• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nishan Weerasuriya Wins Mra Rally 2007

Velocity

Hey KLM Thanks for updating me about all the Happenings at MRA Rally.

Thumps upto Nishan and All the Other Drivers who competed. KLM has some pics which he will send to MADZ.

Speaking about Nishan, he is a master of Hill Climbs and has many records on many tracks. He stayed away from Racing. But i guess he is now back. He is a Super Driver. He is also the first person to Import a Evolution to Sri Lanka. A Very Low Profile Character.

Anyway Congrads to all the Drivers. Couple of Starlet GT also took part in the Event according to KLM. He will surely update everyone.

Thanks KLM.

Thumps upto Nishan and All the Other Drivers who competed. KLM has some pics which he will send to MADZ.

Speaking about Nishan, he is a master of Hill Climbs and has many records on many tracks. He stayed away from Racing. But i guess he is now back. He is a Super Driver. He is also the first person to Import a Evolution to Sri Lanka. A Very Low Profile Character.

Anyway Congrads to all the Drivers. Couple of Starlet GT also took part in the Event according to KLM. He will surely update everyone.

Thanks KLM.

thanx for the info... two Thumps up to Nishan :lol: .. any pics... :jumping-smiley-013:

Thanks KLM.

Wow! Low profile character doing big!! Awaiting photos!

Thanks KLM.

Thanks Velocity for the update...hay KLM pls send pics to [email protected]

Thanks,

Hey heard Ameen Deane Came First In the First Stage in a Starlet GT. Pretty Impresive Driving I guess.

Does any one know the overall Results. Heard the RAV 4 had some technical Difficulties.

Also congrads Nishan. Well done on your wins. Nice to see Back. Hopefull you will place more records in the Nuwaraeliya Season.

Dimantha, thanks for updating AL with the results.

It was a great rally, guys. Nishan Weerasooria & Sriomal De Silva deserve all the praise they gets for winning, considering the fact that they beat the reigning event champions and 2006 National Rally Champions Dinesh Deheragoda & Mushtaq Ahamed.

Nishan won 5 of the 6 stages and beat Dinesh's record for the fastest average speed recorded on a special stage in Sri Lanka. Last year at this same rally Dinesh clocked 100.3 kmph on the final stage to narrowly beat Mansur Hassen's Ford Lazer Sport (which did 96 kmph) but this year Nishan shattered that record by averaging 104.5 kmph on SS5.

Ameen Deane & Taffy Alahakoon indeed won the first stage in the Prime Auto Care Starlet GT but unfortunately suffered some issues later on which prevented them from contending for the overall win. The true stars of the first stage were Maneen Amadoru & Mudith Liyanage in the distinctive orange Starlet GT, finishing 4th overall in their first rally stage despite being held up by another competitor and having to stop to wipe thick mud off the windscreen. In fact, they beat Nishan on that stage but unfortunately had an accident on the following stage and were eliminated.

The rest of the guys had their ups and downs. Rizvi Farouk & Akhry Ameer had 3 really good stages where they were only about 20 seconds slower than Dinesh each time but car issues relegated them to a poor finish. Shafraz Junaid & Ashan Silva set some good times in the 4WD Grand Civic (including a great SS1) and finished 3rd overall, just managing to hold off the hard-charging Tariq Hassan in the Toyota Hilux (navigated by AL's own Sundown).

Pelawatte is stunning country. I love being out in the middle of 15,000 hectares of sugarcane, especially in the night. Its really beautiful out there and the occasional showers didn't dampen the spirits of the competitors. Big up to all the guys who took part, especially Nishan and Dinesh who put on a show for the ages.

Madhawa I'm out of the country right now but when I get back I'll try to drop off a CD of pics and video clips.

Congrats Nishan!! and also Dinesh D, Shafraz and rest of the participants. Its amazing to have 5 stage wins out of 6. an also a record breaking run. Great !!! Hope to see you more on racing arena in future.

Heard dinesh senanayake couldn't compete due to mechanical failure in his bullet RAV4 even before the the rally starts. if not he could have given a good fight with evos.

beside of the rally competitors, heard our forum member KLM has done a great job as clerk of the course in this rally and followed by a nice post :P

Edited by Grand Civic

Hey KLM,

Please let us know the Timings of the Rally when you get Back to SL

thanks again.

Here are the official timings provided by Mivec.Turbo.

Timings given below in HH:MM:SS format

Nishan Weerasooriya – 1:55:44

Dinesh Deheragoda – 1:59:35

Shafraz Junaid – 2:16:30

Tariq Hassan – 2:18:24

Rohan Fonseka – 2:25:33

Reyaz Farook – 2:56:21

Ameen Deane – 2:57:26

Rizvi Faruk – 3:28:09

Edited by Grand Civic

For the record Nishan Weerasuriya this year and Mansu Hassen last year drove with the same co-driver. The year before Tariq Hassen won the Rally Championship for Trucks and Jeeps with the same co-driver. Nishan drove a Hindustan Mitsubishi Lancer in the First FIA Standard Rally 2002 with the same co-driver.

Co-drivers do give good drivers an edge if they know to use it. The circuit needs more co-drivers.

Also dont forget that Tariq drove a diesel Hilux with the Evos and other fast cars to finish 4th. Another gutsy driver. Mansu should have been there too. Hope he gets back soon.

• 2 weeks later...