Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • -1

Toyota Premio Vs CHR


Question

Dear friends

What will be better Premio NZT260 2019 or CHR NGX50 (4WD) 2019 when considered following

1. Comfort and driving comfort

2. Smoothness, refinement and calmness inside the cabin. I mean engine and gear box noises, road noises, insulation of sounds coming from out side, sounds coming from suspension when running on gravel roads etc.

3. Fuel economy and suitability for octane 92 (not always, but only when 95 is not available)

4. Less maintenance and repairs

5. Suitability for Sri Lankan road conditions

6. Softness of steering wheel, brake & accelerator pedals (I prefer them to be very soft)

Note: I'm NOT interested in stability during cornering since normally I slow down the car when I take bends.

The reason why I mentioned CHR 4WD instead of 2WD is, in 2WD, ground clearance is even low.

If there any other better options, let me know them as well.

 

 

 

Edited by FoxHill
Add some missed questions
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

 

1 hour ago, FoxHill said:

Dear friends

What will be better Premio NZT260 2019 or CHR NGX50 (4WD) 2019 when considered following

1. Comfort and driving comfort

2. Smoothness, refinement and calmness inside the cabin. I mean engine and gear box noises, road noises, insulation of sounds coming from out side, sounds coming from suspension when running on gravel roads etc.

3. Fuel economy and suitability for octane 92 (not always, but only when 95 is not available)

4. Less maintenance and repairs

5. Suitability for Sri Lankan road conditions

6. Softness of steering wheel, brake & accelerator pedals (I prefer them to be very soft)

Note: I'm NOT interested in stability during cornering since normally I slow down the car when I take bends.

The reason why I mentioned CHR 4WD instead of 2WD is, in 2WD, ground clearance is even low.

If there any other better options, let me know them as well.

 

 

 

For the priorities you have listed above the Premio would be the better choice. When getting it check if it has the latest safety system and the the additional air bags (in terms of safety the CHR is better).

And do note that the CHR is also comfortable and would be a more engaging driving experience than the Premio (from the above feel that you value comfort over driving pleasure ;) ). It also has adaptive cruise control to make long highway drives more comfortable which the Premio does not have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, FoxHill said:

. Fuel economy and suitability for octane 92 (not always, but only when 95 is not available)

 

6. Softness of steering wheel, brake & accelerator pedals (I prefer them to be very soft)

Note: I'm NOT interested in stability during cornering since normally I slow down the car when I take bends.

Go with premio G supeerial.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, ruwds said:

I suggest you go with a Rolls Royce or Bentley. Will give you points 1 and 2 :)

A very good idea. Only downside is in case of accident or repair, parts are not readily available in the SL market. But there is a nice solution. We have to buy two of them instead of one. Then, if RR 1 is in the garage, we can leisurely use RR 2 until spares for RR 1comes and the get the repair done. (I prefer RR over Bentley). However annual revenue license cost etc will be double.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, FoxHill said:

A very good idea. Only downside is in case of accident or repair, parts are not readily available in the SL market. But there is a nice solution. We have to buy two of them instead of one. Then, if RR 1 is in the garage, we can leisurely use RR 2 until spares for RR 1comes and the get the repair done. (I prefer RR over Bentley). However annual revenue license cost etc will be double.

Well..I suggest you keep one unregistered.  That way you dont have to pay he rev. li. fee....actually if you write a nice letter to customs saying that one is just a parts car and never be regisered you wouldn't even have to pay import duty for one.  When your registered RR breaks down...just use your Premio for a day and your personal team of mechanics can fix it.

Now..don't get me wrong..., the Premio is the best option for you if those are your priorities/requirements. ....the Premio is a 13 year old platform. even in 2019 you get 2004-2007 mechanical and platform tech (which is why Sri Lankans like it because any maka baas can fix it with easy to find parts) By 2019 Toyota stuck modern safety devices on it to meet legal requirements in Japan. It is over priced for what it is and there are better newer options out there for around the same budget (from Toyota as well as other manufacturers). However, modern cars have harder rides (for better handling) and firmer seats (for health reasons) so it will not meet your requirements.

The Premio/Allion models are discontinued from March. In fact most dealers have not even tried to sell them since late last year (apparently). Not sure how this would effect the market in SL.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, FoxHill said:

A very good idea. Only downside is in case of accident or repair, parts are not readily available in the SL market. But there is a nice solution. We have to buy two of them instead of one. Then, if RR 1 is in the garage, we can leisurely use RR 2 until spares for RR 1comes and the get the repair done. (I prefer RR over Bentley). However annual revenue license cost etc will be double.

Ah wonderful you prefer RR over Bentley. Excellent choice! It is very simple, just be the agent in SL and all your parts woes are gone, and on the positive side, you may make some cash too :)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Go for the Premio if you want no nonsense comfort. Even ground clearance Premio is better unless you get the CHR 4WD without body kit.

Allions and Premios are very comfortable reliable cars that is why they are so popular here. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, kush said:

Even ground clearance Premio is better unless you get the CHR 4WD without body kit.

Premio has better ground clearance on paper than the CHR AWD as well. CHR AWD has 155mm of ground clearance (without the body kit) where as Premio has 160mm of ground clearance for the 2WD model.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

Premio has better ground clearance on paper than the CHR AWD as well

Of course, officially published ground clearance very misleading. Some manufacturers mention the GC between wheels where as some mention the GC at overhang. For an example, in Lancer EX, it's 165mm. But in the over hang part. The actual GC between wheels seems around 200mm. In fact it's something like an SUV having a sedan body.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, FoxHill said:

What is the relationship between firm suspension (harder ride) and better handling?

When the suspension is soft..there is body roll and sway. When there is sway and body roll the body acts like a heavy swing that will pull on the base of the car (or the wheels which is keeping the car grounded). So, when you take corners or turn; the body will start to swing out and drag the body away from the corner/turn. If you try to do quick turns (one to the left and one to the right or vice versa), the car will not be able to do it well because the body will swing in one diretion and won't be able to turn in the other direction fast enough.

When the suspension is hard...there is less body roll and sway. Thus, when the car tries to do turns or brake hard the body will not swing out or bounce around and pull the car around. thus you get better handling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Based on your requirements, go for the Premio.

I own a 2020 C-HR (NGX10 - 2WD), and it's not a very practical vehicle especially if you have a family (rear seat visibility is horrible) and need to haul stuff around (limited boot space, say, compared to a Honda Vezel or an MG ZS). Oh, and the 8NR-FTS engine requires 95 Octane (I've never had difficulties finding 95, even outstations). 

Driving it, though, is quite fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 1/30/2021 at 6:08 PM, kirala2 said:

Based on your requirements, go for the Premio.

I own a 2020 C-HR (NGX10 - 2WD), and it's not a very practical vehicle especially if you have a family (rear seat visibility is horrible) and need to haul stuff around (limited boot space, say, compared to a Honda Vezel or an MG ZS). Oh, and the 8NR-FTS engine requires 95 Octane (I've never had difficulties finding 95, even outstations). 

Driving it, though, is quite fun.

I have a Corolla Sport which has the same 8NR-FTS and it runs fine with 92 Octane. Which i believe is inline with Japanese Regular as specified for the Car.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
22 hours ago, kush said:

I have a Corolla Sport which has the same 8NR-FTS and it runs fine with 92 Octane. Which i believe is inline with Japanese Regular as specified for the Car.

Yes...the JDM requirements for the 8NR-FTS requires regular gasoline which can range anything from 91-95 octane depending on the supplier.  But on the other hand but on the other hand if you check the manual for a UK spec CHR with the same engine it says 95 Oct.

In SL, more than the octane, it could be whatever additives that may or may not be present in the two different types of fuel. I believe a few years ago it was stated that 95 had some additives which helps combustion and maintaining the purity of the fuel lines; whilst the 92 did not have anything. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, iRage said:

Yes...the JDM requirements for the 8NR-FTS requires regular gasoline which can range anything from 91-95 octane depending on the supplier.  But on the other hand but on the other hand if you check the manual for a UK spec CHR with the same engine it says 95 Oct.

In SL, more than the octane, it could be whatever additives that may or may not be present in the two different types of fuel. I believe a few years ago it was stated that 95 had some additives which helps combustion and maintaining the purity of the fuel lines; whilst the 92 did not have anything. 

Agreed UK regular is 95 and super 98 and most of the cars in UK is tuned for 98. Mine being the JDM is happy to run on 92. According to CPC (from a well informed reliable source) they purchase fuel from different sources that meets their requirements. So there could be certain additives on some of the stocks. Any also you could get crappy fuel whether it is 92 or 95.

As a practice I pump only from few reliable stations for piece of mind knowing that your fuel is not mixed with "Bhumi Thel" or 95 with 92.

On my Macan I'm compelled to use 95 (minimum requirement) instead of 98 (recommended). Additive is used every 5000km as recommended by the agent.

All our family Japs whether JDM/ Domestic, Naturally aspirated/ Turbo/ Hybrid runs on 92 without any issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...