

When you do a tune-up (which should include an ECU reset), initially the trip computer (not the trip meter) will act weird until it becomes stable. For example, it may indicate crazy figures like 25km/litre a while after a tune up so don't bother looking at it. In fact, trip computers are the second most useless thing invented by car manufacturers.

My second question is do you really need an 'android mobile app' to divide 256km by 16.25 litres (substitute whatever numbers you got)...

Edited by Crosswind

When you do a tune-up (which should include an ECU reset), initially the trip computer (not the trip meter) will act weird until it becomes stable. For example, it may indicate crazy figures like 25km/litre a while after a tune up so don't bother looking at it. In fact, trip computers are the second most useless thing invented by car manufacturers.

My second question is do you really need an 'android mobile app' to divide 256km by 16.25 litres (substitute whatever numbers you got)...

Actually I do this too. I use something called Car Expenses. it helps me keep track of all costs including fuel costs with the car and helps manage my finances. And if you are doing this solely for calculating fuel efficiency, it would still be more convenient than writing it on a paper and keeping records.

• Like 2

You guys really need to start living a bit... :)

Come on, really? You sit down and go through the number of liters pumped and number of kilometers run?

Do you guys measure your food and measure your poop also to see what was the total consumption like?

I am more worried about hitting another car/person/animal, or vice versa than worry about how much fuel is being burnt.

• Like 5

You guys really need to start living a bit... :)

Come on, really? You sit down and go through the number of liters pumped and number of kilometers run?

Do you guys measure your food and measure your poop also to see what was the total consumption like?

I am more worried about hitting another car/person/animal, or vice versa than worry about how much fuel is being burnt.

Deleted

Edited by tinyman

I have pumped from that station a couple of times because I used to travel to Polgahawela frequently, but I haven't seen a noticeable drop. Probably because I travel during the weekend and because I take the Pasyala - Hanwella road which is traffic free and fun to drive over the Kandy Road. :)

Not so, but you know I being a newbie, should respect the seniors. isn't it. :)

Nothing like that with me... you can take your swings... :) I normally don't care if you are a newbie or an oldie... I don't discriminate like that :)

Freedom of speech.

Edited by VVTi

tinyman,

Since your post says you travel from Warakapola to Colombo in one day, and not many details about other days which to check the fuel figures, it would be better if you could update following points as well.

In all 3 instances

1. did you travel the same trip (Warakapola to colombo)

2. Was there the same number of occupants in the car

3. Was the traffic condition the same

4. Was the driving pattern the same (Aggressive,regular or Prius)

5. A/C on or off

Nowadays i travel mostly in colombo during morning & evening rush hours. in some days i spend 1 hour to travel 10kms and some days 30 minutes. In some worst days it takes about 1& half hours (thanks to student rallies and heavy rains). So if there's a day or two in a week with worst traffic, my fuel consumption figures change drastically when considered with a week with regular traffic conditions (Although i traveled the same distance up & down throughout the week). Same happens when you have four occupants in the car instead of only you. It doent mean that the fuel station cheated you but the car burnt fuel according to the driving conditions it was driven.

By saying this i'm not telling that there are no fuel stations that cheat you. There definitely are stations that should avoid. I believe by providing above requested information, you could give the reader a clearer picture of what exactly happening.

Cheers!

Edited by trinity

Try to avoid Narahenpita Petrol Shed (next to Apollo/Lanka Hospitals). I have first hand experience in one incident where the credit card was charged twice (within a few seconds). Another where the meter was reset before my wife was able to see the final reading, and a third where she was quite sure the meter was not reset before starting to pump. The credit card incident was sorted amicably, buy I have a strong fishy feeling they may be doing it regularly. Please do watch out.

Edited by meshlk

Actually I do this too. I use something called Car Expenses. it helps me keep track of all costs including fuel costs with the car and helps manage my finances. And if you are doing this solely for calculating fuel efficiency, it would still be more convenient than writing it on a paper and keeping records.

I also use an app called aCar to keep car expenses. An added benefit is it can remind about maintenance tasks like service, wheel alignment etc.

In fact, trip computers are the second most useless thing invented by car manufacturers.

What is the most useless thing Crosswind? Climate control ? :sleeping-smiley-001:

Try to avoid Narahenpita Petrol Shed (next to Apollo/Lanka Hospitals). I have first hand experience in one incident where the credit card was charged twice (within a few seconds). Another where the meter was reset before my wife was able to see the final reading, and a third where she was quite sure the meter was not reset before starting to pump. The credit card incident was sorted amicably, buy I have a strong fishy feeling they may be doing it regularly. Please do watch out.
Well if you have two payments in close proximity for the same value can't you talk to the bank and sort it out? Such mistakes happen all the time. Also if you have a credit card with s.m.s. alerts you will be notified instantaniously. I normally pump petrol by cash at hand. Some of the Petrol Pump operators who are waiting for a chance to cheat you wants to hurry the process and the best thing is to get out of the car and look at your wallet to give the impression that you are making a decision as to how much of petrol you are going to put in. In the meantime you can position your self in front of the pump to have a clear view of the meter so as to see what is happening. Although payment by credit card is good if you want to know how much of money you spent on petrol per month subject to the condition that you pump petrol only by such credit card.

About your wife's story it is hearsay. Forgive me for saying this but women and pumping petrol don't go hand in hand. I have on a crude recollection never seen a woman getting out of the vehicle when pumping petrol. They will be very busy talking to a guy or gal on the phone, doing their make up and seeing whether their hair is all prim and proper, or just being generally lazy and just sitting inside their vehicle etc.

Edited by Niranjan de Silva

Holly shit, some people will need an app to remind about when to eat and when to poop in the near future.

Well I cant believe how many people here have their testicles on fire when it comes to app usage. Personally speaking, I'd use an app to keep track of things i tend to forget if it's convenient. By your logic, if you skip a meal or forget to poop, you will get a signal from the body either by means of hunger or an urge to cr@p. Since i dont get such native reminders about vehicle maintenance I find it convenient to store the last gearbox oil change mileage recorded somewhere (in this case in an app) so I dont forget it. What is wrong with that?

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 3

Well I cant believe how many people here have their testicles on fire when it comes to app usage. Personally speaking, I'd use an app to keep track of things i tend to forget if it's convenient. By your logic, if you skip a meal or forget to poop, you will get a signal from the body either by means of hunger or an urge to cr@p. Since i dont get such native reminders about vehicle maintenance I find it convenient to store the last gearbox oil change mileage recorded somewhere (in this case in an app) so I dont forget it. What is wrong with that?

In fact there is something wrong in trading off the cognitive capacity of your brain with an app. (You may refer to the research papers like London Taxi Drivers and Bus Drivers: a Structural MRI and Neuropsychological Analysis by Maguire et al.). At times I wonder whether our lifestyle is at the point of diminishing returns.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 2

Quantified self mate. People are keeping track of every damn thing possible and Gen Y is more receptive to this than any other generation before. It might mean only a little to the person tracking things but the collective data (big data) is big money when it comes to understanding product usage and marketing.

I personally feel that our cars are not sufficiently talking to us with enough long term data (they sure have the capability to sense, store and process them) so that we as consumers can make more educated decisions about usage, maintenance and repair.

IMHO, It's not just about being a lazy ass to keep tab of when and how much you pumped fuel - it's the wasted ability for the car to inform us in detail about fuel consumption habits and trends. Hopefully we'll get there.

On Rumesh's point - our lifestyles are indeed at a turnpoint and we will lose certain cognitive and processing capacities as we depend more and more on AI, but it will certainly not be diminishing returns; because our perceived return would be higher for less effort.

Edited by vishkid

tinyman,

Since your post says you travel from Warakapola to Colombo in one day, and not many details about other days which to check the fuel figures, it would be better if you could update following points as well.

In all 3 instances

1. did you travel the same trip (Warakapola to colombo)

2. Was there the same number of occupants in the car

3. Was the traffic condition the same

4. Was the driving pattern the same (Aggressive,regular or Prius)

5. A/C on or off

Nowadays i travel mostly in colombo during morning & evening rush hours. in some days i spend 1 hour to travel 10kms and some days 30 minutes. In some worst days it takes about 1& half hours (thanks to student rallies and heavy rains). So if there's a day or two in a week with worst traffic, my fuel consumption figures change drastically when considered with a week with regular traffic conditions (Although i traveled the same distance up & down throughout the week). Same happens when you have four occupants in the car instead of only you. It doent mean that the fuel station cheated you but the car burnt fuel according to the driving conditions it was driven.

By saying this i'm not telling that there are no fuel stations that cheat you. There definitely are stations that should avoid. I believe by providing above requested information, you could give the reader a clearer picture of what exactly happening.

Cheers!

I usually travel to Kandy during weekends, both instances I mentioned here I had two occupants and I was on way back to Colombo on Sunday night around 9pm. A/C also on full time. I stick to regular driving + occasional speeding.

I do understand the fact that the consumption may vary due to various factors, but my observation is that irrespective of higher or lower fuel consumption figures that my car display indicates is less than the computed number.

Only on these two instances the computed efficiency was less than the kmpl indicated in the display. Like you said it may be totally due to some other facts, but good to be vigilant, isn't it.

Looks like AL members have defined a new mode or driving,

"4. Was the driving pattern the same (Aggressive,regular or Prius)" :)

you guys should wage war against priuschat .com which has a thread called 500miles club (those who completed 500miles/800km on one full tank of fuel post the picture of the trip meter)