• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import Tax Slashed By 50%

crdesilva

i can confirm that those prices are about right. the axio x price that i know is for a car with 57k on the clock therefore tharaka's POV is true too. i know an axio G too that is being cleared during this week by a friend. i am not aware of too many details but the car costs 3.7 mil.

I don't know the resons for the differences, but those prices are correct & reliable. One reason may be that they got it as soon as the tax was reduced and may be CIF price was lower at that time.

Slightly off tangent but the used car market "CRASH" many predicted hasn't happened so far! :P

few friends have been on the market for cars and they can't find anything decent for post tax reduction prices... Popular makes that had demand kept in good condition are more or less selling for the same price before taxes came down...

A few folks have sold their cars without suffering huge losses as expected...

Harshan...what do you say man? has the market crashed???? Or should we wait a few more months and see how it goes...

Slightly off tangent but the used car market "CRASH" many predicted hasn't happened so far! :P

few friends have been on the market for cars and they can't find anything decent for post tax reduction prices... Popular makes that had demand kept in good condition are more or less selling for the same price before taxes came down...

A few folks have sold their cars without suffering huge losses as expected...

Harshan...what do you say man? has the market crashed???? Or should we wait a few more months and see how it goes...

oh talk about it, now its about time all those long waited imports to reach shores and sales. In fact sales are now filled with axios, vitz, belta's and what not. Still the prices remains more or less same. Reason is? Loan rates are down and it'll further reduce to single digit they say. So people continue to buy without bothering to wait till market crash one day. You got to see number of inquiries coming to banking and financial institutes for new facilities, they're overloaded.

So this one fine day has not yet occurred even after 2 months. Lets wait more and more and see since no body can't stop a person from dreaming.

out of curiosity.. arent there any european 2nd hand cars coming in.. i mean even DIM0 imported 'pre-owned' cars right.. i'd imagine those too would be of relatively greater demand now?

saw a new c-class running in kohuwala with UK number plates today. :D

saw a new c-class running in kohuwala with UK number plates today. :D

ahh the world starts to make sense :)

Personally if i were the owner i'd not run like that.. shows that the car is 2nd hand... and with premium brands like mercs or BMWs you'd look cooler and more V*P-ish if you ran with no plates than UK plates (which show that your car is 2nd hand),

apparently now you can get a 2010 c class for 6.7 mil (fully loaded) through the right contacts. i'd anyday go for that over an allion.

Are you serious?? There's all kinds of stories floating around but this seems way too good to be true :blink:

ahh the world starts to make sense :)

Personally if i were the owner i'd not run like that.. shows that the car is 2nd hand... and with premium brands like mercs or BMWs you'd look cooler and more V*P-ish if you ran with no plates than UK plates (which show that your car is 2nd hand),

I like your thinking Dili. I thought cars D*MO sold as pre-owned were the locally used ones?

apparently now you can get a 2010 c class for 6.7 mil (fully loaded) through the right contacts. i'd anyday go for that over an allion.

Unofficial brandnew?

Car imports soar after duty slash

The Department of Motor Vehicles yesterday said import of cars has seen a dramatic increase with the reduction of vehicle import duty. According to Department statistics, 5,762 cars were registered by the Department last year while the Department has registered more than 4,079 cars upto August 1 this year.

The number of vehicle imports also rose last month when compared to the figures in the corresponding period last year. The Department registered 17,636 vehicles in July last year while this figure rose to 33,421 in July this year. Over 17,000 motorcycles were imported last month and the total number of vehicle imports up to August 1, 2010 exceeded 185,000, sources said.

Car imports soar after duty slash

The Department of Motor Vehicles yesterday said import of cars has seen a dramatic increase with the reduction of vehicle import duty. According to Department statistics, 5,762 cars were registered by the Department last year while the Department has registered more than 4,079 cars upto August 1 this year.

The number of vehicle imports also rose last month when compared to the figures in the corresponding period last year. The Department registered 17,636 vehicles in July last year while this figure rose to 33,421 in July this year. Over 17,000 motorcycles were imported last month and the total number of vehicle imports up to August 1, 2010 exceeded 185,000, sources said.

not healthy news for SL foreign reserves nor monthly fuel bill of the entire country.

I like your thinking Dili. I thought cars D*MO sold as pre-owned were the locally used ones?

Unofficial brandnew?

yeah unoffcial brand new. you know that i have this ability to find the cheapest deals in town ney ;) ... he is a small timer who has worked for mercedes in dubai sometime ago and now doing his own business in SL. bdw this is a pre-order price.

Edited by isurujosh

This cant be true no way can a 2010 c class go for that cheap...... Has anybody purchased from this guy?

So looks like alof of people are buying unreg cars....heard the jdm fd civic can be bought for 4:2 mil

if u r serious about buying then i can pass down his contact details to you and then you can see for your self. i did not buy a c class from him. actually when i tried to approach him for a poor man's axio corolla only bugger tried to sell da c class to me for the price that i mentioned :blink:

Edited by isurujosh

yeah unoffcial brand new. you know that i have this ability to find the cheapest deals in town ney ;) ... he is a small timer who has worked for mercedes in dubai sometime ago and now doing his own business in SL. bdw this is a pre-order price.

If its an actaul zero milage car that is a deal and a half. I suspect it has been slightly used in UK (still YOM 2010 or 09) to be able to offer at that price.

So this dude what does he do in SL? Running a garage for Euro cars????

i think its possible since there is a 1.6ltr c-class available. im not pretty sure whether it could be a 2010 or so, may be a 2008 since there would be a depreciation on the tax as well. no offence to anyone, just saying with my experience, not arguing. :)

If its an actaul zero milage car that is a deal and a half. I suspect it has been slightly used in UK (still YOM 2010 or 09) to be able to offer at that price.

So this dude what does he do in SL? Running a garage for Euro cars????

i am not entirely sure about 0 mileage as i did not dig deep about the c class as my attention was on something else. and yes he is now running a garage for euro cars, especially mercs.

i think its possible since there is a 1.6ltr c-class available. im not pretty sure whether it could be a 2010 or so, may be a 2008 since there would be a depreciation on the tax as well. no offence to anyone, just saying with my experience, not arguing. :)

i am not sure about the specifics machan. but if u r interested then i can pass down contact info. bdw even if it is 1.6L still it'd be supercharged so way more torquey and powerful than allion's n.a. engine.

Edited by isurujosh

i am not sure about the specifics machan. but if u r interested then i can pass down contact info. bdw even if it is 1.6L still it'd be supercharged so way more torquey and powerful than allion's n.a. engine.

true, i was actually referring to the difference of the tax rate for the 1.6 vs the usual 1.8 of the c class. :D

I think buying a Maruti has become THE topic now. My example has been taken quite out of context by most people.

I think in the Maruti example if I used "some people will buy a BN Maruti" instead of "I will buy a BN Maruti", people may have understood better what I was trying to explain (beasue people DO buy Marutis. It is an option for THEM). Phew :mellow:

Please please understand the context in which I was talking. I will let you guys discuss Maruti vs rest (I am least bothered because my bracket is none of these). All what I will do is that after three months time I would be happy to reopen this thread to see where we actually stand in the second hand market (the context in which I was talking about). My apologies for anyone who got offended with my sarcasm. :(

For three months time, bye bye for this thread <_<

HOO HOO........ !! :P:P:lol:

Soon I can import a car from Japan. I wanted to get a CIVIC FD1 1.8. All the contacts I have in Japan except one does not like the idea of getting down one. Cost would be around 4.4 mil.

Few people said that there is no Civics manufactured in Japan now. All the JDMs there are Singapore imports!!!

I wonder this could be true.

If not for Civic, choice would be between Allion 1.5 (4.5-4.7 mil) or Axio G (3.6-4.2). There are way too many Allions on the road for the money you pay. Axio is a very economical car and perhaps for the money you pay one has to accept their commonness.

Edited by kaushama

Soon I can import a car from Japan. I wanted to get a CIVIC FD1 1.8. All the contacts I have in Japan except one does not like the idea of getting down one. Cost would be around 4.4 mil.

Few people said that there is no Civics manufactured in Japan now. All the JDMs there are Singapore imports!!!

I wonder this could be true.

If not for Civic, choice would be between Allion 1.5 (4.5-4.7 mil) or Axio G (3.6-4.2). There are way too many Allions on the road for the money you pay. Axio is a very economical car and perhaps for the money you pay one has to accept their commonness.

FD1's are prety hard to find in Japan. There's lot of FD3 though if anyone has the balls to bring one down.

Edited by xXx