Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Viva Elite (2011) - Common Issues and General Maintenance


UdiAnu
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, i recently bought 2011 elite. Previous owner did change the engine oil and filter but he didn't change the gear oil , brake oil and power steering oil.He didn't know other owners changed those at the correct time or not. Car done close to 96000Kms now. I know these need to change every 40000Kms. Is it ok to change now? Or is there any way to find the condition of those oil levels?

Edited by iRage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, 

Is it auto or a manual?

If it is auto change the oil with a DEX III ATF.

Also you must change the brake oil with DOT3 specs. Brake oil could be changed when you are replacing the brake pads. 

In case of power steering oil it is not compulsory to change it. Check the colour of the fluid in the reservoir tank. If it is red and not discoloured you don't have to change it.

Also, you must flush the coolant in your radiator at this millage.

 Importantly, Since your car has reached 100K kms immediately replace the timing belt along with the pulleys and the tensioner.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just change it....it is customary to do things like changing timing belt and components (and whilst you are there you might want to check the water pump as well), all fluids, inspect brakes, etc...when you buy a car (especially in SL when you cannot trust service records or mileages).

Also, typically brake fluid replacement is eery 20,000km after the first thre years or so (which is supposed to be 30,000 to 40,000). Some manufacturers recommend 40,000km but as the brake system gets old this is recommended to be lowered.

So yes....change the fluids....change the timing belt and its little pieces. Look for any oil seepage and replace any worn out seals, suspension bushes as well as you movie forward (Timing belt is high priority..the others you can progressively do if that makes more financial sense).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

Here is the Vehicle Maintenance section of Viva Elite users manual. Hope it gives you some necessary information.

image.thumb.png.2f1ccb503e54eae1774a6e7789efb8a3.pngimage.thumb.png.33e676735af19ee9947bd2961438dd32.pngimage.thumb.png.ca528881a15b7b569cb4826185cefcd4.pngimage.thumb.png.b74985f752fd277a114d53cc1101f3c2.pngimage.thumb.png.64b9c94903fbd036c8e9c00c3ef8bb69.pngimage.thumb.png.233d6b3974222649f3bb10523abe81f7.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, peugeot407 said:

Hi, 

Is it auto or a manual?

If it is auto change the oil with a DEX III ATF.

Also you must change the brake oil with DOT3 specs. Brake oil could be changed when you are replacing the brake pads. 

In case of power steering oil it is not compulsory to change it. Check the colour of the fluid in the reservoir tank. If it is red and not discoloured you don't have to change it.

Also, you must flush the coolant in your radiator at this millage.

 Importantly, Since your car has reached 100K kms immediately replace the timing belt along with the pulleys and the tensioner.   

Thank you for your reply.

Its an auto car. Yes im planning to change the oil and coolant as you mentioned. I did change the breakpads and timing belt. Thanks again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, iRage said:

Just change it....it is customary to do things like changing timing belt and components (and whilst you are there you might want to check the water pump as well), all fluids, inspect brakes, etc...when you buy a car (especially in SL when you cannot trust service records or mileages).

Also, typically brake fluid replacement is eery 20,000km after the first thre years or so (which is supposed to be 30,000 to 40,000). Some manufacturers recommend 40,000km but as the brake system gets old this is recommended to be lowered.

So yes....change the fluids....change the timing belt and its little pieces. Look for any oil seepage and replace any worn out seals, suspension bushes as well as you movie forward (Timing belt is high priority..the others you can progressively do if that makes more financial sense).

Thank you for your reply.

Planning to change the fluids soon. I did change the timing belt set but i didnt change the water pump. Honestly, i did not aware of it and the mechanic who check the car also didnt mentioned that. Hope this will be ok for a period. Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 3:26 PM, kusumsiri said:

Hello,

Here is the Vehicle Maintenance section of Viva Elite users manual. Hope it gives you some necessary information.

image.thumb.png.2f1ccb503e54eae1774a6e7789efb8a3.pngimage.thumb.png.33e676735af19ee9947bd2961438dd32.pngimage.thumb.png.ca528881a15b7b569cb4826185cefcd4.pngimage.thumb.png.b74985f752fd277a114d53cc1101f3c2.pngimage.thumb.png.64b9c94903fbd036c8e9c00c3ef8bb69.pngimage.thumb.png.233d6b3974222649f3bb10523abe81f7.png

This is very useful. Thank you for sharing this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

I noticed a small play on my steering wheel. A mechanic checked and told me the issue is on the steering rack. He also told that he can fix this but there is possibility to hardened steering and when U turn , wheel might not turn back to the usual spot after the fix. I did the wheel alignment recently and from there i was informed that i should replace the bushes on the steering rack and then this will get fix. Car drives fine and steering also feels ok. This steering play not bothers me that much when i drive but i need to know this need to fix ASAP or is it ok to drive with this for some period. I saw some owners replaced the steering rack because of rack issues on this thread. I dont want to ended up by replacing the rack because of this. Whats your advice on this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well...obviously you can use the car since what you describe seems to be a small play. In most cars..the initial source of a play can (and most likely will) be worn out bushes. The longer you keep driving with worn out bushes the more degraded it becomes and over ime the play will increase. If unattended for long enough this can obviously lead to greater issues with the steering and suspension setup.

Now..what you need....well it could be just that the bushes need replacing and then after that everything is fine. Simple easy fix... Now...maybe the Viva owners can let you know for certain...it could be that the worn out bushes are the symptoms of the steering rack (going or) gone bad and that the alignment people just saw the worn out bushes without investigating it.
 

I would say go to a proper garage (hopefully someone expereinced with Elites); and get a proper diagnosis (in many ways it was done by the first mechanic...but if you are uncertain you can always get a second opinion). Then see what the final prognosis is...and the cost for repairing it. If it is just a matter of worn out bushes...then change them. Problem solved. If it actually is the rack...you will have to assess the benefits/feasibility of replacing or fixing it now versus later. If the steering rack is actually gone bad and you replace just the bushings, then the fix, if at all, will be just temporary.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, UdiAnu said:

Thank you for your reply.

Planning to change the fluids soon. I did change the timing belt set but i didnt change the water pump. Honestly, i did not aware of it and the mechanic who check the car also didnt mentioned that. Hope this will be ok for a period. Thanks again.

Its not a requirement to change the waterpump....it is just one of those things you do because 10years/100,000km would mean that the water pump might be worn out already or would be something that might wear out in a few years time. They just replace it because it is one of those repairs where you will end up paying 100Rs in time and labor to replace a 5Rs. part.

Nowadays if coolant has been used (instead of water) and the car has not had any heating issues (because of or radiation or blocked cooling channels/lines) then the likelihood of the water pump going bad is very low. In the olden days when water was used all the lines and stuff would get rusty and cause issues reducing life of the water pump and other components. So...since you already did the timing belt change....just forget about it and enjoy the car :)

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a common fault on Viva. There is no point trying to repair it. Used  Daihatsu racks from Japan are freely  available in the market and they offer a slightly better ride quality over the original rack from Malayasia.

Initially, get your car inspected buy a mechanic who is experienced with Vivas. Because replacing the tie rods will be a waste of money if  your steering rack is failing.    Also, Perodua doesn't offer tie rods as separate parts, they offer steering rack and tie rods as one part. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, iRage said:

Its not a requirement to change the waterpump....it is just one of those things you do because 10years/100,000km would mean that the water pump might be worn out already or would be something that might wear out in a few years time. They just replace it because it is one of those repairs where you will end up paying 100Rs in time and labor to replace a 5Rs. part.

Nowadays if coolant has been used (instead of water) and the car has not had any heating issues (because of or radiation or blocked cooling channels/lines) then the likelihood of the water pump going bad is very low. In the olden days when water was used all the lines and stuff would get rusty and cause issues reducing life of the water pump and other components. So...since you already did the timing belt change....just forget about it and enjoy the car :)

Ah ha.Now I Understood. Thanks a lot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...obviously you can use the car since what you describe seems to be a small play. In most cars..the initial source of a play can (and most likely will) be worn out bushes. The longer you keep driving with worn out bushes the more degraded it becomes and over ime the play will increase. If unattended for long enough this can obviously lead to greater issues with the steering and suspension setup.

Now..what you need....well it could be just that the bushes need replacing and then after that everything is fine. Simple easy fix... Now...maybe the Viva owners can let you know for certain...it could be that the worn out bushes are the symptoms of the steering rack (going or) gone bad and that the alignment people just saw the worn out bushes without investigating it.
 

I would say go to a proper garage (hopefully someone expereinced with Elites); and get a proper diagnosis (in many ways it was done by the first mechanic...but if you are uncertain you can always get a second opinion). Then see what the final prognosis is...and the cost for repairing it. If it is just a matter of worn out bushes...then change them. Problem solved. If it actually is the rack...you will have to assess the benefits/feasibility of replacing or fixing it now versus later. If the steering rack is actually gone bad and you replace just the bushings, then the fix, if at all, will be just temporary.

Thanks a lot iRage,

I did few small repairs here and there after the purchase which went well and i satisfied but this seems to be a bit serious. Iam thinking to take the car to Unimo to inspect this case. As i live in Kandy and allmost all of Viva specialized mechanics and garages are located at south and west so i have no other option. I will check the issue, solution, cost and feasibility like you mentioned. Will see what comes next after that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, peugeot407 said:

This is a common fault on Viva. There is no point trying to repair it. Used  Daihatsu racks from Japan are freely  available in the market and they offer a slightly better ride quality over the original rack from Malayasia.

Initially, get your car inspected buy a mechanic who is experienced with Vivas. Because replacing the tie rods will be a waste of money if  your steering rack is failing.    Also, Perodua doesn't offer tie rods as separate parts, they offer steering rack and tie rods as one part. 

Thanks a lot.

Thinking to take the car to Unimo to inspect this case. I have no trust on my initial mechanic on this case as he is not specialized on perodua models. I cannot buy tie rods separately is obviously does not sounds good in this situation. Will see. Ill update the thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, UdiAnu said:

Thanks a lot.

Thinking to take the car to Unimo to inspect this case. I have no trust on my initial mechanic on this case as he is not specialized on perodua models. I cannot buy tie rods separately is obviously does not sounds good in this situation. Will see. Ill update the thread.

Separate tie rods are available but they are not genuine. It will be a low quality Malaysian after market product.

It is a good idea to get your car inspected by the agents

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • iRage changed the title to Viva Elite (2011) - Common Issues and General Maintenance

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...