• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

On 4/17/2021 at 12:26 AM, misnad said:

Thank you! That really helped explain quite a bit. Shall check with the Federal Evoluzion too. Last I checked, Toyota were sold out on their Pirelli's for this size :(

About the tires, have you tried tyrebass[dot]lk? it seems to give a pretty good idea on brandwise price comparison. 

4 hours ago, NemesisArc said:

About the tires, have you tried tyrebass[dot]lk? it seems to give a pretty good idea on brandwise price comparison. 

tyrebass is managed by USP. You would find better offer if you directly check with U&H with your tyre size via their FB page.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guys, who do not know where I can sell my old car? Preferably for scrap. There are many amateur scrap yards in the UK, and all too often, you see them charging local drivers for scrap metal removal services. There are even yards that will tell you that they pick up scrap cars for cash and add some hidden fees when it comes to payment. Unfortunately, too many British motorists fall for these tricks because they think that's how the scrap metal trade works. I don't want to be a victim of this situation, and I would like to take advantage of free scrap metal removal and get paid right away.

Edited by TraceyMills

• 3 months later...

Ok so here’s an update after 3yrs of ownership. AC system started acting up again so got it checked at another known repair shop close by. The folks said that the compressor was shot since it was spewing oil outside. Wanted me to replace the unit, but there was none to be found, reconditioned or brand new. So they eventually decided to replace the oil seal and shaft for now. They did tell me that the oil was brown and had little white particles in it so it may have been a shoddy job by the previous chaps apparently. They also said that the previous folks would’ve used a cheap AC condenser (I got this replaced about 2yrs back) and that would’ve caused my compressor to act up. No idea what to believe though and the AC is back to normal function for now.

I’ll prolly take it to the company next to get the system scanned and a general checkup done. But I have questions:

1) Should compressor oil be clear as they claimed even after 3 years of running?

2) Has anyone else encountered a faulty compressor on this model and swapped it?

3) How does one identify a bad condenser? I mean mine doesn’t even have an oil spot so no leaks by the looks of it

4) I did notice a weird constant whistling or hissing sound from the AC system inside the car and it became more pronounced over time. Could this have meant low AC charge or something else?

I’ve kinda had it with these AC issues to be honest; repairs aren’t cheap especially nowadays 🤦‍♂️

11 minutes ago, misnad said:

Ok so here’s an update after 3yrs of ownership. AC system started acting up again so got it checked at another known repair shop close by. The folks said that the compressor was shot since it was spewing oil outside. Wanted me to replace the unit, but there was none to be found, reconditioned or brand new. So they eventually decided to replace the oil seal and shaft for now. They did tell me that the oil was brown and had little white particles in it so it may have been a shoddy job by the previous chaps apparently. They also said that the previous folks would’ve used a cheap AC condenser (I got this replaced about 2yrs back) and that would’ve caused my compressor to act up. No idea what to believe though and the AC is back to normal function for now.

I’ll prolly take it to the company next to get the system scanned and a general checkup done. But I have questions:

1) Should compressor oil be clear as they claimed even after 3 years of running?

2) Has anyone else encountered a faulty compressor on this model and swapped it?

3) How does one identify a bad condenser? I mean mine doesn’t even have an oil spot so no leaks by the looks of it

4) I did notice a weird constant whistling or hissing sound from the AC system inside the car and it became more pronounced over time. Could this have meant low AC charge or something else?

I’ve kinda had it with these AC issues to be honest; repairs aren’t cheap especially nowadays 🤦‍♂️

Not sure when you did the first AC repair, if they truly refilled with 1234yf refrigerant. Or if they had done a shoddy job with filling with r134a instead and haven’t changed the compressor oil to match r134a refrigerant, then it’ll badly hit on the compressor.

as I read, the system can run on either 1234yf or r134a, BUT compressor oil needs to be changed accordingly as well. Else it’ll fry the compressor sooner or later.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Quick update:

1) Changed all 4 tires this week to Continental MC6 from the factory fitted Michelins. I thought I needed new shocks as the car was so unstable, but turns out the Michelins had hardened up and peeled off everywhere. I also had to keep refilling air every week as I’d lose a few psi across tires. No such bumpiness with the new Continentals now and it’s far quieter than when I first got the car. Cost me 200k for all 4. Note: if you use Alloygators, make sure they mark which wheel it’s attached to. If you swap wheels and gators, they may not fit well - happened to me

2) Had another rat attack. Cleaned up the engine bay and went nuts with the Maarten repellent spray. I think it keeps me away from the car too now as I get the smell a few meters away from the garage at home too 😀

3) Heard some word going around that the fuel we have is no longer 95 octane, but I disagree. Haven’t noticed a drop in perf, knocking noises (the civic is sensitive to anything less than 95 octane and will make those metallic sounds on idle if something lower is used). I pump from both IOC (Horton Place) and Ceypetco (DN Galhena at Kalubowila)

In summary, I still love this car and will only give it the best treatment 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 1/29/2022 at 12:39 PM, misnad said:

Quick update:

1) Changed all 4 tires this week to Continental MC6 from the factory fitted Michelins. I thought I needed new shocks as the car was so unstable, but turns out the Michelins had hardened up and peeled off everywhere. I also had to keep refilling air every week as I’d lose a few psi across tires. No such bumpiness with the new Continentals now and it’s far quieter than when I first got the car. Cost me 200k for all 4. Note: if you use Alloygators, make sure they mark which wheel it’s attached to. If you swap wheels and gators, they may not fit well - happened to me

2) Had another rat attack. Cleaned up the engine bay and went nuts with the Maarten repellent spray. I think it keeps me away from the car too now as I get the smell a few meters away from the garage at home too 😀

3) Heard some word going around that the fuel we have is no longer 95 octane, but I disagree. Haven’t noticed a drop in perf, knocking noises (the civic is sensitive to anything less than 95 octane and will make those metallic sounds on idle if something lower is used). I pump from both IOC (Horton Place) and Ceypetco (DN Galhena at Kalubowila)

In summary, I still love this car and will only give it the best treatment 😀

For the rat thing - did you consider using meshes that can prevent them getting into the cabin? I have already done that as a precaution even though the rats seem to prefer the starlet than the civic - maybe buyyas (buying and selling folk) get reborn as rats 🐀  and their Toyota preference carries to their reincarnation . 

I also haven't noticed any issues with the fuel - nor the claimed 'reduction in gas mileage' and I'm pretty sure the civic being the drama queen it is will certainly throw a tantrum as you mentioned.  I pumped both IOC and ceypetco from the (IOC fuel station in Mahabage and Navy fuel station in Welisara - Negombo Road)  as well as a full tank of 95 from a ceypetco shed somewhere around Kandy 

I too don't have any complains so far and love the car - I just wish I had more power and a non-CVT box. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matroska said:

For the rat thing - did you consider using meshes that can prevent them getting into the cabin? I have already done that as a precaution even though the rats seem to prefer the starlet than the civic - maybe buyyas (buying and selling folk) get reborn as rats 🐀  and their Toyota preference carries to their reincarnation . 

I also haven't noticed any issues with the fuel - nor the claimed 'reduction in gas mileage' and I'm pretty sure the civic being the drama queen it is will certainly throw a tantrum as you mentioned.  I pumped both IOC and ceypetco from the (IOC fuel station in Mahabage and Navy fuel station in Welisara - Negombo Road)  as well as a full tank of 95 from a ceypetco shed somewhere around Kandy 

I too don't have any complains so far and love the car - I just wish I had more power and a non-CVT box. 

Yup, I’ve got the mesh installed in the front and there’s also an opening at the rear that was covered up. The issue is nothing prevents them from hopping into the engine bay area. I think I had a rat with an appetite for fine dining. Found about 5 snail shells (escargots?), a chicken bone and a load of its droppings on the engine housing. I’m guessing it’s the fellow from Ratatouille. The repellent spray is working well though… no sign of the critters anywhere in my garden either 😀

• Haha 1

Hello, 

My 2019 Civic 1.0T is due service on 12th Feb. It was last serviced an year ago and now service reminder asks me to service it due to 1yr is up.

For last year the car was used about 3500km and I used mobil 1 fully synthetic 0w30 oil. Mostly used for short trips (<3km, considered severe driving conditions I think) and few hard accelerations per week was included as well in driving pattern. 

I serviced at stafford and like to go there this time too. However due to current covid situation and looking at covid forecasts ( https://covid19.healthdata.org/sri-lanka?view=infections-testing&tab=trend&test=infections ), https://covid19.healthdata.org/sri-lanka?view=infections-testing&tab=trend&test=infectionsI like to delay service trip about 6 to 7 weeks to be safe. During this time I would probably drive at most 300km. 

I like to get your opinions on is it ok to delay service or whether I must attend to service on schedule. 

Thanks in advance. 

8 hours ago, abiman said:

Hello, 

My 2019 Civic 1.0T is due service on 12th Feb. It was last serviced an year ago and now service reminder asks me to service it due to 1yr is up.

For last year the car was used about 3500km and I used mobil 1 fully synthetic 0w30 oil. Mostly used for short trips (<3km, considered severe driving conditions I think) and few hard accelerations per week was included as well in driving pattern. 

I serviced at stafford and like to go there this time too. However due to current covid situation and looking at covid forecasts ( https://covid19.healthdata.org/sri-lanka?view=infections-testing&tab=trend&test=infections ), https://covid19.healthdata.org/sri-lanka?view=infections-testing&tab=trend&test=infectionsI like to delay service trip about 6 to 7 weeks to be safe. During this time I would probably drive at most 300km. 

I like to get your opinions on is it ok to delay service or whether I must attend to service on schedule. 

Thanks in advance. 

Your car is not going to suddenly stop working. However, whether you shold use the oil another 300km is dependant on the condition of the oil itself. If your engine is not in good condition then the oil will have a lot of residue which can be harmful to the engine. So as long as the oil is clean and has not broken down it would be okay. But please do change it as soon as it is possible for you to do so. 

What consititutes a severe use trip depends on vehicle to vehicle. sometimes it is less than 3..sometimes it is less than 5, sometimes it is less than 10 ! The idea is that the oil needs to reach operating tempreture (oil's operating tempreture is NOT the same as the temp you see on the meter cluster). Depending onthe region the car is configured for and the thermal efficiency ofthe car itself...this will change. 

8 hours ago, GWX777 said:

are you getting any vibes triggering to change suspension..?

Yup… changing the tires certainly helped make the ride feel much better, but it’s still a little too bumpy especially when I get into a small pothole or a bump. Going to take it to the company to check on the suspension. Might change it there if reasonable (doubtful), otherwise at Mr. Potato Estate at Battaramulla.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, misnad said:

Yup… changing the tires certainly helped make the ride feel much better, but it’s still a little too bumpy especially when I get into a small pothole or a bump. Going to take it to the company to check on the suspension. Might change it there if reasonable (doubtful), otherwise at Mr. Potato Estate at Battaramulla.

Hi, what is the mileage of your car? I am running the 2018 1.5 turbo sedan and have close to 55k on the clock but still havent had the need to change the shocks.

I changed my tires at 42,00km to Continental 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, misnad said:

I felt it since Day1. Primacy3 is bit on the stiffer side with great performance in braking and handling. Also I feel EX suspension is anyway stiffer than the others as it comes with adaptive suspension feature. When I moved to Yokohama ES32A, I felt some comfort on bumps compared to the Primacy3, But I must say the performance and handling of Primacy3 is way superior. ✌🏼

Definitely sounds like your tyres are harder. I switched to nankang ns25 and the ride became very compliant and I have done 28k. Grip is not outstanding but more than enough for an econo box like the civic.

At 30 kunlikely your shocks have given away unless you drove very fast or horrible roads. 

• Like 1

I’ve just recently switched to Continental MC6’s and they’re a huge bonus in ride comfort over the older Primacy 3’s. Just that the front end seems to take on bumps pretty badly compared to about a year ago. I recall ending up in a few potholes during the rainy season unfortunately and I guess that must’ve whacked it. Ah well.. shall report back after getting the shocks tested.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 1:32 PM, misnad said:

I’ve just recently switched to Continental MC6’s and they’re a huge bonus in ride comfort over the older Primacy 3’s. Just that the front end seems to take on bumps pretty badly compared to about a year ago. I recall ending up in a few potholes during the rainy season unfortunately and I guess that must’ve whacked it. Ah well.. shall report back after getting the shocks tested.

Hi, sorry this is not related to the topic..but what fuel economy can I expect from the 1.0 Civic?

2 hours ago, nubiaha said:

Hi, sorry this is not related to the topic..but what fuel economy can I expect from the 1.0 Civic?

Don't worry, this thread is all about the Civic! :D depends on where you're driving it and your style. I get around 10L/100km in Colombo city, but moves to about 5L/100km long distance on the highway.