• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Hiace

sira

Some of your image links are broken Magnum. Well at least I can't see them.

Drove a Hiace last year from Melbourne to Sydney (well, close to) with 2 friends to get a chassis + engine for an Austin 7. The whole journey was about 1800km and we did the round trip in under 24 hours. I drove just over 1000km with a few stops. Being a basic delivery type van, it was still pretty alright. The guy who sat in the front middle seat had a really bad time due to the uncomfortable seating position. We took turns taking the other full sized front passenger seat to avoid giving one guy a back pain or something. This one was a 2.7L Petrol.

Most of the roads that I drove on had a speed limit of either 100km/h or 110 km/h. The roads were a bit rough when we entered the deserted areas on the way and we had to keep the speed down to about 70 or 80 because the ride was uncomfortable and really noisy. The speed limit on those roads was 110 as well. Felt really lucky that we went slow cause I hit a kangaroo who suddenly appeared out of nowhere and made it across the road just a few feet away from the van. Heard a loud thud and it was it's tail that came into contact with the van's front bumper. Both the van and kangaroo were fine. :)

Drove another Hiace towards the begining of this year and did a trip of about 700km and that was a van with full seats and dual AC. It didn't have body coloured bumpers though. There were 7 people in the van + luggage and this is when I felt that the van was a bit underpowered. This was a 3.0L Diesel NA.

I assume its the interior pics that you couldn't see. Check if they are visible to you now

The Aussie version of Hiace is bit different to what we bring down from Japan. The Aussie version is made more for work purpose, even the DX which comes from Japan is more passenger oriented.

Where did you drive this 3.0L NA Hiace? was this a KDH? It must have been a 5L engine. Couple of KDH vans with 5L engine were sold here in SL by Toyota Lanka

I assume its the interior pics that you couldn't see. Check if they are visible to you now

The Aussie version of Hiace is bit different to what we bring down from Japan. The Aussie version is made more for work purpose, even the DX which comes from Japan is more passenger oriented.

Where did you drive this 3.0L NA Hiace? was this a KDH? It must have been a 5L engine. Couple of KDH vans with 5L engine were sold here in SL by Toyota Lanka

Yeah it was a KDH and I drove it here in Australia. Maybe 5L then, because I definitely do remember it not having a turbo. It was a hired van by a friend, so I couldn't pay much attention to the engine.

Does the passenger version of the KDH come with different suspension when compared to the regular DX version?

Yeah it was a KDH and I drove it here in Australia. Maybe 5L then, because I definitely do remember it not having a turbo. It was a hired van by a friend, so I couldn't pay much attention to the engine.

Does the passenger version of the KDH come with different suspension when compared to the regular DX version?

If you are referring to the wagon version it gets coil spring at the back. The Super GL still gets leaf spring but I think theres a difference in the shocks cuz mine has damping shocks and I was talking to a guy in Aussie he said his doesn't.

Most of the vans used for carrying cargo have harder tyres which can be bumpy. Sometimes from vans which come from Japan also have these tyres

Bdw can you see the pics now?

Edited by Magnum

If you are referring to the wagon version it gets coil spring at the back. The Super GL still gets leaf spring but I think theres a difference in the shocks cuz mine has damping shocks and I was talking to a guy in Aussie he said his doesn't.

Most of the vans used for carrying cargo have harder tyres which can be bumpy. Sometimes from vans which come from Japan also have these tyres

Bdw can you see the pics now?

Right. Thanks.

Yeah, I can see the pics now.

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited fog lamps

2m787wl.jpg

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited fog lamps + OEM Toyota HID low beam

6gfv5x.jpg

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited fog lamps + OEM Toyota HID low beam + Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited high beam

b7dohw.jpg

Without fog lamps

U4HGIfG.jpg

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 2

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited fog lamps

2m787wl.jpg

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited fog lamps + OEM Toyota HID low beam

6gfv5x.jpg

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited fog lamps + OEM Toyota HID low beam + Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited high beam

b7dohw.jpg

Without fog lamps

U4HGIfG.jpg

what is this fog lamp?

what is this fog lamp?

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited

KDH206 very difficult to take 10kmpl in traffic 6kmpl can

10km/l is the avg figure with A/C

It depends on how you drive, when driving in city limits i usually dont thrash the vehicle cuz no matter how fast you try to go you will eventually end up in traffic, if the van is kept in eco mode it does about 8km/l in city with A/C and if you drive it heavy footed it will do about 6km/l

Edited by Magnum

• 1 month later...
Check the manufacturer rated tyre size from the driver side door sill sticker, and since you altered the tyre size do check the psi rating for the tyre on the side wall, personally I feel 35psi is a bit too much, but depends on your loading characteristics as well,

Maxxis tyres indeed are a good option in our part of the world :speechless-smiley-004:

Why is that?

I bought Continental tyres

• 5 months later...

my KDH service cost as below

Oil - 6L Delo Sport 10W 30 CI4 - 6000/-
Oil filter Genuine Toyota :- 1100/-
Wash vacuum and wax 2500/-

Total 9,600/-

why this MAG city people charge this much? 18,000/- what they do????

I wash every month and oil change every 5000km
5000km reach normally after 3 months

Air Filter i use Genuine Toyota 4500/-
Fuel Filter Genuine Toyota 2,100/-

planning to change Fuel and Air filter every 15,000 km

Edited by Nilantha

my KDH service cost as below

Oil - 6L Delo Sport 10W 30 CI4 - 6000/-

Oil filter Genuine Toyota :- 1100/-

Wash vacuum and wax 2500/-

Total 9,600/-

why this MAG city people charge this much? 18,000/- what they do????

I wash every month and oil change every 5000km

5000km reach normally after 3 months

Air Filter i use Genuine Toyota 4500/-

Fuel Filter Genuine Toyota 2,100/-

planning to change Fuel and Air filter every 15,000 km

Did you service at Mag City earlier?

• 2 years later...

what is the best tire size for KDH(9-10 seater) ,for better fuel consumption & comfortability ?

if increased the  tire sizes(ex:205 70R 16),will it prevent the KDH's rear wheels spinning problem?

Magnum...?

Edited by KDH <3

2 hours ago, KDH <3 said:

what is the best tire size for KDH(9-10 seater) ,for better fuel consumption & comfortability ?

if increased the  tire sizes(ex:205 70R 16),will it prevent the KDH's rear wheels spinning problem?

Magnum...?

If you want the best fuel economy then stick to the original tyre size and use an eco or low resistance tyre set.

I'm current using a Continental Vanco tyres, I would suggest that for a comfortable ride, I'm not sure if you could get tyres that are comfortable and help provide a better fuel economy.

On the topic of changing the tyre, well if you fix bigger wheels it will reduce the fuel economy for sure and some people claim that it reduces the wheel spinning issue but I don't have first hand experience in it. Mine is a KDH206 hence I don't have that problem.

KDH requires 105/107 weight rated tyres or 8 ply tyres, although some people use 98 weight rated tyres or 6 ply tyres. Going for a lower weight rating tyres would wear them out soon. 

There are some all terrain tyres which are compatible with Hiace, they may reduce the wheel spinning issue as well.

Some people claim that KDH series vans have more wheel spinning issue than LH series due to being lighter, this isn't true. KDH201 weighs roughly 200kg more than a LH172, but at the same time it has more torque and the peak torque is produced at a lower RPM as well which causes tyres to spin excessively when the rear is empty 

• 3 years later...

Its been a long time since the last post. I found this thread from a link you have given.

I bought an 205 6years ago after advises given from the forum. while thanking you for that, would like to know if anyone have come across an issue with the A/C compressor? (One fault is the A/C light blinks)

Is it repairable or have to replace it? 

2 hours ago, Revo said:

Its been a long time since the last post. I found this thread from a link you have given.

I bought an 205 6years ago after advises given from the forum. while thanking you for that, would like to know if anyone have come across an issue with the A/C compressor? (One fault is the A/C light blinks)

Is it repairable or have to replace it? 

Its hard to say if it is repairable or not without knowing what the problem is. Toyotas have the AC blinking light whenever there is something wrong with the air circulation system and the reasons can vary ! The reasons can range from the AC unit is busted to compressor having issues to the auto climate control sensors having issues to the vents and refresh/circuate flaps getting clogged to something simple as the cabin filter getting clogged or not properly inserted.

I would say try the simplest thing first (clean the cabin filter and stuff..) and then go get a diagnosis done by a professional.