• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

(Decided) What To Buy - Opinions Appreciated

Supra_Natural

What to Buy?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. You suggest....

• Grand Vitara
    • X1
    • Mazda 6
    • Premio
    • Prius
    • Vesi
    • Kias
    • C Class
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Question

I've already had this chat with some of you chaps offline but I figured I would throw the question open to the AL hive mind as well and see what comes up.

After a solid 4 years of reliable service it's time to bid adios to our much loved Civic FD4. Total budget for a replacement is an absolute maximum of 5.6 Million and it will be used as a daily driver by the household (driven by a driver mostly) which means it will basically be in town traffic a lot and endure lots of stop starts and such.

The major priority to be honest is a car that will be pretty reliable with minimal unexpected problems cropping up I don't mind figuring out how to fix a car and getting it done but this can't be a rolling project as my hands are full enough with those :) . So something made within the last 4 years or so is where the focus lies as the .

Fuel economy is not a major concern but it can't be on a level that will cause thel hingannas to have coronaries either as I already have something in the stable that does that part quite well. So something that does around 7-8 in town is all right. Oh yeah, needs to be automatic as well and it would be a bonus if it is at least somewhat fun to drive (this is not essential though). Saloons or SUV/Crossovers preferred and I want something that has side and curtain airbags and all modern safety kit ideally.

Will look to keep it for four years or so and it would be nice if it retains some value at the end of that.

So now you have the background, let's meet the contenders.

2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 5.56 Million brand new ex stock at the agents.

Pros - 4 year/80K warranty, it's brand new, these are rugged and fairly solid trucks

Cons - Model is ancient/being replaced this year, 4WD not available, only two airbags, bit of a truck really, likely to depreciate heavily.

2011 BMW X1 S Drive 18i petrol - Approx 5 mill from BMW pre-owned. 41k on the clock - One specific vehicle in this case

Pros - Nice to drive, much better kit list than the average X1, versatile, basic N4x series petrol engine said to be better long term than the diesels, all the safety kit.

Cons - Inspection report highlighted quite a lot of repairs needed included a leaking power steering, owner has agreed to cover the cost of getting it done at the agents but I feel that is likely to be only the start.

2013 Mazda 6 2.0 - Going rate seems to be the 5.5 million range.

Pros - Looks good, comfy, fun to drive, surprisingly economical, should be reliable, will have about 1 year of agents warranty left.

Cons - Hard to find as owners hang on to them - there are only two cars on the market right now and owners are both doctors so they are being very stubborn on their price (5.7 and 5.8 in both cases - since their is a transfer tax i need to take that into account), Not 100% sure about the long term reliability of the SkyActiv tech.

2013 Toyota Premio - 5-5.5 Mill

Pros - Probably will be trouble free over the four years, comfy, economical, will be worth something when it's time to sell, surprisingly OK drive, simple to maintain.

Cons - Not exactly an exciting choice, Model will be replaced soon, Weirdly old tech in some areas (Like rear drum brakes)

2010 Mercedes Benz C Class - 5.5-6 Mill

Pros - Seems to be back to old school form for Merc in terms of quality, decent drive, comfortable, solid.

Cons - Not sure how it will hold up over the next 4 years, Going prices are somewhat higher than budget.

2014 Toyota Prius - Prices vary but there seem to be unreg choices in the 5-5.5 range

Pros - It's a Prius

Cons - It's a Prius

Annd the final choice (the one I would really rather avoid)

2013/2014 Honda Vesi Vezel - Seem to be available between 5 and 5.5

Pros - It's actually an fairly ok little crossover, nice interior, quite economical

Cons - It's a Vezel.

So there you have it, those are what I've looked at, let me know what you think and any other options I may have missed.

Cheers

Edited by Supra_Natural

I hope you ran the car on to his rear and shoved his shoe up his a$$

lol !! Talk about road rage!

Everybody: if you collide with a Ford Focus, Kia Cerato or Mazda Familia; make sure to treat the dude with kid gloves for fear of getting arse raped over a fender bender!!

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 2

More importantly I hope his insurance pays for your car to be repaired at Colonial to Factory original condition.

That would entail the lengthy process of going to court :(

If by some stroke of luck they have a policy from the same insurance company then you can expect a hassle free settlement

If by some stroke of luck they have a policy from the same insurance company then you can expect a hassle free settlement

Or call Crosswind and his 4'' x 4' for an easy hassle free settlement. (Provided of course that you didn't crash into him!)

Disclaimer: I'm kidding. I'm sure Crosswind is a nice chap, who doesn't walk around with a 4'' x 4' or habitually kicks people in the arse...(well one hopes at least! :P)

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Or call Crosswind and his 4'' x 4' for an easy hassle free settlement. (Provided of course that you didn't crash into him!)

Disclaimer: I'm kidding. I'm sure Crosswind is a nice chap, who doesn't walk around with a 4'' x 4' or habitually kicks people in the arse...(well one hopes at least! :P)

Nah I don't walk around with a 4" x 4' habitually :)

Just this one...

vel_01new10.jpg

• Like 4

lol ! >? Oookay! Seriously what colours are the aforementioned Ford Focus, Kia Cerato & Mazda Familia !!

Blue, red and white.

I usually drive the white one (wearing the white sarong and the white short-sleeved shirt of course)

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

If Crosswind actually carries a 4"x4' with him I have much respect for him... with a hand that big, he may never get lonely... :)

• Like 1

lol !! Talk about road rage!

Everybody: if you collide with a Ford Focus, Kia Cerato or Mazda Familia; make sure to treat the dude with kid gloves for fear of getting arse raped over a fender bender!!

He he he he he he.... I know of someone who thought just like that and a Fender Bender and the resulting altercation ended up with him being charged for assault and small stay in Welikada. The aggrieved party actually went full throttle to get him charged with grievous bodily harm but sanity prevailed and the lawyers came to a peaceful conclusion. Bugger had to say sorry and kiss and make up.

A bumper or a car is not worth a night in Welikada or any cop shop holding tank, machang.. trust me on that. Once you sleep next to a squatting pan sharing a cell with druggie suffering from explosive runs, no car on earth is worth it. Besides.. that arse rape you talk about.. you might get it yourself.

Grit your teeth, smile and just get the damn thing fixed. Shout at him all you want.. but do not lay a finger.

• Like 5

But isn't that in the best interests of your insurance company to claim from the other insurer if they are at fault?

I know there isn't any point comparing the UK but they sell special insurance to cover this eventuality called Motor legal protection.

Basically the process is

1. If the other party accepts blame, the claim is paid out by the other insurer

2. If blame is contested then it goes to court and motor legal protection will cover the legal costs of your insurer who will pursue the other insurer. But you don't have to wait to get your car repaired. While this goes on, your insurer will pay out and get you back on the road

Considering SL legal costs, and claim costs I think it makes sense for insurers to either aggree to their own board of arbitration or pursue the others in court to recover their costs in a not to blame situation.

If Crosswind actually carries a 4"x4' with him I have much respect for him... with a hand that big, he may never get lonely... :)

lol !!! Well he did say "4x 4' somewhere on another thread, but probably meant a 2''x 4' He IS Sri Lankan after all :D

He he he he he he.... I know of someone who thought just like that and a Fender Bender and the resulting altercation ended up with him being charged for assault and small stay in Welikada. The aggrieved party actually went full throttle to get him charged with grievous bodily harm but sanity prevailed and the lawyers came to a peaceful conclusion. Bugger had to say sorry and kiss and make up.

A bumper or a car is not worth a night in Welikada or any cop shop holding tank, machang.. trust me on that. Once you sleep next to a squatting pan sharing a cell with druggie suffering from explosive runs, no car on earth is worth it. Besides.. that arse rape you talk about.. you might get it yourself.

Grit your teeth, smile and just get the damn thing fixed. Shout at him all you want.. but do not lay a finger.

Best bit of motoring advice ever!

Edited by Kavvz

you are being serious here aren't you? :o

Sounds harrowing! :D

Blue, red and white.

I usually drive the white one (wearing the white sarong and the white short-sleeved shirt of course)

Ah! But its usually the female of the species that is deadly, plus as most men generally tend to go ape-shit over stuff that happens to their family, its the Blue Ford or the Red Kia I'd want to avoid !!

But isn't that in the best interests of your insurance company to claim from the other insurer if they are at fault?

I know there isn't any point comparing the UK but they sell special insurance to cover this eventuality called Motor legal protection.

Basically the process is

1. If the other party accepts blame, the claim is paid out by the other insurer

2. If blame is contested then it goes to court and motor legal protection will cover the legal costs of your insurer who will pursue the other insurer. But you don't have to wait to get your car repaired. While this goes on, your insurer will pay out and get you back on the road

Considering SL legal costs, and claim costs I think it makes sense for insurers to either aggree to their own board of arbitration or pursue the others in court to recover their costs in a not to blame situation.

It's even cleaner here. You crash, get the cops over, they "investigate" and determine who is at fault and that's that. The cops are right almost always and the verdict never gets contested. The cops also are not swayed by bribes and stuff so the system works well.

The insurance companies only open the claim with the police report. Each insurer covers the repair costs of their respective insureds and the companies settle between themselves based on who's at fault.

It's even cleaner here. You crash, get the cops over, they "investigate" and determine who is at fault and that's that. The cops are right almost always and the verdict never gets contested. The cops also are not swayed by bribes and stuff so the system works well.

The insurance companies only open the claim with the police report. Each insurer covers the repair costs of their respective insureds and the companies settle between themselves based on who's at fault.

Isn't that how it should work anyway?

Isn't that how it should work anyway?

Yeah, but in Europe, unless there are casualties, or laws have been broken vehicle accidents are not considered police matters. They tend to encourage the matter to be settled via insurance. Its only when this fails and thats pretty rare do matters end up in court.

To be honest, I think that model would work better in SL. Sri Lankan cops are not going to become angels anytime soon, and I'd rather not trust them. There is plenty of evidence they manipulate evidence and make false accusations to extract bribes. At least insurance companies will be driven by comercial interests, and would be more likely to settle amongst themselves better in a sensible manner than with police involved.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Crosswind" data-cid="275939" data-time="1428570444"><p>

<br />

Isn't that how it should work anyway?</p></blockquote>

barely anything goes to court here and traffic accidents get taken care of very easily and quickly by Insurance companies compared to SL.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Crosswind" data-cid="275939" data-time="1428570444"><p>

<br />

Isn't that how it should work anyway?</p></blockquote>

barely anything goes to court here and traffic accidents get taken care of very easily and quickly by Insurance companies compared to SL.

I forget but Is 'here' the middle east?

Yes, Qatar to be precise.

Well then, I'm not surprised that hardly anything gets contested in court and that the decisions the police officers make over there are generally final for Qatar can't really be touted as a country which upholds freedom and equal rights. Nor can their legal system really be considered superior to Sri Lanka's. As a temporary resident of Qatar, you are probably more knowledgable of what happens there, but if I were a law student and asked to rank or compare legal systems on how fair and democratic they are; I think I'd be ranking Sri Lanka's legal system much higher up that I would Qatar's.

No offence, but I think I prefer our Sri Lankan legal system and our Sri Lankan police force to Qatar's quite a bit; regardless of how corrupt or inefficient our system may or may not be.

Edited by Kavvz

Well then, I'm not surprised that hardly anything gets contested in court and that the decisions the police officers make over there are generally final for Qatar can't really be touted as a country which upholds freedom and equal rights. Nor can their legal system really be considered superior to Sri Lanka's. As a temporary resident of Qatar, you are probably more knowledgable of what happens there, but if I were a law student and asked to rank or compare legal systems on how fair and democratic they are; I think I'd be ranking Sri Lanka's legal system much higher up that I would Qatar's.

No offence, but I think I prefer our Sri Lankan legal system and our Sri Lankan police force to Qatar's quite a bit; regardless of how corrupt or inefficient our system may or may not be.

Oh I absolutely agree that the legal system is primitive here. But on the very narrow instance of traffic accidents and related insurance settlements, things flow a little smoother is all.

I am definitely not praising the system as a whole by any means.

• Like 1

Not just Qatar, the legal systems of many Gulf states are like that. The law enforcement is very authorative, rude, take arbitary decisions and the whole system is open to abuse of power. There is very little consideration for rights of the accused and innocent until proven guilty.

I've been told of arbitary deporations from countries like Kuwait, Europeans who work there as teachers, and I remember the attitude of the border guards in Dubai, who were just plain rude to travelers and it kind of put me off transiting through there.

Until the last regime played some dirty games, our judiciary, particular at higher courts was excellent and well respected. Inefficient yes, but justice is usually served.

Oh I absolutely agree that the legal system is primitive here. But on the very narrow instance of traffic accidents and related insurance settlements, things flow a little smoother is all. I am definitely not praising the system as a whole by any means.

Even when it comes to traffic accidents, they probably have a bias towards natives / citizens of Qatar as well as other biases based on religion and ethnicity as is common in Dubai etc. Hopefully you never get into an accident with a native / citizen of Qatar for if its anything like the horror stories from the UAE; the whole legal system will be biased against you regardless of whether you were truly at fault or in the clear.

Edited by Kavvz