• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Please Recommend A Laptop.

The best thing about the Macs is how very well integrated the hardware with the software. They have a natural edge over Windows or Linux since they only have about 5-6 current models at any given time. Also, their hardware progression seems to follow a tight increment. (Imagine a series of boxes arranged like 2*2, 4*4, 8*8, 16*16, etc.) So, the OS fits in seamlessly.

The best thing I like about the Macs is the hardware. I mean the Apple keyboard alone is one of the best things I've come to use. the keys have the perfect travel and response and same goes for the Magic mouse.

I've had software issues on the Macs. Those are very rare and very far between. But Macs do get them. You can sort those out but it's infinitely difficult to troubleshoot than on a windows machine. Every time I had a software issue, it took me at least a day to sort it out, with or without Time Machine.

General use of a Mac is quite satisfying. Our Macs are a bit old so we have the luxury of upgradable RAMs, but no retina displays. Switching between Macs and Windows often tends to drive you nuts. Some controls are at the opposite ends, especially the OK/Cancel buttons.

For me its the display and viewing angle: I never notice it till I watch a movie on something else; am not sure whether that alone is worth the mark-up but I've had no software issues or hardware issues either. And it still runs faster than anything we've got in the house including newer computers with more ram and processing speed. I blame that on the over complicated Windows editions that got rolled out though. I'm sure if I switched to a linux OS on one of the PC's it would be just the same...Apparently Windows 10 is simpler and more like Windows 7 which will be refreshing to say the least.

I am however frustrated at how Apple can't design / source a proper power cord. So far I've burnt through one every year I think. Pretty dumb that a company which can make such a great computer failed miserably on each generation of the mac power cord design.

• Like 1

Doesn't Sony also go for similar price as Apple Mac?

Not sure. Maybe their higher spec ones do? Honestly didn't seriously consider a Sony branded PC at all during my searches as the cheaper ones were never cheap enough (to compete with an Acer or a Chromebook) and the higher spec expensive ones couldn't compete with the Mac's display or speed...

No clue. The only games I play now are just cellphone games to kill time in queues.

Pretty cool office! And that's a new one. Most people end up running OS X on pc's rather than the other way around! Quite an interesting situation, so I take it you guys work in graphic design and hijacked one of the office machines for a gaming rig? Hilarious! How did you guys get away with that one?

We're into product development and I actually have a stake in the company. :sport-smiley-004: It's like this. We believe in working smart, not working hard. Despite the crazy shizz we pull off at the office, our productivity is also quite high. We've been in the business since 2011 and so far, we've had no issues about the guys having fun at office. :)

We're into product development and I actually have a stake in the company. :sport-smiley-004: It's like this. We believe in working smart, not working hard. Despite the crazy shizz we pull off at the office, our productivity is also quite high. We've been in the business since 2011 and so far, we've had no issues about the guys having fun at office. :)

Lucky bugger you. Sounds like a good work environment. Well if you're selling off any of gently used mac / pc's let me know, there is always room in our house for a gently used, confused mac/pc. On second thoughts, perhaps its not such a great idea to buy a computer that a bunch of guys gamed on hard all day!! lol. Okay never mind!!

I checked out another laptop again windows 8 though but windows 10 is coming out soon so no issue. The model is Toshiba Satellite P50t-A. The seller told me it's got i7, Nvidia gForce graphics card, 1tb hard drive, touch screen but he's not sure of the ram( he told me "it's 12 something") he sounded like a noob so I thought of giving him a visit today and check out the lap. It's used and its 5000 Aussie dollars but he has bought it for 1200$ new. I googled a bit about this model and found out the specs are: 15.6-inch 1920x1080 touchscreen display 2.6kg Intel i7 4700MQ 2.4GHZ Quad Core CPU 16GB RAM 1TB 5,400rpm Hard Drive GeForce GT740M Graphics

You probably meant 500 AU$. Since if he really is a noob try to bargain more and ask him why he is selling it. But even for AU$500 I think its worth if it doesnot have any problems, and that full HD screen and the GeForce GPU sounds great.

You probably meant 500 AU$. Since if he really is a noob try to bargain more and ask him why he is selling it. But even for AU$500 I think its worth if it doesnot have any problems, and that full HD screen and the GeForce GPU sounds great.

Yeah i meant aussie dollars

Thats what, I'm gonna try bargaining, i have told him that i will come to check it out tomorrow, i'll keep you guys updated

bd. its actually full HD touch screen

Are you working in SL?

Regarding Windows 8.1, it's not that bad of an OS as most claim to be once you figure out what it really is. Microsoft botched it by trying to embed the "Metro UI" in there but that can be disabled almost altogether now since Windows 8.1 Update 1.

All you need to do is Install 8.1., use Windows update to install Update 1 if it isnt already there, and tick the 'Boot to desktop' option.

Underneath the Metro crap is a pretty solid OS with improved memory management, boot times and stability over Windows 7. I have been using it on my Desktop which has no touch controls whatsoever.

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 2

Congratz! How much was it? Not 5000 AU$ I hope.. :P

Yeah made him come down in price a bit

Regarding Windows 8.1, it's not that bad of an OS as most claim to be once you figure out what it really is. Microsoft botched it by trying to embed the "Metro UI" in there but that can be disabled almost altogether now since Windows 8.1 Update 1.

All you need to do is Install 8.1., use Windows update to install Update 1 if it isnt already there, and tick the 'Boot to desktop' option.

Underneath the Metro crap is a pretty solid OS with improved memory management, boot times and stability over Windows 7. I have been using it on my Desktop which has no touch controls whatsoever.

This has touch screen and its got windows 8. Its pretty cool! far better than using with a mouse

Im waiting for Windows 10 to come out to upgrade

edit: si i did upgrade, i didnt know its free and apps/games are awesome which arent available on the pirated version

Edited by Magnum