Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Carina GT AT210 converting transmission from C56 to C160


thushanthatj
 Share

Recommended Posts

Greetings,

I am looking to buy a Carina GT AT210 and there is one available which has its transmission changed from 5 forward to a 6 forward transmission. My question is, it is possible to change the gearbox to a 6 forward without changing ECU etc? Is it a straight clean swap? Thanks for helping out. Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dear Friend,

For your car there is no electronically controlled functions for D. ECU is only connected to ECT modes. What is happening in the auto gear box is changing gears based on the governor valve and the throttle valve. So I think there is no electronically incompatibility if ECT modes are same. 

Edited by Ted
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2020 at 12:37 PM, thushanthatj said:

Noted thanks iRage. Can you also please reccomend me a place to do a port and polish. Thanks.

Contact the guys at D.C automart they may be able to help you with a port & polish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2020 at 9:29 AM, thushanthatj said:

Greetings,

I am looking to buy a Carina GT AT210 and there is one available which has its transmission changed from 5 forward to a 6 forward transmission. My question is, it is possible to change the gearbox to a 6 forward without changing ECU etc? Is it a straight clean swap? Thanks for helping out. Cheers.

 

On 4/15/2020 at 3:51 PM, Ted said:

My Dear Friend,

For your car there is no electronically controlled functions for D. ECU is only connected to ECT modes. What is happening in the auto gear box is changing gears based on the governor valve and the throttle valve. So I think there is no electronically incompatibility if ECT modes are same. 

@Ted feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but i don't recall there being a 6 speed automatic option on the AT/CT210 generation to begin with so @thushanthatj was likely referring to the C160 transmission that came with the Silver or Black Top 4AGE's?

@iRage weren't the automatics also 4 speed + OD or was that the AT190 generation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The T210 series GT came with the 4A-GE blacktop engine。The pre-facelif came with a 5FWD C56 gearbox (some came with the C57 gearbox) or a 4 speed (+OD) A245E automatic gearbox. With the facelift the C56 was replaced with the 6FWD C160 gearbox and the A245E was updated to be the A246E transmission. 

Is your Carina a prefacelift GT ? In which case 5 speed probably refers to the C56 manual gearbox. Would love to see pics of it.

Edited by iRage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iRage said:

The T210 series GT came with the 4A-GE blacktop engine。The pre-facelif came with a 5FWD C56 gearbox (some came with the C57 gearbox) or a 4 speed (+OD) A245E automatic gearbox. With the facelift the C56 was replaced with the 6FWD C160 gearbox and the A245E was updated to be the A246E transmission. 

Is your Carina a prefacelift GT ? In which case 5 speed probably refers to the C56 manual gearbox. Would love to see pics of it.

Dude he has not bought it yet I guess... your comment will urge him to buy...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, thushanthatj said:

Hi,

Yes with this lock down could not go and see the car. The seller has changed the engine and gearbox from his his old 4AGE with 5 forward to a new same 4AGE to a 6 forward which came from the facelift version. Here are some pictures.

 

IMG-20200410-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200410-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200410-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20200410-WA0001.jpg

Ah, this car. A nice looking thing but it has been on sale for way too long. Better inspect it throughly with a professional. I Believe the car is in kandy now? 

Would like to hear @iRage's opinion.

Edited by AVANTE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, kadsa98 said:

That looks like it's in all right shape.

That's how every girl looks like until you start dating them

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, thushanthatj said:

? yes very true, she looks nice with the makeup. Yes it's in Kandy and somebody told me that it has met with an accident. Maybe dats the reason he has put a new engine and gearbox. Why would anyone swap a 4AGE with another same engine.

I see. But I have never heard of an accident so bad that the gearbox needed to be changed. Maybe something else is going on. Whatever it is, be cautious. Carina GTs in good nick aren't much around and the price on this one is also too good to be true. 

Not discouraging you, would love to see an enthusiast like you get a nice ride, but best be careful. 

Edited by AVANTE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When he wanted to change the engine he went with the engine and gearbox since it was from the facelift, he got the complete engine and gearbox wire harness together. Anyway that's what he said. Just want to make sure it's in decent shape even with an accident as I will do a engine rebuild with bigger cams and complete exhaust from manifold. Let's see!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thushanthatj said:

When he wanted to change the engine he went with the engine and gearbox since it was from the facelift, he got the complete engine and gearbox wire harness together. Anyway that's what he said. Just want to make sure it's in decent shape even with an accident as I will do a engine rebuild with bigger cams and complete exhaust from manifold. Let's see!

Nice.. Looking forward to that. Best of luck! I wonder if there are any reputable car inspection places in kandy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thushanthatj said:

When he wanted to change the engine he went with the engine and gearbox since it was from the facelift, he got the complete engine and gearbox wire harness together. Anyway that's what he said. Just want to make sure it's in decent shape even with an accident as I will do a engine rebuild with bigger cams and complete exhaust from manifold. Let's see!

My Dear @thushanthatj,

Here are some advises before you buy the vehicle.

1) Check the accident history of the vehicle. This can be easily done if you know an insurance guy who can find information from all the insurance companies. If accident claims has not been requested by the owners then this is not successful. In that case what you have is the genuineness of the owner. His profession, whether he is a car dealer, how long he has used this car.

2) Check whether they have a repair history. Ask from owner to which repair center the car has been gone. You can get the details from such repair centers and also there are some limitations.

3) Second hand market. Since this is a modification, when you are going to sell this car in future, majority will not expect such a modification. In fact there is a minority who love modifications and you might be limited to that group one day.

4) Check Body, Mechanical and Electrical parts of the car. You have to check the mechanical performance of the car. Even though it is a new engine and has done less mileage make some check. First check the engine sound, since this is a new engine there should be no unnecessary noises. Check Idle RPM at warm up, check what happens to RPM when AC is turn on. Check the interior parts are in good condition since these are very rare to find in the market. After warm up by pressing the break pedal move the gear from N to R the gear should be changed within around 1.5 seconds. Do same for N and D and it should be within 1.2 seconds. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, thushanthatj said:

Hi,

Yes with this lock down could not go and see the car. The seller has changed the engine and gearbox from his his old 4AGE with 5 forward to a new same 4AGE to a 6 forward which came from the facelift version. Here are some pictures.

That is a nice looking GT. Good luck with the purchase. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ted said:

My Dear @thushanthatj,

Here are some advises before you buy the vehicle.

1) Check the accident history of the vehicle. This can be easily done if you know an insurance guy who can find information from all the insurance companies. If accident claims has not been requested by the owners then this is not successful. In that case what you have is the genuineness of the owner. His profession, whether he is a car dealer, how long he has used this car.

2) Check whether they have a repair history. Ask from owner to which repair center the car has been gone. You can get the details from such repair centers and also there are some limitations.

3) Second hand market. Since this is a modification, when you are going to sell this car in future, majority will not expect such a modification. In fact there is a minority who love modifications and you might be limited to that group one day.

4) Check Body, Mechanical and Electrical parts of the car. You have to check the mechanical performance of the car. Even though it is a new engine and has done less mileage make some check. First check the engine sound, since this is a new engine there should be no unnecessary noises. Check Idle RPM at warm up, check what happens to RPM when AC is turn on. Check the interior parts are in good condition since these are very rare to find in the market. After warm up by pressing the break pedal move the gear from N to R the gear should be changed within around 1.5 seconds. Do same for N and D and it should be within 1.2 seconds. 

 

Noted.Thank you for the valuable advice.

Edited by thushanthatj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well...I have no opinion...

1. Carina GTs were and are highly sort after. Many of them fell in to the hands of boy ricers/racers and most of them hacked them, crashed them, etc.... so like others have said...check the vehicle IN and OUT. Double check it...triple check it and ge it inspected from every reliable source you can afford to.

2. Accidents are not a bad thing..depends on how severe the accident was and how well it has been fixed. Some of these Carina/Corolla/Ceres GTs were crashed pretty badly and then fixed up by welding two or more cars together. So most of them are poorly repaired with frames still twisted or joined up in the middle, etc...and is a death trap.

3. Why was the engine replaced ? Was it because of the crash (in which case it was a severe crash hat would have compromised the frame)? Was it used quite hard ? A stock 4A-GE engine will last quite a lot of miles if taken care of properly (also depends on how much it was raced though). Again.swapping an engine is not bad....but why ? However the engine was treated..the rest of the car was treated qually bad (or good).

4. As I said..the Carina GT is a highly sort after model especially by enthusiasts..but they always walk away from a badly used one. Might be the reason why this one was on sale for a while (as someone mentioned). However, a properly done conversion is always appreciated and sort after by the enthusiasts.

About the car you are looking at....yes...the car looks straight so the body work looks "ok" from outside (lets be honest the respray is obvious)..but check it through and through. A fun fact...the Carina NEVER came in Black. Black was offered only as a limited option on the Carina GT Pierna. So check if this is an actual Pierna or if this has had a color change. The ones that look black are actually a dark purple and a dark blue (dont be surprised if the book says black even if the color code on the ID plate is not black). So check if the book has been updated for the color.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...