• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Premio Engine Idle Stop. Do you use it?

RnR

The engine Idle Stop function seems to be a headache sometimes.

Moreover, the Toyota Sales person said to turn it Off all the time.

Have anyone experienced any premature battery issues, Starter motor or Spark plugs issues since you use the idle stop function.?🤔

92f1f5a6d0.jpg

Mine does not have one, since it's from 2013. But I've heard even the option was introduced for fuel saving, it pretty much wears out the engine and battery fast. So better to leave it off. At the same time, if you can get a 2015+ Premio, hope the fuel saving of Rs.100 for a week with auto start stop is not a great saving. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alpha17 said:

Mine does not have one, since it's from 2013. But I've heard even the option was introduced for fuel saving, it pretty much wears out the engine and battery fast. So better to leave it off. At the same time, if you can get a 2015+ Premio, hope the fuel saving of Rs.100 for a week with auto start stop is not a great saving. Hope this helps!

The issue is one can't permanently turn this off. It resets every time you switch off the car.

Unless otherwise you develop this as a habit, you always forget to do this.

That's why I'm asking any first hand experience.

42 minutes ago, RnR said:

The issue is one can't permanently turn this off. It resets every time you switch off the car.

You have to do it again and again, even in a Bimmer f10. Just make it a habbit anyway. I have noticed that compared to a hybrid engine startup, 1NZ-FE engine(premio, allion) auto-start stop startup is similar to a normal startup, with ignition noise.

4 hours ago, RnR said:

The GR Yaris has it too (yes..even sportscars have it now). Some techs and sales people over here have gossiped ith eabout Toyota putting it on to cut down enough emissions to meet existing standards. Whether it actually saves fuel and if it prematurely wears out the engine is dependant on useage patterns. Short, repetitive stop and goes like in heavy traffic is might not be the best for the engine (conventional wisdom dicates it); then with a turbo charged engine after the turbo charger has been building up boost after a relatively long drive and suddenly goes in to stops and starts is also an issue...then right now it is winter so stopping and starting a cold engine is also a problem. So..after talking with cars guys I have decided to  keep my idle stop off (or I make sure I leave the car in gear with the clutch stepped in so the idle stop does not kick in) for most drives..but do turn it on when the enine is heated up and traffic is moderate and runs between stops are obviously moderate (in Japan the color lights are welll timed so you really do not have to stop every 300m from light to light).

Yes, you cannot turn it off permenantly. However,you need to buy a  little bypass switch/dongle to swap the default to off. The thing plugs in to the wire clip and then the switch plugs in to the dongle.

5 hours ago, iRage said:

The GR Yaris has it too (yes..even sportscars have it now). Some techs and sales people over here have gossiped ith eabout Toyota putting it on to cut down enough emissions to meet existing standards. Whether it actually saves fuel and if it prematurely wears out the engine is dependant on useage patterns. Short, repetitive stop and goes like in heavy traffic is might not be the best for the engine (conventional wisdom dicates it); then with a turbo charged engine after the turbo charger has been building up boost after a relatively long drive and suddenly goes in to stops and starts is also an issue...then right now it is winter so stopping and starting a cold engine is also a problem. So..after talking with cars guys I have decided to  keep my idle stop off (or I make sure I leave the car in gear with the clutch stepped in so the idle stop does not kick in) for most drives..but do turn it on when the enine is heated up and traffic is moderate and runs between stops are obviously moderate (in Japan the color lights are welll timed so you really do not have to stop every 300m from light to light).

Yes, you cannot turn it off permenantly. However,you need to buy a  little bypass switch/dongle to swap the default to off. The thing plugs in to the wire clip and then the switch plugs in to the dongle.

Where are those dongles available ?

28 minutes ago, RnR said:

Where are those dongles available ?

I don't know about Sri Lanka, but you can find it on amazon japan and most parts shops in Japan. You could get one online and have it mailed (its quite light) and is nothing but some cables and plastic clips