• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Couple Of Pajero Io Electrical Questions

jdnet

Sorry to create so many threads but these are a few questions I highly doubt the search feature would help me with.

So when I bought my pajero the previous owner had the tv at the center of the dash together with the fog light and hazzard switches stolen. After searching almost everywhere I managed to find a clock that fits where the tv originally went (there was an option between the clock and tv for this year) together with the missing switched. So here are my problems.

1. I have one end of the connector that goes to the clock without anything on the other end and cannot find there the original harness connections went. Would it be safe to tap into the positive, ground and accessory wires on the stereo harness in order to power the clock? I'm not sure what the current draw would be like. I doubt that it could be that bad.

2. The fog light switch I recieved was a 99 and my io is a 2000. The connectors are slightly different so will not fit, but, they do have the same number of wires. Would it be safe to assume that the wires are the same and just cut the harness and solder the wires directly to the connector?

This was the only fog light switch I could find and the only other option is UM and they wanted something like 7000 just for that switch.

BTW all other switched including the window switch was plug and play.

Edited by jdnet

ok so im an idiot. Seems that I put in the switch the wrong way. I swear I tried every possible way to stick it in but suddenly when I was just playing around it went in. Kinda like your first time in the bedroom. Joke. Anyway everything other than the clock is done because I haven't been able to locate the harness with my flashlight. Should give it another shot in the morning. BTW the inside of the dash was a complete wiring mess. It took me a good hour tracing down blank wires and cutting them off. It seems like someone tried to wire a house in there.

well most of our auto electrician chaps use the quickest and the dirtiest way to get things done...they will splice into anything and everything cos most guys work with trial and error and not with schematic...

This is not to say that they are worthless idiots but most folks i have seen dont do a neat and tidy job :)

so i too try to do stuff on my own and only take to an "electrician" when things are just way over my head

and yeah...the clock draws very little power so tapping into your stereo's acc wiring shouldn't be an issue at all imho

well most of our auto electrician chaps use the quickest and the dirtiest way to get things done...they will splice into anything and everything cos most guys work with trial and error and not with schematic...

This is not to say that they are worthless idiots but most folks i have seen dont do a neat and tidy job :)

so i too try to do stuff on my own and only take to an "electrician" when things are just way over my head

and yeah...the clock draws very little power so tapping into your stereo's acc wiring shouldn't be an issue at all imho

Yeah I ended up tapping into the stereo wiring this morning. Clock works fine. I also ended up removing all the dash board panels, the center console and the seats to finally figure out thiw wiring mess. Ended up removing more than five meters of wiring of all sorts (antenna, subs etc.) I think all the wiring work is done for not. I just have to solder the clock connections later today as I ran out of solder. I guess the only thing I really have to do with the io now is to change the spark plugs. Any idea what the gap should be? Having a tough time finding info online.

Also for the electrical wiring especially under the dash which heats up a lot - try to use heat shrinking tubing as far as possible over normal electrical tape which won't come apart when it heats up. Much neater job and better protection. Only thing is that you need to put the heat tube piece into the splice before actually soldiering the joints together. Strangely the BMW standard for all wiring joints is only using double ended crimps of varying sizes and heat shrinking. They don't use soldiering strangely.

Cheers,

Edited by MadMMX

Also for the electrical wiring especially under the dash which heats up a lot - try to use heat shrinking tubing as far as possible over normal electrical tape which won't come apart when it heats up. Much neater job and better protection. Only thing is that you need to put the heat tube piece into the splice before actually soldiering the joints together. Strangely the BMW standard for all wiring joints is only using double ended crimps of varying sizes and heat shrinking. They don't use soldiering strangely.

Cheers,

Yeah I always heat shrink my wiring. I need to go get some tubing along with solder tomorrow. I've actually seen quite a few bad things happen when people used cheap electrical tape and it came apart. BTW didn't know that about BMWs. Never worked on one myself would be interesting to see it. Got any pics of BMW's wiring?

Edited by jdnet