• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

Hi all, today my car has a weird accident. 

Yesterday I parked the car at the apartment car part with rear of the car exposed to the sky and rest under a slab. a Crow carrying a piece of bone has dropped it from quite far up in the sky on to my car. the impact point was the rear windscreen. Although the impact was on left top most corner of the glass, the entire glass is fully shattered. Luckily I had witnesses to corroborate this incident. My insurance will cover the cost, but my problem is where to find the rear windscreen. 

Tried contacting the company, but couldn't get thru to the parts division

Galle windscreen Centre said they have the glass and offered to bring it to the place and fix, not sure how reliable their products are.(their price was 45k)

Please let me know if you know any other contacts who have reconditioned or brandnew windscreens for Civic Sedan 2018 Thailand Manufactured, Australian version.

Have an update on this.

Stafford said they are out of stock and previously sold it for 250k. They also mentioned someone else has a Thailand windscreen for 125k. However I managed to find a replacement grass from Galle Windscreen Centre for 50k and got it replaced. they visited my place and completed the job also. pretty satisfied I am.

On 7/3/2022 at 12:20 AM, tinyman said:

Hi all, today my car has a weird accident. 

Yesterday I parked the car at the apartment car part with rear of the car exposed to the sky and rest under a slab. a Crow carrying a piece of bone has dropped it from quite far up in the sky on to my car. the impact point was the rear windscreen. Although the impact was on left top most corner of the glass, the entire glass is fully shattered. Luckily I had witnesses to corroborate this incident. My insurance will cover the cost, but my problem is wheare to find the rear windscreen. 

Tried contacting the company, but couldn't get thru to the parts division

Galle windscreen Centre said they have the glass and offered to bring it to the place and fix, not sure how reliable their products are.(their price was 45k)

Please let me know if you know any other contacts who have reconditioned or brandnew windscreens for Civic Sedan 2018 Thailand Manufactured, Australian version.

13 hours ago, tinyman said:

Stafford said they are out of stock and previously sold it for 250k. They also mentioned someone else has a Thailand windscreen for 125k

What is the difference between the glass from Thailand vs. the one from Japan ? What a lot of people do NOT realise is that even if a specific model is ASSEMBLED in Japan, some of the parts/sub components will be imported from other countries. e.g. the Toyota Noah/Voxy. Although it is a Japan only model some parts come from Thailand (so everytime Thailand had floods and the factories their close down delivery of th Noah/Voxy got delayed).

So...are you sure that even if the windscreen is shipped out of Japan (from the Honda part depot in Japan) that the windscreen itself is made in Japan ? Also, even if it was made in Thailand, the windscren has to meet specific safetyand quality requirements so they both are more or less the same (especially with modern cars where the manufacturers are going for global models like with the new CIvic, Corolla, etc..).

So people need to get over ths whole mentality of if it is from Japan it is good and from anywhere else it is not good. That stopped being true n the early 90s. This is a mentality created by car parts dealers so that they can make a larger profit, and the flooding of the market with fake products. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - Hence my tyres had acting up for a while now, time has come for replacement. its not the best time economically though, but since the prices keep going up continuously thought of replacing now.

The best deal i've come across is for Federal EVOLUZION ST 1 with respectable ratings & reviews(i've seen some past recommendations on the forum it self for these). got'em for 47K each(from ty*eshoponline.lk) which seems a better deal comparing to the current prices. what you guys think?

Edited by NemesisArc

1 hour ago, NemesisArc said:

Quick update - Hence my tyres had acting up for a while now, time has come for replacement. its not the best time economically though, but since the prices keep going up continuously thought of replacing now.

The best deal i've come across is for Federal EVOLUZION ST 1 with respectable ratings & reviews(i've seen some past recommendations on the forum it self for these). got'em for 47K each(from ty*eshoponline.lk) which seems a better deal comparing to the current prices. what you guys think?

I feel your pain. I was lucky to have changed the worn ones to Continental in Jan. Was considering Federal ST1 as an alternative as it is a really good tyre. Good grip and low rolling resistance. It was 27k per donut back then. If I didn’t get Continental, that would’ve been my next choice. Saw reviews that the sidewall is a little thin though so cornering at speed isn’t recommended. Then again, no chance of doing that with our fuel situ so I’d say go for it.

2 hours ago, NemesisArc said:

Check with car guys Kohuwala also. Their prices "were" reasonable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misnad said:

I feel your pain. I was lucky to have changed the worn ones to Continental in Jan. Was considering Federal ST1 as an alternative as it is a really good tyre. Good grip and low rolling resistance. It was 27k per donut back then. If I didn’t get Continental, that would’ve been my next choice. Saw reviews that the sidewall is a little thin though so cornering at speed isn’t recommended. Then again, no chance of doing that with our fuel situ so I’d say go for it.

Thanks @misnad. yeah thats what i thought too. what they have are 2021-Aug manufactured. hope thats fine.

Guess the Continentals are a much better choice? but no way icould afford'em with current rates.

7 hours ago, NemesisArc said:

Thanks @misnad. yeah thats what i thought too. what they have are 2021-Aug manufactured. hope thats fine.

Guess the Continentals are a much better choice? but no way icould afford'em with current rates.

No worries! Yup, that’s perfectly fine and even 2-3 year old brand new tyres are good. Mine were about 6 months+ old since the date of manufacture. Tyre age only starts to matter from the date they’re fitted and used as the load and other conditions start impacting it. Michelin claims that tyres don’t have an expiry date when not mounted: https://paultan.org/2019/09/26/are-new-tyres-stored-for-2-3-years-expired-goods/

The Continentals are pretty awesome and noise-free, however I still love the softer drive of the Michelins. The Federal Evoluzion tyres are pretty decent though and are supposedly comfy.

I go by this site for reviews: https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Federal/Evoluzion-ST-1.htm

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, misnad said:

No worries! Yup, that’s perfectly fine and even 2-3 year old brand new tyres are good. Mine were about 6 months+ old since the date of manufacture. Tyre age only starts to matter from the date they’re fitted and used as the load and other conditions start impacting it. Michelin claims that tyres don’t have an expiry date when not mounted: https://paultan.org/2019/09/26/are-new-tyres-stored-for-2-3-years-expired-goods/

The Continentals are pretty awesome and noise-free, however I still love the softer drive of the Michelins. The Federal Evoluzion tyres are pretty decent though and are supposedly comfy.

I go by this site for reviews: https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Federal/Evoluzion-ST-1.htm

Good to hear theres no EXP date - same i found online while researching too. although the stored conditions might be a deciding factor?! 🤷‍♂️

Thats the same site i've refered for reviews too. that's it then. will be going for it & update once they are on!

Have a great day!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NemesisArc said:

Good to hear theres no EXP date - same i found online while researching too. although the stored conditions might be a deciding factor?! 🤷‍♂️

Thats the same site i've refered for reviews too. that's it then. will be going for it & update once they are on!

Have a great day!

All the best! Btw if you’re using AlloyGators or any rim guards, make sure to mark the exact wheel each one belongs to. It’s a royal pain getting them to fit onto the wrong wheel. It shouldn’t matter, but it does since there are slight imperfections that can cause a non-fit.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, misnad said:

All the best! Btw if you’re using AlloyGators or any rim guards, make sure to mark the exact wheel each one belongs to. It’s a royal pain getting them to fit onto the wrong wheel. It shouldn’t matter, but it does since there are slight imperfections that can cause a non-fit.

Yeah i saw your comment on'em on an earlier post too. i dont have'em on. thanks for the heads-up anyway. will help others.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, ytheekshana said:

Hi. Would it be a good idea to replace the stock 17 inch alloys with a 19 inch. Would it damage the suspension?, would it reduce riding comfort? Is there any other considerations? I have a 2018 Tech pack hatchback.

Well...if that is what you want...sure...

Would it damage your suspension ? Well..depends on the final rolling circumference of the wheels. If both the 17 and 19 inch wheels are the same then there wont be any issue. Mot cars have a certain level of toleance so within that tolerance you will be fine.

Reduce ride comfort..yes...because now you will have a smaller tire wall to absorb bump and stuff. 

9 hours ago, ytheekshana said:

Hi. Would it be a good idea to replace the stock 17 inch alloys with a 19 inch. Would it damage the suspension?, would it reduce riding comfort? Is there any other considerations? I have a 2018 Tech pack hatchback.

Damage - Not necessarily.

Reduce Comfort - Yes You'll be reducing the profile of the tyres. 

Have a read on this 

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/18s-or-19s.1649/

Edited by matroska

Hi guys,

I recently noticed that the 1.5L sedan has duel exhaust pipes vs 1L sedan has single exhaust. I have not come across this anywhere in the reviews or it may not be an important consideration.

Would be interesting to discuss any other not so known variations between the models apart from these.

5 hours ago, tinyman said:

Hi, I think its time to replace the wiper blades or replace the wiper rubber in my Civic. Stafford quoted north of 7k for the rubber few months ago. Any other places to buy a decent wiper/ wiper refill rubber.

Got my Bosch Clear Advantage wipers with the frame from Daraz and was around 4k each. Works a charm. Couldn’t find replacement rubber to fit those wiper sizes unfortunately 

24 minutes ago, misnad said:

Got my Bosch Clear Advantage wipers with the frame from Daraz and was around 4k each. Works a charm. Couldn’t find replacement rubber to fit those wiper sizes unfortunately 

You should try with Srikantha Motors, Panchikawatte. NWB produces refills for Hondas. Cheers!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tinyman said:

Hi guys,

I recently noticed that the 1.5L sedan has duel exhaust pipes vs 1L sedan has single exhaust. I have not come across this anywhere in the reviews or it may not be an important consideration.

Would be interesting to discuss any other not so known variations between the models apart from these.

another obvious difference is that 1.0L got 3 cylinders vs the 1.5L got 4 cylinders.
Also 1.0L is only produced for UK and Turkey and 1.5L is manufactured at many plants worldwide.

I was hoping to find a similar thread for Montero Sports 2012 in the forums, to help a colleague to find a harness for his vehicle. Unfortunately, not all the vehicle owners are lucky enough to have a dedicated thread in the forum it seems.

By the way, if you guys know any places to get hold of harnesses, and inhibitor switches for the Montero Sports please do let me know..

On 10/4/2022 at 4:50 PM, tinyman said:

I was hoping to find a similar thread for Montero Sports 2012 in the forums, to help a colleague to find a harness for his vehicle. Unfortunately, not all the vehicle owners are lucky enough to have a dedicated thread in the forum it seems.

By the way, if you guys know any places to get hold of harnesses, and inhibitor switches for the Montero Sports please do let me know..

@tivis the expert on Monteros and Montero Sports :) 

On 10/4/2022 at 4:50 PM, tinyman said:

There is a facebook group, Montero Sports Enthusiasts Club of Sri Lanka, join that, 

there are a few freelance importers of parts for the montero sport. You ll surely find your part there.

31 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

@tivis the expert on Monteros and Montero Sports :) 

Thank you, not the expert but on the job trainee during ownership!

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1