• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Clutch Woes - Toyota Carina At192

Ripper

Question

posting this for a buddy who is not a member at AL

I have a problem with my clutch. After excessive use (eg: being in a traffic jam for about 30 min), the pressure in the clutch pedal disappears. It starts to freely depress (absolutely no give) and come back up on its own. Obviously i cannot engage the gear. After the car cools or about 2 -3 hours later, the clutch works fine.

The chronology of problems is as follows:

1/ May 2008: the problem first appears. Sudath in Kalubowilla replaces my upper and lower clutch kit. Problem sorted.

2/ Feb 2009: the prob happened again. Wasantha - in Borella - changed the washer in the clutch pump. Problem sorted.

3/ May 2009, faced the same issue. This time, Wasantha removed the gear box and welded/fixed the clutch fork which was damaged and replaced the ball bearing. He clearly told me that there wasn't a problem in the clutch plates.

4/ June 2009, it happens again. Wasantha removes clutch pump, looks for leaks, and after failing to find anything wrong, replaced the washer again. The clutch seemed fine until afternoon of the same day. I had been in traffic and the clutch gave in again. This time Wasantha reduced the play in the clutch. Unfortunately, till now, the problem has not gone away.

I don't think that Wasantha has any more solution in fixing this issue. But it needs fixing. Driving the car for long durations or in traffic is a nightmare. Is there any person out there who could give me a solution or point me to someone who can?

2 answers to this question

posting this for a buddy who is not a member at AL

First when tproblem starts just open the bonnet and see that when you press the clutch top pump the reaction comes from the bottom pump.

So, if it a fault of the clutch pumps. I guess air is entrapped inbetween or inside the pumps. As you said it happens when engine becomes hot I think that is the cause. Check for proper priming and check the pipe line for u bends up side. Also check the pumps, if the pump slopes other side of the bleeding vale this can occur. Also, replace brake oil completely with the one in Yellow container (when brake oil get deteriorate it evaporates at lower temperatures causing gas inside the system). Further, if the system error is the pump you can manually press the arm with a lever and enguage the gears

If it is a fault of the clutch plate. Try replacing it.

First when tproblem starts just open the bonnet and see that when you press the clutch top pump the reaction comes from the bottom pump.

So, if it a fault of the clutch pumps. I guess air is entrapped inbetween or inside the pumps. As you said it happens when engine becomes hot I think that is the cause. Check for proper priming and check the pipe line for u bends up side. Also check the pumps, if the pump slopes other side of the bleeding vale this can occur. Also, replace brake oil completely with the one in Yellow container (when brake oil get deteriorate it evaporates at lower temperatures causing gas inside the system). Further, if the system error is the pump you can manually press the arm with a lever and enguage the gears

If it is a fault of the clutch plate. Try replacing it.

I have something smiler. I recently changed my manual gear oil and i dont know whether its related to this. My problem is, when i press the clutch padel some noice comes from the the engine area. I thought its the clutch release cylinder, but my mechanic told me its due to faulty pressure plate and this sound comes only when the system is hot. and it comes regardless of whether the engine is running or stoped. any idea where the problem is.