• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

When you wanted to be an suv,but mama said be a van…

fiat fan

So I’ve done it again…

Remember them reliable shitbox needed threads looking for every vans and shiiz? Well those won’t be necessary anymore.

This is my idea of a daily as it turns out!

It’s a 1988 Mitsubishi Delica (L300) P25V

4x4

4d56 Turbo

A giant “bull bar”

Ice cold D/AC

3WL and Bike threatening height and face.

Ideal daily for Kandy.

Pictures don’t seem to be uploading. Will write longer in the morning.

Show some love jdm peops 😊

Viewrecentphotos.png.b1837fbd0141c50a47f1d28649c4eda6.png

Edited by fiat fan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fiat fan said:

So I’ve done it again…

Remember them reliable shitbox needed threads looking for every vans and shiiz? Well those won’t be necessary anymore.

4x4

4d56 Turbo

A giant “bull bar”

Ice cold D/AC

Ideal daily for Kandy.

Congratulations!

That is indeed a lovely vehicle to have. I believe its running L200 running gear? I wouldnt mind getting one but seems the prices have gone up drastically during the last year or so.

Careful on taking bends too fast because of the high center of gravity than a double cab or SUV. Change the wheels, try to get an original set or get some steel wheels and remove that hood rack.

BTW does it have the full rotating seats and the cool box at the front?

One of my uncles had one (not in good condition) I dont know why he bought it in SL as he is in Qatar and never had plans to come back. I never saw it but believe it had the full glass roof and the works, sold it off sometime back as his bro in law couldnt maintain it and it was rusting he never asked me to look after it 😪. I have three such uncles who dont do the right thing. One is the former and then there is the elder  one who lives in the US and wants to maintain a Humber Hawk in SL (now its rusted to the metal, last time I asked he said he was doing a proper restoration and wanted me to go hunting for parts cars.) Only reason he says he wants to keep it is because queen Elizabeth had given it to Sri Lanka 🤷‍♂️. He had a VW beetle and he told me to rescue it when it was too far gone. And the other has been a MINI lover had a MINI rusting at home for close to 20 years and sold it off when he moved houses, in the meantime troubled me to take him hunting for MIN's which I did and got him one which I did the required repairs and handed back to him, never took it out from home for once or twice (in 2 years). I told my mom that I am not going to help them again.

Edited by Gummybr

8 hours ago, fiat fan said:

So I’ve done it again…

4x4

4d56 Turbo

A giant “bull bar”

Ice cold D/AC

Ideal daily for Kandy.

Oooh ! Very nice ! Looking forward to seeing more pics of her....

I know the later model had more or less everything off of a Pajero...does this as well ?

Also, becareful of that bullbar...the other owners seem to cry all the time about the cops giving them a hard time over it.

6 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Congratulations!

That is indeed a lovely vehicle to have. I believe its running L200 running gear? I wouldnt mind getting one but seems the prices have gone up drastically during the last year or so.

Careful on taking bends too fast because of the high center of gravity than a double cab or SUV. Change the wheels, try to get an original set or get some steel wheels and remove that hood rack.

BTW does it have the full rotating seats and the cool box at the front?

One of my uncles had one (not in good condition) I dont know why he bought it in SL as he is in Qatar and never had plans to come back. I never saw it but believe it had the full glass roof and the works, sold it off sometime back as his bro in law couldnt maintain it and it was rusting he never asked me to look after it 😪. I have three such uncles who dont do the right thing. One is the former and then there is the elder  one who lives in the US and wants to maintain a Humber Hawk in SL (now its rusted to the metal, last time I asked he said he was doing a proper restoration and wanted me to go hunting for parts cars.) Only reason he says he wants to keep it is because queen Elizabeth had given it to Sri Lanka 🤷‍♂️. He had a VW beetle and he told me to rescue it when it was too far gone. And the other has been a MINI lover had a MINI rusting at home for close to 20 years and sold it off when he moved houses, in the meantime troubled me to take him hunting for MIN's which I did and got him one which I did the required repairs and handed back to him, never took it out from home for once or twice (in 2 years). I told my mom that I am not going to help them again.

Thanks bro!

This has the fancy seats but no cool box, can be fixed for not too much money.

Your uncle must have had the star wagon, very rare and quite pricey. Although Lankans prefer the non sunroof versions, because most leak and are sealed shut by now.

Seems you have some fun relatives 😁

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Oooh ! Very nice ! Looking forward to seeing more pics of her....

I know the later model had more or less everything off of a Pajero...does this as well ?

Also, becareful of that bullbar...the other owners seem to cry all the time about the cops giving them a hard time over it.

Thanks bro. Pretty much a Palathsaba Pajero according to the FB pages.

These were non intercooler, only the Pajero got them.

It’s usually the big bars extending sideways that have cop issues. So far so good.

3 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

When you said a Mitsubishi never thought it'd end up being one of these!... Congratulations!

BTW moar pics please 😊

Thank you bro! 

Haha Quite the odd Mitsu it is!

coming up

Posted (edited)
  • GL mirrors-17.5K
  • Body beading- under 25K
  • Rims-45K to 75K
  • Tires - 65k Dunlop AT Japan
  • Horn
  • Genuine Jap Yellow fogs

• Paint touchup
  • Bull bar paint

• Door cards-
  • Head unit(Android) - 26.5K
  • Speakers-15K
  • Carpeting
  • Coil carpet
  • Tint

• Oil and filter change
  • Air and diesel filter change
  • Diff oil
  • “Dunu” bush - 3K
  • Ball joints
  • Gear stick bushes

• Clutch adjustment
  • Door pins and razors
  • Rattle fix (seats and windows)
  • Stronger Reverse light (cant see jack)
  • Also some sound deadening would help. Reliable but loud engines for sure!

Here’s what needs replacing and few mods. Will be keeping it as is for few years with minimal mods and such.

If I do keep it for more than 10 Years, I will do a classy factory fresh restore on it. I guess time will tell.

These have jumped in price like @Gummybr mentioned, thanks to a monk and a few guys who are heavy on Social Media. The more desirable higher specs and the english numbers go for a lot of money. The mintest examples ask anywhere from 6.5 to 9 Mil. Too much imo.

Attached few pics taken soon after purchase.

Any advices and tips are appreciated.

IMG_9077.jpeg

IMG_9083.jpeg

IMG_9107.jpeg

IMG_9087.jpeg

5DFE8E5F-9712-44D2-9A1E-20A747D47055.jpeg

IMG_9076.jpeg

IMG_9066.jpeg

IMG_9071.jpeg

IMG_9067.jpeg

IMG_9068.jpeg

Edited by fiat fan
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, fiat fan said:
  • GL mirrors-17.5K
  • Body beading- under 25K
  • Rims-45K to 75K
  • Tires - 65k Dunlop AT Japan
  • Horn
  • Genuine Jap Yellow fogs

• Paint touchup
  • Bull bar paint

• Door cards-
  • Head unit(Android) - 26.5K
  • Speakers-15K
  • Carpeting
  • Coil carpet
  • Tint

• Oil and filter change
  • Air and diesel filter change
  • Diff oil
  • “Dunu” bush - 3K
  • Ball joints
  • Gear stick bushes

• Clutch adjustment
  • Door pins and razors
  • Rattle fix (seats and windows)
  • Stronger Reverse light (cant see jack)
  • Also some sound deadening would help. Reliable but loud engines for sure!

Here’s what needs replacing and few mods. Will be keeping it as is for few years with minimal mods and such.

If I do keep it for more than 10 Years, I will do a classy factory fresh restore on it. I guess time will tell.

These have jumped in price like @Gummybr mentioned, thanks to a monk and a few guys who are heavy on Social Media. The more desirable higher specs and the english numbers go for a lot of money. The mintest examples ask anywhere from 6.5 to 9 Mil. Too much imo.

Attached few pics taken soon after purchase.

Any advices and tips are appreciated.

IMG_9077.jpeg

IMG_9083.jpeg

IMG_9107.jpeg

IMG_9087.jpeg

5DFE8E5F-9712-44D2-9A1E-20A747D47055.jpeg

IMG_9076.jpeg

IMG_9066.jpeg

IMG_9071.jpeg

IMG_9067.jpeg

IMG_9068.jpeg

V8ACg7L.gif

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 6:39 AM, fiat fan said:

So I’ve done it again…

4x4

4d56 Turbo

A giant “bull bar”

Ice cold D/AC

Ideal daily for Kandy.

Congratulations mate
I think it's time to change your name to Mitzifan or Delifan lol

I had one of these in SL back in 2006, Dad ended up selling that back in 2014.

Still I have a soft spot for a P25

A story about P25’s: 

One of the most underrated vans in SL glad to see it is getting the recognition it deserves.

It is the best Van for camping, and overloading, and has lots of potential for lifting and modification for off-road use. I had an L400 and the later model D5, but the P25 is a different animal.

I think this same body design came out in 1986 and I think up to 2015 or 16 with the legendary 4D56, 4G63 or 4D56T engine.

Many trim levels and top of the line Star Wagon with Skylight roof and a hot and cool box.

My P25 story: 

The Van changed my mind about a P25 57-52xx after test driving that van I tried to convince my Dad to buy that but he had no money for that, that was in 2001.

Things changed by 2006 and was able to afford it, so wanted to buy the same 57- van but it has changed hands and the owner doesn't want to sell it.

Checked dozens of them and set my mind on the GI 17xx

Had a great time with it, we went around the country with the van and it has made it to places a van has never been to.

Gone through 2 engines during our ownership. Ha ha

Once it cracked the block and piston rod decided to come out to see the sunlight, haha

that same engine gave up a year later and we change the engine to a Jap import

It was a family van, daily for me, a party house and last it's a Fake Taxi haha

Look after P25:

Make sure to look after the cooling system if they get hot then the cylinder head doesn't like that.

I would encourage you to change the cambelt along with the balance belt + water pump and thermostat.

Blank the EGR

Change the fixed front hubs to manual hubs, this will improve the fuel consumption slightly and loosen the steering (Pajero and L200 hubs are a direct fit)

Happy motoring @fiat fan

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4855.jpeg

IMG_4856.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, john cooper said:

I think this same body design came out in 1986 and I think up to 2015 or 16 with the legendary 4D56, 4G63 or 4D56T engine.

The P20 series (3rd gen) body and chassis were first introduced in 1986. The production ended for major markets in 1999. However, Taiwan, Indonesia and the Philippines kept the model in production till around 2017. It was built by local carriage builders under licensing from Mitsubishi (similarly some carraige builders kept producing the . This was mainly the cargo van. The P20 series wagon was officially called the Star Wagon. Whether it had a glass roof and what kind of glass roof depended on the trim level (AERO Roof package, Crystal Light Roof, Sun roof packages). It was introduced in 1989 and was around till 1998 for major markets. What is interesting is although they stopped making it in 1998 they had enough stock to keep it selling till 2000 or 2001 or something ! After that it was built by Mitsubishi's Taiwan partner till like 2012 or something.

In 1994 the next gen was released and named the SPACE GEAR (PA/PE series). Yes there was an overlap ! No idea why...as both had 4WD and RWD variants(Star Wagon remained part time whilst the SPACE GEAR became full-time). The only difference was that the P25 only had some base trims (DX, GLX and some Limited packaged introduced now and then), whilst the PA/PE series SPACE GEAR had more upmarket variants (Exceed, Super Exceed, XG, etc..). So I guess they were priming the market for the Delica to get a bit more upmarket, not to mention pushing out a ton of produced shells. The highest trim of the P25 was about 2.5mil yen whilst the cheapest 4WD SPACE GEAR started at 2.5mil yen and went all the way up to about 4.5mil yen. So quite a huge leap in price.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2024 at 1:48 PM, john cooper said:

Congratulations mate
I think it's time to change your name to Mitzifan or Delifan lol

I had one of these in SL back in 2006, Dad ended up selling that back in 2014.

Still I have a soft spot for a P25

A story about P25’s: 

One of the most underrated vans in SL glad to see it is getting the recognition it deserves.

It is the best Van for camping, and overloading, and has lots of potential for lifting and modification for off-road use. I had an L400 and the later model D5, but the P25 is a different animal.

Many trim levels and top of the line Star Wagon with Skylight roof and a hot and cool box.

My P25 story: 

The Van changed my mind about a P25 57-52xx after test driving that van I tried to convince my Dad to buy that but he had no money for that, that was in 2001.

Things changed by 2006 and was able to afford it, so wanted to buy the same 57- van but it has changed hands and the owner doesn't want to sell it.

Checked dozens of them and set my mind on the GI 17xx

Had a great time with it, we went around the country with the van and it has made it to places a van has never been to.

Gone through 2 engines during our ownership. Ha ha

Once it cracked the block and piston rod decided to come out to see the sunlight, haha

that same engine gave up a year later and we change the engine to a Jap import

It was a family van, daily for me, a party house and last it's a Fake Taxi haha

Look after P25:

Make sure to look after the cooling system if they get hot then the cylinder head doesn't like that.

I would encourage you to change the cambelt along with the balance belt + water pump and thermostat.

Blank the EGR

Change the fixed front hubs to manual hubs, this will improve the fuel consumption slightly and loosen the steering (Pajero and L200 hubs are a direct fit)

Happy motoring @fiat fan

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4855.jpeg

IMG_4856.jpeg

Thanks for the reply bro. I read most of your comments and threads about the p25 before purchase. Very Helpful indeed. You seem to have been the only member with a p25 in AL. 

Thats a nice example you had. Shame you guys moved it on.

Yup this design was from 1986 onwards. This has the 4d56T engine. Very reliable but bit noisy as I’m told. Pulls decent for it’s age.

Will take heed of your suggestions, thanks alot!

8 hours ago, tiv said:

Overjoyed to see this thread!

Thanks 😊 

Will update when possible!

So got the service done.

Changed the Oil and Diesel filter.Air filter was fine as-is.Also changed and topped all the fluids. 

IMG_9300.thumb.jpeg.c3ced5b5e940519c53d73f58fe23a249.jpeg

at the service.

Brakes/clutch was in order. Came with an undercoating. Had no rust.

Can feel a definite improvement in the drive from noise levels to smoothness. Even goes a-bit faster. Overall a much needed service.

Also got the Leaf spring bushes changed. 300 a piece and 300 per side labor. Kinda hilarious how cheap these vehicles are to repair.

Starter motor needs attention, so does the fuel pump top bit. Also a Diesel tank and line cleanup was recommended.

very happy purchase so far.All issues were disclosed and discounted at sale.Had no horror stories lurking, owner was honest (rare in Lanka) which was a blessing.

IMG_9325.thumb.jpeg.a427e9da034c92cd8e9d892e68c45049.jpeg
yup, these faded lights will be replaced.

IMG_9326.thumb.jpeg.9ff2eb3c222666ff27423d6a48825deb.jpeg

Looking like a wow 😋

Also few neighbors think I’m broke now, cos 54- Aiyo some Lankans.. still in the gutter!

Next Up is tires and wheels. The 255s  installed are waay too big and cumbersome. They will be replaced with 215(original spec) All Terrain tires. I would like to keep this close to stock with a few twists.

Any help with the Alloy choices guys?

70cefb61-a1b9-4572-9abb-797dfac61af9.thumb.jpeg.806d0ca919d1ca95811a9cd521c2d21a.jpeg

Factory spec wheel. Obviously this one needs buffing. Good wheel but kinda common.

8deb1a62-0127-480c-8223-4a7756632e18.thumb.jpeg.acc4213ff1ed6a480fa1218eb21cad43.jpeg

how it looks on!

IMG_9366.thumb.jpeg.53a9e6612df470fa7aaf0ea4246f3dfa.jpeg
Now this is what I’m inclined towards. Off a Pajero, so still Mitsubishi. Not as common on p25’s.

IMG_9365.thumb.jpeg.e7621af8852bdfc6bb8948c214bd8a06.jpeg

how it looks. The blue stripe wont be added on mine.

which one you guys prefer?

Edited by fiat fan

She's looking gorgeous. you cant remove the Sri Lankan Mindset, just ignore them. most of the folks thinks that when it comes to replacing parts that's the end of the vehicle and you need to replace the vehicle immediately. Restorations and rebuilds are not in their books..

on Wheels, Factory Spec wheels would be fine i guess.. if you can source bits and pieces from yahoo auctions that would be cheaper.. well that's my go to place for hard to find trim pieces, tail lamps and headlamps etc. quite resourceful i would say.

Edited by Ruslan

After many months in the doldrums there's something to buzz about in these forums!!! Now that my good sir is a surprise and a really good one at that! Congratulations! 

To add a totally irrelevant bit of information : After O/L's I aspired to become a sci-fi writer  and somewhere gathering dust in a cupboard is a half-written story of a scientist who drove a two-tone version of this (and that was supposed to have steel wheels ) 

I can hear the diesel motor rumbling and can smell the fumes! I can now remember what the scientist's pretty  daughter who was a result of a genetic experiment was supposed to looked like! 

On 5/5/2024 at 12:21 AM, fiat fan said:

which one you guys prefer?

These will add to the overall bad-assery 

image.png.d4c94232d6758e3aabbc74c679cccb6e.png

4 hours ago, iRage said:

The Pajero one seems a bit too busy with all those holes

Very valid point - but for some reason this van is the type that deserves to look a bit busy. 

btw @iRage - the brochure you posted - a scan from your collection or one you found on the net? 

Edited by matroska

On 5/5/2024 at 5:48 PM, Ruslan said:

She's looking gorgeous. you cant remove the Sri Lankan Mindset, just ignore them. most of the folks thinks that when it comes to replacing parts that's the end of the vehicle and you need to replace the vehicle immediately. Restorations and rebuilds are not in their books..

on Wheels, Factory Spec wheels would be fine i guess.. if you can source bits and pieces from yahoo auctions that would be cheaper.. well that's my go to place for hard to find trim pieces, tail lamps and headlamps etc. quite resourceful i would say.

Thanks bro.

I find those guys hilarious. People have a real number plate fetish.

Yahoo Auctions are on my mind. But these vans have a whole lot of spares in the country, specially Kandy and Mawanella areas where I am. Prices are competitive tbh.

Noted on the OG rims

On 5/6/2024 at 8:16 AM, SamN said:

image.png.54e98bf48742f9e85832afa56d4dd058.png

My vote goes to Steel Wheels

Steelies are a good option,but they don’t work well with smaller tires I plan on getting- (215/70R15)

On 5/6/2024 at 9:35 AM, tiv said:

image.thumb.png.bf6111564fc6e55bc37392351acd1827.pngI'd vote for these, I'm based in Kandy and building a tiny 4x4 myself. Happy to help if needed!

I’m also little inclined towards these tbh.

Hello fellow Kandyan! Will sure do 😊

On 5/6/2024 at 1:12 PM, iRage said:

NGL...I am a simpleton and like simple things. Therefore I liked the base wheels in the GLX the most :)

It also came in polished silver/light-gray.

image.thumb.jpeg.35463559aa7a6732f4fea48cede60201.jpeg

But of the two I do prefer the original one. The Pajero one seems a bit too busy with all those holes :D

Well that's a coincidence because the spare wheel is the GLX wheel but fully chrome. 

lol I like holes can’t lie 🤪

On 5/6/2024 at 6:10 PM, matroska said:

After many months in the doldrums there's something to buzz about in these forums!!! Now that my good sir is a surprise and a really good one at that! Congratulations! 

To add a totally irrelevant bit of information : After O/L's I aspired to become a sci-fi writer  and somewhere gathering dust in a cupboard is a half-written story of a scientist who drove a two-tone version of this (and that was supposed to have steel wheels ) 

I can hear the diesel motor rumbling and can smell the fumes! I can now remember what the scientist's pretty  daughter who was a result of a genetic experiment was supposed to looked like! 

These will add to the overall bad-assery 

image.png.d4c94232d6758e3aabbc74c679cccb6e.png

Very valid point - but for some reason this van is the type that deserves to look a bit busy. 

btw @iRage - the brochure you posted - a scan from your collection or one you found on the net? 

Thanks bro.

The forums are very dull indeed.

You seem to have a very creative mind! Should have pursued it further.I can just picture that nerdy girl with horn rimmed glass who turns to be baad 😉

These vans were iconic back then, the yeehaw fellas seem to be into the most. Cheaper there too weirdly.

Thats the thing about this van, it was meant to be kinda flashy. They like being decorated. But I also want to keep it clean as much as I can.

On 5/6/2024 at 6:37 PM, sathyajithj99 said:

Congratulations on your ride.Factory spec wheels seem to match it better than the others imo

Thanks bro. Taken into consideration 

4 minutes ago, iRage said:

From the net. I am in SL and the catalogs are in JPN. So don't have access to it 😕 

Would really appreciate it you could upload them when possible!

5 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Thats the thing about this van, it was meant to be kinda flashy. They like being decorated. But I also want to keep it clean as much as I can.

You should get the old-school Japanese decals that have totally random words put together :) You know...the ones that don't mean anything but in a strange way says something.

6 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Would really appreciate it you could upload them when possible!

👍

1 minute ago, iRage said:

You should get the old-school Japanese decals that have totally random words put together :) You know...the ones that don't mean anything but in a strange way says something.

👍

I was thinking Canibeat and Nihonbashi 😅😅 jk

Soo…

The cops hate the van!

Pulled over twice for the crash-bar. Managed to talk it out. 

funny story-

popo - mahattaya japane minissu gana hithan nathi unata Lankawe api hithanawa.

me- Ayo like wtf? Really?!

Was also spearing BS like these are delivery vans and why You got tires so big etc etc. saying this is the P25 with the 4WD and not the base PO5 went unnoticed.

Colombo and big city cops dont seem to care. The gama fellas do. They were ready to accept favors too 😉 which I said no to.

Apparently RMV can include the crash-bar into the CR, but no-one has a clear answer. Money would help I’m told.

Worse case I’ll take it off I guess. One cop said fiber is ok, but another said no.

On a Positive note-IMG_9409.thumb.jpeg.e7004d3812a3a3591ad92772676e0d1d.jpeg

IMG_9410.thumb.jpeg.03b131aea4e4ca4ffa6b8e6abb138b45.jpeg
Got these bad boys for the stereo upgrade.

IMG_9398.thumb.jpeg.18d2b1f0da1d29e9e5b120436ce0dce3.jpeg

So this one is confusing, the chassis decoders say this is a DX DT (Pictured Above)  which is highly likely as specs seem to match minus sunroof which might have been removed(traces visible)

But some decoders say this is a GL/GLX. Can our JDM gurus point me to a correct decoder please?

IMG_9401.thumb.png.eff3b9df7871914438cc288ae98d4c40.png
Also this is the color it came with from Japan according to the vin tag. Very fresh imo.

IMG_9375.thumb.jpeg.95b69ea9560fb5f7e29bb2f2e2a40e38.jpeg
Well Good Night AL.