• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Real Meaning Of Car Sales Terminology

harshansenadhir

found this hilarious statements in a UK based forum where car sales terminology converted to the real meaning .. Still applicable in local context too, at least most of things I would say.

MUST SELL...before it blows up.

RUNS FINE...I was going to say "runs beautifully" but I had a last minute conscience attack.

NEEDS SOME BODY WORK...was blindsided by a Caravan.

WELL MAINTAINED...I changed the oil occasionally.

LOOKS LIKE NEW...just don't try to drive it anywhere.

ALL ORIGINAL...I never had anything fixed, adjusted, or replaced.

LOADED WITH OPTIONS...each one more troublesome than the next.

NEVER SMOKED IN...unfortunately, that's the best thing I can say about it.

PROJECT CAR...doesn't run.

LOTS OF POTENTIAL...doesn't run.

NEEDS MINOR REPAIR...doesn't run.

Needs Nothing - Except a tow truck.

Minor Rust - Don't sit down!

Minor Rust - Major rust you can’t see.

Low Mileage - Only 170,000.

Convertible - After driving under truck.

Runs Great - Too bad it doesn’t roll.

Alarm - Wires are cut to sell stolen.

Nice Stereo - To overcome exhaust noise.

Needs Paint - To cover rust.

New Paint - Beautifully covers rust.

Fully Loaded - Seller is too.

All Options - 8-track player.

Only 59,000 Miles - Well actually 359,000 miles but the clock doesn't show the 300,000.

Rare Model - One of 500,000 made.

Must Sell - Before the police find the owner.

Must Sell - Need bail money.

Summer Fun - Roof leaks in winter.

Summer Fun - Won't make it to autumn.

Reliable - Don't leave the neighbourhood.

Daily Driver - 400 miles a day.

Only Driven Sundays - Sunday is race day.

Engine Rebuilt - Engine degreased and steam cleaned to look it.

Doesn’t Smoke - No oil to burn, or 90wt oil.

Trans. Rebuilt - Fine sawdust used to make it quiet.

4 Speed Gearbox - 5th gear is dead.

Hurry, Won't Last - Neither will car.

New Tyres - Retreads years ago.

Well Maintained - Oil changed every other leap year.

Drives Like a Dream - Nightmare.

Car Cover - To help keep out rats.

Always Garaged - Embarrassed to leave it outside.

Family Owned - Driven by 6 teenagers.

Fully Restored - Nothing original.

Tax Till Next Year - Stolen tax disc.

Moving, Must Sell - Off to jail, need bail money.

..............New Paint - Beautifully covers rust............

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read in an auto magazine that repainting a vehicle adversely affects its resale value,

but nowadays most sellers emphasize on "New Paint" when they advertise their 20+ year old vehicles (especially Vans).

..............New Paint - Beautifully covers rust............

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read in an auto magazine that repainting a vehicle adversely affects its resale value,

but nowadays most sellers emphasize on "New Paint" when they advertise their 20+ year old vehicles (especially Vans).

Wonder why that is.... I mean, it's just a paint job, unless it was after an accident or something.

Wonder why that is.... I mean, it's just a paint job, unless it was after an accident or something.

maintaining a car in original paint has a value. In terms of usage, it surely is a better usage and the paint is proof of it sort of. Further, when re-painted, it won't last long like the original paint due to lots of reasons including material being used and if sand blasted (even using sand papers) the original electrode rust prevention coat (zinc coated) goes for a six and it'll be worse if welded with the oxy-acetylene torch. so chances of it's catching rust is high.

maintaining a car in original paint has a value. In terms of usage, it surely is a better usage and the paint is proof of it sort of. Further, when re-painted, it won't last long like the original paint due to lots of reasons including material being used and if sand blasted (even using sand papers) the original electrode rust prevention coat (zinc coated) goes for a six and it'll be worse if welded with the oxy-acetylene torch. so chances of it's catching rust is high.

Wow... so changing the paint just cause you feel like it is a bad idea? Is it impossible to repaint a vehicle well?

Wow... so changing the paint just cause you feel like it is a bad idea? Is it impossible to repaint a vehicle well?

duh, it aint a bad idea to re-paint. But if you can use a vehicle well with the original paint that's more than a re-painted vehicle if you failed to get the whole meaning of my reply. Further, no way you can reach the quality of the original paint (not the one the local car sales guys do :D) with the usage of body fillers such as cataloy or potty. They tend to react differently under extreme weathers (parking under the sun for long period of time for an example). Can get a close match if you use extremely quality stuff from the scratch to the last coat but the cost side of it will be pretty high. Therefore majority will settle for low cost, low quality material. That's why the market perception on re-painted vehicle is lower than a vehicle with better/well maintained original paint.