• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dslr Prices

Peri/Watchman - I was out of touch with canon new offerings. So will have to do a full review the new range.

Kawz - Yes you have a point there in why going from 1000D - 600D. The reason I wanted to go for new camera is that I gave the RebelXS to my brother and now in hunt of a new camera. I know that moving from 1000D to 500D/550D/600D is not a major upgrade interms of the body except for increased Mega Pixels, as all fall in entry level DSLRs.

Since i'm not a Pro-photographer, I thought of going for decent body, but not a professional high end. And put money on a better lens covering more towards the telephoto end.

A 7D is the absolute limit for a casual shooter, even then, for a casual shooter, its just coz he doesn't know what to do with his money.

:) thanks for that... NOT.... :P

Try carrying the 7D with a 70-200 2.8 IS and a 580 stuck on for a few hours, and you'll appreciate what I mean.

That I agree. Shot a wedding with that setup and legs ached like hell for 2 days. And it certainly took a bit of getting used to. First few shots I could barely keep my hand steady.

:) thanks for that... NOT.... :P

You're not a casual shooter. Maybe you're not pro, but you don't qualify in the casual shooter section.

Peri/Watchman - I was out of touch with canon new offerings. So will have to do a full review the new range.

Kawz - Yes you have a point there in why going from 1000D - 600D. The reason I wanted to go for new camera is that I gave the RebelXS to my brother and now in hunt of a new camera. I know that moving from 1000D to 500D/550D/600D is not a major upgrade interms of the body except for increased Mega Pixels, as all fall in entry level DSLRs.

Since i'm not a Pro-photographer, I thought of going for decent body, but not a professional high end. And put money on a better lens covering more towards the telephoto end.

There are plenty of other differences. The major one that pops into mind is the stop metering. Number 2 is increased AF points.

Dude, I speak as someone who generates some income from this sorta thing. There are only two reasons to go for a 5D. Either you need it for the income generating work you do, or you have money to burn and a LOT of passion on the subject. Even 5D classic bodies are still over $2000. Waste of money. A 7D is the absolute limit for a casual shooter, even then, for a casual shooter, its just coz he doesn't know what to do with his money. The funny thing is, personally, I've never thought "I really want that" at the 7D or the 5D. I have the same sensor on my 60. There are improvements on the 7, but its not in areas that I use, and I wouldn't want to trade in having the features for the weight. Try carrying the 7D with a 70-200 2.8 IS and a 580 stuck on for a few hours, and you'll appreciate what I mean. I've shot with the 1Ds Mk III, and I want THAT. Can't even begin to justify tho. Maybe the 1Dx. Of course, if you have too much money and are willing to throw it at Canon, I don't mind. Means they can put more cash into R&D and bring down costs, the benefits which pass onto us :D

Guess your wish is coming true, SLR sales ARE up and as a result camera prices have dropped a bit. A 5D Mark 2 runs about $2k at my local shop, and I know I can get it lower than that if I nose around the States. A 7D sits at around $1.4k.

Anyways, its good to know we've got peeps to help navigate the single digit Canon options if needed... :)

Edited by Kavvz

In the meanwhile it looks like our OP has made up his mind :)

Yeap looks like he has. :)

..... Try carrying the 7D with a 70-200 2.8 IS and a 580 stuck on for a few hours, and you'll appreciate what I mean.

That I agree. Shot a wedding with that setup and legs ached like hell for 2 days. And it certainly took a bit of getting used to. First few shots I could barely keep my hand steady.

Hang on, that's a pretty decent setup 'Watchman'. So how come you want a 550D as well? Need an auxiliary with a wide angle lens or something of that sort to carry around simultaneously?

Edited by Kavvz

Hang on, that's a pretty decent setup 'Watchman'. So how come you want a 550D? Need an auxiliary with a wide angle lens or to carry around simultaneously?

First rule of the pro-shooter. Have backup for everything. I shoot with a 60, have a 450 for backup. I'd consider getting another 60 actually and dumping the Rebel, unless Canon announces something new. I might have considered a 40 or 50 for backup, but I can't be bothered buying CF cards. Also having two 60s means I don't have to bother with 2 types of spare batteries etc.

I agree on the lens part, kit lenses are all but redundant. I wish I bought the 500D body only (Thank goodness I didn't get the bundled kit that offered the 300mm lens along with the 18-55mm!!). But am not sure your purchase should be driven by megapixels. However as 'Watchmen' points out perhaps the enhanced sensor options makes the 550D a worth while purchase...

Edited by Kavvz

Ah, you mean you like Nikon's newer cameras, not that you think Nikon has the newer offerings on the market. That would have been ironic, since Nikon only put out a D5100 this year, where Canon has put out the 600D, 1100D and announced the 1Dx. Even last year Canon has put out the 550D and 60D, while Nikon released the D7000 and D3100.

But then, its not been a great time for camera releases with the earthquake in Japan.

Speaking of backups- really interested in knowing how the 15-85 is holding up with you're work load

Hang on, that's a pretty decent setup 'Watchman'. So how come you want a 550D as well? Need an auxiliary with a wide angle lens or something of that sort to carry around simultaneously?

Primarily backup. Its high time I retire the 350D. I use 2 primary lenses (50mm f/1.4 and 11-16mm f/2.8) and cant afford to be swapping lenses all the time. I was thinking of making the 40D the backup, but I am quite interested in trying out videography too. So the 550D seems a better choice.

How many batteries do you need? I've never run out of juice even on an all day shoot. And I dont even have a 2nd battery for the 7D.. though I should get one.

Been trying to make up my mind if I needed to get one.. Decided on getting some SD cards instead :) Anyone have any experience with buying batteries off ebay etc? Bit of a killer spending 10k for a battery through the agents.

Speaking of backups- really interested in knowing how the 15-85 is holding up with you're work load

Quite well. No issues on the lens, but I might be developing a fungus issue. Should get it serviced. I will replace it sometime next year, hopefully with a 24-70 MkII if Canon ever releases that.

How many batteries do you need? I've never run out of juice even on an all day shoot. And I dont even have a 2nd battery for the 7D.. though I should get one.

Yeah, I tend to get about 1500 shots on a charge, but it depends. I don't want to have to charge the battery after taking 2-300 shots coz I have an expected long shoot the next day, will shorten battery life. Anyway, the spare is in case it one goes bad, not just runs out of juice :) I want a grip anyway, more for portrait mode shooting than battery life tho.

Been trying to make up my mind if I needed to get one.. Decided on getting some SD cards instead :) Anyone have any experience with buying batteries off ebay etc? Bit of a killer spending 10k for a battery through the agents.

Yeah, I've gotten 3rd party batteries off ebay for the 350D and 40D. Also using 3x 3rd party batteries on the 40D. Their charge last just as long if not more in some cases (higher mAh value). And they're almost dirt cheap compared to originals (or fakes with canon prints and packaging :P ). The last purchase was 2 batteries for the 350D totally USD12.00 (with shipping). It was round the same price for the Nikon too.

So guess where i'm gonna buy my next battery :D

Yeah, I've gotten 3rd party batteries off ebay for the 350D and 40D. Also using 3x 3rd party batteries on the 40D. Their charge last just as long if not more in some cases (higher mAh value). And they're almost dirt cheap compared to originals (or fakes with canon prints and packaging :P ). The last purchase was 2 batteries for the 350D totally USD12.00 (with shipping). It was round the same price for the Nikon too.

So guess where i'm gonna buy my next battery :D

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-New-7-4V-2000mAh-Battery-LP-E6-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-7D-60D-/280763420849?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item415ecdd0b1

Well of course the packaging looks different fomr previous buys.. but yeah thats the kind of thing.

What do you know! Its a common battery for the 60D and 7D... I added one myself just now to my shopping cart using your link.. Peri, might be interested too :)

Edited by Watchman

Quite well. No issues on the lens, but I might be developing a fungus issue. Should get it serviced. I will replace it sometime next year, hopefully with a 24-70 MkII if Canon ever releases that.

Right- issue is with the build quality I guess then and this is shooting more indoors as well I guess. The mk2 will be interesting if they do IS with it as well

Machan where are you planning on getting your lenses serviced? I have a couple of hand-me-downs, i.e Canon & Sigma that need a real good clean up.

I dont think a battery can be any cheaper than that :D

I get addicted to Ebay when I go there. Just bought another hand grip too. Now looking at CF cards

Talk about it machan :sport-smiley-004: ... Trying hard to save up for a 70-200 f4L, but the accessories keep piling up & so does the CC bill :speechless-smiley-004:

You sure you're not going for a '1D poser' look? j/k :P

I don't need to go for a 1D poser look. I just stick the 70-200 MkII on and get all the "What a huuuge camera you have" comments :P

People who know what a 1D is, wouldn't fall for it. Those who don't... well, they get more impressed with the Great White :)

Right- issue is with the build quality I guess then and this is shooting more indoors as well I guess. The mk2 will be interesting if they do IS with it as well

Not really. Done quite a few beach weddings/events. I doubt I'm doing the lens any favors by swapping lens on the beach. Whut tu du? demands of the job. The lens is holding up really well, buildwise, and no drop in IQ despite the fungus, so far :)

Machan where are you planning on getting your lenses serviced? I have a couple of hand-me-downs, i.e Canon & Sigma that need a real good clean up.

Metro, probably. Tho last time I found a decent window in the shooting schedule and got them cleaned in Singapore when a fellow snapper went there. The trick is to have backup gear :) I don't have a spare wide if I send that off to be cleaned.

D, I was thinking of getting a package like this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052958FQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6

Currently unavailable, but thats the idea of what I was looking for.

I don't need to go for a 1D poser look. I just stick the 70-200 MkII on and get all the "What a huuuge camera you have" comments :P

People who know what a 1D is, wouldn't fall for it. Those who don't... well, they get more impressed with the Great White :)

true,

Btw slightly more ON topic: do you know what the 2nd hand value of a 350D body would be? (condition: it looks obviously used)