• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which car/Suv should I buy

C_J

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which Japanese  car has the most comfortable seats. I like to have a sofa like sitting experience, which Premio offer as most of you already mentioned.

Is there any better alternative?

Edited by C_J
Thread went on a different direction, hence changed the title

On 7/21/2023 at 8:44 AM, iRage said:

Driving the Premio feels like driving a sofa that is on a bowl of jelly. 

I hate to jump into the so-called local trend just because of comfortable seats. On the other hand, newer models of Camry, Mark X, Crown, etc are not readily available in the SL Market. Even the real Premio G Superior (1.8L) with a Moonroof is rare. 

Do you have any advice for me? 😃

21 hours ago, C_J said:

Even the real Premio G Superior (1.8L) with a Moonroof is rare

You are mistaken here.

G Superior Package was offered only in the 2.0L model. Not the 1.8. THere was a dealer package called the Superior package that was offered on the fully loaded 1.5 and 1.8 variants which just had the cosmetic stuff. That was offered only for like 6 months. Only know of 3 that actually were Toyota dealer fitted ones.

Premio (and Allion was never offered with a sunroof by Toyota. So no..you cannot find an original Premio with a sunroof no matter what the grade is. In Japan we have a few vehicle customizers that did sunroof installations on cars that didn't have sunroof from factory. Some Allions and Premios done by these companies may have come to SL. Considering the proce of a conversion (nearly a million yen) I doubt many that came had these Japanese conversions. There are a lot of cars that have sunroofs installed in Sri Lanka.

I gave you my advice and for some reason I cannot see it although you replied to it.

I am not talking about new model Camry/Mark X. I am talking about those that are available in SL. Out of that list the rare/difficult to find one would be the Mark X.

Looking at your ideas and thoughts in other threads...I would say just buy a Premio. Ticks all your boxes.

I believe you also mentioned somethings like sunroofs in a few other threads. That too I believe quite a few members advised you on the pros and cons of sunroofs.

Just a recommendation....perhaps you should just have one proper thread for yourself to discuss about your car purchase. Right now there are way too many of your own responses on quite a few threads it becomes difficult to keep track of everything.

Edited by iRage

Thanks for the advice. 
Actually, I opened a thread What's the best car under 10M (now I have extended my budget as I couldn't find a good match under 10M) before asking questions here and there but it didn't get any replies. So I opened a few other threads to discuss specifics like 
Toyota CHR vs Premio
What's the best modern Car/SUV with a Sunroof?
and then this one Japanese car with most comfortable seats

Also, I posted quite a lot on Honda Civic 2018 as I was attracted to the Civic for its' Sunroof. But low ground clearance, law seats, firm suspension, and firm seats (compared to Premio) are my concerns against it. Driving pleasure, which I'm sure the Civic is famous for, is not my concern as we mostly hire a vehicle for long trips. 

As I spend too much time sitting (work), I have developed lower back pain. Now I have to sit on very soft chairs to avoid the pain. Hence, I am looking for a car with soft seats and suspension. 

Considering all the facts, I will take your advice and just go with a Premio (even though I hate to join the local trend).

Maybe I can just hire a vehicle with a sunroof for trips as a sunroof will only come in handy at that time 😀

On 9/9/2023 at 11:27 AM, iRage said:

I gave you my advice and for some reason I cannot see it although you replied to it.

I copy pasted your quote from another thread (Toyota CHR vs Premio), that's why you couldn't see it here. Sorry about the confusion. I just wanted to get the attention to this thread to see if you have any other advice about a better Japanese car with more comfortable seats.

Edited by C_J
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, C_J said:

As I spend too much time sitting (work), I have developed lower back pain. Now I have to sit on very soft chairs to avoid the pain. Hence, I am looking for a car with soft seats and suspension. 

Considering all the facts, I will take your advice and just go with a Premio (even though I hate to join the local trend).

Here is the thing....the Premio is not a bad car for what it is. Old fashioned technology (and comfort) with as much new tech retro fitted.

Modern cars will have firmer seats as (apparently) research has shown that the firmer seats actually better for the body in terms of providing support and reducing fatigue on the body (when the seats are soft apparently it puts more strain on certain places of the body than the others). Have you noticed that even on planes it has turned out to be the case ? They are far less cushiony than what they used to be. This is where Nissan actually excels and call their seat tech Zero gravity seats (personally I thikn tey would make more money selling the tech than their cars). 

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Here is the thing....the Premio is not a bad car for what it is. Old fashioned technology (and comfort) with as much new tech retro fitted.

Modern cars will have firmer seats as (apparently) research has shown that the firmer seats actually better for the body in terms of providing support and reducing fatigue on the body (when the seats are soft apparently it puts more strain on certain places of the body than the others). Have you noticed that even on planes it has turned out to be the case ? They are far less cushiony than what they used to be. This is where Nissan actually excels and call their seat tech Zero gravity seats (personally I thikn tey would make more money selling the tech than their cars). 

I guess cars with Zero gravity seats are not yet available in Sri Lanka.

10 minutes ago, C_J said:

I guess cars with Zero gravity seats are not yet available in Sri Lanka.

Well..the latest ones are obviously the best...but the first versions of it did come in cars like the Teana, Serena, etc...so there are cars in SL. It is not something you are going to find stickers and stuff in. Even the Sunny and Sylphy have versions of it or seats developed with the know how.

• Like 1

@iRage

Do you think 2008 Toyota Crown (2013 registered) would be a better option than 2016 Premio?

Toyota Crown
YOM-2008- 2013 Registered (CAA)
Sunroof, ELECTRIC Memory Seats, Suction Doors, Fully Loaded, 
1375000 km fully Toyato Lanka maintained, 3500 cc Hybrid

Edited by C_J
Typo

6 hours ago, C_J said:

@iRage

Do you think 2008 Toyota Crown (2013 registered) would be a better option than 2016 Premio?

Toyota Crown
YOM-2008- 2013 Registered (CAA)
Sunroof, ELECTRIC Memory Seats, Suction Doors, Fully Loaded, 
1375000 km fully Toyato Lanka maintained, 3500 cc Hybrid

Yes..the Crown being an executive luxo barge has far more features for its period. So yes..the Crown will be more comfortable (the ride is softer and quieter. The 2016 Premio is actually still a 2007ish model with new stuff stuck on it and slightly different body parts. With a much larger engine its much easier to drive on highways and stuff and you feel the extra power. However this also means that it is thirstier than a Premio when it comes to petrol. But being a Hybrid it won't be too bad.

At the end of the day it also depends on the condition of the Crown.

Also I think all Crowns came with adjustable seats...so you can adjust the lumbar support and stuff.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Brand new they gave 5.5kmpl city. Max it did was 9 kmpl no matter how or where. search the forum, there was another guy who had one in AL.

Hybrid Battery cost is 600k up. 

other than that solid car.

Edited by fiat fan
  • Like 1

@iRage @fiat fan

I'm worried about spare parts for 2008 Toyota Crown. Seems like it's not very popular in SL. As it's a bit old car and can't be sure that the advertised mileage to be accurate. The following cars are available at the moment;

Toyota Crown
2011 - 3.5L Non-Hybrid - Mileage 95,325km - Rs. 14,000,000
2008 - 3.5L Hybrid - 137,500km - Rs. 11,950,000
2008 - 3.5L Hybrid - 83,000km -  Rs. 12,450,000
2008 - 3.5L Hybrid - 110,000km - V6 Anniversary Model - Price Negotiable 

Premio
2017 - Mileage 35,000km (Emission tests and service records available) - Rs. 12,950,000
2016 - 97,000km - Rs. 11,975,000
2016 - 80,000km - Rs 13,500,000

Considering the above details and price ranges, pls advise me with your opinion.
Is Crown worth at that price range considering all the repairs I'll have to do as it's an old car. I might have to replace the Hybrid battery as well. 

I learned that the mileage can be verified if all Emission test reports are available. What do you think about that?

1 hour ago, C_J said:

@iRage @fiat fan

I'm worried about spare parts for 2008 Toyota Crown. Seems like it's not very popular in SL. As it's a bit old car and can't be sure that the advertised mileage to be accurate. The following cars are available at the moment;

Toyota Crown
2011 - 3.5L Non-Hybrid - Mileage 95,325km - Rs. 14,000,000
2008 - 3.5L Hybrid - 137,500km - Rs. 11,950,000
2008 - 3.5L Hybrid - 83,000km -  Rs. 12,450,000
2008 - 3.5L Hybrid - 110,000km - V6 Anniversary Model - Price Negotiable 

Premio
2017 - Mileage 35,000km (Emission tests and service records available) - Rs. 12,950,000
2016 - 97,000km - Rs. 11,975,000
2016 - 80,000km - Rs 13,500,000

Considering the above details and price ranges, pls advise me with your opinion.
Is Crown worth at that price range considering all the repairs I'll have to do as it's an old car. I might have to replace the Hybrid battery as well. 

I learned that the mileage can be verified if all Emission test reports are available. What do you think about that?

Screw that. 14 mil for a 2008 Toyota? Iyaa

alright bro listen, I’ve seen you asking a bunch of questions about sunroofs,ground clearance and what not. If you can afford 14mil, you can afford to maintain it.

Just go get a 2012+ Audi A6 TDI (2L turbo diesel) and start enjoying. It has everything you, your son and your side chicks will ever need. Can easily bag a 2013-14 mint example for abt 12.5 million.  

Parts and maintenance will cost the same as the crown if done at agents. Plenty of well regarded places outside for cheaper. Very durable and easy to live with. Stick to diesel as prices are almost similar to petrol. Diesel VW group engines are golden.

On the tdi- fuel 10kmpl easy. Can go upto 20 kmpl on highways. Real world figures. No BS. We have a petrol 3.0 supercharged version that does 7ish if you keep it very light.

still looks super good and will do so. Try to bag a 2014 if possible for that all important C number plate and facelift.

there’s an all black example on the quick site with the number-2222. No idea if its good, but it looks clean and will give you an idea.

surprisingly the prices asked now are the same pre Kaputas hitting the planes. 

best 14 mil spent. Much better than that godaya 520d

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fiat fan said:

alright bro listen, I’ve seen you asking a bunch of questions about sunroofs,ground clearance and what not. If you can afford 14mil, you can afford to maintain it.

Just go get a 2012+ Audi A6 TDI (2L turbo diesel) and start enjoying. It has everything you, your son and your side chicks will ever need. Can easily bag a 2013-14 mint example for abt 12.5 million.  

Parts and maintenance will cost the same as the crown if done at agents. Plenty of well regarded places outside for cheaper. Very durable and easy to live with. Stick to diesel as prices are almost similar to petrol. Diesel VW group engines are golden.

On the tdi- fuel 10kmpl easy. Can go upto 20 kmpl on highways. Real world figures. No BS. We have a petrol 3.0 supercharged version that does 7ish if you keep it very light.

still looks super good and will do so. Try to bag a 2014 if possible for that all important C number plate and facelift.

there’s an all black example on the quick site with the number-2222. No idea if its good, but it looks clean and will give you an idea.

I heard that Euro car parts are difficult to find and bla bla. So I was planning to stick with the known devil, Jap.

But I'm here asking question as I want to get the best out of my investment. 
Will be checking that Audi right now 😀

Edited by C_J

1 hour ago, C_J said:

heard that Euro car parts are difficult to find and bla bla. So I was planning to stick with the known devil, Jap.

Crown parts are not as easy to come by as your average Premio/Allion/Axio (lets not kid ourselves,even the easy to come by parts for these cars are fake or cheap Chinese parts).

Whilst the Crown is a better car than the Premio...the unknown history is the concern. Now if you are lucky to find a one owner car that has been loved from day one (there are cars like that...a family friend who sold a car they used in Japan and subsequently in SL).

Neither an Audi or a Crown is going to be any way or form be an investment. A car never is....Audi vs. Crown...well Audi is not my favorite as most of what you get in SL remind me of euro taxis (same with the BMWs and about 75% of the Merc E classes). The Crown Hybrid is also not my favorite (prefer the Athlete a lot more than the Hybrid or the Royal Saloon of the period). The Crown is a lot more comfortable than the A6 (having been in both and driven the Crown). The Crown you are looking at is not a car that has any driving feel to it. But then you haven't mentioned that you need an engaging drivers' car

All things considered and based on what you have been saying throughout this conversation...I feel at the end of the day the safer purchase for you in going to be the Premio. It ticks all your boxes. Simple to run..has basic creature comforts...prices are simply and absolutely not worth it. So see if you can find a reasonably priced one (usually directly sold by owners). Best if you can get a 1.8 or 2.0 variant..price will be a bit lower but much better car to live with (1.5 is under powered). At some point in time when its time to move on..there will be someone willing to buy it if well taken care of. Once imports open up..I feel a certain group of people are going to find the Premio/Allion quite desirable because after the model was cancelled in Japan there really isn't anything like it.

Cars like the Mazda 6 also exist but I feel the firm ride and seats might not be to your liking (which I also think will be the case with the A6 and other Euros).

1 hour ago, iRage said:

The Crown is a lot more comfortable than the A6 (having been in both and driven the Crown). The Crown you are looking at is not a car that has any driving feel to it. But then you haven't mentioned that you need an engaging drivers' car

I just saw a SL video where the young guy mentioned A6 is much more comfortable than the Premio & Camry. Really planning to sit on them & have a test drive if possible so have a real feeling. 

My priorities are as follows;

• Comfortable seats (Sofa like) & comfortable ride (soft suspension)
  • Easy to find spare parts
  • Fewer repairs as possible (especially as I'm buying an old car)
  • Ground clearance of 6'' at least

Driving engagement is not a concern although it's always a plus.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Cars like the Mazda 6 also exist but I feel the firm ride and seats might not be to your liking (which I also think will be the case with the A6 and other Euros).

So, what you are saying is that Crown is more comfortable than any Euro cars, did I get that right?

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Premio.... prices are simply and absolutely not worth it. So see if you can find a reasonably priced one (usually directly sold by owners).

That's the case with Premios, everyone says it's over priced. It's near impossible to find a Premio from a direct owner as Car sale or buying & selling ppl buy it faster. They kinda control the market. 

Edited by C_J
Added "Ground clearance of 6'' at least"

5 hours ago, C_J said:

So, what you are saying is that Crown is more comfortable than any Euro cars, did I get that right?

No..what I am saying is that the Crown is amuch more comfortable car than the Premio or Camry (old one). The Euros have a slightly firmer ride which some people do not like. So you might not get the cloud like ride. Who ever compared an A6 with a Premio or a Camry is an imbecile. They are cars in completely different categories. The closest thing that would come to an A6 would be a Crown or a Mark X. If you are referring to the same youtuber I am thinking of....well...the kid gets excited for the slightest thing other than a run of the mill car.

5 hours ago, C_J said:

It's near impossible to find a Premio from a direct owner as Car sale or buying & selling ppl buy it faster.

You just need to be patient.

5 hours ago, C_J said:

Easy to find spare parts

Some parts would be a challenge even with a Crown. In this aspect...an A6 might be easier in certain instances (Toyota Lank is not the bet when it comes to supporting customers with out of the ordinary parts).

5 hours ago, C_J said:

Fewer repairs as possible (especially as I'm buying an old car)

This is the issue with the Crown for you. Older the car the higher the number of owners or greater the time for people to muck it up. Thus the newer the car the slightly lower the risk.

5 hours ago, C_J said:

Driving engagement is not a concern although it's always a plus.

Here is the thing with Toyotas...and this has been the case for decades upon decades. All their standard models are pretty mundane to drive in its base state. But...make a few upgrades and adjustments here and there...the cars liven up. For some models Toyota them selves did it....e.g. standard Aqua vs. Aqua GR Sport...same with the Vitz...in the past it was same with the RS grades or even the GT trim levels. So....

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 1:46 PM, fiat fan said:

When I went through Audi threads, I saw posts about how difficult it was to find some spare parts. Some ppl had to get it from UK etc. I think it's too much trouble for someone like me who likes a hassle-free life 😁 (although it's never possible). 

This is interesting @iRage

When I requested emission reports, someone sent me records from 2017 to 2022 for a 2017 registered Premio. ( 46,000km). But 2022 report still has the bottom tear-off slip which they tear off at the registration office. I asked for 2023 report but no reply. It looks like the car has not been registered since 2022. It's not with the registered owner. Said he's doing buying & selling.

What could be the story behind this incident?

Maybe someone tried to keep it hidden from the leasing company since 2022. (parked somewhere?)

Attached is the emission report I'm talking about. I removed the vehicle number to avoid any issues.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 2.jpeg

3 hours ago, C_J said:

This is interesting @iRage

When I requested emission reports, someone sent me records from 2017 to 2022 for a 2017 registered Premio. ( 46,000km). But 2022 report still has the bottom tear-off slip which they tear off at the registration office. I asked for 2023 report but no reply. It looks like the car has not been registered since 2022. It's not with the registered owner. Said he's doing buying & selling.

What could be the story behind this incident?

Maybe someone tried to keep it hidden from the leasing company since 2022. (parked somewhere?)

Attached is the emission report I'm talking about. I removed the vehicle number to avoid any issues.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 2.jpeg

Could be that he doesn't want to do anything that might put his name on any of the car's paperwork. So it could be that the car was bought buy him sometime ago and he either held on to it hoping prices would go higher. Whan had he bought the car ?

Also, don't be fooled. These brokers and car sales people, when they buy these cars they don't keep it just sitting there. They have a tendency to rent out these cars for weddings and staff and/or use it themselves.

16 hours ago, iRage said:

Could be that he doesn't want to do anything that might put his name on any of the car's paperwork.

But he could just renew the registration with the previous owner's name right? They just ask for the emission report & previous registration.

When had he bought the car ?

He said last week. Obviously not's not the case as we can see.

Also, don't be fooled. These brokers and car sales people, when they buy these cars they don't keep it just sitting there. They have a tendency to rent out these cars for weddings and staff and/or use it themselves.

Without renewing the car license? I doubt it. 

Anyway, I'm not buying a car from a sale or buying & selling ppl. I'm just trying to understand these things that they do.

Call me biased but I loved the seats in my old P11, once did a trip with 5 blokes and luggage to Polonnaruwa and Trinco in utmost comfort with no complains and we were back at work next day. Did a lot of visits to Anuradhapura district, Ratnapura district and Jaffna district and was always back at work the next day with no side effects or weariness shows how good those seats were.

Going by what you are looking for get a Teana, they are supposed to be very comfy with a thirst for petrol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

Call me biased but I loved the seats in my old P11, once did a trip with 5 blokes and luggage to Polonnaruwa and Trinco in utmost comfort with no complains and we were back at work next day. Did a lot of visits to Anuradhapura district, Ratnapura district and Jaffna district and was always back at work the next day with no side effects or weariness shows how good those seats were.

Going by what you are looking for get a Teana, they are supposed to be very comfy with a thirst for petrol.

Looks like newer models of Nissan Primera or Teana are not available for sale these days