• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What To Do If You Loose The Vehicles Registration Book?

xXx

Gents,

what options does one have if he loose the registration book of the vehicle. i can't remember the correct terminology, what i meant by the registration book is the official document that shows the details of the vehicle and the owner.

what i'm mainly interested in is to know what can one do if the book was stolen? what can the owner do to protect his vehicle?

Gents,

what options does one have if he loose the registration book of the vehicle. i can't remember the correct terminology, what i meant by the registration book is the official document that shows the details of the vehicle and the owner.

what i'm mainly interested in is to know what can one do if the book was stolen? what can the owner do to protect his vehicle?

Hi XXX,

I think the first thing to do is to go to the nearest police station and report it and get a copy of the entry,

provided the vehicle is in your name you should be able to get a duplicate, but I am not not sure of the exact procedure,

The Don

Gents,

Why not check with RMV about the procedure? they are a lot more organised compared to a few years back.....

Other option might be to call 1919 or 4707070 for govt. info centre (www.gic.gov.lk); if they don't have info about the query at the time, they usually call you back... (they really do guys, I've tried this and was actually surprised this happens in SL :D )

Let us know the outcome of it too mate, this'll be valuble info for all vehicle owners....

Why not check with RMV about the procedure? they are a lot more organised compared to a few years back.....

Other option might be to call 1919 or 4707070 for govt. info centre (www.gic.gov.lk); if they don't have info about the query at the time, they usually call you back... (they really do guys, I've tried this and was actually surprised this happens in SL :D )

Let us know the outcome of it too mate, this'll be valuble info for all vehicle owners....

Yep GIC is a cool service... when they don't have the info...they take down your number and get back to you with the info...

i think the site also has an online browse/search feature...

My uncle recently lost his book also and handed the job to get a copy to some guy who works at the RMV..

No police reports and he got it quite fast too :)

thank you for all your input. what i was mainly after was what precautions can you take to protect your vehicle if the book was 'stolen'? say you get a duplicate the person who stole the book got an original genuine copy as well right, so what can you do from him claiming the vehicle's ownership.

any one from a law background in the forum?

thank you for all your input. what i was mainly after was what precautions can you take to protect your vehicle if the book was 'stolen'? say you get a duplicate the person who stole the book got an original genuine copy as well right, so what can you do from him claiming the vehicle's ownership.

any one from a law background in the forum?

no law background but i think you should be ok..cos

Since you're the registered owner the RMV database has your details under the vehicle serials etc...

If one was to challenge your legal ownership they will have to apply for a transfer or challenge you in the courts for holding onto "their" vehilce maybe with falsified documents to state you sold it to them...

So first precautionary measure would be to notify the cops and file a report...keep the copy and then apply for a duplicate fast :)

you should be ok then :)

When i bought my XR250 even the first registration, the original didn't make an appearance at my place like it was supposed to be... I got the plates, the VIC etc but no the book. When i checked with RMV later, they had a book with an entry saying someone has picked it up and opted for the registered post thing. I never picked it up so something was up...

Went to the coppers and the HQI guy didn't want to take a report cos he thought RMV has F'd up and the proper report should be against them :)

But i managed to whine and cry and get the thing done and finally got the duplicate from RMV....

The only downside is that it says "duplicate" in the notes section of the book :(

ripper my biggest concern is, say the guy who got your original book managed to nick your bike. he'll be able to sell it to anyone with out any trouble what so ever. what can we do to stop something like that from happening?

is there a way to change the engine and chassis number with the RMV's permission and get a new book issued with those details??

• 15 years later...