• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Drivers License In Sri Lanka

harsha69

I got my SL driver's license back in 90's and I moved to USA. I'm planning to go back home for a vacation and I would like to drive a vehicle, but I don't have my driver's license with me anymore. Even if I do, it would have been expired by now. Can I drive with an international driver's license in SL or do I have to re take the test and apply for a new SL license? I'm only going to be there for one month.

Thanks

I think you'll be fine as long as you have your US license on you. Most countries have a rule allowing foreign licenses to be valid for a certain period of time, I think..and as for Sri Lanka..there aren't many rules at all..as long as you have some card that has your photo and the word "license" on it you'll probably be good:)

But in all seriousness, I know my brother lost his SL license too and drives in Sri lanka with his american license every time he goes back, and no cops given him crap for it so far.

On the topic of sri lankan licenses..I have an interesting story. I got my sri lankan license a couple of years ago..and went in to get my american license with that (if you have a foreign one you can just take an open book test and take the practical without all the classes) and they were bitching about how it looked suspicious (but it was an original license). But anyway, they let it slide and let me take the test. A couple of months later, a friend of mine was in the same situation..and when he went in for the exam they confiscated his license, said they wouldnt let him take the exam..and tore the lamination off on the license to check if it was a fake. The guy ended up having to get an official letter from the DMV in Sri Lanka that it infact was an original license, demanding that they issue him a license, and give him his sri lankan one back.

Think one of the main issues is that licenses are issued by the DMV in sri lanka..and the american authorities get weirded out by that (they expect there to be a separate drivers license office). And I guess they have some database of international drivers licenses, and it didnt get updated after the sri lankan license changed. I guess the guy was doing his job confiscating the card, but he didn't have to tear it on two!

Anyway..to answer your question, I have no legal backing on this..but I think you'll be fine with your american license if you're just visiting for a month. But beware, driving in Sri Lanka is a totally different experience!!