• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Consumption Comparison

VWvortex

Hi All

My first post on AL. Just wanted to comment on the observation that a full tank of petrol gives better mileage. Could it be that with a full tank the petrol is less likely to slosh around in the tank and thereby decrease the evaporation? Petrol does evaporate quite easily. Does this make sense??

Also, most people claim their Vios's do about 12 in Colombo. Guess thats all just a sales pitch huh!!

Edited by Rebel

406 1.8 8v Manual - I do calculate with each full tank throughout a period of one year

Outstations figures are unbelievable

figure was14.5 kmpl

Col - Kataragama with 1 passenger and luggage return figure was 14 kmpl

bit foxed with almost doubled up figures in outstation and checked with a foreman @ agents and i've been told that there are 406s does about 12 city and 15 outstations.

Bigger engines - open roads+ 5th gear ( OD) = lower RPM = better mileage as these cars are designed for those type of roads IMHO.

I am glad that the vios / yaris figures seem reasonable as I have guys who tell me they have Yaris / vios which they claim does 17 KMPL !!!!

great to see the real world numbers for a change.

BTW looking at some of the supposedly "Good on Fuel" cars , getting 8 per litre on my "luxobarge" seems worth it eh ? Lol. VFM motoring .

Also she did over 11 per litre on my recent High speed run to the Hills.....

Hi All

My first post on AL. Just wanted to comment on the observation that a full tank of petrol gives better mileage. Could it be that with a full tank the petrol is less likely to slosh around in the tank and thereby decrease the evaporation? Petrol does evaporate quite easily. Does this make sense??

Also, most people claim their Vios's do about 12 in Colombo. Guess thats all just a sales pitch huh!!

well i agree with your comment on vaporisation. but unless you got a trip computer there's no way of telling how much fuel u've used unless you brim the tank. so most of the figures you achieve by topping up your tank half way are innacurate. not that your car does badly on fuel when the tank is mostly empty. its just its very hard to calculate the amount of fuel you've used accurately. but then again say you are driving around in a car that weighs 800 kgs and has a 45 litre tank. if you brim it as opposed to driving around with just 5 litres in the tank (which should be enough for a couple of trips to town) the weight of your car is increased by around 5%. and thats the equivalent of carrying an extra 12 year old in the car. so that'll definitely have an effect on your economy and performance.

and the vios can do 12 km/l in colombo. provided its a manual and you keep the revs way below 2000 rpm on every gear. you can get any car to achieve unbelievable fuel figures if you can drive very carefully.

Hi guys,

Does any one know about New Mazda Familia's fuel consumption in both 1300cc and 1500cc?

and fuel efficiencies of Lancer CS1 both carb and EFI engines (both 1300 and 1500)?

Cheers

Harry(aq)

Dear Friends,

Can you please put out what the fuel consumpition of Toyota Townace Diesel 2C engine, Diesel 3C engine,3c Turbo and 1700cc Pertol Engine.

Thanks

Edited by thusithasam

2001 Corolla 121 1.5L Auto

Over 500km per full tank in Colombo - Around 11.36 to 11.9KM/L

Over 700km per full tank out of Colombo - Around 15.90 to 16.6KM/L

AC on at all times. Usually run at off peak times in Colombo.

My tank fills up at around 42 to 44 liters. Based on one years usage.

but how do you know exactly how much petrol was in the tank before you started and exactly how much was left over at the point you're starting/ending your milage count

but how do you know exactly how much petrol was in the tank before you started and exactly how much was left over at the point you're starting/ending your milage count

what i do is i brim the tank. set the trip meter to 0. and when im filling up again i brim the tank and divide number of kms by the number of litres pumped in. not the most accurate method. but i doubt even the trip computers are that accurate. anyways the corolla has a 50L tank trevene. and surely you and all the other corolla owners can do much better that 16km/l outside colombo.

what i do is i brim the tank. set the trip meter to 0. and when im filling up again i brim the tank and divide number of kms by the number of litres pumped in. not the most accurate method. but i doubt even the trip computers are that accurate. anyways the corolla has a 50L tank trevene. and surely you and all the other corolla owners can do much better that 16km/l outside colombo.

Yep! once checked with my Corolla (1800CC Luxel) Colombo to Matara Trip scored 17Kmpl + figure (95 Oct).

yeah, thats what I tend to do too cos that gives a more realistic figure.. but its not easy doing the other way around, meaning seeing how much milage you get on a single tank, cos you you dont know how much fuel is already in there... and just cos the needle on the dash say the tank is empty it easily could not be so...

Yep! once checked with my Corolla (1800CC Luxel) Colombo to Matara Trip scored 17Kmpl + figure (95 Oct).

thats an awesome feat for a 1.8. i doubt even i can top that :)

yeah, thats what I tend to do too cos that gives a more realistic figure.. but its not easy doing the other way around, meaning seeing how much milage you get on a single tank, cos you you dont know how much fuel is already in there... and just cos the needle on the dash say the tank is empty it easily could not be so...

the fuel gauge has to be the least accurate instrument in the car. for me its even worse cos i don't even have an analog gauge. just 8 lines of which one could disappear anywhere between 50-160 kms and they seem to go disappear faster as the tank goes empty :angry:

with the dollar looking good i might invest on a scan gauge. and then i'll tell you how much of an error margin there is.

With the figures given by the Vios & EG 8s - I have no complain with a Mazda 323 – There is this foolish myth that Mazda’s don’t do well…..

I drive a 1.6 - heavy traffic both ways and 1 passenger – I’m not a clam driver hence constantly raving over 2 specially when overtaking busses.

She does abt 8.5 to 9 in Colombo & abt 13+ outstations – ( ALways with AC - dont belive in going with out it in this LAND LIKE NO OTHER )

I personally feel that’s a good figure - Wat say you guys ??? :action-smiley-035:

Edited by mazdaspeed

thats an awesome feat for a 1.8. i doubt even i can top that :)

Not really. I've calculated the same figure on Madz's Luxel on the Tissa run. With me driving. :) The boss is a little more aggressive on the gas :D

That 1.8 and CVT. Good cruiser. Has its negatives, but certainly does well on the juice.

Toyota Vios 1.5 E (Manual Gear) Only mod a K&N air filter.

Shifting at about 2000RPM (sometimes going up to about 2,600)

daily Running Morning 7 am and evening 4.30 pm (palawatte to green path and vice versa in the evenings)

Engine oil Mobil Synthetic (10W-40 Semi synthetic)

Average Fuel Consumption 10-10.5 Km/l :(

Havent gone out station yet..

Guys is this normal for the vios? most people say it is.. but surely.. shifting at such low RPM's.. it should do better? :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just a correction for my fuel consumption figure of Vios,

After 6 recordings I got an average fuel consumption of Vios (Auto, sensible driving): 11.5 km/l in the city (kandy). Guys, i used the same filling station to minimize the error and used octane 90 petrol. By the way, earlier i found the filling station is also a factor that determines the fuel efficiency of your car (dont be surprised)

vitz

With the figures given by the Vios & EG 8s - I have no complain with a Mazda 323 – There is this foolish myth that Mazda’s don’t do well…..

I drive a 1.6 - heavy traffic both ways and 1 passenger – I’m not a clam driver hence constantly raving over 2 specially when overtaking busses.

She does abt 8.5 to 9 in Colombo & abt 13+ outstations – ( ALways with AC - dont belive in going with out it in this LAND LIKE NO OTHER )

I personally feel that’s a good figure - Wat say you guys ??? :action-smiley-035:

Well you'll have to slow down when the 'new addition' comes neda? :lol:

Hmmm I seem to get better figures as we discussed machang..

Maz 323 1600cc manual.

9 - 9.5 in the city during peak hours - High revs and agressive driving he he.

Have achieved 14.5 going to Habarana.......very early in the morning tho, about 4am 'Yaaaaawwwwwn' :)

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, does anyone know the average figures for a Lancer CK2 both in and out station :)

I have an MX Extra , auto transmission, 1.5l. Does 7-9 kmpl average in Town and 10-12 kmpl outta town. I've noticed the variation to be highly dependant on driving style. Jus want to know if these are the averages for a car like this.

Edited by timmy

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I have Got 1974 Datsun B210 Old fellow doing 14-16 in colombo and above 17 outstation

Very old But going very strong , i have got 1200 CC Datsun engine with 70 BHP single carb hitachi with Dished Pistons, specially for hill country it is awesome ,

thanks

regards

Sumith

hi all,

my ek3 vi auto does about 11 in the city on negambo road rush hours morning and evening.

it does about 14 outstation in my every week trip to kandy

i think it can do better on outsation rides...

1992 EG8 Vti (everything in stock other than mugen exhaust & K&N air intake)

City limits-

8-8.5 in city traffic.

9-10.5 in day to day running in vtec/nonvtec average.

Outstation-

Got 12-13 when i drove to Kurunegala (most of the times rpm is below 3000)

Got 10-11 in a drive to N'Eliya via Gampola ( rev up to 6800 in every chance i got) :)

I have the same car with similar mods+few other mods and runing 95OCT :)

8-9 in city

10-12 in outstation

I achieve these figures even while hitting Vtec(wired a Vtec light :D) and redlining(7000RPM+) first 3 gears at times and cruising on 4th, so I guess i could do much better if I drive within 3000RPM