• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Hiace

sira

If i have to change the tyre size i might as well fix bigger rims, maybe increase by an inch :sad-smiley-066:

what exactly is the ply? is that what measure the load capacity?

most KDH users telling not to use Over size tyres, rims and allow wheels other than original Allow wheels. they are telling if use over size tires often want to change tyre set as well as ball joints. if use Allow wheels they are telling waned to change often Front hub bearing.

i also thinking to use allow wheels but after user's comments i decided to keep as it is with rim cups.

If i have to change the tyre size i might as well fix bigger rims, maybe increase by an inch :sad-smiley-066:

what exactly is the ply? is that what measure the load capacity?

Ply rating is how many nylon layers have used to construct the tyre. The Ply Rating used to refer to the number of layers of nylon. yes in other word load capacity...

"The load range/ply rating branded on a tire’s sidewall identifies how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Today’s load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire’s internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply. Passenger tires feature named load ranges while light truck tires use load ranges that ascend in alphabetical order (letters further along in the alphabet identify stronger tires that can withstand higher inflation pressures and carry heavier loads).

Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings and/or the actual number of casing plies were used to identify the relative strength with higher numeric ratings or plies identifying tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions. In all cases, when changing tire sizes or converting from one type of size to another, it is important to confirm that the Load Index in the tire’s service description of the new tire is equal to or greater than the Load Index of the original tire and/or that the new tire’s rated load capacity is sufficient to carry the vehicle’s gross axle weight ratings."

Don't ever "upgrade" to those 21"- 23" rims with low profile tyres, available in the market for roughly 80,000/- with used tyres

Looks good but a pothole nightmare, you can count the grain on the road as you move along, suited only for the best tarmac

No wonder they go cheap.

LOL never, those look weird too.

I prefer an increase of either 1 or 2 inch only. I know very well how uncomfy those really big rims are, my cousin fixed 17" rims on his car which came 13."

You can feel each and every tiny cracks on road through the steering wheel. Even after replacing the shocks it was still uncomfy.

Also fixing such big rims loads of trouble, see this thread:

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15506-my-nightmare-experience-after-fitting-new-alloy-wheels-in-sri-lanka/

most KDH users telling not to use Over size tyres, rims and allow wheels other than original Allow wheels. they are telling if use over size tires often want to change tyre set as well as ball joints. if use Allow wheels they are telling waned to change often Front hub bearing.

i also thinking to use allow wheels but after user's comments i decided to keep as it is with rim cups.

I like to keep the tyre size as stock and with wheel cups it looks good enough, but if i cant find that tyre size, i might change the rims as well.

With bigger tyres than stock the wheel cups dont fix good as before too, the tyre kind of pops over the wheel cup.

Im not sure of those ball joints and hub bearing, maybe the experts here would be able to shine some light on it

Ply rating is how many nylon layers have used to construct the tyre. The Ply Rating used to refer to the number of layers of nylon. yes in other word load capacity...

"The load range/ply rating branded on a tire’s sidewall identifies how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Today’s load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire’s internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply. Passenger tires feature named load ranges while light truck tires use load ranges that ascend in alphabetical order (letters further along in the alphabet identify stronger tires that can withstand higher inflation pressures and carry heavier loads).

Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings and/or the actual number of casing plies were used to identify the relative strength with higher numeric ratings or plies identifying tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions. In all cases, when changing tire sizes or converting from one type of size to another, it is important to confirm that the Load Index in the tire’s service description of the new tire is equal to or greater than the Load Index of the original tire and/or that the new tire’s rated load capacity is sufficient to carry the vehicle’s gross axle weight ratings."

Thanks man!

• Like 1

Tyre sizes and differences in speedometer for each one

If the original tyre size cant be found 205/70R16 seems to be best which gives pretty much 0% error but not sure which brands have this size

Hiace_tyre_sizes.jpg

Edited by Magnum

• 1 month later...
Yes! recondition one is around 45k

Im not sure about 2LTE but I think the 1KZ gives trouble if not properly looked after

I have seen many 1KZs being repaired in the garage but at the same time my cousin had a Super Custom which he looked after well and it was trouble free till he sold it at around 180,000km

1KD and 2KD Injectors Brand new Denso Japan have for Rs. 55,000/-

Is that the genuine injector?

Bdw I found out that original HIace KDH tyre size is available in SL

Yes Genuine. where it is available? i mean tyres? and what is the brand and how is the price?

Edited by Nilantha

Guys is there a difference between oil filters made in different countries? I'm talking about the same model of oil filters

Mag City sells Toyota 90915-20003 oil filter which is made in Japan for 2300LKR

where as Toyota 90915-YZZD2 oil filter which is made in Thailand is available for 950LKR outside both are made for Toyota 1KD and 2KD engine.

Guys is there a difference between oil filters made in different countries? I'm talking about the same model of oil filters

where as Toyota 90915-YZZD2 oil filter which is made in Thailand is available for 950LKR outside both are made for Toyota 1KD and 2KD engine.

The second part of the number should clue you in that it is not the same part. It's pretty likely the "outside" one is a fake part. You're better off going with VIC to be honest, solid product (actually made in Japan) and in some instances has proven to be even better than the manufacturer part!

The second part of the number should clue you in that it is not the same part. It's pretty likely the "outside" one is a fake part. You're better off going with VIC to be honest, solid product (actually made in Japan) and in some instances has proven to be even better than the manufacturer part!

Yeah I noticed the second part is different, I thought this is because they are made in different countries

the quality and the product is same. only price difference is this Thailand filter sellers do hand carry. if otherwise price also will get same. Made in Japan and made in Thailand is same quality. also see carefully some people selling Made in Japan oil filter also for 950/- that is hand carry from Dubai. 90915-YZZD2 is genuine. also check this people have no big stocks, just only have 10 or 20pcs in hand,

some people as a habit they think if price is cheap it is fake product. yes fake product also in the market. but see some people have hand carry Genuine goods for cheap price. from Thailand and Dubai not only oil filters

if VIC japan, check carefully where is printed Made in Japan, it is printed only in the Box not on the filter. VIC filters also not pure made in Japan, see carefully before buy.

Union filters also coming under Made in Japan. but see Made in Japan printed where it is.

Edited by Nilantha

the quality and the product is same. only price difference is this Thailand filter sellers do hand carry. if otherwise price also will get same. Made in Japan and made in Thailand is same quality. also see carefully some people selling Made in Japan oil filter also for 950/- that is hand carry from Dubai. 90915-YZZD2 is genuine. also check this people have no big stocks, just only have 10 or 20pcs in hand,

some people as a habit they think if price is cheap it is fake product. yes fake product also in the market. but see some people have hand carry Genuine goods for cheap price. from Thailand and Dubai not only oil filters

if VIC japan, check carefully where is printed Made in Japan, it is printed only in the Box not on the filter. VIC filters also not pure made in Japan, see carefully before buy.

Union filters also coming under Made in Japan. but see Made in Japan printed where it is.

How to tell the difference if its genuine or fake?

How to tell the difference if its genuine or fake?

very difficult. it depend on product. if you are talking about oil filters we have to cut and want to open and see (I have done). if it is air filters can see paper quality, but if price high it is not original every-time, some time fake one also selling for high prices.

you know some products, chines fake one is quality than original once :speechless-smiley-004:

very difficult. it depend on product. if you are talking about oil filters we have to cut and want to open and see (I have done). if it is air filters can see paper quality, but if price high it is not original every-time, some time fake one also selling for high prices.

you know some products, chines fake one is quality than original once :speechless-smiley-004:

I think i will go with the Mag City one, I'm not planning to take risks with my Hiace

This particular individual's viewpoints and advice have been proved to be wide off the mark many a time in AL from years and years back.. Just FYI

Haha thanks for the heads up!

• 4 weeks later...

So I thought of doing a review on the Hiace after reading TIVs review on the Leaf

The most commonly asked question is the fuel economy so I'll start with,

I always drive with A/C and It averages about 10-11km/l and super diesel is a must. Normal diesel will damage the injectors and clog the DPF unit

It has got plenty of pulling power, never had any trouble with overtaking or hill climbs even when driving with A/C on.

The 3000cc has a VNT turbo which will kick in at any engine speed and the turbo lag is minimal, i read somewhere the DPF helps reduce the turbo lag

The driving position is one of my favorite thing about the Hiace, you get a very raised up driving position something like what you find in LR Discovery. The raised driving position will give you feeling of driving a very big vehicle but you will get used to it later on.

op7pk0.jpg

ogao0j.jpg

This is the best place to sit in the van

2pyxrw2.jpg

You get a fat comfy seat and you can rest your feet straight on the space behind the front seats with the dual A/C blowing at you.

The dual A/C does a good job in cooling down the van's interior, even in hot areas like Colombo or Batticaloa it cools down the van in about 5 mins after being parked in the sun and you wouldnt want it blowing at your face for a long time cuz it gets quite chill.

Theres plenty of space in the boot and even with the 3rd row seat up theres enough space for luggage

I have done two services in SL and both of them were done at Mag City, the first one costed me 29,000LKR and the second one costed 18,000LKR. All oils and filters were genuine Toyota ones.

So far I have fixed alloy wheels and replaced the Kumho tyres with Continental tyres. The Kumho tyres weren't that comfy

22688988356_7381361eb5_b.jpg

Fixed Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited for fog lamps and high beams

DSC_0182.jpg

I went for a Japanese Pioneer head unit with Panasonic reverse camera

2d0i9lt.jpg

The Modellista lip and eye lid came from Japan, probably its factory fitted

22526737620_45caa72daa_b.jpg

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Really ? When I was in Tanzania; Toyota Tanzania and other "official/authorized" dealers brought in oils and filters etc...from Dubai and South Africa (where apparently there are regional distribution centers...don't know how valid this is..that is what they said). Checking my old service records the filter for a RAV4 costs about $18 (Vitz is approx $13) and they were Made in Japan (since these were actual Toyota centers I don't have a reason to question the authenticity). The fake ones were about $10 and $6 resepctively.

The filter in Japan for my Corolla wagon is 1080 yen...the oil filter for my RAV4 a few years ago was 1450 yen (I know this because the Toyota dealerships offer an "oil keep" program where I pay for 10L of oil in bulk and every time I go for an oil change I only pay for the filter and a bit on sundries)

Granted I have never looked at filter prices for a HiAce....

Interesting that in SL you can get a "Made in Japan" genuine oil filter for Rs950 just by hand carrying it (which still includes at least a small profit for the seller)

PreseaLovers Hiace Cousin....

But im not selling my van for atleast another 5-10 years :P

Nice one dude, lol I knew I would get to see loads of Hiace pics when I saw your FB status that ur home :D

Haha yeah! Already uploaded an album in FB, couple of friends came by on day 01 itself ;)

22093598493_9e2b7ba0e0_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Some of your image links are broken Magnum. Well at least I can't see them.

Drove a Hiace last year from Melbourne to Sydney (well, close to) with 2 friends to get a chassis + engine for an Austin 7. The whole journey was about 1800km and we did the round trip in under 24 hours. I drove just over 1000km with a few stops. Being a basic delivery type van, it was still pretty alright. The guy who sat in the front middle seat had a really bad time due to the uncomfortable seating position. We took turns taking the other full sized front passenger seat to avoid giving one guy a back pain or something. This one was a 2.7L Petrol.

Most of the roads that I drove on had a speed limit of either 100km/h or 110 km/h. The roads were a bit rough when we entered the deserted areas on the way and we had to keep the speed down to about 70 or 80 because the ride was uncomfortable and really noisy. The speed limit on those roads was 110 as well. Felt really lucky that we went slow cause I hit a kangaroo who suddenly appeared out of nowhere and made it across the road just a few feet away from the van. Heard a loud thud and it was it's tail that came into contact with the van's front bumper. Both the van and kangaroo were fine. :)

Drove another Hiace towards the begining of this year and did a trip of about 700km and that was a van with full seats and dual AC. It didn't have body coloured bumpers though. There were 7 people in the van + luggage and this is when I felt that the van was a bit underpowered. This was a 3.0L Diesel NA.