• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

MADZ

52 minutes ago, Legnumvr4 said:

Has anyone seen this here?

Not your typical wagon. 

2500cc V6 Twin Turbo mated to a manual 5 Speed gearbox. 4WD with Active Yaw Control. 

97827132-1-d2894787e0-660x371.jpg

Wow. Not a fan of wagons at all but this one looks really good! Very sleek design like some of the newer shooting brakes etc. 

What is this a some kind of Mitsubishi Galant Wagon? 

6 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Yes...it is exactly that...in Japan it was called the Legnum.

On 11/4/2020 at 12:32 PM, Gummybr said:

Then the current boss was saying that he doesn't see the reason for a station wagon when there are SUV's or crossovers.

Very fair statement....even in Japan...touring wagons were quite popular UNTIL their were more crossover options, especially the smaller ones....they proved to be more versatile. It is a global phenomenon actually.

26 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Wow. Not a fan of wagons at all but this one looks really good! Very sleek design like some of the newer shooting brakes etc. 

Rumor has it that there are 2 Legnums in Sri Lanka. Both VR4s.

97827132-15e9cacbfb-660x371.jpg

23 hours ago, kmeeg said:

ToyFeatured.thumb.jpg.7b7029732a72c912d1104f2c9a2617d5.jpg

Looking great there buddy! Also: Did you mount a light bar on the 4Runner behind the lower grill fascia@kmeeg? What kit did you use? (I've only got Halogens and need to get some more light on the road badly...)

Edited by Kavvz

Just now, Kavvz said:

Did mount a light bar on the 4Runner there @kmeeg? What kit did u use? (I've only got Halogens and need to get some more light on the road badly...)

Machan, as for lighting first try upgrading the headlight bulbs first. I got 35W HID low beams (projector housing) and LEDs on High beam & Fogs (Reflector housing).

The reason I tell you that is I learn from one mistake. Let me explain,

The light bar I got is an Auxbeam 32in 180W one mounted on Rago modular brackets (which I can add multiple lights on same bracket). This light bar way bright when I had halogens and now I can hardly tell if its on or off after my headlight bulb upgrade. So highly recommend headlight upgrade first.

Since I install behind grill I think the light is somewhat wasted too due to the grill. Front of the grill or on roof might be a better option. Cleaning mud and all the junk is a little pain too, but not too bad with pressure washer. 

I also think the cheap price of US$90 for this 32inch light bar is there of a reason vs a US$1000 Baja design OnX6 30inch light bar which seem to have soooo much light output as per reviews.

In short first try headlight upgrade and then look for lightbar option and not make the mistake I did buying cheap lightbar :)

IMG_1657.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

There was a discussion in Japan about passing laws requiring all new cars to have speed limiters. The manufacturers suggestion was that they can extend the existing  street sign recognition to actually reduce and control the speed (as opposed to the annoying beep for a few seconds most new models seem to do). The discussion surrounded the cost implication of the feature which would in many ways will be passed down the the consumer and if (and what) subsidies can be extended to help them.

But yes...good move by Volvo.

5 hours ago, iRage said:

There was a discussion in Japan about passing laws requiring all new cars to have speed limiters. The manufacturers suggestion was that they can extend the existing  street sign recognition to actually reduce and control the speed (as opposed to the annoying beep for a few seconds most new models seem to do). The discussion surrounded the cost implication of the feature which would in many ways will be passed down the the consumer and if (and what) subsidies can be extended to help them.

But yes...good move by Volvo.

Automation is really good but its important that they are been tested thoroughly and should not be released before that. Ex - Tesla road sign and traffic light detection system where the car stops at green light. Its a know defect right? Why on earth its available on customer vehicles?? Also seen quite a few where the car brakes for a second when passing bridges, which could be catastrophic to the car behind it. 

Again I'm not against these safety features but needs to be tested before enabling on customer cars. Customers should not be testing dummies on public roads.

On 11/9/2020 at 12:31 PM, kmeeg said:

In short first try headlight upgrade and then look for lightbar option and not make the mistake I did buying cheap lightbar :)

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

(I'll think about about the headlight upgrade, but as it doesn't have projector lenses I will have to buy a new housing x2 plus the kit for the HID upgrade: So cost wise a light bar makes sense. Plus I am not too sure how long I will keep this particular 4x4. I've gotten to really like it, but if I do sell and down grade; I can always take the light bar / driving lights with me. So that's a plus too.)

19 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

(I'll think about about the headlight upgrade, but as it doesn't have projector lenses I will have to buy a new housing x2 plus the kit for the HID upgrade: So cost wise a light bar makes sense. Plus I am not too sure how long I will keep this particular 4x4. I've gotten to really like it, but if I do sell and down grade; I can always take the light bar / driving lights with me. So that's a plus too.)

If you got all reflectors try with existing housings before spending on new housings. I'm going to test new LEDs soon. I ordered GTR Ultra 2 series LEDs y'day :)

image.jpeg.dc81cb4afc89083c57fcff30b234746f.jpeg

3 hours ago, kmeeg said:

If you got all reflectors try with existing housings before spending on new housings. I'm going to test new LEDs soon. I ordered GTR Ultra 2 series LEDs y'day :)

image.jpeg.dc81cb4afc89083c57fcff30b234746f.jpeg

Really? I thought putting in HID's or LED into reflector type housings was not recommended? I do however have my old H11 type morimoto HID kit from the J33 which I can use for the test....so I guess I can give it a whirl! :D Cool, will keep you informed. (And thank you for the brand names on the lightbar and mount, I'll look into that too) ?

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Automation is really good but its important that they are been tested thoroughly and should not be released before that. Ex - Tesla road sign and traffic light detection system where the car stops at green light. Its a know defect right? Why on earth its available on customer vehicles?? Also seen quite a few where the car brakes for a second when passing bridges, which could be catastrophic to the car behind it. 

Again I'm not against these safety features but needs to be tested before enabling on customer cars. Customers should not be testing dummies on public roads.

Well...I don't think the manufacturers actually meant to let the car do it autonomously (just yet)....it is more like an extension of what Nissan's pro-drive does. The system does a lot of automated inputs as long as the driver is actively engaged. For example...Nissan Pro pilot pretty much steers by itself within the lane and if you put the signal light on to a direction, gives steering assist; but rings and vibrates and start applying the brakes if it does not get any user activity for more than a few seconds. Even if you take Toyota's safety sense or Subaru's eye sight...it does not take full control of your vehicle. Only time it does is when it does not detect any brake input and the radar detects an object nearby (or detects an incorrect input (eg. accidental acceleration which is common with old folk over here).

So it seems like the intension was to add speed limiters based on the detected speed limit for the road (or even traffic density ? I suppose).  Also, speed governors have been used in cars for a pretty long long time.

Yes...testing is important...so is the message/marketing....with the systems the CAR manufacturers put out...they do market it as active safety assist systems, thus they are there to help the driver. tesla on the other hand push it as systems that automate driving...the two give out totally different messages. (Yes...I did differentiate car manufacturers from Tesla...the latter is s tech company that builds cars. One comes with experiences in people dying and billions of dollars spent on litigation whilst the other comes with the approach of handling blue screens of death with software patches).

I don't think anyone has a fully autonomous driving system that is commercially viable.  On one hand, the car manufacturers, being car manufacturers, are being traditionalists and being overly conservative. On the other hand, Tesla, being a typical tech firm, is being overly optimistic and overselling.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 1:49 PM, Kavvz said:

Really? I thought putting in HID's or LED into reflector type housings was not recommended? I do however have my old H11 type morimoto HID kit from the J33 which I can use for the test....so I guess I can give it a whirl! :D Cool, will keep you informed. (And thank you for the brand names on the lightbar and mount, I'll look into that too) ?

Installed the new LEDs. Light output is not bad for a LED, I guess LEDs getting better and produce light output as good as a HID.

The one I bought available in eBay as well. They seem to have pretty much all bulb holder types-

Capturegtr2.JPG

Capturegtrship.JPG

Edited by kmeeg
  • Like 2