• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Total Cost Of Ownership

isurujosh

Now in many auto sites they give an indicator/measure called "Total Cost of Ownership", this looks at all aspects of owning a vehicle and come up with a total cost for about 5 years. Costs include.. deprecation of the vehicle(depends on initial cost - resale value), fuel bill(if you were to run a typical milage like 15000 miles per annum), insurance, maintenance etc...

And in the measure that they have in autos.yahoo.com Honda Civic had the lowest cost of ownership for a normal family saloon. I bumped into this while researching on cars like Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3 etc.

Imagine if it were in Sri Lanka... :D

untitledsu1.jpg

untitledlh9.jpg

Isuru,

Why did you publish such a thread....?

2 reasons

1) this says summin good about the civic (which we in SL dont get to experience)

2) i think by looking at the composition of this(i mean percentages) we can our selves compute a rough total cost of ownership. lot of ppl buy cars ignoring the total cost of ownership (instead only look at initial price) and later fall into trouble.

Isuru,

Why did you publish such a thread....?

Dude, who the heck do u think u are to question ppl on why they publish threads? This is interesting info, properly researched with sources cited. This aint like the time u quoted "market percentages" and said "anyone can see" or some such rot when questioned about sources.

Honestly, some ppl ...

Dude, who the heck do u think u are to question ppl on why they publish threads? This is interesting info, properly researched with sources cited. This aint like the time u quoted "market percentages" and said "anyone can see" or some such rot when questioned about sources.

Honestly, some ppl ...

Well sir, thank you for coming in. I did not reply earlier to Isuru with what you just said now in my head. The fact is you like to keep on questioning me too. Have a chilled beer and all will be fine.

@@Isuru, I couldnt help noticing that "repairs" is just 2% of the cost :alc:

Well sir, thank you for coming in. I did not reply earlier to Isuru with what you just said now in my head. The fact is you like to keep on questioning me too. Have a chilled beer and all will be fine.

@@Isuru, I couldnt help noticing that "repairs" is just 2% of the cost :alc:

well u shud also notice maintenance is 7% + repairs 2%... fair enough i guess.

according to the study the car will have run 15,000x5=75,000 miles over 5 years i.e. 120,000 km, with that kind of a mileage the normal Toyota's, Honda's, Nissans we know only give running reapirs like brake pads, shocks etc. all those come under 7% maintenance.

so all in all 9% of a totoal cost 35,000$=3150$ (315,000 Rs. over 5 years) spent on parts and labor on visits to the agent, fair enough I guess bro.

did u visit the source i have given, it'd explain in detail how they have come up with the costs... (of course we cannot apply them directly to SL conditions but the above proportions at least give a sense of direction) :)

well u shud also notice maintenance is 7% + repairs 2%... fair enough i guess.

according to the study the car will have run 15,000x5=75,000 miles over 5 years i.e. 120,000 km, with that kind of a mileage the normal Toyota's, Honda's, Nissans we know only give running reapirs like brake pads, shocks etc. all those come under 7% maintenance.

so all in all 9% of a totoal cost 35,000$=3150$ (315,000 Rs. over 5 years) spent on parts and labor on visits to the agent, fair enough I guess bro.

did u visit the source i have given, it'd explain in detail how they have come up with the costs... (of course we cannot apply them directly to SL conditions but the above proportions at least give a sense of direction) :alc:

hey brotha! Yes i visited the link you gave us. Did you see another coresponding thread for this as well? Hondas at 2nd?

The fact is you like to keep on questioning me too. Have a chilled beer and all will be fine.

No I don't. U are sadly mistaken. And don't flatter urself. I don't like it at all, but I have to moderate here.

And I don't drink, so I don't think much of ur remedies.

This brush off attitude is what got u ur last warning increase, remember that.

hey brotha! Yes i visited the link you gave us. Did you see another coresponding thread for this as well? Hondas at 2nd?

yeah i saw that. but how can lexus be trailing behind anyone. the only explanation that i can think of is that a lexus buyer would be paying a fanatical attention to detail/perfection that he is more likely to go for a repair on a small/negligable issue unlike a (say mitsubishi) owner :alc:

Trust me Peri, I dont have any attitude issue and im just a down to earth brotha. Its just you making a noise for nothing

"making noise for nothing" :) U make noise for nothing in just about every single thread to open up on AL on a just above post whoring level. "I think its ugly"(we don't care) "I didn't know..." (then don't post and show ur ignorance, just learn and move on). On and On and On .... :alc:

U need to learn when to stop. Stopped at the once sentence, u woulda been fine. Second sentence, pissing me off AGAIN. Stupid ....

Well i guess a number of factors come into play when coming with those statistics.. over there i suppose spare parts are easy to find thus no "blackmarket prices".. n the repair costs are not feasible over here as ya knw dude.. we got da smoothest road in all of asia.. but its interesting.. toyota s usually come in first when it comes to economical usage..

interesting linko which ll come handy later on.. hell.. i wish i were as interested in car market research as ya r lol..

OT - dude.. install an anti-virus (ESET NOD32) n a firewall (Zonealarm Pro) as ya ve got ADSL n ya dnt wanna get ya pc infected wit crapware... just noticed in ya screenshots that dere aint any shown..

Zz

OT - dude.. install an anti-virus (ESET NOD32) n a firewall (Zonealarm Pro) as ya ve got ADSL n ya dnt wanna get ya pc infected wit crapware... just noticed in ya screenshots that dere aint any shown..

Zz

he! he! i've been having norton installed since the beginning of time. itz hidden in the system tray :) . anyway i shall contact you to learn more about further security enhancements... will call you. tnx for the concern bro :alc:

holly crap... i just did the research for corolla and found out that corolla costs way less... for whatever reason yahoo has taken and civic and corolla in two segements. it was while i was reading about mazda3 sport i found civic as being listed as the least costsly vehicle in itz class. (itz not clear how yahoo does the segmentation... they only say rating for similar cars)

corollale6.jpg

Edited by isurujosh

he! he! i've been having norton installed since the beginning of time. itz hidden in the system tray :P . anyway i shall contact you to learn more about further security enhancements... will call you. tnx for the concern bro :alc:

getting back to what you said about toyota. i think the corolla has a lessor resale value than civic datz the reason i can think of why civic costs less(in longer run)... the younger(most likely 2nd hand buyers) prefer civic over corolla for obvious reasons :)

i aint no market researcher but from what i have experienced with people.. they would prefer corolla over civicz.. cuz i had plenty of buddies who wanted to go for a vehicle n ma first option was a civic.. they reject it and bring toyota up front..

n according to a few reviews which i ve read.. corolla s are receiving quite a good recognition for their performance/comfort arena.. personal opinion.. civics do not portray a family type of car.. this might be due to ma view of honda s being street performance machines and da way the civic owners portray the cars purpose.. racing etc. lolz..

btw have ya seen the Honda Jazz? beautiful car.. the front headlamps are a beauty n gives a very decent but "dnt-mes-wit-me!" look.. real nice.. i ve seen a black one twice around bamba..

get rid o norton.. dat ll slow down ya system like ****...

Zz

i aint no market researcher but from what i have experienced with people.. they would prefer corolla over civicz.. cuz i had plenty of buddies who wanted to go for a vehicle n ma first option was a civic.. they reject it and bring toyota up front..

n according to a few reviews which i ve read.. corolla s are receiving quite a good recognition for their performance/comfort arena.. personal opinion.. civics do not portray a family type of car.. this might be due to ma view of honda s being street performance machines and da way the civic owners portray the cars purpose.. racing etc. lolz..

btw have ya seen the Honda Jazz? beautiful car.. the front headlamps are a beauty n gives a very decent but "dnt-mes-wit-me!" look.. real nice.. i ve seen a black one twice around bamba..

get rid o norton.. dat ll slow down ya system like ****...

Zz

of course the corolla has better mass appeal which is why even in Honda loving USA the corolla sells nearly 400,000 and civic about 320,000 (approximately)... not sure about exact figures but corolla does sell better than civic. however i dont agree wit u dat corolla has reputation for performance over civic. u r sadly mistaken. i am not gonna argue wit u further over it anyway...

of course the corolla has better mass appeal which is why even in Honda loving USA the corolla sells nearly 400,000 and civic about 320,000 (approximately)... not sure about exact figures but corolla does sell better than civic. however i dont agree wit u dat corolla has reputation for performance over civic. u r sadly mistaken. i am not gonna argue wit u further over it anyway...

no no lolz.. once again i guess ma wordings aint put right lmao.. honda does have MORE performance than the corolla.. wut i meant by performance is not in terms of engine power/speed n related but in comfort, reliability, sturdiness.. if its pure "performance" then i d vote for the Honda maself :jumping-smiley-013: ... sigh.. n am stuck wit a corolla based replica.. da sprinter.. sniff.. n isuru.. i aint debating bro.. ya ve got more knowledge bout dese stuff dan i do.. so hel.. i am willing to listen! :lol:

Zz

Edited by neXGen

no no lolz.. once again i guess ma wordings aint put right lmao.. honda does have MORE performance than the corolla.. wut i meant by performance is not in terms of engine power/speed n related but in comfort, reliability, sturdiness.. if its pure "performance" then i d vote for the Honda maself :lol: ... sigh.. n am stuck wit a corolla based replica.. da sprinter.. sniff.. n isuru.. i aint debating bro.. ya ve got more knowledge bout dese stuff dan i do.. so hel.. i am willing to listen! :D

Zz

lol if itz pure performance for heavens sake dont vote for Honda. vote for a limited edition ferrari or the mighty Mclaren F1... :jumping-smiley-013::)

lemme rephrase dat lmao.. affordable "performance" heehee.. if dat makes any sense.. ado any idea about Honda Jazz dude?

Zz

gr8 hatch. same platform as city. 0-100 in about 8.5-9 secs for VTEC version. available in US mkt too. said to be a very good car. a good ricers car too. check http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/JazzVtec/index.html for all you ever wanted to know about it.

mainxm6.jpg

(read about it last year, can t remember exact details tho, so you can refresh my memory after reading the given article)

Performance Test Results

Best Average Worse

0-60 mph 8.77s 8.85s 8.94s

0-1/4 mile/Trap Speed 16.89s / 87.6mph 16.96s / 86.7mph 17.0s / 86.3mph

60-0 mph 133ft 137ft 139ft

Technical Specifications

Engine

Inline 4 cylinder 16Valves SOHC VTEC and PGM-Fi Displacement 1497cc

Bore X Stroke 73.0mm X 89.4mm

Compression 10.1 : 1

Max power 81kW (110ps) at 5800rpm

Max torque 143Nm (14.6kgm) at 4800rpm