• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Second Time's the Barge! - Camry XV30

MaleCortana

3 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

Nice, but those might have been a different engine config right? (probably the V6s?) not the 2.4L?

Thanks! And yes I think most Camry's I saw here were cloth seats + 2.0 combo but this isn't that high spec as well since its at LE, might have some options ticked though :) 

Whats the highest grade called as there?

Here its called as Grande which only came with the V6

10 hours ago, Magnum said:

Whats the highest grade called as there?

Here its called as Grande which only came with the V6

Not entirely sure, I believe it is LE, XLE etc. 

Grande is the Mark 2 GX110 varient in SL :) 

8 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

I believe it is LE, XLE etc

No..LE and XLE were US market specific grades.

In most export markets (especially Asia)

2.0L =  E, J, G

2.4L = E, G, Q, V

3.0L = G, V

Japan got = G and Touring

E was the base grade in almost all markets and most commonly the base for the taxi variants.

G was the highest grade in most markets, whilst the V was the ultra high grade.

In Australia I beleive it took a whole different shape and form in terms of trim levels because of its popularity and variants...so you got wiers dames like Altis Type, Altise Type, Sportivo Type, etc...and they all had their own slightly different configs.

For the middle east the main grades were GLi and XLi (at times going town to XL).

5 hours ago, iRage said:

No..LE and XLE were US market specific grades.

In most export markets (especially Asia)

2.0L =  E, J, G

2.4L = E, G, Q, V

3.0L = G, V

Japan got = G and Touring

E was the base grade in almost all markets and most commonly the base for the taxi variants.

G was the highest grade in most markets, whilst the V was the ultra high grade.

In Australia I beleive it took a whole different shape and form in terms of trim levels because of its popularity and variants...so you got wiers dames like Altis Type, Altise Type, Sportivo Type, etc...and they all had their own slightly different configs.

For the middle east the main grades were GLi and XLi (at times going town to XL).

Why does this say LE then iRage? This is on ToyoDIY

Capture.JPG

8 minutes ago, iRage said:

Could be that in some European markets they had it as LE and XLE...but I was pretty certain in the UK they had some wierd trims like GLS and CDX or something...

Yep quick search on Gumtree showed weird trims called the CDX

Congratulations on what looks to be a car that's been really well maintained. Due to local mentality - you can find really good 'Barge's for a reasonable price. With a 2400 CC engine I'd guess it gives about 160 horses - that my friend is sweet! 

On 1/22/2021 at 6:00 PM, GK_007 said:

Exactly, and whats wrong with middle aged company secretaries? 😏 

Agreed. Nothing wrong at all in a well maintained specimen. 

On 1/22/2021 at 10:20 PM, MaleCortana said:

Only been to Katana once and that was to pick up my Starlet in August 

say sorry for going OT... Katana and Starlet... Large house, large garden with coconut trees? Did you pick up the starlet from who I think you picked it up from? 

21 hours ago, matroska said:

say sorry for going OT... Katana and Starlet... Large house, large garden with coconut trees? Did you pick up the starlet from who I think you picked it up from? 

It is exactly where you think it is from :) You could say the Zenith of Starlet Status in Sri Lanka ;) 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

1000km with me update (it's only been a month since I bought it as well hehehehe) going to put the car in for some repairs, the following will be done.

Changing all Engine Mounts

Building new Aluminum Radiator Tank (current one has a leak and isn't done really well)

Changing all four shocks

Changing all CVs, Ball Joints, Rack Ends on the front 

Changing all the bushings on the suspensions (front and rear, lower arm bushings etc)

Basically most of the suspension will be replaced, the car became incredibly bouncing and jerky a couple of 100kms into using it because the road down Thalawathugoda is utter crap and full of deathtrap potholes. Thankfully won't be making that trip anymore.

There is a faint rattle as if a screw is loose in its socket when I go over unpaved roads that I think is coming from inside the dashboard. I'm sure changing the suspension will help but is there an individual who will fix that rattle for me? I know its unrealistic to have a 17 year old car void of all rattles and run like brand new, but I want to get it as close as I can be :) also I think I hear a slight rattle in the windows as well. Might be the inner beading that has deteriorated a bit. If anyone could suggest someone to check that out as well?

(I'm sure after reading this you have diagnosed me with crazy but I like driving the car without the radio sometimes listening to the hum of the engine :) , the rattles really piss me off then)

You know...in all fairness...considering the car is 17 years old with quite some miles under its belt...the poblem lies between the steering wheel and th driver's seat 😕 Sadly diagnosing this poblem and rectifying it can be a long and costly process..but then the problem at times just fades away as well.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 12:19 PM, iRage said:

You know...in all fairness...considering the car is 17 years old with quite some miles under its belt...the poblem lies between the steering wheel and th driver's seat 😕 Sadly diagnosing this poblem and rectifying it can be a long and costly process..but then the problem at times just fades away as well.

😢 

Alright there are literally no updates since I still didn't get the car lol (its been three weeks :( ), should be getting it by Tuesday.

But decided to not rebuild a new radiator since the core was actually good for another 2 years ish, so just redid the head.

Caliper pins are to be changed.

Shocks and Shock Mounts changed.

The bolts from all four engine mounts are missing? (wtf moment) anyway swapping the engine mounts so adding the bolts is easy but still unexpected.

Links changed

Brake Fluid changed 

Engine Oil (Toyota 10W30) + Transmission Fluid Changed

All bushings done on the arms

Should take the car for an alignment afterwards, car is absolutely dusty

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also glad to say @iRage, the rattles have gone from inside the dash and on the windows 😛, but then again one would expect that when they spend close to 150k on the suspension 😔. Atleast I saved up on fuel lol since the car was literally parked for a month.

• 1 month later...
Just now, MaleCortana said:

:) 

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 06.33.19.jpeg

Moments before the car washing guy left a scratch on my windscreen, anyone know a nice place to get a tiny hairline scratch fixed? Also can anyone suggest a car wash that doesn't scratch the windscreen? Will P1ink do the job?

• 10 months later...

Finally got her back, went to Darley road to buy some center caps as well because I was missing one. Bought 4 of them altogether so they look nice.

Need to go in 2 weeks to get a cut and polish to get the Onyx Black to really shine. Also yes the front lights were polished and they now look brand new, a 4500 well spent.

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-24 at 5.04.21 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-24 at 5.04.22 PM.jpeg

• Like 4

Things left to do after the cut and polish.

1. Need to tint the car, I'm thinking about a 30% on all four windows and stuff because I want to also show off the interior I keep nicely, definitely not 100%.
2. Need to do a proper interior clean, slight smudges and fingerprints all around the car that I had during the paint and mechanical fixes.

3. There's a side trim that is missing the chrome sticker, I called a sticker shop and they said they'll gladly do it.

And I am missing this tiny "nipple" on one AC vent and I think that should round up the entire restoration of the car.