• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Straightening The Traffic Police Myths

SeanD

guys, need some help

last tuesday I got copped for "reckless driving" at galleface. cause i turned into galleface hotel road a bit fast.. :rolleyes: anyway the copper took my license, gave me a temp license and said I have to be at courts (some aluth place :S) on friday the 9th..

okay the help I need is... what the dickens do I do? :unsure: I just have to go there find a lawyer go to courts and say "yes I'm guilty of the offense" and pay a fine?? or?? :unsure: help please. :(

hmm that's just crazy!!! i too have been pulled over for taking off from the hilton too fast....i think the copped didn't like the wheelie sound...managed to BS my way out saying the clutch slipped :lol:

in your case since you couldn't get a spot fine ticker by sweet talking to the copped,,,i guess the best bet is to get one of those al-cheapo lawyers and just admit the darn thing and get it over with :)

you will be put into the cell for a lil while at the courts if i'm not wrong...

my bro once went through the same thing...untill you pay the court and the fines etc they dump your butt into the cell so take a buddy with you and go just in case

good luck

hmm that's just crazy!!! i too have been pulled over for taking off from the hilton too fast....i think the copped didn't like the wheelie sound...managed to BS my way out saying the clutch slipped :lol:

in your case since you couldn't get a spot fine ticker by sweet talking to the copped,,,i guess the best bet is to get one of those al-cheapo lawyers and just admit the darn thing and get it over with :)

you will be put into the cell for a lil while at the courts if i'm not wrong...

my bro once went through the same thing...untill you pay the court and the fines etc they dump your butt into the cell so take a buddy with you and go just in case

good luck

thanks mate. Guess courts it is.. :(

But it was my fault though, I didn't look at the speed and I was abit disorientated (no I was not drunk) so i just turned in, realised I was going too fast and hit the brake, but cause I did so, tyres screeched, car slid forwards (so much for bloody ABS <_< ) and a guy on the other side of the road jumped back. So because of that I guess the cop got real pissed.

yeah My friend said there are lawyers there who charge 500 bucks.. so I'll get one of them. Only thing is the fine might be about 4k or 5k. :(

Thanks a mil Ripper :)

yeah ripper put it right ...

our lorry guys get busted all the time...just hire a cheap lawyer and when your case is called they will ask if you are guilty or not...just reply "weradikaru swaamini"...and the judge will name a fine and put you in a cell untill someone pays the fine or whatever...

OR you could challenge it ,but i wouldn't recommend that approach...lol

yeah ripper put it right ...

our lorry guys get busted all the time...just hire a cheap lawyer and when your case is called they will ask if you are guilty or not...just reply "weradikaru swaamini"...and the judge will name a fine and put you in a cell untill someone pays the fine or whatever...

OR you could challenge it ,but i wouldn't recommend that approach...lol

and for godsakes...remember to switch off your cell phone...some judges get major pissed off if the damn thing rings even outside the court house and may even put you in jail along with a hefty fine.

mates, traffic cops are so desperate right now to meet the daily target of fines, as they are not allowed to use the beloved speed gun and most ppl now make sure to stay within the double line rule. So they come up with all sorts of bizzaire "offences" to issue a ticket

I got copped recently for overtaking at a straight section of the road where there was no double no single no broken well.. no line at all in the middle. When asked why cop says I overtook in the face of oncoming traffic whereas the truth was the oncoming guy was still quite a distance away and I had more than adequate room to complete the overtaking.

as there was no point in arguing I paid the 500 bucks at the nearest post office and got my license back, after which I politely told the cop that misusing authority might someday backfire at a time when he least expected. Cop wanted me to elaborate but having better things to do with my time I took off.

Edited by HardHat

Virensti, there's another advice I can give you.

The lawyers at the Aluth Kade traffic court are not second to the bl00dy cops. Thise guys are more like "Kaakko" in full suit. Just indicate that you can only pay Rs.500 and that's it (in a professional way though). Otherwise they'll grab a couple of thousand before you notice it.

The lawyer will first have to put a "Motion" or something like that, and then wait till the judge start calling ppl who've done traffic offences. You don't have to utter a word, the lawyer will say the necessary while you stand in front of the judge. There's no cell either. You'll have to sit on a bench until all traffic cases are done, then pay the fine, get the license and come back.

All what the lawyer does for your money is to put the "motion", and bow in front of the judge. Don't pay anything other than Rs. 500 to those Kaakko...!

Virensti, there's another advice I can give you.

The lawyers at the Aluth Kade traffic court are not second to the bl00dy cops. Thise guys are more like "Kaakko" in full suit. Just indicate that you can only pay Rs.500 and that's it (in a professional way though). Otherwise they'll grab a couple of thousand before you notice it.

The lawyer will first have to put a "Motion" or something like that, and then wait till the judge start calling ppl who've done traffic offences. You don't have to utter a word, the lawyer will say the necessary while you stand in front of the judge. There's no cell either. You'll have to sit on a bench until all traffic cases are done, then pay the fine, get the license and come back.

All what the lawyer does for your money is to put the "motion", and bow in front of the judge. Don't pay anything other than Rs. 500 to those Kaakko...!

wow okay I didn't know that. Thanks alot ae100 and everyone else. Kinda nervous bout my first outing in courts :mellow: thanks guys. Will let your'll know on friday how it goes. fingers crossed for a quick and simple get away :)

wow okay I didn't know that. Thanks alot ae100 and everyone else. Kinda nervous bout my first outing in courts :mellow: thanks guys. Will let your'll know on friday how it goes. fingers crossed for a quick and simple get away :)

just my two cents, i've been to courts twice in 2002 and last year. Both incidences i haven't "hired" a lawyer. In fact in first instance there were dozens of lawyers surrounded asking for appear, true bloody kakka fellows. Both me and bro said we don't need. Said i accept the offence and fined 1100. Was sitting in the bench next to another driver who paid 500 for the lawyer and still fine was the same. That was the same last time even, didn't get a lawyer and fine was 2500.

and for godsakes...remember to switch off your cell phone...some judges get major pissed off if the damn thing rings even outside the court house and may even put you in jail along with a hefty fine.

i recall a friend of mine narrating a story much the same as you mention, where his brother who came along to help pay his fine for driving & using the cell phone get chucked in the cell or whatever cuz his cell phone had gone off while the judge was deliberating! :lol:

thanks for the news harshan...i was under the impression that judges tend to give bigger fines if you present yourself without a lawyer,through professional courtesy or summin like that...seems that is not always the case eh.

what you said is correct for civil cases and stuff like that, but traffic cases just a waste of time for them and there's nothing for them to learn in the case. So they would keen to finish one and move onto next quickly. When lawyer explains the background it takes 5~10 mins. So you appear in a neatly dressed attire and politely saying you accept the charges to save time of honorary courts they tend to gentle on you. First time it was Gangodawila and second time kesbewa two different judges.

what you said is correct for civil cases and stuff like that, but traffic cases just a waste of time for them and there's nothing for them to learn in the case. So they would keen to finish one and move onto next quickly. When lawyer explains the background it takes 5~10 mins. So you appear in a neatly dressed attire and politely saying you accept the charges to save time of honorary courts they tend to gentle on you. First time it was Gangodawila and second time kesbewa two different judges.

thanks mate...some of the people i know was thinking of representing themselves in court for traffic offences,but none of them had the balls to do it...i will inform them of your experience.

just my two cents, i've been to courts twice in 2002 and last year. Both incidences i haven't "hired" a lawyer. In fact in first instance there were dozens of lawyers surrounded asking for appear, true bloody kakka fellows. Both me and bro said we don't need. Said i accept the offence and fined 1100. Was sitting in the bench next to another driver who paid 500 for the lawyer and still fine was the same. That was the same last time even, didn't get a lawyer and fine was 2500.

thanks Harshan will deffo consider it when I go on friday. Its just that I'd rather pay that 500 bucks and actually make sure I get my license that day itself.. I guess I'm way too nervous to just do it alone. :unsure: but thanks alot mate. :)

hey all,

ok just got back home.. damn tired.. got the license.. got fined 7500 bucks.. :mellow::( no money to go anywhere again till the end of the month.. lol.. man i guess i deserved it.. but what an experience. Wasn't put in to a cell or anything, but i had to sit and wait till one of my friends got me some extra cash.. (I had only 4K with me) and apparently if I didn't pay today, I would've had to spend the night in Welikada prison. :blink: I just thought they'd keep my license and let me go. but nothing doin.. well guys n girls, word of very obvious advice. DO NOT GET COPPED!! if you do! BEG for a fine and NOT courts!!!! They fleece you out!!! but.. I suppose its good.. :unsure: sure as hell learnt a very expensive lesson today. :unsure:

• Like 1

hey all,

ok just got back home.. damn tired.. got the license.. got fined 7500 bucks.. :mellow::( no money to go anywhere again till the end of the month.. lol.. man i guess i deserved it.. but what an experience. Wasn't put in to a cell or anything, but i had to sit and wait till one of my friends got me some extra cash.. (I had only 4K with me) and apparently if I didn't pay today, I would've had to spend the night in Welikada prison. :blink: I just thought they'd keep my license and let me go. but nothing doin.. well guys n girls, word of very obvious advice. DO NOT GET COPPED!!

woah!...thats a big chunk of moolah gone...well look at the bright side mate...atleast you didnt wind up inside welikada being some hairy blokes bitch ne...ROFL

anyways can you explain the whole procedure in detail mate...for the betterment of other poor saps who may wind up in you shoes one day...

woah!...thats a big chunk of moolah gone...well look at the bright side mate...atleast you didnt wind up inside welikada being some hairy blokes bitch ne...ROFL

anyways can you explain the whole procedure in detail mate...for the betterment of other poor saps who may wind up in you shoes one day...

i know mate. I nearly collapsed when the fine was read out. Thank God I managed to get out.

ok procedure is, get a lawyer, (everyone present today had one) and yes they're like "kaaka's" hovering around from morning. My one I called the night before (through a friend) he charged 1000 bucks :( and he just basically spoke for me. I didn't have to say a word. (btw the kolp police messed up my case with another guy who had the same sirname <_< )

anyway I was called up, the "nature of the crime" was read and then the copper who took my license explained in great detail of exactly how I turned in and nearly killed people and I just managed to avoid a massive accident.. So then the lawyer started some rubbish about how I'm young and I will learn and blah blah (I think that made it worse <_< ) so then the fine was read out, and I had to go and sit at the back of the court, and there's a woman there who reads out the names and you have to pay the fine to her, and then you go out, and once the magistrate leaves for her lunch, you can get your license from the cops.

ok points to note down,

take another friend/family person with you.

reason being, I took 5000 bucks today thinking it'll be enough. With the lawyers charge I was short by 3500 quid for the fine! :blink: and the best part is, you're not allowed to leave that place till you pay the fine!! :mellow:

So I went into panic mood, started texting everyone I knew (you cant call during courts though I snuck a couple of calls as well) and luckily got a guy to lend me 3500 bucks. So I paid and was able to leave (whew)

another point, take ALOT of cash with you or your friend. that way can avoid the above scenario I had to go through. :( Some guys were fined 9000 bucks!

All in all, considering getting there and the lawyer and fine and blah blah, I think its best to somehow avoid courts and pay fines to the post office or wherever. Alot easier/cheaper.

oh and dress properly. I wore shirt black pants and black shoes. Apparently they hate it if you dont dress well, and no smiling! The judges dont like the smiling either. So you just gotta keep your head down and accept whatever...

I pray that NO ONE has to go through this cause its such a damn pain and its bloody expensive! I learnt a very expensive lesson today. :(

hey all,

ok just got back home.. damn tired.. got the license.. got fined 7500 bucks.. :mellow::( no money to go anywhere again till the end of the month.. lol.. man i guess i deserved it.. but what an experience. Wasn't put in to a cell or anything, but i had to sit and wait till one of my friends got me some extra cash.. (I had only 4K with me) and apparently if I didn't pay today, I would've had to spend the night in Welikada prison. :blink: I just thought they'd keep my license and let me go. but nothing doin.. well guys n girls, word of very obvious advice. DO NOT GET COPPED!! if you do! BEG for a fine and NOT courts!!!! They fleece you out!!! but.. I suppose its good.. :unsure: sure as hell learnt a very expensive lesson today. :unsure:

damn, funny is for the accident i involved damaging two vehicles fine was 2500 and tire screeching turn costs three times more. It depends on the mood of the judge it seems. What you said was very valid, don't go to courts since the system is very inefficient, try talk nicely and get some spot fine at whatever the cost, it's hell worth and saves lot of time