• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

On 4/28/2022 at 2:20 PM, Dee Jay said:

Did you get the repair done? How was the quality of the job? (assume you did it at the agents)

And any noticeable difference in the car's handling/ comfort?

Yes, yesterday at Maradana St#fford M#tors. It costed 45,000 a piece + 5,000 in workmanship. I also replaced the front break pads at a cost of 39,000.

Today I spoke to a place in Nittambuwa, which rebuilds shocks. He was claiming to be able to repair the shocks. thought of getting the old ones done. Donno whether this is a dumb idea. 

Edited by tinyman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, tinyman said:

Yes, yesterday at Maradana St#fford M#tors. It costed 45,000 a piece + 5,000 in workmanship. I also replaced the front break pads at a cost of 39,000.

Today I spoke to a place in Nittambuwa, which rebuilds shocks. He was claiming to be able to repair the shocks. thought of getting the old ones done. Donno whether this is a dumb idea. 

Brake pads are freaking expensive at that place anyways. I got both front and back of my car replaced in Jan last year for 16K with OEM (Ate and Cifam) from UK. Through a friend who came down from UK.

wow. You guys spend way more money than I do at Carmart for my 508. I changed my brakes(genuine) for 25k with labour. Panchi had them for 16k. Plus even the other repairs were mostly cheaper. 

Not bashing you guys or anything,but I’m kinda freaked out at the money spent in the new Civics. Then again when I had a FD1 many years ago, Stafford did quote kinda crazy prices. But the new civics need the same money as a euro

@iRage whats your take on this? Jap cars been as expensive to maintain as the euros.

50 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Surely this is back in 2020

Got myself a set of brake pads for both front and back, cost me 35k with shipping, pretty sure it'd cost way more at the authorized agent

It was actually about 4-5 months back. They usually have “discounts” on them.
OEM for the 508 is still 32k at panchi (all 4).

Does that mean I recommend Carmart? Hell no. 

Fun story- I was at carmart around December looking for a tappet-cover change. They wanted 104k. I told them to go f off and went to the resident pug parts guy in Panchi. While I was there,this happened-

service advisor from carmart calls panchi guy: .name. we have a customer who needs a tappet cover, how much?

panchi guy-48k sir.

Service advisor- ok I’ll send a guy to collect it. *Hangs up*

so yeah. They can be scumbags at times. But mostly they are on par with the jap agents. Specially stafford. I obviously just go to panchi and get it done for even cheaper. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, fiat fan said:

wow. You guys spend way more money than I do at Carmart for my 508. I changed my brakes(genuine) for 25k with labour. Panchi had them for 16k. Plus even the other repairs were mostly cheaper. 

Not bashing you guys or anything,but I’m kinda freaked out at the money spent in the new Civics. Then again when I had a FD1 many years ago, Stafford did quote kinda crazy prices. But the new civics need the same money as a euro

@iRage whats your take on this? Jap cars been as expensive to maintain as the euros.

yeah, agree on this as Stafford try to rip off you. I had to replace lenses for my 2018 Civic. Some k#$t was stolen those when  car was parked. Stafford quotes for 55k each. I got from Pachi for 40k. Not sure, I would be able to get cheaper than that. But Stafford as normal car dealers ripping you off.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Sadly that has been the case for quite a while. About 4 years ago we were looking to refurb the suspension in the RAV4 and TL quote was nearly 3-4 times of what it was for us to buy the parts in Japan.

Bottom line is it is the unregulated import of parts which has flooded the market with cheap parts. Because of these cheap, sub-standard and even fake parts available in the open market,this is where a majority of the people go 90% of the time to get the needed parts. The result of this is that the authorized dealers for manufacturer's licensed parts (everyone from Toyota to Honda) loses a large market segment (thus cash inflow). the result of this ? The agent's typically high operational costs (as they ahve to maintain a facility according to anufacturer requirements) gets split across only a small volume of parts. Thus, the markup for operational costs are high. Then add to that the dealer's profit markup the price sarts adding up. Lets not forget that they have to ship large consignments and then on top of that pay 40-60% customs duty. So yeah....even Japanese cars are as expensive as Euro cars to maintain.

In many other countries genuine parts in the market are sourced through the agent (partly because of regulatory requirements that protect local industry as well as have standard requirements, partly because of pricing advantages). So, irrespective of whether car owners go to the agent or a 3rd party shop, the agent still has enough volume of sales to keep prices reasonable.  

8 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

And to think that I thought 35k for all 4 is a bargain 😅

Bah, don't pay no nevermind 😒

Mitsubishi can be quite pricey from my experience. 

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Sadly that has been the case for quite a while. About 4 years ago we were looking to refurb the suspension in the RAV4 and TL quote was nearly 3-4 times of what it was for us to buy the parts in Japan.

Bottom line is it is the unregulated import of parts which has flooded the market with cheap parts. Because of these cheap, sub-standard and even fake parts available in the open market,this is where a majority of the people go 90% of the time to get the needed parts. The result of this is that the authorized dealers for manufacturer's licensed parts (everyone from Toyota to Honda) loses a large market segment (thus cash inflow). the result of this ? The agent's typically high operational costs (as they ahve to maintain a facility according to anufacturer requirements) gets split across only a small volume of parts. Thus, the markup for operational costs are high. Then add to that the dealer's profit markup the price sarts adding up. Lets not forget that they have to ship large consignments and then on top of that pay 40-60% customs duty. So yeah....even Japanese cars are as expensive as Euro cars to maintain.

In many other countries genuine parts in the market are sourced through the agent (partly because of regulatory requirements that protect local industry as well as have standard requirements, partly because of pricing advantages). So, irrespective of whether car owners go to the agent or a 3rd party shop, the agent still has enough volume of sales to keep prices reasonable.  

I guess you are right about the cost being shared by fewer customers. But surely Jap Genuine parts can’t be the same as euro genuine parts,can it?

P.S. I just found out it costs 350k for a high pressure fuel pump on a Kia sorento. An injector is 125k. What in the f… @hrm care to confirm this bro?

2 hours ago, Rasika Praz Silva said:

hi Gents

Who you are insured with your Honda Civic? Also, where do you take normally to smash repairs. Well sadly my Mrs smash car in to pole today😣 I tow the car to Staford repair and I am with SLIC. 

Take it to stafford if the insurance pays you. Most of these “experts” with big names will charge you top dollar for it,but the job done is subpar.

SLIC is ok from what I hear(I have mine with them too,but praying to God that I don't have to use them.

Another member took his car to a very reputable Honda Repair shop and he payed close to 8 lacks for a very shoddy job. I’ll link that thread below.

I never had personal experience with Stafford when it comes to body work, but at least you can hold them responsible. The “expert” fellows start using the “yako” and “kunu harapa” once you pay them. They also make it a point to shame you on social media for there stupidity.

Read this thread- 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rasika Praz Silva said:

Well sadly my Mrs smash car in to pole today😣 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:59 AM, Klord said:

My future wife managed to crash my car in to a parked bus in Kandy road

Qx3Sgix.jpg

What's with missises and them smashing their misters Civix into stationary objects

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Mitsubishi can be quite pricey from my experience. 

I guess you are right about the cost being shared by fewer customers. But surely Jap Genuine parts can’t be the same as euro genuine parts,can it?

P.S. I just found out it costs 350k for a high pressure fuel pump on a Kia sorento. An injector is 125k. What in the f… @hrm care to confirm this bro?

No it is not...what I was trying to say is that because the agent's volume of sales are low  and high import taxes; even though the price of the part at the source country/supplier is low, it adds up.

Also, maybe a Euro car guy can confirm, even Euro car parts (the normal parts..not fancy electronic components for that super duper teleportation device...) are actually not pricey at the source. In Japan, the (standard) front brake pads for a F30 3 series is about 8000yen. Front pads for a Corolla sedan of the same vintage is about 7400yen (for the Toyota part, Toyota's subsidiary DriveJoy has i for 5000yenish). 

As always, it is the screwed up market dynamics and policies that has gotten us in to this mess. We yelled open economy market this, Open economy market that and just blindly opened the flood gates and screwed everything up. But here is the kicker, prices of parts are going to go up even higher ! With controlled foreign payment mechanisms, floating exchange rates, etc...its unreasonable to expect anything else. Like I always have said..rather than go around begging 3rd rate Indian and Chinese gasoline car makers to establish production plants for dying gasoline cars, the country should have focussed more on establishing production plants for gasoline and EV cars (along with R&D and production plants for the latter).

13 hours ago, Rasika Praz Silva said:

hi Gents

Who you are insured with your Honda Civic? Also, where do you take normally to smash repairs. Well sadly my Mrs smash car in to pole today😣 I tow the car to Staford repair and I am with SLIC. 

Sad to hear that :( I recently got a paint job done on my front bumper from Stafford (mine is a 8th gen Civic) and they seemed to have done a pretty good job. This was the first time I got their services for a paint job and seemed far better when compared to all the other painting places I have been to which all quoted a premium for paint jobs (and didn't do a fully satisfying job). 

11 hours ago, fiat fan said:

but at least you can hold them responsible.

Like @fiat fan says, go with them at least you can hold them accountable.

On a side note..

Repair prices have drastically increased at Stafford and all other agents along with the prices of parts and other consumables like engine oil etc. When I got my car a cost of full service at Stafford used to be around LKR 12k and now I learn its around 27k for the same after 6 years. And like @Hyaenidae has mentioned the cost of engine oil have doubled and same goes for gear oil as well.. so yeah inflation has hit Sri Lanka hard nowadays :( Not the best time to own a car it seems or to live for that matter

Edited by Dee Jay

Take it to stafford if the insurance pays you. Most of these “experts” with big names will charge you top dollar for it,but the job done is subpar.

SLIC is ok from what I hear(I have mine with them too,but praying to God that I don't have to use them.

Another member took his car to a very reputable Honda Repair shop and he payed close to 8 lacks for a very shoddy job. I’ll link that thread below.

I never had personal experience with Stafford when it comes to body work, but at least you can hold them responsible. The “expert” fellows start using the “yako” and “kunu harapa” once you pay them. They also make it a point to shame you on social media for there stupidity.

Read this thread- 

ah, thanks mate. Exactly same as above,  see below. F@34kkkkkk not sure how much going cost this from 

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-01 at 3.46.02 PM.jpeg

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, Rasika Praz Silva said:

ah, thanks mate. Exactly same as above,  see below. F@34kkkkkk not sure how much going cost this from 

GvEpQnIl.jpg

oh my god omg GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Hope the insurance will cover the cost - c******o have this stipulation which after 4 years of the manufactured date they wouldn't pay 100% for brand new parts, you have to either go for recon parts or bear 35% of the cost of the brand new part yourself. Hope that's not the case with SLIC because at least the bumper, LH headlight and foglight seems to need replacing.

Keep us updated how it goes... 

On 4/30/2022 at 10:52 PM, Hyaenidae said:

Just learned a 4L can of 10W30 Valvoline engine oil which used to cost 6800LKR now costs 13k

alright-im-gonna-go-cry.gif 

Welcome to my world. Mobil esp 5w30 1 liter was 4980 in jan. Now it’s 8000 a liter.

On 5/1/2022 at 5:18 PM, Rasika Praz Silva said:

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-01 at 3.46.02 PM.jpeg

😢 same place too. Take it easy bro, Thats life. Take it to stafford. These new cars with sensors are a pain to fix.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:01 PM, Hyaenidae said:

oh my god omg GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Hope the insurance will cover the cost - c******o have this stipulation which after 4 years of the manufactured date they wouldn't pay 100% for brand new parts, you have to either go for recon parts or bear 35% of the cost of the brand new part yourself. Hope that's not the case with SLIC because at least the bumper, LH headlight and foglight seems to need replacing.

Keep us updated how it goes... 

I think it’s 10 years for SLIC.

plus if your registration book says “reconditioned” you might not get the full amount.

Anyway insurance companies try to not pay you the full when- you go for the agents or go for brand new parts. Even with newer/fancy cars they try to pull this.

• Like 1

How has your insurance renewal worked out so far? Mine just came up for renewal and they asked to value it at 9Mn or face an undervalue penalty during claims (my previous valuation was 7Mn). All in all the premium is up by ~40k this year compared to the last. I’m with A*****z. C******o quoted around 125k at a 7Mn valuation. This is getting really expensive now.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, misnad said:

How has your insurance renewal worked out so far? Mine just came up for renewal and they asked to value it at 9Mn or face an undervalue penalty during claims (my previous valuation was 7Mn). All in all the premium is up by ~40k this year compared to the last. I’m with A*****z. C******o quoted around 125k at a 7Mn valuation. This is getting really expensive now.

I have not heard anything from my insurer, SLIC  such chagne. Who are you with, mate?

8 hours ago, misnad said:

I got the same call from SL*C to increase the valuation to - 9mn as well. im awaiting the quotation to see whether to take the call ot keep it as is. around how much your total comes to?

17 hours ago, Rasika Praz Silva said:

I have not heard anything from my insurer, SLIC  such chagne. Who are you with, mate?

Been with Alllianz for ages.. the final quote at 9mn valuation is 132k! It was 118k at 7mn so the whole core premium has shot up. I recall there was some kind of added tax enforced on insurance companies, however it looks like they're passing it on to customers now. To think my 2021 premium was 84k. At this rate with fuel being scarce and the cost of owning a vehicle ever increasing, it might be good to buy a bicycle! :D

6 hours ago, misnad said:

Been with Alllianz for ages.. the final quote at 9mn valuation is 132k! It was 118k at 7mn so the whole core premium has shot up. I recall there was some kind of added tax enforced on insurance companies, however it looks like they're passing it on to customers now. To think my 2021 premium was 84k. At this rate with fuel being scarce and the cost of owning a vehicle ever increasing, it might be good to buy a bicycle! :D

Sadly this is only the beginning....with bail-outs and reform will be serious austerity measures put in place which means cars are a very very very low priority in the grand scheme of things...so we are all looking at restricted imports, which will drag up the prices of cars even further which will have an impact on valuation, then there is the whole paying of true market value for fuel (so no more subsidized fuel for general use). There are plenty of cars coming up for sale on the usual sites. I am guessing its is because people cannot afford to or have no need for the vehicles anymore.

True.. with the 30% interest rates + scare and expensive OCT95 + sky rocketing maintenance cost + Scarcity of parts.. a blend that ideally should drive the prices low. However, even if the imports resumed, the same car costed 5mn will cost over 10mn due to LKR depreciation. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 10:14 PM, fiat fan said:

Sorry for the late reply. When I checked last time, high pressure pump was like 225K and an injector was about 117K at the agents (after discount they are willing to sell injectors at 88K each and pump for 190K). However recon pump was there for 95K and injectors for about 35K from a guy who imports used Korean parts. Ajan**a motors sells brand new injector for 56K. So buying outside the agents is so much cheaper in my opinion.

This was last year and prices could have gone up now with the shitty situation now and parts are getting rarer by the day. Those prices are for the 2009-12 XM model.

Edited by hrm