• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Corolla

anjulau78

Question

Dear Firends,

I have a toyota crolla AE-102 manual gear wagon which is EFI/4E engine on it. when I ride the vehicle it running about 40 Km/h (with 3rd or 4th gear) of speed without pushing the accelerator. So I thing its idle engine speed is little bit higher than the normal. This vehicle I bought was one month ago and I have noticed this from the first day..

Please advice me this is normal or not..

Edited by anjulau78

6 answers to this question

the better way to check the idle is when the car is 'idling'. meaning, when its not moving, gear in neutral, and no pressure on the accelerator. the RMP would greatly vary depending on the load thats on the car, the road's incline, the gear you're on as well as other factors.

Just curious though, what made you want to check the idle when the car is moving?

Dear Firends,

I have a toyota crolla AE-102 manual gear wagon which is EFI/4E engine on it. when I ride the vehicle it running about 40 Km/h (with 3rd or 4th gear) of speed without pushing the accelerator. So I thing its idle engine speed is little bit higher than the normal. This vehicle I bought was one month ago and I have noticed this from the first day..

Please advice me this is normal or not..

Dilesh is right. U R not clear anjulau78, what do you exactly mean by 'the car runs 40 Km/h (with 3rd or 4th gear)' ??? Is it like you start-off, up-shift to top gear and let go of the accelerator pedal?

The engine rev level might be set too high if you shift to first gear from a standstill on a flat road (not a slope or a climb) and if the car moves without accelerating. Typically engine should knock and stop the moment you let go of the clutch.

Dilesh is right. U R not clear anjulau78, what do you exactly mean by 'the car runs 40 Km/h (with 3rd or 4th gear)' ??? Is it like you start-off, up-shift to top gear and let go of the accelerator pedal?

The engine rev level might be set too high if you shift to first gear from a standstill on a flat road (not a slope or a climb) and if the car moves without accelerating. Typically engine should knock and stop the moment you let go of the clutch.

Thanks for reply..

No I start with the 1st gear and shift the gears one by one. When gear shift to the 3rd/4th, the car is moving at 40Km/h without pushing accelerator (I used the word "idle" for that scenario, and sorry for mislead) on the flat road.

I also noticed that even on the 1st/2nd gears with 20-30Km/h without pushing accelerator. But have to push accelerator to start moving from standstill to 1st gear. also no Knock and stop

So.. I think those information would be useful

Edited by anjulau78

No, that just isnt enough IMO.

why dont you just let the engine idle when the car's not moving and look at the Tachometer? And then let us know how much it reads and i'm sure our guys should be able to tell you if its idling too high/low.

this model does not comes with rpm meter. thats why I asking whether that the running speed without pushing accelarator is above normal or not... I think bettermeet a EFI engine tuning guy

this model does not comes with rpm meter. thats why I asking whether that the running speed without pushing accelarator is above normal or not... I think bettermeet a EFI engine tuning guy

that method is not good enough to evaluate your RPM or anything else in that department afaik...

best is to then take it to a efi tuning place where they can easily measure your idling rpm...

even somewhat decently equipped garages should also have the portable rpm meter that they can use to measure the rpm