• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ke72 4age swap, Is it possible?

chehanr

Question

Hello.
Was wondering whether it is possible to put a 4age engine in a ke72 wagon. 
At first i was planing on buying a ke70 sedan but it is proving to be a challenge to find a good one that's for sale. From what I've read and heard I believe that both the ke72 and the ke70 share somewhat the same structure. So I resorted to pursue a wagon as a project car. 
Your opinion on this is highly valuable.
Thanks.
PS: It is also highly appreciated if you could point me at place where I can find a good 4age in SL. 

4 answers to this question

Yes you can put a 4A-GE in to a KE72. Its been done quite a lot in Malaysia, Thailand and Japan...and even in AUS. 

Which 4A-GE are you looking at ? 

Depending on the variant you plan to go for, you will need to do a bit of fabrication.

Also, if you are going for a 4A-GE, I recommend you swap out the gear box as well...easiest would be a T50...you could also look at a W55 or something of the sort. The stock K40 or K50 transmission in the KE72 is not going to handle the 4A-GE's power that well. 

Optionally you will want to look in to changing the rear-end as well...at least at some point in the future.

Image result for カローラバン 4agImage result for カローラバン 4agImage result for カローラバン 4ag

• Like 1

Also, finding a 4a-ge in SL is a bit of a challenge. When decent ones come up they get sold quite fast as the AE85 and other Corolla boys seem to grab them up real quick. This also drives the price up. To make it worst most of the units that come to SL are quite scary looking.

You might need to do things like

- make some brackets for the engine mounts

- do some mods to the firewall to hast the distributor (you might want to look in to going for a COP or a distributor relocation kit..but those are expensive)

Simplest  would be to go for a RWD 16v.

Engines...hmm...just the engine alone seem to go for anything from 130K - 180K. You will have to talk to some of the garages that do these conversions or people in the car community to see who has one. As for sourcing one from Japan/Malaysia...you can talk to the popular performance parts shops in Colombo. OR you can talk go to any body parts shop and try your luck there to have them find one for you.

Get on the FB car groups...

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

Depending on the variant you plan to go for, you will need to do a bit of fabrication.

As for the type of the 4age it doesn't really matter, either a Silver or Blacktop would be ok. What sort of fabrication should i look forward to? 
How much do you think a good unit would cost excluding the transmission? and is it possible to know where I can source one?

Edited by chehanr
nvm.