• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Riding Outstation With A Learners Permit

Grid

My mechanic bought a an SR400 which was sitting a yard somehwere. Had patches of concrete on the thing when he dragged it home. it was truely scrap heap. He went at it for months and I saw the transformation on a weekly basis and it was one of the cleanest bikes I've seen when it was done. Point is, there's very little that is beyond saving.

If it's too tall, and since you love Supermotos, swap into 17" wheels and road tyres (which you need anyway) If I remeber right the stock front is 21"?. So the bike will be lower even before you mess around with the suspension, which again is an option.

The XR is a monster of old school goodness. Simple to maintain and hard to break. By the sounds of it, you just dragged it out of it's sleep and hopped on. So get the engine looked at and change fluids and filters.

Get the chassis to a professional and get an opinion. sand a rusted part down just to see how deep it goes. If you do it right, you might be able to own a mint bike at the fraction of the cost you're planning to shell out for a different bike.

I got the xr's engine and carb serviced.. replace engine oil put a new air filter ... ( total cost 4600 ) runs like a dream... like your'll said I checked to see if it was just surface rust by sanding it with an 80g sandpaper... most of it was just surface rust but the area near the swing arm bolt on the right side was completely rusted.. so I took it to a welder and asked him to get that fixed.. ( cost 600 ) and now it's pretty much perfect other than the rear tyre... I got an offer for 200,000 ... is it worth it?

I second Watchman's suggestion. If the bike is running so well, the cosmetic stuff is a relative breeze to take care of. You can attend to it as and when you can manage to invest time and money on it. You can keep using it in the mean time.

You can sell it for 200K but you will have to pay a whole lot more to replace it with anything close to it's character. If money is no object, that would be the easiest thing to do end of the day.

There is always such a thing as the known devil is better than the unknown saint.

Unless there is a good reason, you must never abandon a vehicle you know well and have gotten used to, because you already know its quirks and can compensate for that.

Newer is not always golden.