• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import Tax Charge For A Vitz 2008

smart1986

is it true that u need to have a vehicle permit to import a car??i mean for personal use

There is no special permit required for this. There are some paper work to get done at inland revenue and customs dept. May be this is what you are reffering to, or have the law changed recently?

Edited by Lalinda

yeah thats right about importers... i know that coz i know a importer who imported an allion,kept 9 lakhs and sold...

Did he confess this to you? or did you crunch thr numbers your selfe?

Unless he found some fool to unload the car for a thumping price it's prety difficult to keep such a margin on a car in that price bracket.

Did he confess this to you? or did you crunch thr numbers your selfe?

Unless he found some fool to unload the car for a thumping price it's prety difficult to keep such a margin on a car in that price bracket.

he is a family firend.he shipped the car just after tax reduction(before increasing price in japan).so he could find a car for very less value with his connections in japan..and he said that now its not possible bcoz vehicles in japan is expensive :)

Edited by royalkalana

he is a family firend.he shipped the car just after tax reduction(before increasing price in japan).so he could find a car for very less value with his connections in japan..and he said that now its not possible bcoz vehicles in japan is expensive :)

How much has he sold that Allion after keeping 9 lakhs profit? Do you know how much it will cost to directly import 2007 Allion with the current market prices in Japan?

How much has he sold that Allion after keeping 9 lakhs profit? Do you know how much it will cost to directly import 2007 Allion with the current market prices in Japan?

no i wasnt interested abt it so i didnt ask.allion is way far from our budget lol...

no i wasnt interested abt it so i didnt ask.allion is way far from our budget lol...

It is OK. I was just asking...I know someone who managed to purchase a 2007 Allion for USD 15,000 from Dubai. (CIF price to Colombo). He beleives that he can export this car to Sri Lanka for a total cost of Rs 37-38 lacks under new taxes. Just wanted to compare this with the market price of Allion in Sri Lanka. Any body got an idea about this?

It is OK. I was just asking...I know someone who managed to purchase a 2007 Allion for USD 15,000 from Dubai. (CIF price to Colombo). He beleives that he can export this car to Sri Lanka for a total cost of Rs 37-38 lacks under new taxes. Just wanted to compare this with the market price of Allion in Sri Lanka. Any body got an idea about this?

Don't they drive on the other side of the road in Dubai?

So what is the duty on 1300cc Vitz? Its the SCP90 and not KSP92 as you have guessed. You have given values for the 1000cc Belta (KSP92) and 1000cc Vitz (KSP90).

Whats the duty for the following chassis no's

1300cc Vitz - SCP90

1500cc Vitz RS - NCP91

SCP 90 - 1125000 to 1695000 It depends on the year of make, the depriciation you get, and the options.

NCP 91- 1640000

Hi Fire Dragon,

I can see that you are an expert on duty estimates!

I am looking to get down a 2007-2008 Mazda Axella (I think the chasis model is BK5P) or a Subaru Impreza (chasis model: GH2 or a GD2). Appreciate it if you could give an estimate on the total duty and other taxes.

Cheers.

No expert. Just trying to be helpful

GD2 duty 1465000 aprox if the valuation is 1240000. Everything depends on the year of make, options, exg rate etc.BK5P chasis no is wrong. so cant give you a duty estimate.

rgds.

is it true that u need to have a vehicle permit to import a car??i mean for personal use

You dont need a special permit.

Just go to the IRD 1st floor if i remember correctly, get your TIN (Tax payer Identification Number) & VAT.

Go to customs web site. Download the appropirte form.

Fill it get a photo paste it get it signed by a Attornery At Law, or JP.

Submit the same to the customs 3rd floor counter.

Get the proforma from the shipper. Open LC. When the ship arrives get a clearing agent to clear the vehicle for you after paying the due duties.

rgds.

Fire Dragon

SCP 90 - 1125000 to 1695000 It depends on the year of make, the depriciation you get, and the options.

NCP 91- 1640000

Thanks for the info Fire Dragon1. Do you have the Agent valuation (FOB, Ins, Freight, other) for these two cars just like you gave on KSP90, it would come in handy to make accurate calculations.

Edited by Lalinda

Just go to the IRD 1st floor if i remember correctly, get your TIN (Tax payer Identification Number) & VAT.

Get the proforma from the shipper. Open LC. When the ship arrives get a clearing agent to clear the vehicle for you after paying the due duties.

rgds.

Fire Dragon

rhanx for the valuable reply fire dragon :)

rgds.

Fire Dragon

thanx for the valuable reply fire dragon :)

GD2 duty 1465000 aprox if the valuation is 1240000. Everything depends on the year of make, options, exg rate etc.BK5P chasis no is wrong. so cant give you a duty estimate.

rgds.

Hi,

Many thanks for the estimate for the GD2.

I re-checked the chasis model for the Axela but, all I could find is the no. BK5P. Anyway, I am refering to the Mazda Axela 2007-2008 Sedan. Hope you can work out based on this information.

Cheers.

Toyota Vitz, about 4000km, costs about 14 lacks in Japan. If it is 2008/11 then the depricaition you will be getting is 80%.

The duty would be 10.50 lacks. If it is 2008/06 then you will get a dip of about 75% and the duty will be around 10.25 lacks.

If you import yourself after getting a proforma invoice it will be cheap.

If you you buy it from a car importer it will be costly bec they will keep their profit and they have to pay 2500 rupees per each one hundred thousand spent on the vehicle + 1% BTT. Hope this is helpful.

Fire Dragon

Hi Mr Dragon,

thanks a lot for the information. The tax system for cars is a serious ride. You know various importers says various rates. Various agents also tell various rates.

I think 1695 is the upper most limit probably for brand new vitz. thanks anyway

The tax system for cars is a serious ride. You know various importers says various rates. Various agents also tell various rates.

Answer for this can be found in the bellow post. There's so many variable sthat contribute to the final figure.

rgds.

rgds.

Fire Dragon

Steps are correct, but the order is not and some information is missing. Here is the procedure.

1. Contact a vehicle exporter in the exporting country and get the per-forma invoice.

2. Take the per-forma invoice to the bank and open a Letter of Credit. Bank will normally hold 110% of the CIF value mentioned in the Per-forma Invoice.

3. Once you successfully opened the LC exporter will be asked to submit the necessary documents through his bank in exporting country. Please wait till your bank receives document and after thorough checking bank will release documents required for clearing process.

4. Then get the TIN and VAT Certificate from Inland Revenue Dept. in Sir Chittampalam A. Gardiner Mw, Colombo 2

Form

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.lk/forms/VATtemp.pdf

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.lk/forms/tin.pdf

You'll need two sets of photocopies of following document

- Bill of Lading

- Commercial Invoice

- NIC/ Passport/ Driver's Licence

Also if you are PAYE tax payer you can save the visit to information branch. However you have to produce T10 certificate of PAYE tax payement or get a letter from employer that you are PAYE tax payer.

5. Then get a FORM FOR THE REGISTRATION OF IMPOTERS & EXPORTERS IN TERM OF SECTION 115 OF THE CUSTOMS ORDINANCE and fill it and submit to the ADP branch in Customs headquarters. You need TIN and VAT and form needs to be signed by Grama Niladhari and needs to paste stamp size photo and signed by JP. Also needs get certificate from bank in which you opened LC.

http://www.customs.gov.lk/adp/Reg_Imp_Exp.pdf

6. Contact a good clearing agent with experience and he will handle rest of the process for you.

All the good luck

Edited by nissan_fan

Steps are correct, but the order is not and some information is missing. Here is the procedure.

1. Contact a vehicle exporter in the exporting country and get the per-forma invoice.

2. Take the per-forma invoice to the bank and open a Letter of Credit. Bank will normally hold 110% of the CIF value mentioned in the Per-forma Invoice.

3. Once you successfully opened the LC exporter will be asked to submit the necessary documents through his bank in exporting country. Please wait till your bank receives document and after thorough checking bank will release documents required for clearing process.

4. Then get the TIN and VAT Certificate from Inland Revenue Dept. in Sir Chittampalam A. Gardiner Mw, Colombo 2

Form

- Bill of Lading

- Commercial Invoice

Also if you are PAYE tax payer you can save the visit to information branch. However you have to produce T10 certificate of PAYE tax payement or get a letter from employer that you are PAYE tax payer.

5. Then get a FORM FOR THE REGISTRATION OF IMPOTERS & EXPORTERS IN TERM OF SECTION 115 OF THE CUSTOMS ORDINANCE and fill it and submit to the ADP branch in Customs headquarters. You need TIN and VAT and form needs to be signed by Grama Niladhari and needs to paste stamp size photo and signed by JP. Also needs get certificate from bank in which you opened LC.

6. Contact a good clearing agent with experience and he will handle rest of the process for you.

All the good luck

That is a professional advice. Keep up the good work. Need more people like you to join this forum

whats the procedure to get a permit?? & what would be the cost??

There is no permit as such. Procedure as follows,

1. Find a vehicle in japan and get down a performa invoce. (it is better and easy if you could do it through a local agent. he will charge a lumpsum of 50000 rs-100000rs.)

2. Go to a local bank with performa invoice and open up a LC.

3. Send a copy of LC to the japan (By e mail or with other means)

4. Bank will receive original papers from the shipper and you will get a set of copies.

5. Go to the bank and collect originals and go to Inland revenue dept and get a temp. vat pin number.(Easy process)

6. Name of the ship and the E.D.Arrival is mentioned on papers.

7. Nominate a local clearing agent to clear the car from the harbour.(Clearing agent will charge around 20000 Rs or less)

rgds,

Form

- Bill of Lading

- Commercial Invoice

All the good luck

Thanks for the informaion. Does this contain full A-Z procedure? guys, if you recently imported a vehicle for your private use pls add if any thing is missing here. this a very valuable information which is hard to find. how about vehicle inspection certificate. eg.JAAI

Hi,

Many thanks for the estimate for the GD2.

I re-checked the chasis model for the Axela but, all I could find is the no. BK5P. Anyway, I am refering to the Mazda Axela 2007-2008 Sedan. Hope you can work out based on this information.

Cheers.

Sorry my mistake. BK5P total duty to be paid varies from 1,643,000 to 1,870,000. The HS is 87032250. Value ranges from 1390000 to 1580000, depending on the year, exg rate,options etc etc.

Thanks for the informaion. Does this contain full A-Z procedure? guys, if you recently imported a vehicle for your private use pls add if any thing is missing here. this a very valuable information which is hard to find. how about vehicle inspection certificate. eg.JAAI

I got my vehicle cleared recently and because there were no information in one place available to me in one place I got my time wasted throughout the process. So I write down the procedure I went through.

You need not to worry about JAAI certificate and other document required to clear and register the vehicle, as Bank request all of those document in the letter of credit. Bank will only release funds to the exporter in foreign country if and only if those document arrives to the bank and all document have no misses etc. Before releasing the document to the importer here in SL Bank will check all documents thoroughly.

Unless you are under special permit, you'll have to transfer funds through LC when importing a vehicle.

Edited by nissan_fan