• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Buy A Used Car In Sri Lanka

Saturn

HI Everyone

I am in the market for a Vezel 2015+. Can you please advise me on some tips to look for when inspecting it? I read the very informative and illustrative, first post (2007). Thank you, by the way for that. But I don't know if know if that can be implemented now 2021 , and will it be valid for a Hybrid?

Please bear with my ignorance, as this will be my 1st vehicle, I am trying to be a bit precautious.

11 hours ago, BLL115 said:

HI Everyone

I am in the market for a Vezel 2015+. Can you please advise me on some tips to look for when inspecting it? I read the very informative and illustrative, first post (2007). Thank you, by the way for that. But I don't know if know if that can be implemented now 2021 , and will it be valid for a Hybrid?

Please bear with my ignorance, as this will be my 1st vehicle, I am trying to be a bit precautious.

The basic principles of buying a car still applies and will apply for time to come...check for accident damage, check documents, look for tampering, maintenance records, etc....and these basic principles apply to any car. Then there is the foundation of it all...go get it properly inspected by a professional service like car checks or the agent or preferably both (they are both good at different things....point to note...the days of taking a baas with you and deciding if you buyit or not are gone...take the baas for the intiail inspection but get it inspected before you put down any money).

What does change is you need to research model specific issues through reliable sources and make sure that those are resolved (or if not resolved, the price reflects the work that needs to be done and that it is not being covered up).

For example....you can search the forum for information about Vezels and you will realise that there are issues with the DCT, the transmission software, and the hybrid system and its other integrated systems going bonkers. So you need to make sure that these have been addressed PROPERLY.  By properly, it means 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 11:59 PM, BLL115 said:

Could you please complete the last sentence:   "By properly, it means..."

HA HA HA..I have no idea what I wanted to say...but if I was to say it now..it would be:

A proper fix means to have the required failed parts replaced with genuine parts. Sometimes, replacing one part requires looking in to other integrated parts as well and that too needs to be looked in to. There are plenty of repair jobs where they do something to turn off warning lights and get the car moving for a quick sale or as a temporary fix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BLL115 said:

😁..

Thanks again, for the suggestions, didn't know that warnings could be turned off..😶

In that case, with your experience, do you think a Scan report would reveal such issues?😥 

SOmetimes replacing just a small part (without actually fixing the issue) or by passing some of the sensors or resetting the ECU and clearing the error codes will clear out the warning indicators. Sometimes people literally put black insulation tape on the meters to cover up the light :) Yes..we Sri Lanksn are so wonderful when it comes to cheating people.

Do a scan...the can might not show any error codes or at the very least show you when the error codes were reset if there were no error codes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BLL115 said:

Thank you for your valuable advice, and the credit given us Sri Lankans.. 😜 

sad but true....we Sri Lankans turn in to different beasts when it comes to cars (let it be driving or trying to make a sale or taking care of one) :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iRage said:

we Sri Lankans turn in to different beasts when it comes to cars

Talk about it! 

The Sri Lankan version of car ownership summarized:

1. Find the car that would make the neighbors' jealous, ticks all the boxes as per your drinking buddies and allows the wife to brag to her friends.

2. Pay unnecessarily high amount for afore mentioned car. But do NOT transfer it to your name. 

3. Find out the previous owner has sold you a lemon at the first service - hate the service guy for mentioning that the car has met with a massive accident never go to that service station again. 

4. Dress it up - but give zero sh*ts about it's drive train. Do the cheap stuff like waxing and washing so much so it looks like Cher with all the make up in the world.  Skip services, use the cheapest replacement parts but make sure you have a cover for your remote key so that it does not have a single scratch. Invest in the most nasally devastating air freshener. Keep rolling back your odo at each service. 

5. Brag about fuel figures - make your co workers jealous. Brag how you went from Malabe to Kataragama and your car did 34 KMPL over a bottle of Gal Arrack. Make sure your conversation precedes any discussions about Kusal Mendis's batting average. 

6. When the car starts giving the first signs of trouble - get it shown to a makabass ideally someone who is recommended by Roshan who is in the tuk-stand closest to your house. 

7. Ask the makabass to patch it up. No expensive fixes. 'Malli just make the error go away'. Malli will reset the errors. Patch up any existing issues. Thank god you did not transfer the car to your name. 

8. Do a nice wax up job - post an ad : tell them the previous owner is your brother in law and you never bothered to transfer. Wait for Jayantha who is a buy-and-sell-guy from Kohuwala to haggle for  a few hours and buy it from you and make the problem someone else's.

The process repeats. 

• Haha 9

16 minutes ago, matroska said:

Talk about it! 

1. Find the car that would make the neighbors' jealous, ticks all the boxes as per your drinking buddies and allows the wife to brag to her friends.

2. Pay unnecessarily high amount for afore mentioned car. But do NOT transfer it to your name. 

3. Find out the previous owner has sold you a lemon at the first service - hate the service guy for mentioning that the car has met with a massive accident never go to that service station again. 

4. Dress it up - but give zero sh*ts about it's drive train. Do the cheap stuff like waxing and washing so much so it looks like Cher with all the make up in the world.  Skip services, use the cheapest replacement parts but make sure you have a cover for your remote key so that it does not have a single scratch. Invest in the most nasally devastating air freshener. Keep rolling back your odo at each service. 

5. Brag about fuel figures - make your co workers jealous. Brag how you went from Malabe to Kataragama and your car did 34 KMPL over a bottle of Gal Arrack. Make sure your conversation precedes any discussions about Kusal Mendis's batting average. 

6. When the car starts giving the first signs of trouble - get it shown to a makabass ideally someone who is recommended by Roshan who is in the tuk-stand closest to your house. 

7. Ask the makabass to patch it up. No expensive fixes. 'Malli just make the error go away'. Malli will reset the errors. Patch up any existing issues. Thank god you did not transfer the car to your name. 

8. Do a nice wax up job - post an ad : tell them the previous owner is your brother in law and you never bothered to transfer. Wait for Jayantha who is a buy-and-sell-guy from Kohuwala to haggle for  a few hours and buy it from you and make the problem someone else's.

The process repeats. 

hammo deiyo :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, matroska said:

Talk about it! 

The process repeats. 

Post of the Day !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 11:59 AM, matroska said:

Talk about it! 

The process repeats. 

Damn ! 

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...