• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri (The Second)

similarnames

Yes yes so he told me. I was with him last evening. Watched a movie and knocked back a few. We're all rooting for your project mate. And im sure vvti was glad to have helped. that's what Autolanka is all about! Also, I've noticed your yellow glanza around. But with a girl. Always wondered which lady doc had a banana yellow glanza!

Thats my Wife's car, that actually belongs to her...i borrowed it from her today to go to work.

and Komi i mentioned your name to Vvti, n he said that you were there yesterday,

VVti.. Its a real pleasure knowing you mate , will return the rims in the evening :)

You lot make me regret not being in Colombo!

Machan, I'm guessing you pleaced the order via Kapruka? If so, be warned that they seem to be a bit uncoordinated and difficult to get a clear answer from. They told me that mine will be in SL by the first week of Jan but when inquired in Jan, they pushed it back by another month.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a pause got down these stuff from ebay. 1JZ-GTE VVti comes with a MAF instead of a MAP sensor. There was an Asian seller who sold the MAF for approx. 100$ !

A turbo timer !!.. I Guess its little too early to get down that ! But could not miss the cheap ebay listing.

Going to install them after i am done with the wiring.

Placed an order for a front mounted intercooler at Kapxxka shop.

Throttle body had a small dent - got repaired at Edxxxxxghe's. BTW the car is being prepped for engine installation. Will update the car pics soon.

post-55914-0-14020700-1393236668_thumb.j

post-55914-0-85770900-1393237106_thumb.j

Edited by similarnames

Awesome! What sort of radiator are you planning on running? Do you have enough space for a FMIC or will you have to go top mount?

I've heard conflicting ideas about turbo timers but don't know what to make of it. Are you replacing any other parts of the intake like blow off valve? Imagine the thing hissing down the road :D

Bro what you meant was a (water) radiator right ?

I got a 3 core Crown Majesta radiator down along with the motor. I think it is an aftermarket product. Ordered an FMIC assuming it will benefit more to the motor. and You are right about space limitation. What i did was, replaced entire front stock reinforcement metal sheets of the car with a new H iron frame. My tinker assured the stability of the custom frame. The GOD only knows what would happen if i crash into a tree !! :speechless-smiley-019: . Will see machan. THe only predictable thing about this project is its unpredictability.

BTW are you going to make a POWER HUMP on the hood ???

I got a 3 core Crown Majesta radiator down along with the motor. I think it is an aftermarket product. Ordered an FMIC assuming it will benefit more to the motor. and You are right about space limitation. What i did was, replaced entire front stock reinforcement metal sheets of the car with a new H iron frame. My tinker assured the stability of the custom frame. The GOD only knows what would happen if i crash into a tree !! :speechless-smiley-019: . Will see machan. THe only predictable thing about this project is its unpredictability.

Yeah bro, meant the radiator first and the Intercooler second. I couldn't imagine having them stacked in front of each other. Especially with the shape of the lower part of the face curving up.

I'm also not sure how to select a suitable readiator. The 2.8i radiator the guys found in UK were too fargone so they left it there. Have to look it up to figre out what I need.

The custom frame sounds interesting. Do you have any pics of it? You must be having one hell of an engine compartment by now huh? :D

About the power hump, sadly my car has the flat hood unlike the 2.0 and above(?) But I'm hoping not to cut it. I'd love to trade it for one with the hump but I'm not sure about the chances of that happening. I will only cut into the existing hood if it becomes an absolute necssity after the engine goes in and if I have clearence issues.

hmmm reckon it's worth welding in a solid roll cage for good measure?

• Like 1

Dude,

I might abandon the stock (Crown) radiator due to the SIZE issue. I am too in doldrums figuring out what radiator to install. Tried several angles and i may put it oblique. Btw..i ve seen POWER HUMPS of different shapes on different Capri models. Donno they were originals or custom fabrications. My tinker made one few weeks ago and it was horrible !!

Dude,

I might abandon the stock (Crown) radiator due to the SIZE issue. I am too in doldrums figuring out what radiator to install. Tried several angles and i may put it oblique. Btw..i ve seen POWER HUMPS of different shapes on different Capri models. Donno they were originals or custom fabrications. My tinker made one few weeks ago and it was horrible !!

Maybe you should measure up the space and get a radiator Custom built? Browns does some good work with their RADCO brand, had one made for my hilux a couple of months back and am quite happy with it. Alternatively you could look at an aluminium radiator from one of the performance parts guys like D&D or Narmi

Maybe you should measure up the space and get a radiator Custom built? Browns does some good work with their RADCO brand, had one made for my hilux a couple of months back and am quite happy with it. Alternatively you could look at an aluminium radiator from one of the performance parts guys like D&D or Narmi

Supra, I'm gonna ask a probably stupid question. What should one look for while shopping for a radiator? be it to custom build or to buy aftermarket. As the engine needs to run at a particular temperature, I reckon the radiator shouldn't cool it down too much or let it overheat. So, what should be looked at, number of cores, dimensions etc to ensure the right fit?

PS: If you feel that this post is better suited in VVTi's thread about thermostats, please be kind enough to move this.

Supra, I'm gonna ask a probably stupid question. What should one look for while shopping for a radiator? be it to custom build or to buy aftermarket. As the engine needs to run at a particular temperature, I reckon the radiator shouldn't cool it down too much or let it overheat. So, what should be looked at, number of cores, dimensions etc to ensure the right fit?

PS: If you feel that this post is better suited in VVTi's thread about thermostats, please be kind enough to move this.

yeah, maybe the mods might move this to the thermostat thread.but none the less it's actually a good topic...

I'm sure the manufacturer's decide on the radiator size thats ideal for the vehicle/engine/climate combination. But it would be interesting to know the actual metrics they use to determine this.

Just to share some of my limited knowledge, in case of most current FWD vehicles where the engine is transverse, the electric fan (presumably controlled by the thermostat) will kick in whenever the natural blowing is insufficient. And it will cut off then stop when it's come down to the ideal heat range. And in cases where the engine is longitudinal, the fan is directly driven by the engine via belt with a sort of a wet-clutch which is temp sensitive. (but that's a different story). So in short the fan will kick in and prevent over-heating, and then it will switch off and keep it from over-cooling.

yeah, maybe the mods might move this to the thermostat thread.but none the less it's actually a good topic...

I'm sure the manufacturer's decide on the radiator size thats ideal for the vehicle/engine/climate combination. But it would be interesting to know the actual metrics they use to determine this.

Just to share some of my limited knowledge, in case of most current FWD vehicles where the engine is transverse, the electric fan (presumably controlled by the thermostat) will kick in whenever the natural blowing is insufficient. And it will cut off then stop when it's come down to the ideal heat range. And in cases where the engine is longitudinal, the fan is directly driven by the engine via belt with a sort of a wet-clutch which is temp sensitive. (but that's a different story). So in short the fan will kick in and prevent over-heating, and then it will switch off and keep it from over-cooling.

Yes machan, but the issues I have in mind are these;

1. If the Radiator is too small, the fan will work more frequently. In a worse case scenario, the fan might not be enough to cool it down and cause the engine to overheat.

2. If the Radiator is too large, the engine will take longer to reach operating temperature.

Yes machan, but the issues I have in mind are these;

1. If the Radiator is too small, the fan will work more frequently. In a worse case scenario, the fan might not be enough to cool it down and cause the engine to overheat.

2. If the Radiator is too large, the engine will take longer to reach operating temperature.

My explanation was more in the line of OEM radiators' functionality where the radiator size matches the vehicle.

And yeah I get what you mean, in projects like this you probably DO need to know the parameters for deciding a radiator. But I would think that the rule of thumb would be to match the actual surace area.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

This is a very small update of the work progress..

Tinkering job is over when i last visited the garage.. i am bringing the lady home to slot the motor..

Btw, the motor had few issues to get fixed..

1. V belt

2. Adjustor pulley

3. Cracked intake pipe of throttle body

It had a crack from the inlet to 5cm along the intake pipe. I needed a aluminum welder to weld but none wanted to take responsibility to dismantle the whole thing before welding and put everything back together. I too worried to manipulate the mechanism much cz of the timing wheel in the throttle body.

Finally could not weld the thing.. but made a new attachment from bronze. I found a sensible guy in Maharagama (part time mechanic) who did an excellent job.

See pics of the work..

2014-04-20170332_zpsa8ddfa62.jpg2014-04-20170316_zps7b8b1d54.jpg

post-55914-0-71149500-1398021122_thumb.j

post-55914-0-20526900-1398021195_thumb.j

Edited by similarnames