• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota CHR vs Premio

C_J

Question

Hi,

I'm looking for an everyday car to travel within city limits and occasionally to travel outstation. This is for my personal use. (Not looking to make a profit by re-selling).

What's my best option under 15M (150,00,000).

How do you compare Toyota CHR vs Premio?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

7 hours ago, C_J said:

How do you compare Toyota CHR vs Premio?

You don't...because you can't. One is a cross over the other is a mid sized sedan.

One is actually a newer platform whilst the other (Premio..in case you are missing it) is a platform that is 20(+) years old. The CHR has firmer suspension and the body design makes it feel very small and congested inside. The Premio feels more roomy and has a very soft suspension setup (thus ride). The CHR interior feels more youthful and modern whilst (depending on the grade) the Premio interior will feel a bit nicer but from the 1990s. The CHR is more engaging to drive. Driving the Premio feels like driving a sofa that is on a bowl of jelly. The Premio, if you get the 1.5L, will feel slow and lethargic. The CHR will be more nippy.

30 minutes ago, iRage said:

The Premio feels more roomy

The "feels roomy" is something a few premio owners I know specifically mentioned specially with the lighter colored interior. They say it has a 'relaxing effect' :a relative of mine remarked that the interior of my FK6 Civic to feel 'less roomy' and unwelcoming since it was black and even the interior bits and pieces seemed aggressive. when in fact the civic actually had more room than the premio. Horses for courses really - some people do just enjoy the simplistic, sofa/living room feel of the premio. 

23 minutes ago, matroska said:

The "feels roomy" is something a few premio owners I know specifically mentioned specially with the lighter colored interior. They say it has a 'relaxing effect' :a relative of mine remarked that the interior of my FK6 Civic to feel 'less roomy' and unwelcoming since it was black and even the interior bits and pieces seemed aggressive. when in fact the civic actually had more room than the premio. Horses for courses really - some people do just enjoy the simplistic, sofa/living room feel of the premio. 

It is a design thing actually...Same thing was being told to me whilst comparing a Premio to my mark X. Low flung waist lines mean potential for large windows that lets more light to come in. Lighter interiors use that light to make the space brighter.

The same principle applies in interior design. If you take a HHUUUGGGEEE room and then put small windows, paint it a dull color and have little light, you will feel like you are in a cave and even feel claustrophobic. Now, if you take a small room, put big windows in it, paint it a bright light color, then you feel less constrained because of all that light. The Premio/Allion does the same thing. With newer cars, the thing is even if the interior is larger, they use a lot of dark colors, have waistlines that taper up and roof lines that taper down with windows that progressively get smaller. On top of that there is a lot of padding, etc...so...you would naturally feel like you are in a smaller space. At the same time...get into something like an old B11 or a B310 with significantly smaller interiors, they feel roomier.

7 hours ago, iRage said:

You don't...because you can't. One is a cross over the other is a mid sized sedan.

One is actually a newer platform whilst the other (Premio..in case you are missing it) is a platform that is 20(+) years old. The CHR has firmer suspension and the body design makes it feel very small and congested inside. The Premio feels more roomy and has a very soft suspension setup (thus ride). The CHR interior feels more youthful and modern whilst (depending on the grade) the Premio interior will feel a bit nicer but from the 1990s. The CHR is more engaging to drive. Driving the Premio feels like driving a sofa that is on a bowl of jelly. The Premio, if you get the 1.5L, will feel slow and lethargic. The CHR will be more nippy.

I guess, you just did compare them 😃

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Driving the Premio feels like driving a sofa that is on a bowl of jelly

That's really a cool simile 🤣
You seems like a fan of Premio 😀

3 hours ago, C_J said:

You seems like a fan of Premio 

No...I hate it. The Premio/Allion stopped being popular over here (I live in Japan) around 2012. It barely met our safety and emission regulations. Also, the more popular variants of the Premio/Allion in Japan were the 1.8L and 2.0L variants which were much better in terms of performance. Over here the 1.5L was popular around 2012 as rental cars and business cars.

• Like 1