• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gprs Technology To Monitor Driving Of Sri Lankan Private Buses

esdeez

Jan 08, Colombo: Sri Lanka National Transport Commission is to monitor the driving of private buses using GPRS (General Packet Radio Services) technology, says the Chairman of the Commission Shashi Welgama.

Accordingly, the Commission will have special equipment fixed in the buses so that their driving can be monitored remotely, he said.

The project is to be commenced from the buses plying from Colombo to Kataragama.

Sri Lankan passengers often complain of reckless driving as well as wasting time by the private buses.

http://www.colombopage.com/archive_10C/Jan08_1294457130CH.php

Well first of all, i'm not sure how GPRS can be used, and even if it could be, i'm sure GPS would've been the most obvious choice....

What do you guys think? Advancement, or just another fad?

Personally I think that, yes, it may be short lived, with drivers and bus owners objecting to being monitored, BUT, surely this is a move in the right direction. Lets face it, it would take a helluva a lot of money and resources to transform this country's dire bus system, but this is a start atleast.... Right?

i'm guessing that GPRS is just the data transmission technology and they might have some kind of sensors on buses to detect speed and possibly sideway movements. Even the heading can be take out of a digital compass kinda thingy so putting all these together through some sorta software one might be able to figure out what the target vehicle is upto...

pure speculation here :)

I hope these sorta stuff will work out and it's high time that the government rein in these bus buggers who drive like retards...

HI,

Actually this is gps tracking unit which could be installed in vehicle. It could send vehicles location and speed information acquired through GPS to central server through GPRS network. Usually for about Rs 0.01 we can send about 20 points of detailed data to base station server. Also this units can be programed to send alarm messages in case of reaching some limits like speed, location (or area), time of no movement.

Unit is pretty convenient and small enough to install (8cm x 6cm x 1.5cm).

I have tracking unit in my car (installed by my self in 30min) with all these options. However I track it using SMS.

:)

HI,

Actually this is gps tracking unit which could be installed in vehicle. It could send vehicles location and speed information acquired through GPS to central server through GPRS network. Usually for about Rs 0.01 we can send about 20 points of detailed data to base station server. Also this units can be programed to send alarm messages in case of reaching some limits like speed, location (or area), time of no movement.

Unit is pretty convenient and small enough to install (8cm x 6cm x 1.5cm).

I have tracking unit in my car (installed by my self in 30min) with all these options. However I track it using SMS.

Thanks for the info mate, one question - Why would you need to track the way you drive your own car ?

I still don't see the point in knowing "where you are," unless it is properly showing the location of the bus on the road. I highly doubt it captures micromovements like going from side to side? And that's what's important - busses don't detour with passengers in them (much) but they do act like maniacs on a two lane road. The speed is not as important as what the guy is doing on the road, since something that size can be deadly even at 10kmph. Far better to have spent this money educating them on lane discipline.

I hope these sorta stuff will work out and it's high time that the government rein in these bus buggers who drive like retards...

no shi.....and it's always the private bus guys. I very rarely see the CTB guys acting like that. From what I heard the CTB buses and drivers are inspected from time to time.

On another note...how wonderful would it be if it was like the old days and qwe didn't have private buses? the roads will looks a lot cleaner too without those hideous stickers and such.

Thanks for the info mate, one question - Why would you need to track the way you drive your own car ?

HI,

in case of car jacking, some one put gun to my head and take vehicle. I'm not going to be hero here and will give him vehicle. And at the police I know where the vehicle is exactly (within 10m accuracy).

I park some ware and go to my work. When I come back car is stolen. AT the police I know where the car is.

so friend got the message?

It is security system and one who steal my car will not know until police comes.

Lol :wacko2:

Well it seems as though you didn't get what I was implying. Lets say you have a wife and you think she's cheating and lets say your wife drives you car from time to time to go to the supermarket only to come back two hours later even though it's a short trip.....wouldn't you want to track your car????

Edited by jdnet

HI,

in case of car jacking, some one put gun to my head and take vehicle. I'm not going to be hero here and will give him vehicle. And at the police I know where the vehicle is exactly (within 10m accuracy).

I park some ware and go to my work. When I come back car is stolen. AT the police I know where the car is.

so friend got the message?

It is security system and one who steal my car will not know until police comes.

Hmmmm okay the gun thing i digg but isnt the idea to stop stealing rather than to find a stolen car ?

You know security systems do have immobilizers, these days you cant just rob a car with fake keys.

BTW where did you get this system ? any name or vendor ?

Hmmmm okay the gun thing i digg but isnt the idea to stop stealing rather than to find a stolen car ?

You know security systems do have immobilizers, these days you cant just rob a car with fake keys.

also if you employ drivers it's a good idea to know where exactly they have been driving about.

another thing is when you put the car for repairs etc sometimes the garage chaps drive them for their errands...

immobilizers: If i'm the thief, I have good chance to break window and escape. have car. no thief :)

cheating wife: interesting...

Well it seems as though you didn't get what I was implying. Lets say you have a wife and you think she's cheating and lets say your wife drives you car from time to time to go to the supermarket only to come back two hours later even though it's a short trip.....wouldn't you want to track your car????

oh, crap. I'm sorry to hear that JD. Hope you'll get the things sorted out soon :P

Hmmm true to some extent but chances are that the deal will be both ways.I'd rather not know where she is going as opposed to her knowing where im going ;)