• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Switching To Neutral While Driveing An Autogear!

riddle

made me wow, that'll be one hell of a feature, provided that you can activate/de activate at your convenience.

if there is an overdrive button, turning it off (default is on) will give you engine breaking... I've tried it on Sunny B15, Corolla AE100, March K11.

the guy who normally drives the Corolla says he gets engine breaking on 2 but I haven't tried it myself.

on some of the newer cars (e.g. Premio) the "B" mode will give engine breaking.

if there is an overdrive button, turning it off (default is on) will give you engine breaking... I've tried it on Sunny B15, Corolla AE100, March K11.

the guy who normally drives the Corolla says he gets engine breaking on 2 but I haven't tried it myself.

on some of the newer cars (e.g. Premio) the "B" mode will give engine breaking.

it's not engine breaking, it's down shifting from O/D to drive gear 3rd or 4th depending on the gearbox, even selecting 2 will not provide engine braking. Engine braking can literally bring a vehicle to standstill by down shifting to 1st and then switching off the engine. What Peri mentioned, that engine revs on a hold on mode with the final drive sounds engine breaking and could be a separate development/feature comes in Gen2.

That level of engine braking cannot be found in usual auto boxes.

made me wow, that'll be one hell of a feature, provided that you can activate/de activate at your convenience.

I deactivate by shoving it into N :) Hate when the car wants to slow down when I don't want to! :ninja: It has no sense of how much to slow the car down. Unless its on cruise control. Its also how it deals with downwards planes trying to maintain speed on cruise control, not using the brakes, but using the GB.

I deactivate by shoving it into N :) Hate when the car wants to slow down when I don't want to! :ninja: It has no sense of how much to slow the car down. Unless its on cruise control. Its also how it deals with downwards planes trying to maintain speed on cruise control, not using the brakes, but using the GB.

So, Proton needs to put some more R&D efforts on this, it seems.

it's not engine breaking, it's down shifting from O/D to drive gear 3rd or 4th depending on the gearbox, even selecting 2 will not provide engine braking. Engine braking can literally bring a vehicle to standstill by down shifting to 1st and then switching off the engine. What Peri mentioned, that engine revs on a hold on mode with the final drive sounds engine breaking and could be a separate development/feature comes in Gen2.

That level of engine braking cannot be found in usual auto boxes.

are you sure? I kind of remember reading someplace about how turning off overdrive engages some kind of direct coupling to the engine (which is needed to make the engine breaking possible). I remember in the K11 that even at moderate speeds disengaging overdrive (assuming I've already taken my foot of the accelerator) created a noticeable slow down. Can't test it anymore since we sold the K11... will try to check the next time I get my hands on the B15 :D

Changing gear position (in manual) to neutral very dangerous. specialy when heavy vehicle/passenger bus drivers use to do this to save fuel. However you can imagine the stress goes on breaking system. This happenes when they go down in a hill. vehicle keep on accelerating under the gravity and no control of speed by engine. Tendency of break failure is very high.

IMO It's dangerous to change to neutral with a manual box at 50-60, even more so in an auto box. If there is a sudden need to slow down you can end up in trouble, as the whole load of the stop will be on the breaks.
Edited by MkX