• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer EX Running Repairs and Maintenance

trinity

@De_ja_vu Pretty sure your car isn't burning oil. If it was burning 85% of oil within 5000km, there would be obvious signs. My guess is that they either under-filled oil, or the method you're using to check the oil level is not quite right.

As soon as oil is poured into the engine, it may usually show an incorrect reading, so the common practice is to know the oil requirement of the car and fill slightly less than that amount. Wait for a couple of minutes for the oil to settle and then check the dipstick to ensure the level is OK. It's also a good idea to check the oil level the following morning to ensure its alright. 

When you're checking your oil level, make sure that your car is parked on flat ground and wait for the engine to cool down and for the oil to settle. Checking oil immediately after a trip is guaranteed to show a lower than normal level. Check your owner's manual for more info. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Looks like I have missed quite a lot in this thread. It's been a while since my last post.Hope you guys are safe and sound and getting used to new normal.I have done quite a few repairs on my Car and thought of giving you short versions with Pics.

Replaced Rear tyres- This was done last year, I was looking for same Nankang S20 tyres as my front However due to unavailability of stocks I settled with Kenda Vezda Set (225*45*18). Not as impressive as the Nankang tyres but gets the job done.

Tyres Cost-46,000Rs
Wheel balancing and alignment-1,700rs.

An Engine oil leak was repaired- At first I thought this was from the Oil pan itself. However digging deeper the leak was actually from the Oil pressure plug.Since this needed to be addressed quickly I went ahead with a Local Pressure plug for just 450bucks. Needed some ground work to get this properly fixed though.

Replaced Rear brake shoes- My rear brake shoes were on their way out.This was spotted at routine service. Mitsubishi part Num- 4600A028. Roamed around kandy to find the parts,After a few errand runs found the exact match with a Nissan Bluebird shoes set (Model-JFBK KN-1267). Took both Rear brake drums to a lathe shop and smoothen the inner surfaces before fitting the shoes.

Brake shoes- 5,000Rs
Lathe shop labour charge-1,000rs
Fitting labour charge- 2,500rs

Radiator Cap Essay was damaged and was replaced- Coolant was literally storming from the cap after about 3km run with AC on. As a temporary measure used Elephant Epoxy Adhesive to seal the leak. in the meantime ordered Cap-Assay- Radiator (Mitsubishi Part Num 1350A043) from Amayama for 10k including shipping. Arrived exactly after 2 weeks.Fitted and No more leaks. The old Cap Assay was in really bad shape and literally Cracks were visible inside.

With the exception of the Tyre replacement all the other services were done at home by my trusted mechanic. Yeah I am lucky to have the luxury of having a home visiting mechanic. overall a Very good learning experience for me as well.

Signing out. Drive safe guys.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.JPG

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/23/2021 at 7:29 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

Hey Guys,

Looks like I have missed quite a lot in this thread. It's been a while since my last post.Hope you guys are safe and sound and getting used to new normal.I have done quite a few repairs on my Car and thought of giving you short versions with Pics.

Replaced Rear tyres- This was done last year, I was looking for same Nankang S20 tyres as my front However due to unavailability of stocks I settled with Kenda Vezda Set (225*45*18). Not as impressive as the Nankang tyres but gets the job done.

Tyres Cost-46,000Rs
Wheel balancing and alignment-1,700rs.

An Engine oil leak was repaired- At first I thought this was from the Oil pan itself. However digging deeper the leak was actually from the Oil pressure plug.Since this needed to be addressed quickly I went ahead with a Local Pressure plug for just 450bucks. Needed some ground work to get this properly fixed though.

Replaced Rear brake shoes- My rear brake shoes were on their way out.This was spotted at routine service. Mitsubishi part Num- 4600A028. Roamed around kandy to find the parts,After a few errand runs found the exact match with a Nissan Bluebird shoes set (Model-JFBK KN-1267). Took both Rear brake drums to a lathe shop and smoothen the inner surfaces before fitting the shoes.

Brake shoes- 5,000Rs
Lathe shop labour charge-1,000rs
Fitting labour charge- 2,500rs

Radiator Cap Essay was damaged and was replaced- Coolant was literally storming from the cap after about 3km run with AC on. As a temporary measure used Elephant Epoxy Adhesive to seal the leak. in the meantime ordered Cap-Assay- Radiator (Mitsubishi Part Num 1350A043) from Amayama for 10k including shipping. Arrived exactly after 2 weeks.Fitted and No more leaks. The old Cap Assay was in really bad shape and literally Cracks were visible inside.

With the exception of the Tyre replacement all the other services were done at home by my trusted mechanic. Yeah I am lucky to have the luxury of having a home visiting mechanic. overall a Very good learning experience for me as well.

Signing out. Drive safe guys.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.JPG

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.jpg

Glad to hear from you after while. Thats some useful info you've shared especially about the brake shoes and radiator cap. I also had some repairs done to the car during last few weeks. Didn't have time to update the thread but I will do so by tomorrow.

Nice photo at the end.Always happy to see another Lancer.

Cheers!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trinity said:

Glad to hear from you after while. Thats some useful info you've shared especially about the brake shoes and radiator cap. I also had some repairs done to the car during last few weeks. Didn't have time to update the thread but I will do so by tomorrow.

Nice photo at the end.Always happy to see another Lancer.

Thanks Mate. Eagerly awaiting to read your updates as well. I Cant believe I am nearing almost 3 years of ownership with the car. Feels like I bought this only yesterday. Time flies. Cheers.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 2:08 PM, Jor-el said:

So, 95 octane broke the 200LKR barrier... anyone else contemplating going for 92 octane?

I use 92 time to time. My car is a daily runner. In average I drive about 1700kms per month and hence I consume about 170 liters monthly. Cant say that I've noticed any differences with performance nor fuel consumption figures. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jor-el said:

@K.o.N.o.S you've been running on 92 right? any noticeable issues? 

Been using 95 for majority of my ownership. I can remember few instances where I had to pump 92 due to unavailability of 95. I did not feel any differences though.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Been using 95 for majority of my ownership. I can remember few instances where I had to pump 92 due to unavailability of 95. I did not feel any differences though.

Yeah, I too am pretty much decided on switching to 92 at this point.

Apparently Harry pumped 90 and had no issues back then

On 3/15/2013 at 2:41 PM, Harry (aq) said:

Here are the details for my My New Car

Vehicle : Lancer Ex 2008

Engine Capacity : 1500cc

Transmission Type : Manual

Fuel : Petrol (90 Octain)

Fuel Consumption : 12-13 Km/l City , 15.5-16.5 Km/l out station (Max was 18 Km/l Collombo - Puttalam)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, trinity said:

In average I drive about 1700kms

Wow that's around 55kms per-day.I bought the car about 3years ago with 109k on the clock. My current mileage is around 128k. I drive about 400-500kms per month.

2 minutes ago, Jor-el said:

Yeah, I too am pretty much decided on switching to 92 at this point.

Yeah if you are daily runner this makes sense from cost standpoint. However Manufacturer strictly recommends using 95 octane for Lancer ex. So I have this paranoia that if i use 92 regularly then it will ruin the engine in the long run. 😁

15 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Wow that's around 55kms per-day.I bought the car about 3years ago with 109k on the clock. My current mileage is around 128k. I drive about 400-500kms per month.

I also bought the car 3 years ago with 107k on the clock. Now its over 180k.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Yeah if you are daily runner this makes sense from cost standpoint. However Manufacturer strictly recommends using 95 octane for Lancer ex. So I have this paranoia that if i use 92 regularly then it will ruin the engine in the long run. 😁

I dont think so. But its always best to use the car according the the manufacturer recommendations. 

• Like 1

AFAIK both engines Lancer EXs equipped with (4A91, 4A92) are capable of running on 90 octane and above with no adverse effects other than reduced performance and fuel economy if you go lower than 95 octane; Otherwise we wouldn't see EXs pushing 250,000kms in SL with the original engine still in good condition - we all know not every fuel station is honest about their 95 octane petrol after all

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

Got me some brake pads and shoes... still running on originals and quite sure I have atleast 10k-20k kms left on them if not more, but can't hurt to have some replacements handy

j2J1mQ9.jpg

Total cost was ~35,000LKR with shipping and taxes. Front brake pad set Mitsubishi part #4605A261, equivalent Brembo part #P54030N, Rear brake shoes set Mitsubishi part #4600A028 OEM (Akebono)

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 12:59 AM, K.o.N.o.S said:

Apparently this is a common issue in the series. There's a forged aluminium version of the part (aftermarket of course) that I've seen a lot of people use. 

On 12/21/2021 at 7:38 PM, Jor-el said:

So, 95 octane broke the 200LKR barrier... anyone else contemplating going for 92 octane?

On 12/23/2021 at 2:52 AM, K.o.N.o.S said:

On 12/22/2021 at 9:23 PM, trinity said:

I use 92 time to time. My car is a daily runner. In average I drive about 1700kms per month and hence I consume about 170 liters monthly. Cant say that I've noticed any differences with performance nor fuel consumption figures. 

On 12/25/2021 at 9:20 PM, Hyaenidae said:

AFAIK both engines Lancer EXs equipped with (4A91, 4A92) are capable of running on 90 octane and above with no adverse effects other than reduced performance and fuel economy if you go lower than 95 octane; Otherwise we wouldn't see EXs pushing 250,000kms in SL with the original engine still in good condition - we all know not every fuel station is honest about their 95 octane petrol after all

The issue with 92 octane fuel in SL is that quality is highly questionable. In comparison 95 is safer IMO because according to my knowledge, it conforms to Euro 4 emissions standards. IOC used to have a Euro 3 variant of petrol which used to be only slightly more expensive than the base 92. That's what I used on my CS3 back in the day.

Modern day petrol is not plain old gasoline anymore. It's a chemical that consists of additives for lubricating, rust prevention etc. Is there an independent body in SL that tests the quality of petrol? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Yeah. Powder coated black too. Looks better. 

I must correct myself. It's not forged aluminium. Still heaps better than the plastic one though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davy said:

Apparently this is a common issue in the series. There's a forged aluminium version of the part (aftermarket of course) that I've seen a lot of people use

Yes, IMO still not bad considering that I have replaced the cap essay after almost 10 years (according to the maintenance records that I have).